Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

I have a friend whose father is connected with the Glazers. She knows them and their kids. They actually go to her father for advice on things for Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I can forward her advice from the caf to forward to her dad, and he can advise them further. I already mentioned that we need a better manager and to sign a defensive midfielder. What else can be added?
Ten Hag and Overmars and things will quickly change.

Spoony

The People's President
I have a friend whose father is connected with the Glazers. She knows them and their kids. They actually go to her father for advice on things for Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I can forward her advice from the caf to forward to her dad, and he can advise them further. I already mentioned that we need a better manager and to sign a defensive midfielder. What else can be added?
Stadium renovation. The bloody leeches.

hobbers

I never said this season. Others might have. We will have a better and more balanced squad next year.
We signed Varane Sancho and Ronaldo this summer and yet we look even worse and less balanced than last year.

Andersonson

Was Pellegrini or Ranieri good enough? Was numerous other managers that won trophies? He’s not Manchester United level. Well if we want to be the best in England.

But you think what you like.
What a bizarre statement. Do you think Leicester would've wanted someone else that season?

Pellegrini also did a good job, so did Mancini, so has Pep done. None of them have won the CL though, so maybe Pep isn't good enough

Andersonson

That logic, we can win despite Ole. Like saying would Fred and McTominay would be good enough if we win?
I didn't say this season or didn't mention Feed or Mctominay. If he manages to win with them as a starting CM pair the feat would be even better...

SAFMUTD

I didn't say this season or didn't mention Feed or Mctominay. If he manages to win with them as a starting CM pair the feat would be even better...
So the logic is "he's good enough because hypothetically he can win"?

That could be said about not just every manager but anyone basically.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
How about this for a hypothetical conundrum, pick one…

A. Ole remains in charge for 5 more years and cannot be sacked before then.

B. Mourinho returns for 4 years and cannot be sacked until the 4 seasons are up.

C. LvG returns for 3 seasons and can’t be sacked before the 3 seasons are done.

D. Moyes returns for 2 seasons and cannot be sacked until the contract is up.

Which do you pick, and why?

Mainoldo

What a bizarre statement. Do you think Leicester would've wanted someone else that season?

Pellegrini also did a good job, so did Mancini, so has Pep done. None of them have won the CL though, so maybe Pep isn't good enough
Your doing too much. It’s quite simple, great managers manage the best teams and win a load of trophies.

We don’t have a great manager and no surprise we don’t have many trophies. There’s nothing else to try and understand or to feel bizarre about.

Pep - Trophies
Klopp - Trophies
Mancini - Trophies
Mourinho - Trophies
Zidane - Trophies
Ole - Nothing.

Mainoldo

B. Mourinho returns for 4 years and cannot be sacked until the 4 seasons are up.

Moyes. He leaves quicker.

Demaw

Your doing too much. It’s quite simple, great managers manage the best teams and win a load of trophies.

We don’t have a great manager and no surprise we don’t have many trophies. There’s nothing else to try and understand or to feel bizarre about.

Pep - Trophies
Klopp - Trophies
Mancini - Trophies
Mourinho - Trophies
Zidane - Trophies
Ole - Nothing.
Add Conte as well. Ole is a nice guy and a legend though.

Strelok

So the logic is "he's good enough because hypothetically he can win"?

That could be said about not just every manager but anyone basically.
I think what he mean was if Ole win he's good enough.

I still remember the caf laughing out loud at Klopp before he won the PL and CL.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Van Gaal easily. The best coach of the lot and the transfers are already done for him. He’d be much better with this set of players. His issue was he’d always worked somewhere where transfers had been done by a Director, he’d been out of the club game for years. I think he’d be fine with your squad now.

Green Arrow

Maybe another choice Zidane is available get him in he will get the players playing expansive football plus he will rotate the players. He could remain in charge for 3 years.

LazyGoal

So you're willing to accept 1 more point than last season after signing 2 WC players and a potential one? And regardless of the position? So if we finish 5th with 75 points which isn't impossible you'll see that as a successful season?
Well. Yes. Pending on CL playoffs, and if the over all play is good and heading in the right direction.

But, 75 points will give us at least top four.

My point is more like this. The rebuild of the squad will be «finished» next summer. We are not there yet. We are close, but our midfield is not good enough and we have som youngsters that need this year to make the last step. Harry and Varane also needs this season to click, and we need a proper backup for Wan Bissaka.

So yes. The focus is still development and getting it all together. We are good enough to be up there when all is fit, but with a few injurys on key players we are not all that.

LazyGoal

What are you basing this on? Hope?
Based on how the previous seasons developed, the injuries we have right now and how that effects the team, the time it takes for new players to settel in and quality we now have. Two transfer windows and we will have our midfield in order as well + a few of the «kids» will have reached next level —> Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood (and maybe maybe Elenga).

LazyGoal

No it’s a mixed bag obviously. But if you think the 99 team wins the treble without Fergie you are crazy.

So I have to ask is it possible to win trophies if the level of manager is not of w certain standard?
By the logic on here, Conte would have won CL three times in a row back in 99 and Ferguson was scraping for that win — so it doesn't really count.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Van Gaal easily. The best coach of the lot and the transfers are already done for him. He’d be much better with this set of players. His issue was he’d always worked somewhere where transfers had been done by a Director, he’d been out of the club game for years. I think he’d be fine with your squad now.
He sucked all joy out of watching United for a lot of fans. Three seasons under LvG sounds like hell. He would scream at Bruno if he ever dared to play a forward pass or a run into the box like he did with Herrera at Goodison park once.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
This thread will be busy come 16:50 today
in fact until May when it will be statistically impossible to reach top4 and win a single competition like the last 4 years. Even then I wouldn't be so sure for Fletcher and co to have balls and dismiss one of their friends sadly because of some kind of faith in rebuild.

