Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All very fair points, mate. Hard to argue with a lot of it. Opinions are just that - opinions, and I would still say that I feel like Pep and Klopp have a better style than Zidane and have proven it by coaching more than one team. I think Zidane at United would be a gamble. Sure - it could well work, but I still think it would be more of a risk than someone like Rodgers or Poch who have a prem pedigree.
I prefer Klopp's style, he is by far my favorite current manager but to me it seems that in the last years people have lost a bit of sense with these style and progressive talks when it comes to rating managers. There is only one objective way to judge a manager, it's by the results of his teams and in the case of Zidane there is no way to consider that he is actually inferior to anyone.
Every manager is a gamble and you can't possibly consider that a manager that has actually been successful in his shorter career is more of a gamble than two managers that have virtually won nothing. Zidane is arguably a comparable gamble to Klopp when Liverpool appointed him, the only decent argument is that he may not speak fluent english but truth be told english is very easy for anyone that actually tries. So to me it's only a matter of Zidane wanting to work in England or not.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that Pochettino's style isn't exactly Joga Bonito. Tottenham were energetic in defense but generally dull while also not really successful.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Out of curiosity why not? What makes you so confident about that statement?
Find me a single City or Liverpool fan who'd swap Pep or Klopp for Zidane....

I will give you a clue.....there isn't one. Job done.

JPRouve

Scout

That doesn't actually answer the question, those fans are happy with what they have. Would they swap a manager that brought 3 CLs and 2 league titles in 5 years and why?

gazbradley

That’s a weird way of looking at things, you’d probably struggle to find a Liverpool fan who’d swap Klopp for Pep as well never mind any other coach and the same with City fans.
Of everyone available Zidane is the only one who’s CV stacks up against anyone else’s so we’d be silly not to consider him. Add in he’s already been successful with Ronaldo and Varane, he’d automatically command the respect of every player in the squad due to who he is. He’d even be a legitimate reason for Mbappe to consider joining us. We’d actually be crazy not to consider him, do I have doubts about him? Yeah of course but there isn’t anyone who I wouldn’t have doubts about, especially considering how poor we look behind the scenes

stw2022

I’m not against a young, ambitious manager who’s shown potential. My major problem with Ole is that he got the biggest job in the world and has shown zero inclination or drive to do anything with it but sit passively and not even bother to try and implement any kind of discernible system or tactical approach. Genuinely as if his success as a player here makes him believe that winning trophies just happens by virtue of the name and history of the club

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Zidane is easily the best manager out of the possible candidates, but I don't see him and his family living in Manchester, where they don't speak the language. Pochettino might become available soon if PSG keep playing the way they're playing, but then is he really an upgrade because the issues are similar between the two teams and he's not doing any better of a job right now fixing it compared to Ole.

Mainoldo

Zidane is easily the best manager out of the possible candidates, but I don't see him and his family living in Manchester, where they don't speak the language. Pochettino might become available soon if PSG keep playing the way they're playing, but then is he really an upgrade because the issues are similar between the two teams and he's not doing any better of a job right now fixing it compared to Ole.
Good Point. But I think it’s easier to drop Rashford, Sancho, Martial or Greenwood to make a system work than to drop Mbappe, Messi and Neymar.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That doesn't actually answer the question, those fans are happy with what they have. Would they swap a manager that brought 3 CLs and 2 league titles in 5 years and why?
He's not on their level. Nobody is though so it's hardly a negative.

This is the thing our fans are having trouble coming to terms with. Our two most hated rivals have the two best managers in the world. It sucks. It won't last forever thankfully.

pseudo_canadian

I'd take Potter. Followed his career since Ostersunds and he's always impressed me.
I like the idea of taking a chance on Potter. He’s young and has developed Brighton into a decent side that plays solid, balanced football.

With the exception of maybe Poch and Zidane, I don’t see the point in going for a big name just for the sake of it. The board should be hiring a manager based on their potential and philosophy as a coach - not just their name.

The step up for Potter would be too big, I don’t think he would get the respect from players like Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno, De Gea etc. These players are ready to win something now not in 3 years time.

JPRouve

Scout

This is the thing our fans are having trouble coming to terms with. Our two most hated rivals have the two best managers in the world. It sucks. It won't last forever thankfully.
And I asked to justify the claim which you didn't. What metrics are you using to determine that he isn't better than managers he outperformed during the last 6 years during which he only managed for 5 seasons?

BlueHaze

Zidanes agent said a while back England doesn't interest Zidane. We can most likely rule this one out. I think he'll end up in Italy, Juve perhaps? Or a national team. If Poch gets sacked from PSG they will 100% want Zidane.

Flytan

No one denies this. The fans just want a manager within their universe instead of someone who doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside them. No reason we can't ge the 3rd best manager if they have the top 2

JPRouve

Scout
Zidanes agent said a while back England doesn't interest Zidane. We can most likely rule this one out. I think he'll end up in Italy, Juve perhaps? Or a national team. If Poch gets sacked from PSG they will 100% want Zidane.
While it could be true in 2021 it's worth mentioning that you are referring to a quote that was made when Zidane left Real Madrid the first time, in October 2018. I have seen journalists use it and it's a bit baffling.

