Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Annahnomoss

What draft format do you prefer? I've only played sheep and snake, not tried auction yet. Are there more? I feel the snake one is better for shaping the team but i think i prefer the sheep concept. Felt more challenging and i enjoyed the anticipation before the picks were revealed.
I think we should try to get two-three different ideas together and then we will have votes about it. After all it is just about what the managers feels like playing for the moment. Or at least narrow it down and vote on whether to play Snake/Sheep/Auction.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sounds good. Both International and Club teammates, right?
Nah, Just club. But everyone has a "country" card to play once if the club link gets dry.

Been thinking more about this:

- 2 rounds of block lists to get rid of the super stars.
- 1st pick will be decided by SHEEP mode. If you get a sheep, 1st pick will be a legacy (not a sheep) player allotted by the mod.
- Snake draft with club linked players.
- If club link gets dry, can play the 'country link' card. One time use only.
- Probably will throw in some nationality/DoB restrictions later.

Moby

Dick
Cool. Legacy instead of sheep seems fine. Just no random legacy additions/suspension/injuries etc. It's fun but a small removal or addition, specially midway into the draft can feck things up bad, specially these days when people invest a lot of time and thought in constructing their teams and explaining them.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What do you guys think of a Chain draft?

1st pick is open.
2nd pick can only be a player who has played with 1st pick.
3rd pick will be a player who has played with the 2nd pick and so on.

With a 3 players/nation limit, this should be interesting.
Cracking idea.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nah, Just club. But everyone has a "country" card to play once if the club link gets dry.

- 1st pick will be decided by SHEEP mode. If you get a sheep, 1st pick will be a legacy (not a sheep) player allotted by the mod.
Sounds good... :)

NM

Sign me up! Sounds awesome

Annahnomoss

Probably because I go more for fun than actually quality. It all turns out like a team building activity for school kids. :D

Will you play?
Probably not, but not going to say no definitely as of yet. What will the overall criteria be? All-time draft with that chain draft idea(sounds very original).

Annahnomoss

I don't know. Didn't expect to be running this any time
soon. What do you suggest?
What is the idea in more detail. If I pick David Beckham, can I then pick any teammate from his time at a club and the player who is picked is always in a supposed peak? Or does it mean that I can't pick Ronaldo at his peak together with David Beckham because Ronaldo's peak wasn't when they played together?

Annahnomoss

I like this.

How does the auction thing work?
Players are available after a/some criteria, the same manner as in all drafts. But instead of having a random lottery to decide who gets to pick in which order - every manager gets a transfer sum of say 300m and you get to buy the available players.

Benefits of it is that you don't sit around for 1-3 days to make your pick, which you can't predict so you more or less idle these hours. You are also much more in charge of which players you will pick and there are a lot more tactics in it as you can either splash the cash and get three first round draft worthy players in your team and then fill it up with players for the minimum 10 m bids - or you can draft together say six 3rd round quality players etc.

Negatives: It is the least popular draft, It is a format that is still new so there are issues to iron out.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Only played in one auction draft, the British All time draft.. and I thought in patches it was absolutely brilliant. So addictive. Ran out of steam at some stages but if planned correctly, really good fun.

Annahnomoss

Only played in one auction draft, the British All time draft.. and I thought in patches it was absolutely brilliant. So addictive. Ran out of steam at some stages but if planned correctly, really good fun.
Needs some work though. For me the deal breaker has been that we have decided to put X amount of players on the transfer list which then ruins the entire purpose of the draft. Whatever players gets put on the list early will go for massive fees and if you want say Pirlo together with Kaka then you can't bid on them both and you have no clue how much the other one will go for.

In the current format it has been as slow as the snake drafts, waiting for the "round to end" especially the last rounds where you aren't necessarily buying any of the players in the "current round".

I think we've been trying to make it too much like a snake draft rather than just letting it be what it is. The auction draft is by far the funniest at its peak as it is all action. The reinforcement rounds needs some changes as well, maybe not being an auction draft at all etc.

Marty1968

All sound good ideas....won't throw any in myself to confuse matters....

Would be up for being in the next one

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For my money auction/criteria isn't an ideal combo. Criteria means the possibility of out-researching the opposition and dig up someone nobody else had thought of – and that edge goes right out the window when you have to put your gem up for sale, so to speak, anyway.

Auction works best alone, IMO – or alternatively as part of a multi-themed draft with entirely separate rounds: Do auction rounds for the biggest names, say – and then follow it up by other non-auction rounds.

