Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito

That time period would be great although for the general theme of my draft ideas to spans a too wide a time period and doesn't allow the four time period split. I actually think the 46-66 time period would be the most popular round here but I fancied floating a more modern draft as it spans the time period I watched footbll- mid 90s onwards which I think is the same for many other posters.
Fair enough then. Let's carry on as planned

Moby

Dick
The biggest point for me is that having just had an all time draft so we need a break from the older players. This pool is perfect for a draft right now.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The biggest point for me is that having just had an all time draft so we need a break from the older players. This pool is perfect for a draft right now.
Exactly, I'm really looking forward to this more modern draft and a chance to relive some good memories of some of the good players that I've watched personally.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
List of Drafts:

Draft I:
Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Polaroid's - Man Utd Legends Draft (Winner: DanNistelrooy)
Draft V: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft VI: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VII: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VIII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft IX: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft X: The Next Generation Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft XI: World Cup All Time All Stars Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XII: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XIII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIIV: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XVI: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVII: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVIII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIX: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XXI: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXII: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXIII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIV: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXVI: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVII: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVIII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXIX: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: RedTiger/Joga Bonito/Balu)
Draft XXX: Joga's Remake Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XXXI: EAP's Double Draft (Winner: harms)
Draft XXXII: Chesterlestreet's Americas Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Joga Bonito)
Draft XXXIII: EAP/anto's Las Vegas Monopoly Draft (Winner: Jayvin)

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
For whenever the next time we do an all time pool I'd like to go with @antohan 's idea of have a redo of the original all time draft he ran. It has been almost 4 years since that, and with a newer pool of managers and all the changes drafts have gone through it could be fun. However, not an exact replica.

The twist I had in mind is that we make it the All Time Nationality Cut-Off Draft.

The initial rule stays the same - one player per nation with the same definitions for nations used then. However, as soon as 5 players are picked from a particular nation - that nation is no more available to be chosen from. So e.g. if Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Romario and Zico are picked, no more Brazilians can be picked in the draft. So basically a maximum of 5 players per nation will participate in the draft. For the bigger nations this will mean a lot of great players being left out but it will bring depth from other nations into the mix. If the limit of 5 seems to less we can increase that but that's the basic idea for whoever is running 'em.

@Edgar Allan Pillow mate might be a good idea threadmarking posts with future suggestions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For whenever the next time we do an all time pool I'd like to go with @antohan 's idea of have a redo of the original all time draft he ran. It has been almost 4 years since that, and with a newer pool of managers and all the changes drafts have gone through it could be fun. However, not an exact replica.

The twist I had in mind is that we make it the All Time Nationality Cut-Off Draft.

The initial rule stays the same - one player per nation with the same definitions for nations used then. However, as soon as 5 players are picked from a particular nation - that nation is no more available to be chosen from. So e.g. if Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Romario and Zico are picked, no more Brazilians can be picked in the draft. So basically a maximum of 5 players per nation will participate in the draft. For the bigger nations this will mean a lot of great players being left out but it will bring depth from other nations into the mix. If the limit of 5 seems to less we can increase that but that's the basic idea for whoever is running 'em.

@Edgar Allan Pillow mate might be a good idea threadmarking posts with future suggestions.
Very interesting. How many players for the team, 12? 14?

Are the countries historical or contemporary? Player's country is decided by the place of birth?

We'd need to fully use 45 countries in order to draft 14-player squad for 16 managers though

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Top of the pool will decide that, imo. Not fair at bottom as nations may get restricted before their turn.
So what? Like in any snake draft bottom managers don't get to pick the very-very best.
The number of players per nation should be increased though - like I said earlier, it's 38-45 fully used (5 picks) countries to complete the teams (38 for 12-men squad, 45 for 14).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So what? Like in any snake draft bottom managers don't get to pick the very-very best.
The number of players per nation should be increased though - like I said earlier, it's 38-45 fully used (5 picks) countries to complete the teams (38 for 12-men squad, 45 for 14).
Not in an all time draft! And double picks which even things out is not that effective imo.

