Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How about an allocation draft? As in every manager allocates a decent player (not a sheep) to the player next to him on alternate rounds.

Pick 1: Allocated
Pick 2: Your own pick
Pick 3: Allocated
Pick 4: Your own pick
Pick 5: Allocated
Pick 6: Your own pick
Rest of picks are your own.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Don't see too much interest in this idea.

Any other ideas?
Maybe it is the Christmas period. I would be in otherwise. I reckon if you fired the thread up after the New Year you would get a lot of interest. It is a nice clean way of restricting the eligible pool, giving other players a chance to shine

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
what about a light "draft" during the holidays just to feed the little boy inside a junkie. Something like U23 draft without games, would be fun to revisit after few years and its going to kill time until the next draft.

Marty1968

what about a light "draft" during the holidays just to feed the little boy inside a junkie. Something like U23 draft without games, would be fun to revisit after few years and its going to kill time until the next draft.
Who is she and what's her number? :lol::eek:

Happy to wait until the New Year but let's get a few ideas on what kind of draft to have in the meantime.

Off the top of my head:

A multi-league's draft (think of a better name for it) - but have to pick a certain number of players from each league for your squad. Did one ages ago with La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga so could focus on the other leagues and judge based on the players time in that league (not whole career). Maybe PL, Scottish, Ligue 1, Primera Liga, Eredivisie, Super Lig and minimum of 2 players from each league in your squad?
The Generation Game - Can only have 2 players in your starting XI who played at the same time.
A good old sheep draft where every team manager gets to pick a criteria.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A multi-league's draft (think of a better name for it) - but have to pick a certain number of players from each league for your squad. Did one ages ago with La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga so could focus on the other leagues and judge based on the players time in that league (not whole career). Maybe PL, Scottish, Ligue 1, Primera Liga, Eredivisie, Super Lig and minimum of 2 players from each league in your squad?
England
Spain - Italy - Bundesliga
France - Portugal
Netherlands - FREE - FREE - FREE
FREE

An interesting idea would be to use those leagues, I think.
  • You have to play 1 player from each of the 7 leagues;
  • you can't field more than 1 La Liga & 1 Serie A player, as those league are overpowered;
  • add a 2 or 3 player restriction in a starting XI for every other league
The squad restrictions are boring, you have to allow people to pursuit different strategies.

4 free spots allow you some leeway & possible a team, as you can base your team on, say, Ajax of the 70's or Benfica of the 60's, but you are forced to mix it with other philosophies & styles.

You'll have 2 GOATs from Serie A & La Liga (there should be enough for everyone), and a few others from the remaining league, as many peaked abroad (Beckenbauer, Müller, Matthäus (although not from 88-92), Rummenigge, Best, Charlton, Law, Cristiano (Utd version), Cruyff, Neeskens, slightly off-peak AC Milan Dutch trio, Eusebio). It's not too much for 16 managers, I'd say. A block list can still be implemented though.

Last edited:

Marty1968

Yeah that one could work. A little less prescriptive and allows a bit of creativity in the teams.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Here's an idea for pick/block draft.

R1 is pick only. R2-R8, every person picks and player and blocks a player. After that picks only and no blocks. Your opponent will be announced before (kinda). Try to figure out opponent's strategy and place your blocks.

All time, no restrictions draft. Anyone interested?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Suggested this a long time ago as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just floating one more idea with the transfer market flavor

1. Before the drafting starts, everyone sends a base club of their choice via PM to mod. Say you send club A

2. First player you choose must be someone who was bought by club A from club B

3. Second player you choose must be someone who was bought by club B from club C
4. So on till 12 picks
5. You can choose every club only once

Šjor Bepo

pick one, open the thread and we will get the numbers somehow.

harms

Staff
@harms

Is your board game draft ready? I am sure people would flock to that
Nope. I need to have a few days dedicated to that to work on criteria’s and potential feck ups and I won’t have that free time until the New Year at the very least.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
If someone is willing to start the draft and match threads for me, I can run a sheep draft.

Himannv

Here's an idea for pick/block draft.

R1 is pick only. R2-R8, every person picks and player and blocks a player. After that picks only and no blocks. Your opponent will be announced before (kinda). Try to figure out opponent's strategy and place your blocks.

