Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You really think a DM and magically our team will play better. I doubt with Kante, we can even challenge. Let Ole take a stab managing City or Liverpool, I am pretty the football will be bad.
I firmly believe that our biggest issue in games this season has been the need for both McTominay and Fred to be present in midfield to account for our attacking players lack of work rate. Particularly with Ronaldo starting upfront we need the energy and defensive ability of both.

I also strongly believe having now observed them play together for 2 years that the issue is the lack of quality on the ball now too. I had high hopes that McTominay may develop into the holder but I was wrong. He’s too suited to being a box to box player to settle further back he’s got the striker instinct in him still in my opinion

You cannot field a weak midfield in the PL and expect to win a title. Our midfield can either be solid or expansive it’s currently incapable of being both at the same time. Right now with the attacking talent we have in front of it I’d rather it be solid and ideally bringing in a Rice or such like might help connect our attacking players to our midfielders a bit better while offering us a solid platform to defend from.

I don’t think it solves everything but the best way to improve is to raise the floor of the team right now. The floor is CM/DM so improve that first. Then see how an in theory all round quality side does under Ole. If he doesn’t cut it with a well built squad then we look at a new manager to take us the next step.

I agree about the midfield. It is our no.1 problem. Far more serious and urgent than the manager. As you’ve been saying, a new manager will not win the league with this squad.

After the recent performances and results, I don’t feel confident that Ole will survive long enough to see the benefit of fresh blood in CM. I feel it is very possible that results will be too bad for too long and he’ll get the bullet. It would be a shame as he’s done well in so many ways but sometimes managers hit a trough they can’t get out of.
As I said above. Raise the floor of the team. I don’t think Ole is the floor yet. He could be next year but right now he’s moved us forward and for that he deserves time.

Sviken

Conte aint winning this league in this competitive climate.
He won the Italian league with fecking Alexis Sanchez, Darmian and Ashley Young. He also dominated with Chelsea. If Conte can't win the league, then no-one can, not even Pep or Klopp. His league track record is beyond excellent. Whether it is now or a year from now, he will definitely win the league. The problems with Conte are different, but we're stuck in a scenario where if we don't get him, we'll waste this squad regardless. Almost the entire squad we have is in their prime. If they don't win now, we're fecked.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We need a youngish manager who's familiar with the tactics and science of modern football and not an old dinosaur. Anyone above 55 should be disqualified.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
This thread illustrates exactly why we should be sticking with Ole right now.

No consistency in the replacement names being touted, no regard for these names being the right fit and no respect for our values as a club. If it was down to most of you, we would do a Daniel Levy by sacking a manager and then desperately work our way through a list of alternative managers who are not right for our club.

Robaldo

I like Ole and he's bridged the gap well; however, the performances recently have been even worse than the results and I don't see it changing, unfortunately. We have some very difficult fixtures and I think we'll only wield the axe if the situation heads even further south. That being said, I'm sure the board would be aware that they could make the change following these fixtures to give any potential new manager a less challenging start - either way we wouldn't see a change before City (H) at least.

Rodgers is a great manager and I could forgive him for managing Liverpool because he bought them Balotelli and Ricky Lambert the Summer before he left.

Zidane probably isn't the same level of coach as others in the league, but he's excellent at balancing his sides and would give us a chance in the cups.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Everyone on here slagging Ole are ignoring context. He took over United in utter shambles under Mouriniho and has actually managed not to sign one flop after another, brought through young players and got United finishing back to back in the top 3 for the first time since Ferguson.

Does that mean he’s the man to take us forward? No, especially with recent performances. But just binning him a few games into a new season where, despite some complete shite, there have been some promising results (for example we failed to score 5 goals in 5 years following Ferguson’s retirement and we have already done it this season) and not just binning him, but binning him for Wenger who had many of the same problems we are having in terms of progress, is talking shite I’m afraid.

It certainly isn’t an opinion where “context matters” is it?
What context did we ignore about Ole ? Results and point wise, we are worse than Jose. Yes, agreed he did a great job in bringing us back to the fold and he will always be appreciated. Let's stop it there. The past achievements shouldn't determine what to do now. We are on a free fall.

Wenger is being recommended for a short-term. until end of the season. He has proved time and time that he will get the best out of a team. So we aren't exactly losing anything. Ofcourse , this is assuming we don't get Conte,Zidane ,Ten Hag or any decent ones. Ole has to go though. That too immediately.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I
He’s got the charisma of a wet flannel, his football has never particularly wowed me either, even though he undoubtedly did well at Spurs. I just don’t really get it with him, he’s not for me. Obviously better than Ole though.
have found him to be quite the opposite actually - pretty charismatic in interviews and a straight shooter. But fair enough.