Also, as mentioned above – auction tends to get a bit tedious in the later stages, where only a couple of managers are really into the bidding, etc.

Annahnomoss

For my money auction/criteria isn't an ideal combo. Criteria means the possibility of out-researching the opposition and dig up someone nobody else had thought of – and that edge goes right out the window when you have to put your gem up for sale, so to speak, anyway.

Auction works best alone, IMO – or alternatively as part of a multi-themed draft with entirely separate rounds: Do auction rounds for the biggest names, say – and then follow it up by other non-auction rounds.

Also, as mentioned above – auction tends to get a bit tedious in the later stages, where only a couple of managers are really into the bidding, etc.
Agreed about the criteria, it should be something simple like "Only born after/between/before year X".

I think the last part is due to the fact that we had rounds. The last rounds are terrible and not fun at all, which is why we shouldn't have any rounds at all. We can easily make it all in one round with some incentive/rule to force people to put in a minimum bid for the players they want.

The issue has also been that if you want someone, you just keep it quiet and hope nobody brings him in to the transfer list until you want to. Which makes everything a very boring and passive contest of who can be bothered to wait the longest.

Also the different rounds means nothing in comparison to each other, I.e two players of identical quality can go for vastly different sums depending solely on in which round they happened to appear in.

The fun part of the auction is the pace it is played at. Not having to wait 70 hours to make a pick and then having to wait another 15 hours right after that. That is what I mean that we should try to keep the essence of what makes the draft fun.

The waiting when you've just won the race for a player and you need to seal the deal is almost as good as in snake drafts when your ideal player keeps getting skipped and it gets closer and closer to your turn. :drool: Also the fake bid raises to try and lure someone in to overspending on the same position as you want to spend on etc etc is great too.

Mani

Criteria draft.11 different criteria to form a team.

We played this 2 years back in newbie

• Player with over 100 international caps.
  • Player with less than 15 international caps.
  • One club player (Player that has spent at least 10 years at a club since they made their debut)
  • Player who has never played in the World Cup.
  • Player who has never won the European Cup/Champions League.
  • Player born in the 90's.
  • Player to have won a double(Community Shield, Super Cup etc doesnt count)
  • Player who has never played in the European Cup/Champions League
  • Player who has played in a World Cup final but never won it
  • Player to have played in the European Cup/Champions League for at least 3 teams
  • Player to have played for a different country than that of which he was born
  • An african player(represented an African country)
  • A Scandanivian player
  • A player who has never won a league title

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Does anyone think a knockout round first, followed by a group stage, followed by a semi or a straight final could work as a change up?

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Criteria draft.11 different criteria to form a team.

We played this 2 years back in newbie

• Player with over 100 international caps.
  • Player with less than 15 international caps.
  • One club player (Player that has spent at least 10 years at a club since they made their debut)
  • Player who has never played in the World Cup.
  • Player who has never won the European Cup/Champions League.
  • Player born in the 90's.
  • Player to have won a double(Community Shield, Super Cup etc doesnt count)
  • Player who has never played in the European Cup/Champions League
  • Player who has played in a World Cup final but never won it
  • Player to have played in the European Cup/Champions League for at least 3 teams
  • Player to have played for a different country than that of which he was born
  • An african player(represented an African country)
  • A Scandanivian player
  • A player who has never won a league title
The criterias are almost the same between one game and another. It is difficult to come out with new ones

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Really like the chain draft idea, I think we should do it as no reinforcements though. Would really make people research their turns first time around.

Moby

Dick
Really like the chain draft idea, I think we should do it as no reinforcements though. Would really make people research their turns first time around.
We've thought of no reinforcements before as well Stob, I get the reason behind it, but at the same time if we are having a tournament reinforcements are vital to keep things fresh every round. I do agree that they should be as less as possible.

Moby

Dick
Does anyone think a knockout round first, followed by a group stage, followed by a semi or a straight final could work as a change up?
If you want a group stage it has to happen initially, in the first round like they normally do. We talked about it in the Euro draft too but seems like they get dragged out a lot. The primary reason for that is the same what I just told Stob, people get bored of evaluating same teams and need new things to think about every match.

I'm still in favour of them, I don't like someone who's done all the hard work go out after one game due to a tough/unfavourable draw. Theon, for example in the current draft. Groups give a fairer shot imo and from there on it's the same knockouts.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
How about all reinforcements are done sheep style? This could limit the reinforcements to one per round and avoiding artificially helping those at different parts of the snake.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If you want a group stage it has to happen initially, in the first round like they normally do. We talked about it in the Euro draft too but seems like they get dragged out a lot. The primary reason for that is the same what I just told Stob, people get bored of evaluating same teams and need new things to think about every match.

