Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
"Zidane"
  • i use this all the time but dont know if others are so reckon its best to ask. Mental aspect of the game, Zizou is a perfect example of a player that in most games drifted in and out while in big games and big moments you could always count on him to be at his best. So, shall we rate them as such and should their value go up with draft moving to the final stages? Same applies to bottlers that have a history of shrinking in big moments - Higuain comes first to mind.
Not sure yet how much I dig it, but it would give this guy a huge boost

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Injuries
  • what are people thoughts on it? Personally i love it as it emphasis on the squad rather then the "same" XI from R1 to the Final.
Good idea.

Peaks
  • id implement a rule where everyone has to announce peaks after the drafting is finished so once you get a draw the opponent can research it and see if there are any loopholes.
Good idea.

"Zidane"
  • i use this all the time but dont know if others are so reckon its best to ask. Mental aspect of the game, Zizou is a perfect example of a player that in most games drifted in and out while in big games and big moments you could always count on him to be at his best. So, shall we rate them as such and should their value go up with draft moving to the final stages? Same applies to bottlers that have a history of shrinking in big moments - Higuain comes first to mind.
I have no idea but this point is worth discussing. I doubt that this point would be universally accepted, but I'd like to move towards it.

Himannv

few questions and ideas:wenger:

Injuries
  • what are people thoughts on it? Personally i love it as it emphasis on the squad rather then the "same" XI from R1 to the Final.
  • also, i used a system where i randomized a number for each team separately, talking with physio he is planning to use a different method where everyone lose a player from the same round. More fair but also more boring :D
I found it a hindrance at first but I've found myself adjusting and drafting for positions where I may need reinforcements, so it's added a different and interesting aspect on the whole. It is a bit hard to cover for all positions with smaller squads and having to change formations etc. as well so that's quite hard to do. So, you might have drafted brilliantly and tried to select with cover in mind but may still lose the draft on account of pure dumb luck.

Peaks
  • id implement a rule where everyone has to announce peaks after the drafting is finished so once you get a draw the opponent can research it and see if there are any loopholes.
I'm not sure I get what we're trying to achieve with this and also peaks in general. Are we talking about a player like Schweinstiger being an LB in the selected peak while he's being played as a CM or some scenario like that?

"Zidane"
I think drafters are free to highlight these kind of points in their writeups if they want to - how people rate players is up to them though. :lol:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
With the peaks idea, it would give an additional idea of which version of a player you would use which could be good or bad, not sure. Also are you thinking the peaks could be changed after reinforcements so another drafter could play say another version of Scholes or would you want them fixed throughout? That might make thematic sense that it is this version of a player that was drafted, not another.

On the mentality point, @oneniltothearsenal made that argument a while back

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I'm not sure I get what we're trying to achieve with this and also peaks in general. Are we talking about a player like Schweinstiger being an LB in the selected peak while he's being played as a CM or some scenario like that?
Not really, just a chance for both parties to actually find out more about player at their specific peak. IMO older players are getting away with it as we dont really know much compared to the ones that we watch every week. For example poor Vidic(and Terry but nobody cares :D) gets crucified against fast strikers while we know feck all who gave someone like Moore problems on a regular basis. Knowing peaks in advance gives you a chance to research it a bit.

I think drafters are free to highlight these kind of points in their writeups if they want to - how people rate players is up to them though. :lol:
tbf this was a question not a rule suggestions or someone like that, im interested to hear if people use the mental aspect or not :)

With the peaks idea, it would give an additional idea of which version of a player you would use which could be good or bad, not sure. Also are you thinking the peaks could be changed after reinforcements so another drafter could play say another version of Scholes or would you want them fixed throughout? That might make thematic sense that it is this version of a player that was drafted, not another.

On the mentality point, @oneniltothearsenal made that argument a while back
you can change it of course but again, announce the changes a day or two before QF/SF/F games

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Injuries - Good idea. But we need a bigger squad for that. 12 first team players plus 3 bench players. Can tweak the criteria to ensure bench players are weaker than first team players.