Sviken

No consistency in the replacement names being touted, no regard for these names being the right fit and no respect for our values as a club. If it was down to most of you, we would do a Daniel Levy by sacking a manager and then desperately work our way through a list of alternative managers who are not right for our club.
Why? What kind of consistency you can expect when Ole himself doesn't have a style or actual plan on how we're meant to play? I mean if Klopp or Guardiola were our managers and they were looking to depart, obviously we'd look for someone who fits closely to the style they practice, but with Ole we have no discernible style, so it doesn't matter if you bring Conte, Zidane or ten Hag, they'll implement their style of play.

croadyman

Ten Haag 100% but we won't bother forking out the money to buy him out of his contract

croadyman

The step up for Potter would be too big, I don’t think he would get the respect from players like Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno, De Gea etc. These players are ready to win something now not in 3 years time.
Yeah that's the part which worries me about him as well

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The step up for Potter would be too big, I don’t think he would get the respect from players like Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno, De Gea etc. These players are ready to win something now not in 3 years time.
None of the top 6 contenders outside of the traditional top 4 have any decent manager unless you consider rafa :wenger:. We might have to take risks now until we find the right manager because persisting with someone who's clearly not working isn't the solution.

RedDevilQuebecois

And what are those values as a club?
Playing attractive and attacking football? We have not done that in a while unless the other side is named Leeds United. We are still as boring as we were under Jose and Van Gaal.
Giving youngsters a chance? Outside of Mason Greenwood, who else has Ole successfully promoted fully into the first team instead of sending them on loan after loan?
Aim for excellence if we can't get perfection? We have the tools, but we are not using them to such effect. This is where the notion of results-oriented business makes sense.

Right now, the mere notion of sticking with Ole is like choosing to remain in an abusive marriage instead of calling for a divorce. It can only snowball into something far worse unless you put a stop and then start anew with a different relationship.

USREDEVIL

Your name is on point bro.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yeah let's continue being trophyless for the next 20 years because fans are undecided on who our next manager should be.

FatTails

For me, the order would be something like this:

Luis Enrique
Zidane
Ten hag
Conte
Pochettino
Rodgers

Potter
Thomas Frank

Keep Ole

Southgate
Steve Bruce

Alek M

Da manic one
I can tell you that Rogers will NEVER manage United. And if you suggested him, then wow. Your forum privileges should be taken off.
Nobody on the horizon that is young, promising and available.
Ten Hag is an interesting prospect. Young, unproven but has been playing some great footie.
Not sold on Conte, Zidane and the like. Louis Enrique wtf?

D. Mungai

Hansi Flick.

United should break all the bank, talk to him, convince him to take the job.
He created a Monster in bayern, even for the new coach it's easy now.

Sviken

I can tell you that Rogers will NEVER manage United. And if you suggested him, then wow. Your forum privileges should be taken off.
Ten Hag is an interesting prospect. Young, unproven but has been playing some great footie.
What is this kind of thought some place have? It's like they live in an alternate reality where we are replacing Pep Guardiola as a manager. This poster is not sold on Conte and Zidane, proven winners, but is willing to continue with Ole, a guy who managed to relegate Cardiff and then lost most of his games in the Championship. A guy whose sole achievement as a manager was winning the Norwegian league 10 years ago. Amazing.

amolbhatia50k

:lol: Are you some sort of expert voice on managerial talent? How the feck would you know that there are no managers out there who are young, promising and available (for a club as huge as United to match)?

amolbhatia50k

What is this kind of thought some place have? It's like they live in an alternate reality where we are replacing Pep Guardiola as a manager. This poster is not sold on Conte and Zidane, proven winners, but is willing to continue with Ole, a guy who managed to relegate Cardiff and then lost most of his games in the Championship. A guy whose sole achievement as a manager was winning the Norwegian league 10 years ago. Amazing.
:lol: Exactly.

Apparently we've had it so good these past 4 years, we can only replace Ole if we have someone who has 10 big trophies to his name and has also managed to be unemployed.

Scholsey2004

I firmly believe that our biggest issue in games this season has been the need for both McTominay and Fred to be present in midfield to account for our attacking players lack of work rate. Particularly with Ronaldo starting upfront we need the energy and defensive ability of both.

I also strongly believe having now observed them play together for 2 years that the issue is the lack of quality on the ball now too. I had high hopes that McTominay may develop into the holder but I was wrong. He’s too suited to being a box to box player to settle further back he’s got the striker instinct in him still in my opinion

You cannot field a weak midfield in the PL and expect to win a title. Our midfield can either be solid or expansive it’s currently incapable of being both at the same time. Right now with the attacking talent we have in front of it I’d rather it be solid and ideally bringing in a Rice or such like might help connect our attacking players to our midfielders a bit better while offering us a solid platform to defend from.

