Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think Zidane suits us as he’s pragmatic and very good at managing the stars we now have - Plus he wouldn’t tear up the structure. I could easily see him fitting in seamlessly in that regard. Not sure he wants to manage in England though as everything I’ve read suggests he has zero interest in it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

What do those more knowledgable say about Gallardo? Surely just a matter of time before he comes over to Europe.

DON’T PANIC ™

I don’t know why Diego Simeone isn’t a candidate under more consideration.
He’s broken the dominance of the big 2 in Spain, and he’s demonstrated it over a significant period of time.
Yes, when he was a player he was a nasty piece of work, but he clearly has the man management skills to get the best out of players. Look at Trippier for example. Griezman too looks a much better player than at Barcelona.
I would take him over Conte in a heartbeat.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He’s broken the dominance of the big 2 in Spain, and he’s demonstrated it over a significant period of time.
Yes, when he was a player he was a nasty piece of work, but he clearly has the man management skills to get the best out of players. Look at Trippier for example. Griezman too looks a much better player than at Barcelona.
Awful style of play will be the biggest one - he's improved it but no chance with the current squad.

DomM

Simeone would be a good choice, he'd soon get us playing as a team instead of as complete strangers.

DON’T PANIC ™

And you think he can win trophies with his style and this squad do you?
I think Simeone would introduce clear systems of play where we can create chances and use the talent we have to actually break teams down. He’d make us less naive defensively as well and Simeone certainly wouldn’t be afraid of dropping consistent under performers. I’d prefer to watch a team of grafters, each who know their role, rather than the current setup where we rely on one of our forwards scoring the odd wonder goal to scrape a win or draw against second rate opposition.

lsd

The Oracle

Wow I stopped watching us under Van Gaal we were so boring . I would actively hate is under Simeone

Judas

Open to offers
2021 and after all we've seen since Fergie, you still get the odd questionable poster wanting Simeone! Quite impressive. I'd rather just stop watching football.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I love Ole - love to have him involved with the club. Just not manager.

Ten Hag - can roll the dice with him. Would rather that than shithousery grinding for a league cup win.

croadyman

Could we not get Zidane/Conte for a couple of seasons to achieve something with this current team then if a Ten Haag/Rose/Nagelsmann become available around that time then look to bring them in

BaillyBaillyBailly

I personally think that Erik ten Hag is the most suitable option for us at the moment based on the following:
- Plays to our preferred formation in either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but with an actual structure gives players specific roles and functions to fulfil.
- Is an upwardly mobile manager building his reputation but doing whilst performing admirably in the Champions League with a squad that cannot compare with the big guns
- Promotes youth as and when they are ready

Other potential candidates I think just don't work on a number of levels:
Conte: We don't have the squad currently to fit his model. He would bring in players that fit his system in Jan/Summer and these players would be unuseable for whoever the next manager is. Conte ALWAYS falls out with the board and then leaves after a few seasons.
Zidane: Essentially the same as Ole. Pragmatic and good at managing the egos in the dressing room. No discernable style of play.
Poch: Unavailable.
Simeone: Plays a style that the vast majority of fans will not accept.
Luis Enrique: Unavailable
Rodgers: Managed Liverpool.

croadyman

Wow I stopped watching us under Van Gaal we were so boring . I would actively hate is under Simeone
I didn't see boring football from his team tonight but maybe I was watching a different game

Eddy_JukeZ

I personally think that Erik ten Hag is the most suitable option for us at the moment based on the following:
- Plays to our preferred formation in either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but with an actual structure gives players specific roles and functions to fulfil.
- Is an upwardly mobile manager building his reputation but doing whilst performing admirably in the Champions League with a squad that cannot compare with the big guns
- Promotes youth as and when they are ready

Other potential candidates I think just don't work on a number of levels:
Conte: We don't have the squad currently to fit his model. He would bring in players that fit his system in Jan/Summer and these players would be unuseable for whoever the next manager is. Conte ALWAYS falls out with the board and then leaves after a few seasons.
Zidane: Essentially the same as Ole. Pragmatic and good at managing the egos in the dressing room. No discernable style of play.
Poch: Unavailable.
Simeone: Plays a style that the vast majority of fans will not accept.
Luis Enrique: Unavailable
Rodgers: Managed Liverpool.
Zidane is the essentially the same as Ole, except he wins a thousand times more, is way better at making in-game adjustments and has again won a thousand times more.

It's not even close.

He wouldn't be my preferred choice, but comparing him and Ole is disrespectful to Zidane.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Zidane is the essentially the same as Ole, except he wins a thousand times more, is way better at making in-game adjustments and has again won a thousand times more.