All time, no restrictions draft. Anyone interested?
Suggested this a long time ago as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just floating one more idea with the transfer market flavor

1. Before the drafting starts, everyone sends a base club of their choice via PM to mod. Say you send club A

2. First player you choose must be someone who was bought by club A from club B

3. Second player you choose must be someone who was bought by club B from club C
4. So on till 12 picks
5. You can choose every club only once
I like both of these. Starts off with a good pick that you can build around and gets progressively trickier as the options reduce.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
GSTQ's Italy Draft idea is worth revisiting imo...

if only to laugh at Edgar :D

Realistically, the matches will be a bit shite as 1) there'll be a lot of unfamiliar players so voting will be low 2) managers that pick pre-footage players will hype them to the moon and those who don't will dismiss them. The drafting and research would be rewarding though, and it seems like ages since we've had a draft like this. In a similar vein, all-time La Liga Draft could be good.
Like both of these.

Also perhaps it’s worth marking the end of the decade in some form - a 2010s draft, or a league-specific 2010s draft.

NoPace

Like both of these.

Also perhaps it’s worth marking the end of the decade in some form - a 2010s draft, or a league-specific 2010s draft.
I'd be in for a 2010s draft, either Prem or world or both probably worth it

GodShaveTheQueen

Should have a 'no sheep draft' sometime.

Basically works like a sheep draft where you send picks every round. Difference being -

1. After every round, the pass picks would also be revealed.
2. There won't be a limit of 3 rounds. You keep sending picks till you get a pass.

Can be done without criterias as well.

Idea being everyone will be aggressive.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That sounds a pretty good idea along with your no Euro, WC and EC winners idea

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I’m new to the forums but have been a lurker for quite a few years, and just wanted to stop by and say how much I have enjoyed following so many of these drafts.

I find it amazing how much knowledge some of you guys have, but the fun of watching ones building teams and getting into all sorts of problems is actually really interesting to me. Always love a good old fashioned meltdown too
:D

I don’t know if I would have the knowledge to get involved at some stage but thought it would be encouraging to know that there are people taking an interest even when they couldn’t comment!

More just a ‘keep up the good work’ message, but will be following the next draft. I had lost track of it all when it stopped appearing on main forum when I wasn’t logger in, so glad to be organised now and know where it is!

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I’m new to the forums but have been a lurker for quite a few years, and just wanted to stop by and say how much I have enjoyed following so many of these drafts.

I find it amazing how much knowledge some of you guys have, but the fun of watching ones building teams and getting into all sorts of problems is actually really interesting to me. Always love a good old fashioned meltdown too

I don’t know if I would have the knowledge to get involved at some stage but thought it would be encouraging to know that there are people taking an interest even when they couldn’t comment!

More just a ‘keep up the good work’ message, but will be following the next draft. I had lost track of it all when it stopped appearing on main forum when I wasn’t logger in, so glad to be organised now and know where it is!
Good to hear there are new lurkers around especially after we were removed from the main football forum.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

You should definitely get involved, maybe as an AM at first as it seems like you'd enjoy it and always the more the merrier.

Indnyc

You should come and play.. Always good to have new faces here..

Maluco

I just don’t know if I would have the same level of discussion that you guys have, but I do love following it and have learned a lot from reading the various articles posted and all.

Really like the idea of building a functional team and imagining how it would all work. Always enjoyed the drafts with conditions and restrictions and used to follow threads all the way though.

I will see how it goes anyway, but will at least be following them and enjoying the process again anyway!

harms

Staff
You get it as you go, really, so you should try participating in one in the future. Maybe pair up with something if you’re not sure that you’re up for it by yourself.

GodShaveTheQueen

I just don’t know if I would have the same level of discussion that you guys have, but I do love following it and have learned a lot from reading the various articles posted and all.

Really like the idea of building a functional team and imagining how it would all work. Always enjoyed the drafts with conditions and restrictions and used to follow threads all the way though.

I will see how it goes anyway, but will at least be following them and enjoying the process again anyway!
If you don't want to participate, put that lurking to some good use and vote whenever you can. Our voting numbers have been quite shabby off late.

Maluco

I will probably have a go at some stage if you excuse my newbie mistakes! I wanted to wait until I got promotion to participate anyway, but almost there.

I didn’t follow this draft because I didn’t find it to be honest, until I got serious about signing up and becoming a member. Now that I know, I will at least be following and voting in the next one!

Šjor Bepo

I will probably have a go at some stage if you excuse my newbie mistakes! I wanted to wait until I got promotion to participate anyway, but almost there.

I didn’t follow this draft because I didn’t find it to be honest, until I got serious about signing up and becoming a member. Now that I know, I will at least be following and voting in the next one!
you can pair up with me in the next one if you want.....but be careful, some went missing after doing so.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I’ve only done 3 or 4 and most the time don’t have much idea while drafting and wing it. Teams fall into place.

My knowledge is no where near some of the other guys but learning and researching players you’d never heard of or little of is part of the fun

just take the plunge and join the next one