I don’t think it solves everything but the best way to improve is to raise the floor of the team right now. The floor is CM/DM so improve that first. Then see how an in theory all round quality side does under Ole. If he doesn’t cut it with a well built squad then we look at a new manager to take us the next step.

As I said above. Raise the floor of the team. I don’t think Ole is the floor yet. He could be next year but right now he’s moved us forward and for that he deserves time.
I think this sums it up. We've got one high energy technically mediocre midfield and one low energy technically good midfield and they dont appear to be successffully interchangeable with each other. Fred and McTominay have put in some terrific workmanlike performances for us against some very good sides but its hard to imagine consistently winning trophies with a mid-table midfield. Pogba and Matic just doesnt work against anyone with a bit of quality and desire for the opposite reason, theyre passive. Pogba shouldnt be in midfield for us imo, he should be used further up the pitch and Matic ideally wouldnt be starting games at all, at this stage. McFred should be the backup midfield with 2 new midfielders brought in. Ideally young enough so we dont have to have this conversation again in 2 years time like we seem to keep having to do with the strikers we sign.

amolbhatia50k

So did Di Matteo.
Yeah who achieved more for Chelsea than Ole. Imagine us winning another CL, it would 25% of our total tally. And if that manager could have us top 8 games (like Tuchel) into the following season, that would be even better.

Those who support Ole are hilarious. They spend more time belittling other managers than praising Ole as it's easier to say "Everybody is shit!" rather than "Ole is great".

Scholsey2004

I was surprisex to find that Brendan Rodgers is still just 48. With his CV that's pretty impressive. Has a better win percentage now at Leicester than he had at Liverpool which is interesting. Might be a bit much to swallow for some with him having managed Liverpool but still...

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah who achieved more for Chelsea than Ole. Imagine us winning another CL, it would 25% of our total tally. And if that manager could have us top 8 games (like Tuchel) into the following season, that would be even better.

Those who support Ole are hilarious. They spend more time belittling other managers than praising Ole as it's easier to say "Everybody is shit!" rather than "Ole is great".
I'm underwhelmed by the options for the next manager, it has nothing to do with Ole. He's unlikely to win anything with this team and so are any of them in my opinion.

Pinning your hopes on the next manager from that list doing a Tuchel in the CL is almost definitely doomed to fail. Did you watch them on Saturday night against Brentford? How they won that game I'll never know. Similar to most games I've seen of them this season, they've been lucky rather than good.

Eplel

This is next level mental gymnastics.
Let's stick with a manager that's completely out of his depth, and waste another season, instead of bringing someone competent in, because they might fail the "top red" United DNA test.

RkkMan

I'm underwhelmed by the options for the next manager, it has nothing to do with Ole. He's unlikely to win anything with this team and so are any of them in my opinion.

Pinning your hopes on the next manager from that list doing a Tuchel in the CL is almost definitely doomed to fail. Did you watch them on Saturday night against Brentford? How they won that game I'll never know. Similar to most games I've seen of them this season, they've been lucky rather than good.
So we should just fold our hands and continue to accept the sheer mediocre week in week out performances due to fear of the unknown? That's a ridiculously defiant mentality to have especially when the current manager isn't working. Keeping Ole and experiencing more bad results that undoes all the good work he's done is a bigger risk than hiring Conte/Zidane who will make us win something NOW not in 2/3 years time. Unlike other years we actually have a solid squad with just a few holes and tweaks needed to improve us not a squad overhaul
As for Chelsea's result vs Brentford when a team has more good performances than bad on top of being the reigning European Champions they're allowed to have an off day hence why people aren't talking about Chelsea. Utd on the other hand are making bad performances become a norm after a spending spree and 3 years to form a style of play the pressure and criticism on the team and manager is warranted on us

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So we should just fold our hands and continue to accept the sheer mediocre week in week out performances due to fear of the unknown? That's a ridiculously defiant mentality to have especially when the current manager isn't working. Keeping Ole and experiencing more bad results that undoes all the good work he's done is a bigger risk than hiring Conte/Zidane who will make us win something NOW not in 2/3 years time. Unlike other years we actually have a solid squad with just a few holes and tweaks needed to improve us not a squad overhaul
As for Chelsea's result vs Brentford when a team has more good performances than bad on top of being the reigning European Champions they're allowed to have an off day hence why people aren't talking about Chelsea. Utd on the other hand are making bad performances become a norm after a spending spree and 3 years to form a style of play the pressure and criticism on the team and manager is warranted on us
No we should wait for the right man rather than just whoever is available.

Zidane and Conte will win nothing NOW. And I can be far more confident of that prediction than you can that they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.