Agree on the increase. Maybe 16 picks per country.

Draft Ideas #1

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ideas for Drafts #1

All Time Nationality Cut-Off Draft

Squad Draft:

Have we ever done a Squad draft, where you have a squad of 22 players (no subs) and you play two games against the opponent, and you have to beat them on aggregate. It would reward good drafting because after the shiny picks are gone, you still have to construct a strong second XI to ensure you win both games.

Apologies if it sounds shite but maybe there is something there someone could work into a proper concept.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not in an all time draft! And double picks which even things out is not that effective imo.

Agree on the increase. Maybe 16 picks per country.
That makes it pretty much identical to mine (16 managers => one player per country => 16 players unless you are Cutch and pick two German keepers).

8 maybe?

Annahnomoss

I like Raees idea a lot. To make it go faster like a normal draft and make both teams more interesting you could make double picks instead if single ones. Maybe the total votes should be counted in percent though as different day brings different amount of votes. Say Anto wins against me with 6-4 in the first game, then he got 60% of the votes and I have to get more in the 2nd game. As in some games there are like half the votes compared to the others and if we just count it on a vote per vote basis the match with more voters will have too much influence.

Draft list would look like this;
1. Antohan -
Team X - Pele
Team Y - Matthäus
2. Annah
Team 1 - Garrincha
Team 2 - Di Stefano

harms

Staff
To make it go faster like a normal draft and make both teams more interesting you could make double picks instead if single ones.
Gives unfair advantage to those at the top of the list.
Maybe after the 10th round or so

Annahnomoss

Gives unfair advantage to those at the top of the list.
Maybe after the 10th round or so
Could start it in round three? So the draft only takes slightly longer instead of nearly two times longer. Or use one of the "top 100 of all time" list and ban those for the 2nd team. So you can't pick Garrincha for team 2, so it won't interfere with the selection of the first team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I was thinking the squad draft would be better suited to a primarily auction draft or maybe even a mixture of auction (one or two rounds of sheep) and then end with snake (double picks). Anything which would make it a more balanced process.. as I could see double picks possibly leading to some unbalanced teams.

Concept being that you're being asked to construct a super club capable of winning on all fronts, and you've got to build a squad not just a first XI. You need to bring through youth (so requirement for a youth player) etc.. something along those lines. Would that be more feasible than a straight snake..

Although with a huge all time pool, I guess snake wouldn't be all that bad.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The next time we go all-time I would be happy with a repeat of either the World Cup or the Nations themes. I'm not sold on restricting the number of players from each country, not sure if that adds a lot of value beyond increasing the competition for the top Brazilians, Argentinians, etc, and it'll skew the advantage of being at the top of the picking order (e.g. I get Pele and 1 of the sole 5 Brazilians - double win). Could mix it up with a decades or era mix theme, I think we did that for the World Cup and it was effective in ensuring that there was no modern v oldies teams, which are a pain in the arse from a voting perspective.

bleezy

I like the nationality cut off idea, though it might work best as a sheep draft to make sure nobody had an advantage.

As soon as over 5 different players from a country have been picked, regardless of if they are successful, that country gets blocked. All successful picks from previous rounds for that country stand. So if Round 1 Pick 1, there are 6 Brazilians chosen, all of them and the whole nationality get blocked. If for example 3 Brazilians are chosen that pick, then they are successful, and the next time Brazilians are chosen there'd have to be only 2 or less different players picked that pick or the entire rest of the Brazil pool is blocked. If that makes sense...

If a players has represented two countries, he'd be counted under the one he played more matches for.

diarm

I love the idea of the squad draft. It would take ages but sure what harm? If you do a short draft half of ye are just going to start another one straight after anyway!