Ole has done well to get back with United way mentality and brought the right players with right character but if he fails to win anything it will be absolutely the right time to replace him so we don't waste this fantastic team full of talent and already ready made world class or close to world class players. When we replace him I think after then the decisions and changes won't be as problematic as now when we are stacked with former players in key positions with good heart but not good enough abilities to take us anywhere.

I really hope Fletcher is as ruthless as on the pitch and can make the right decision rather sooner than later regardless of who he knows from the past..

Flytan

Based on how the previous seasons developed, the injuries we have right now and how that effects the team, the time it takes for new players to settel in and quality we now have. Two transfer windows and we will have our midfield in order as well + a few of the «kids» will have reached next level —> Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood (and maybe maybe Elenga).
Won't it take another year for the midfield players to settle in just like all our previous signings then. That puts it two years into the future. Then Ronaldo is two years older, Cavani is gone, De Gea is probably too old so we need a GK. People will see the AWB hasn't got enough offensively and they'll say Ole needs a new RB to challenge. Not to mention Matic will be gone so we'll probably need yet another midfielder.

Point is, every squad in the world always needs something. Every other squad in the world has new players that need to settle. Every other squad in the world has to work with what they have and are expected to challenge despite not having the perfect squad (except us I guess). Hell City don't even have a striker and they're expected to win the league. Why on earth do our fans have different expectations for our manager?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

LVG. Possesion football with this attack and defence, plus a new 6 in the summer he takes the fecking league

C. LVG

I will die on this hill :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let's talk managers who make sense for this team - none of this Conte business.

Who else is out there similar to Ten Hag - young, progressive, intelligent?

Regarding the international managers, is it realistic to expect a manager to do two monster jobs until the World Cup is finished? Thinking of Flick here, and Enrique. Speaking of whom, does Luis Enrique speak English?

Who are the best interim candidates? Rangnick is hardly coming if he's not getting a DoF type position afterwards (and may actually join Newcastle) but who is a realistic option here?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Regarding the international managers, is it realistic to expect a manager to do two monster jobs until the World Cup is finished? Thinking of Flick here, and Enrique. Speaking of whom, does Luis Enrique speak English?

Who are the best interim candidates? Rangnick is hardly coming if he's not getting a DoF type position afterwards (and may actually join Newcastle) but who is a realistic option here?
Why not just Ten Hag?

JG3001

From a club manager perspective:

If we’re gambling on the long term project, it’s got to be Ten Haag.

Best chance at instant success, it’s Conte.

But the first one is my preference.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why not just Ten Hag?
I'm curious to know about other options from those more clued up. Ten Hag is by all accounts a good coach and has his team play attractive football, does he have the character to bring that to United? I'm just interested in having a discussion here now that it is looking inevitable.

Roboc7

The way we recruit managers I can only see us appointing Conte or Zidane as it stands. Ole’s best hope of keeping job throughout season is that club probably have no idea what to do next.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The way we recruit managers I can o LG see us appointing Conte or Zidane as it stands. Ole’s best hope of keeping job throughout season is that club probably have no idea what to do next.
Blanc.... available immediately... history with the club... has won stuff (albeit a while ago now)

Not that I want him... but wouldn't rule out the glazers thinking its a good idea

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This is not an opinion, just read it a few times but some media articles suggest Ten Haag is quite ... strict?
He is.

Also, don't know, why prising him out of Ajax would be an easy thing to do, mid-season. F wiw, I don't think our board are sacking Ole any time soon.

FatTails

LVG, easily. Even with Smalling and Blind in defence, and a midfield that is not much better than what we have now, we controlled games, did well against the big teams, and actually played like a big team ourselves trying to take initiative and battle for possession and control.

He lacked players like Bruno, Sancho, and Pogba who can actually create chances so we ended up low scoring and lacking in cutting edge. We were counting on an aging Rooney and aging RVP, past it Falcao, and Di Maria who was really not interested all that much past the initial period. Mata and Martial took more of the creative burden but one is not very consistent and Mata’s best is behind him.

LVG is the best head coach we’ve had post-SAF, we just needed to have the right structure around him when it comes to transfers. We now do have that.

JG3001

This is not an opinion, just read it a few times but some media articles suggest Ten Haag is quite ... strict?
Haven’t read anything about it to be honest. But I think when it comes to realistic targets and compatibility with our current team, he seems the best fit.

RedDevilQuebecois

Why not just Ten Hag?
If we are willing to pay 1) the compensation fee to Ajax, 2) pay his wages, and 3) give him full reins to choose his coaching staff (and thus remove the 2 clueless idiots, Carrick and McKenna), then yes. Grabbing a manager from a club in the middle of a season doesn't happen often, but it is not impossible.

In any case, Ole hs to fecking go. Its what matters the most now.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't even think we'd get Ten Hag.

I see him waiting to succeed Pep or going to Barcelona.

Zidane, France-bound for me.

I don't think Conte is the guy for us.

Jesus. We're goosed

Status
Not open for further replies.