PoTMS

No one denies this. The fans just want a manager within their universe instead of someone who doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside them. No reason we can't ge the 3rd best manager if they have the top 2
It's one of the worst arguments to keep Ole in the job. Well, he's not Guardiola or Klopp so we may as well have any old shite coach.

USREDEVIL

While it could be true in 2021 it's worth mentioning that you are referring to a quote that was made when Zidane left Real Madrid the first time, in October 2018. I have seen journalists use it and it's a bit baffling.
Regardless he seems like a bit of a turn key manager. Not sure he'd want to manage in England where the competition is pretty crazy and getting crazier.

MDFC Manager

Sounds like Neville's happy for us to muddle through the season and see what happens. Quite the change from the 'has to win a trophy' mantra he was peddling a few weeks back. Ole would 100% have been sacked by now and getting way less wriggle room from the Co92 if he never played for us, it's a bloody joke really.
He's a hypocrite, he'd sack the manager of the club he owns, the moment they underperform.

JPRouve

Scout
Regardless he seems like a bit of a turn key manager. Not sure he'd want to manage in England where the competition is pretty crazy and getting crazier.
I don't really follow the first one, aren't we currently at a point where we want a manager that simply use the young and talented team that we built in the last 3 years? And do you think that it makes sense to question the competitive spirit of someone that was dealing with Atletico and Barcelona? i could understand that he doesn't want to live in England but it will have nothing to do with not wanting competition, that's the opposite of Zidane.

moxdevil

Pochettino is a serial bottler. What would be the point?

Conte or Zidane out of those available. Ten Hag if could get.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Good Point. But I think it’s easier to drop Rashford, Sancho, Martial or Greenwood to make a system work than to drop Mbappe, Messi and Neymar.
That's fair, but it's not really something you'd even want to do considering what the alternatives are. It's also not easy to drop CR7 either, and I would drop him before at least half of the players you mentioned given how United is currently constructed. Sometimes great teams comes with too many drawbacks, especially if the players are obviously bigger than the manager.

And I asked to justify the claim which you didn't. What metrics are you using to determine that he isn't better than managers he outperformed during the last 6 years during which he only managed for 5 seasons?
Because results or adaptability doesn't matter, it's all about having your clear style on a team, and never changing it, and ultimately losing because of it.

Zidane will never go to PSG, being from Marseille. You just don't do that.

USREDEVIL

I don't really follow the first one, aren't we currently at a point where we want a manager that simply use the young and talented team that we built in the last 3 years? And do you think that it makes sense to question the competitive spirit of someone that was dealing with Atletico and Barcelona? i could understand that he doesn't want to live in England but it will have nothing to do with not wanting competition, that's the opposite of Zidane.
I probably didn't explain enough. I think he would not take the United job as the conditions are pretty rough at the moment. When he managed Real Madrid he had a great squad and not that much competition for the league outside Barca and Atletico.

DON’T PANIC ™

Ten Hag for me should be our No1 choice for all the reasons already stated.
I also wouldn’t be adverse to giving it to Simeone. He’s managed to win titles in a league which is dominated by two giants. Sound familiar? People have been complaining about his style of football but it continues to be effective and bring trophies.

JPRouve

Scout
I probably didn't explain enough. I think he would not take the United job as the conditions are pretty rough at the moment. When he managed Real Madrid he had a great squad and not that much competition for the league outside Barca and Atletico.
The thing that I don't understand is would you use that argument for Guardiola, he has a great squad and only has Liverpool and Chelsea as competition. Would you say that he doesn't have much competition?

USREDEVIL

The thing that I don't understand is would you use that argument for Guardiola, he has a great squad and only has Liverpool and Chelsea as competition. Would you say that he doesn't have much competition?
I think the competitiveness of the EPL is far greater than La Liga. So no i would not say that.

JPRouve

Scout
I think the competitiveness of the EPL is far greater than La Liga. So no i would not say that.
Why wouldn't you say that? There has been less distance between La Liga best teams than PL best teams, losing or drawing in the PL isn't as impactful as it is in La Liga which effectively means that the like of Atletico, Barcelona and Real Madrid need to have a winning mindset every weeks, they also have generally been better than their English equivalents in the past 6 years with few exceptions. I mean, would you say that United(2nd in the PL) looked far superior to Villarreal during our last confrontations?

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
If he’s no longer with France, Deschamps as caretaker manager for me. If you know a little French, you’ll know his name literally means “The Champs”. If you know a bit more French though, you’ll know it just means “The Fields”. You’ll also know him as the last manager to take a French team to the CL final before Tuchel got the same idea.

He has unfinished business with Ol’ Big Ears, having lost a final with Monaco. He’s probably still hungry like the wolf in that competition, unlike Zidane. Zidane himself would probably be appointed as France’s manager in his stead, a post that he may currently be saving himself for. We have a long-standing tradition of not appointing balding managers since Big Ron, so I wouldn’t be too bothered about missing out on him.

Deschamps’ appointment will have to be completed during December. But this works well for us as November 2022 will be a World Cup month, and Ole usually gets great results during Nov-Dec. But this time we WON’T let him build up steam and turn things around. It’s a perfect, cunning plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.