I don't think you should have to pick team 1 and team 2 players from the start though, otherwise it's just running 2 separate drafts simultaneously. Draft a squad of 22 and then pick you then based on tactics and what you think your opponent will select.

Then those 11 players become ineligible for the return leg. It would add a whole new dimension to matchplay, of trying to second guess your opponent's selection and adapt.

antohan

The next time we go all-time I would be happy with a repeat of either the World Cup or the Nations themes. I'm not sold on restricting the number of players from each country, not sure if that adds a lot of value beyond increasing the competition for the top Brazilians, Argentinians, etc, and it'll skew the advantage of being at the top of the picking order (e.g. I get Pele and 1 of the sole 5 Brazilians - double win). Could mix it up with a decades or era mix theme, I think we did that for the World Cup and it was effective in ensuring that there was no modern v oldies teams, which are a pain in the arse from a voting perspective.
Same here. I'd probably run it exactly the same way and just changing reinforcement rules (open pool + no R1-2 would be a good call here).

Different managers, probably quite different teams, it's not like there's a segret winning formula that has been revealed. Maybe throw in a 5 pre-60 and 6 post-60 for good measure.

Enigma_87

You know who
Same here. I'd probably run it exactly the same way and just changing reinforcement rules (open pool + no R1-2 would be a good call here).

Different managers, probably quite different teams, it's not like there's a segret winning formula that has been revealed. Maybe throw in a 5 pre-60 and 6 post-60 for good measure.
Same.

I also like the squad draft idea, but it would be best in auction format as @Raees mentioned.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Think the draft part of the game is great as it is, its by far the best part of the game and little bit of waiting is not the biggest problem...if you want to make it faster just push the deadline limit(4 or 6 hours) as that will make people pm their picks more often then they do it now.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Agreed except that we know how not to win: pick Riquelme and play him in the quarters onwards

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We can trim the squad idea a bit to make it crispier, I suppose.

Rather than 2 full squads, we can trim it down to 17 picks overall with 4 outfield players from starting team to be replaced at half time. 12hrs per team to say...similar to the injury rule in current drafts. I.e. you play a starting team for 8 hrs and then a substitute squad team with 4 players subbed out for the balance 12hrs.

A 4 player change will make the dynamics totally different imo. We can increase to 5 too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Rather than 2 full squads, we can trim it down to 17 picks overall with 4 outfield players from starting team to be replaced at half time. 12hrs per team to say...similar to the injury rule in current drafts. I.e. you play a starting team for 8 hrs and then a substitute squad team with 4 players subbed out for the balance 12hrs.

A 4 player change will make the dynamics totally different imo. We can increase to 5 too.
Hmm, the thing is it will still overall still lead to same discussions of the same players. The stars from the first game will still be the stars of the second game.. and I don't really want injuries to come into play. Yes the dynamic's will change, but it would go against the spirit of properly testing the depth of your squad and being able to put out two teams which play radically different styles of football.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Hmm, the thing is it will still overall still lead to same discussions of the same players. The stars from the first game will still be the stars of the second game.. and I don't really want injuries to come into play. Yes the dynamic's will change, but it would go against the spirit of properly testing the depth of your squad and being able to put out two teams which play radically different styles of football.
Not if we make the players to be replaced as the first 4 picks (or maybe picks 1,3,5 & 7) ;)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not if we make the players to be replaced as the first 4 picks (or maybe picks 1,3,5 & 7) ;)
True, not a bad shout. I guess, I wanted it to be more unpredictable.. trying to guess which combination of XI players your opposing manager will put out for the first game.. is he going to put out all his best defenders, or spread it out etc. Whereas in your example, it becomes more predictable and more about the quality of your subs.. which is still a good way of testing drafting skills..

antohan

Nah, you are destroying the main attraction of it which is making calls on which team to play your stars in. E.g. you can get Zidane and Ronaldinho and play them in different teams. With your suggestion the superstars will play both games. Boring.