It's not even close.

He wouldn't be my preferred choice, but comparing him and Ole is disrespectful to Zidane.
It's crazy how disrespected he is. We're talking about a manager that has won three back to back CL's. Do people not realise how hard that is? He also continued to have success after the departure of Ronaldo and did well with what he had last year. Insane that a manager with his CV can be underrated.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's crazy how disrespected he is. We're talking about a manager that has won three back to back CL's. Do people not realise how hard that is? He also continued to have success after the departure of Ronaldo and did well with what he had last year. Insane that a manager with his CV can be underrated.
People on here think he's the only manager who's managed great individuals.

It is maddening to read some of the posts on Zidane.

I thought those would completely disappear when he returned for the 2nd stint and still enjoyed success.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
If a new manager comes in he should play a style that suits Utd's squad. Personally I would take Rodgers. He has alot of experience in the Prem and some in Europe. There are some questionmarks over his bottle in big games but he deserves another chance at a huge club.

I think he would get on well with Ronaldo too. They could go halfers on a sunbed.

Last edited:

lex talionis

It has to be Zidane. We have the squad right now to go for it all. Yes, we have a huge hole at CDM but we have a squad that should be able to challenge for the PL trophy.

MattofManchester

Well, the general consensus is that every manager might have a chance of failing in the United job, so might as well hire no one, because at least we know how good or bad Ole is gonna be.

poleglass red

I didn't see boring football from his team tonight but maybe I was watching a different game
hell of a game, simply because Liverpool scored early twice. Atletico had set up defensively 5-3-2, and would have stayed that way all game if Liverpool hadn't of scored, with them simply looking to counter. As soon as they started to attack, when they had to at 2 nil down, they carved open Liverpool at will. Begs the question, with the team he has at home, why not go for it from the start. Liverpool's defence looked a bit all over the place with their full backs struggling defensively. Be interesting if other managers use that as a template against them, instead if typically sitting back

captaincantona

Brendan Rodgers will go to City or back to Liverpool when both of those lads piss off...and we will still be pottering around like gobshites...piping on about “expectations at this club” and “passion” and winning trophies while simultaneously showing none of the above. We will then all be on here cursing the fact that we didn’t hire Rodgers.

He made Pool genuine contenders when others were much stronger, his Celtic record doesn’t count but Leicester are a few injuries from top 4 playing good football. If Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Naglesmann and Rose are off the table...and it’s between him and Poch, I’d take him.

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
I'm surprised so many people think that a manager like Conte is right for this particular time. I do rate Conte as a manager but I think he's a gamble, I think you could hire him, back him in a transfer window and if it all goes wrong, you're back at square one.

...but square one isn't where United are right now, its where they were before Ole, when you had these messes of teams after Moyes, Van Gaal and then Mourinho.

As an outsider, I think it's commendable that Solskjaer has built this sort of squad. He's cut some deadwood, got some players at their peak and he's signed some genuine talent. United's squad has been managed excellently.

I don't think Solskjaer is going to become an ATG manager but I would worry for United if a guy like Conte was signed. If it works, great, you win things but if it doesn't? You probably set the club back to the Mourinho days by hiring a volatile character who wants a squad built in his own image. If that backfires, it could remove all these years of progress and leave United with another mess to clear up before you can even think of titles again.

United are close, but the next manager should be a sensible option. Someone who can be the cherry on top, not someone who will want to overhaul everything.

dinostar77

Zidane or Ten Hag will do nicely.

Rodgers could be in with a shout as well.
Rodgers isnt a bad shout. If Utd wanted to have a british manager again. He plays good football and is smart, though his teams do have a habit of faltering toward the end of a season.

I dont think we could match Conte ambition. He wants to win the CL multiple times and wants a club that can match his ambition and ridiculous standards. Dont think we are that club.

Zidane is a non starter in my opinion. He wants the france national team job.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I agree, I would love to see Simeone here! I think he would be brilliant, his passion, his man management, the way he implements a system...I know most people think he's negative but I think that's unfair. Athletico are an exciting team to watch! Plus I find his madman antics on the touchline hilarious!

NoPace

Potter for me. Let him build the next great United team, we have no identity and Brighton are miles better in possession than they have any right to be, and they actually press. It's a really average Premiership squad apart from Lamptey going forward and Bissouma when he's available. Maupay and Trossard and Dunk are handy players but not United quality. They've even managed to survive games with Lallana and Gross as the central midfielders which we couldn't do for a half without getting torn apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.