I'm still in favour of them, I don't like someone who's done all the hard work go out after one game due to a tough/unfavourable draw. Theon, for example in the current draft. Groups give a fairer shot imo and from there on it's the same knockouts.
My idea is more to try something different in terms of a cup format, it is almost like a qualifier round to get into the big boy group stages (a 1982 World Cup second round Group stage). Earn the right to play in the Group of Death type thing. Plus the match ups should be more even and stronger as the weaker sides have been eliminated in the first round.

Not as a permanent thing mind, I just think we should always look to try new concepts.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Tbh, I was thinking otherwise. Do it till knockout till semi's and then make sure everyone plays against other 3 semi finalists and winner gets decided by points / vote difference.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
I hope it's not an auction, I don't think it will be as it is the least popular. I like a Criteria one.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
How about all reinforcements are done sheep style? This could limit the reinforcements to one per round and avoiding artificially helping those at different parts of the snake.
Have a look in the current draft thread, @Balu came up with something similar to what perhaps you have in mind; for the final match picks. Not sure how it would work for so many managers at once, though.

As to reinforcements being removed as mentioned above; that would take some fun out of the drafts. Part of the appeal for me is that you can improve your team in areas you had to "settle" for certain players. Limiting them to perhaps 1 player each round could be a fair trade.

In regards to a group/knockout format; with 16 players in a knockout, the maximum games are 4 and i think that's a good amount. If we played 16 teams, 4 groups of 4 and the winners of each group played eachother in the semi's; that'd make it 5 games which would also be ok for me.

Tbh, I was thinking otherwise. Do it till knockout till semi's and then make sure everyone plays against other 3 semi finalists and winner gets decided by points / vote difference.
Also makes it 5 games which seems a good suggestion.

I like the chain suggestion but is it only the first round that is sheep format? Could throw in a couple more of them at some point in the draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What is the idea in more detail. If I pick David Beckham, can I then pick any teammate from his time at a club and the player who is picked is always in a supposed peak? Or does it mean that I can't pick Ronaldo at his peak together with David Beckham because Ronaldo's peak wasn't when they played together?
I just had the chain as a offhand idea. Never expected it to get this far :lol:

I love your club peak idea. When you choose a player he gets rated by his peak for that club (not their linked players time together). For example, if you pick Beckham through Giggs/United link, Beckham will be rated with his United peak. In the next pick if you use Beckham's Real link to pick Ronaldo, he will be judged on his Real peak.

Could throw in a couple more of them at some point in the draft.
I wouldn't mind a restart at Round 6. Pick player 1 and use link to draft 5 more players. At round 6, there will be a sheep drafting again and this player's links will be used for the subsequent draftings.

berbasloth4

Chain idea looks brilliant maybe only allowed to use each club once??

Can I be added if there is space guys??

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I need some volunteers.

Can one/more here picks a player of your choice and see if you can trace his links to build a credible team?
Ryan Giggs
David Beckham
Zinedine Zidane
Edgar Davids
Xavi
Messi
Puyol
Abidal
Dani Alves
Valdes
Carrick
R. Ferdinand

Valdes
D. Alves Ferdinand Puyol Abidal
Beckham Davids Xavi Giggs
Zidane
Messi
Club limits seems imperative to make it a more difficult draft, although with 16 participants.. it might be difficult enough as it is.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ryan Giggs
David Beckham
Zinedine Zidane
Edgar Davids
Xavi
Messi
Puyol
Abidal
Dani Alves
Valdes
Carrick
R. Ferdinand

Valdes
D. Alves Ferdinand Puyol Abidal
Beckham Davids Xavi Giggs
Zidane
Messi
Club limits seems imperative to make it a more difficult draft, although with 16 participants.. it might be difficult enough as it is.
THanks mate.

Let's see how this works:

Davids to Xavi is through Barca loan spell, right? - This means we get Davids peak as during that loan spell for this draft.
Xavi to Messi becomes invalid as you can't use Barca consecutively.

How was the drafting? Challenging or meh?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Chain idea looks brilliant maybe only allowed to use each club once??

Can I be added if there is space guys??
Of course, you will be added to the provisional list and will be tagged for confirmation in the main thread by the draft master, once the new draft begins that is.