Peaks - We should move away from this totally. Everyone is aware of most players peak years and position, so it's all relative. No need to define a specific time period at all.

Zidane - Again more on eye of beholder and such. Would just leave it to voters to consider.

Šjor Bepo

i know physio is planning to do the next draft but reckon we should do one for Diego :(

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
You can pick anyone but you just need to have Diego as the star in your team.

Would be a bit weird if everyone had Maradona in their team but that could be interesting.

Another idea I had was, anyone who has played with Maradona or against him would be eligible.

Šjor Bepo

first draft where everyone is playing 352:lol: like it though.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, the more I think about, the more a build around Diego draft could be awesome especially as everyone will also have to think about how to stop him too. If we throw injuries into the mix as well to liven it up each round.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
i know physio is planning to do the next draft but reckon we should do one for Diego :(
Aye, would be nice to do one as a tribute to him in our strange little corner of the internet :(

You can pick anyone but you just need to have Diego as the star in your team.
Thought of this myself and I like it. Drafting priorities might be enjoyably weird, with everyone scrambling for the top DMs instead of the marquee #10s, yet the most vaunted DM of the lot not really cutting the mustard.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm thinking a block list would be a good idea to stop GOAT XIs and to make sure Maradona remains the star. Not sure who to block though

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm thinking a block list would be a good idea to stop GOAT XIs and to make sure Maradona remains the star. Not sure who to block though
This is the best idea, block the top tier GOATs.

But yeah we need a Diego remembrance draft :(

Šjor Bepo

lets make some lists :D

himans everybody's got Diego
1. Sjor

enigmas criterias around Diego
1. Sjor

anything from anybody
1. Sjor

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Is anyone else up for a Diego draft? Either criteria or build around Diego. I reckon the latter could be interesting and different from what we normally do

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Looks like the Diego draft isn't getting much interest. Here's a completely different suggestion.

1992-2012 draft. All players must have their declared performance years between these dates (1992 means the start of the 92/93 European Season. 2012 includes the Euros.

Of the players with obvious peaks before 1992 but who played a lot post 92 will need a profile in the OP so voters know which version of the player it is. This will also help the general understanding of players in different time periods.

Messi is blocked throughout the draft. No shenanigans but injuries will take place (I have an idea for fair injuries). Squad sizes of 15.

Anyone in?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Looks like the Diego draft isn't getting much interest. Here's a completely different suggestion.

1992-2012 draft. All players must have their declared performance years between these dates (1992 means the start of the 92/93 European Season. 2012 includes the Euros.

Of the players with obvious peaks before 1992 but who played a lot post 92 will need a profile in the OP so voters know which version of the player it is. This will also help the general understanding of players in different time periods.

Messi is blocked throughout the draft. No shenanigans but injuries will take place (I have an idea for fair injuries). Squad sizes of 15.

Anyone in?
Yeah sounds good to me that one.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Anyone in?
Minimum game count? Thinking how you deal with Van Basten here.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Minimum game count? Thinking how you deal with Van Basten here.
He should be treated like another player who has a one great half season but was injured for two other years.

I suppose it could be easier to say that the player must have played at least one game in three consecutive seasons within the time frame to be eligible to avoid this problem though

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He should be treated like another player who has a one great half season but was injured for two other years.

I suppose it could be easier to say that the player must have played at least one game in three consecutive seasons within the time frame to be eligible to avoid this problem though
Yeah I'd go with the 1 game in 3 consecutive seasons, cuts off those that retired at the start of the criteria as well that way.

Himannv

How about the build around Diego draft then? There'll be some standard blocks, but apart from that you can pair him up with anyone you like and come up with your own themes - the only rule is that Diego must be the main man. Obviously everyone gets Diego before the draft starts. I'll run it if there's enough interest.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
How about the build around Diego draft then? There'll be some standard blocks, but apart from that you can pair him up with anyone you like and come up with your own themes - the only rule is that Diego must be the main man. Obviously everyone gets Diego before the draft starts. I'll run it if there's enough interest.
I'd be interested in that

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
In

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Imagine debates about whose Diego was a better player.