Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm all for that, but the one thing that would arise is a complete squad overhaul again, with our board that could be problematic. Poch plays a high energy, high pressing game. That doesn't and I don't think would ever suit players like Pogba or Martial. Right now it doesn't suit Greenwood or Rash either, but I think they could be worked with to become that, but it certainly wouldn't be an overnight transformation if it did work at all. Defenders to would have to adapt or be changed. This system we have now where we let teams have the ball, it wouldn't work in a Poch system. Mid could be ok with Bruno, VDB, Fred and McT, they can all press, Matic not so much. It just seems eveytime we switch managers, they bring a whole new football identity and we are in a constant cycle of them trying to get the players they need to implement it and it never fully materializes due to board unable to meet their demands. 'm all for Poch getting it, so long as fans don't think he'd come and we'd be changed overnight, going from a counter attacking team to a high press would take time and money.
Oh you can guarantee there will be idiots jumping on our new manager immediately if results dont improve.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'm all for that, but the one thing that would arise is a complete squad overhaul again, with our board that could be problematic. Poch plays a high energy, high pressing game. That doesn't and I don't think would ever suit players like Pogba or Martial. Right now it doesn't suit Greenwood or Rash either, but I think they could be worked with to become that, but it certainly wouldn't be an overnight transformation if it did work at all. Defenders to would have to adapt or be changed. This system we have now where we let teams have the ball, it wouldn't work in a Poch system. Mid could be ok with Bruno, VDB, Fred and McT, they can all press, Matic not so much. It just seems eveytime we switch managers, they bring a whole new football identity and we are in a constant cycle of them trying to get the players they need to implement it and it never fully materializes due to board unable to meet their demands. 'm all for Poch getting it, so long as fans don't think he'd come and we'd be changed overnight, going from a counter attacking team to a high press would take time and money.
It’d have to suit them or they’d be out. That’s what we need. A fecking shake up. See who wants to try hard for the shirt and for the manager and who’s in it for the money. Can hazard a guess which side most players in this current team would fall on.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Are people considering that the likes of Hasenhüttl Nagelsmann and Rose are only used to working under an organised structure/DoF which we don't have? This is where Poch edges it but I'd prefer any of those three to him

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I cannot see how you can describe Poch as proven. Here's his managerial record....

Tottenham Hotspur

Individual

Basically, he's achieved nothing of note and never held meaningful silverware above his head. How can this possibly make him ready to lead by example one of the most successful and popular clubs in the world. Whoever manages United carries a weight of expectation from fans, the media and investors that's massively greater than the same expectations of any Spurs manager? Only Barca and Real can compare with our manager's role.

On top of this, it's pretty obvious we have a 'nice' manager now and the players get away with murder under his oversight. Do we really want another manager the players will like?

I want one they will respect for his own achievements (managerially, as opposed to on the pitch), listen to because he knows what he's talking about and also be a little bit afraid of as he's willing to take a hard line with them when needed.

Allegri would be my choice.
I think allegri is the worst choice available and puts us back into the Mourinho remit again. We will not win anything by changing the whole direction of the club yet again.

tomaldinho1

I think allegri is the worst choice available and puts us back into the Mourinho remit again. We will not win anything by changing the whole direction of the club yet again.
Genuinely anyone who is saying Allegri has never watched his sides play and is just Googling 'best managers' or some shit. He would be the worst appointment possible, would be like appointing Woy.

The Urban Goose

At this stage, WGAF? It'll be the same old cycle and the same old "sack him!", "he needs time" debate on here until he finally gets sacked three months after the latest bungled summer window from Woodward and Judge.

We need to also look elsewhere. I'd start with getting in the best defensive coach (not manager, on-the-training-field coach) I could find. I obv. have no direct knowledge and apparently Carrick and McKenna are highly rated, but it seems clear that no-one at the club has the first clue about coaching a defence.

James Peril

I find it amusing that people think Pochettino is purely a counter-attacking manager (which he is not) and that he is not capable of changing his approach to a new squad. He was manager for Tottenham, at United he will have access to better players and better recruitment policies. I have seen Tottenham play wonderful football under him a few years ago, a kind of charge I was jelous of, now we might get to see it here too.

RRCE

Yep but he lacks your first point which is the main problem. He’s not world class hence why we are doing non world class things. Like 15th in the table.
I totally agree. Sir Alex was able to elevate the players he had as a collective. Ole has been in the job long enough for it to be evident that he's not capable of doing that.

poleglass red

It’d have to suit them or they’d be out. That’s what we need. A fecking shake up. See who wants to try hard for the shirt and for the manager and who’s in it for the money. Can hazard a guess which side most players in this current team would fall on.
I agree totally, but we seem to be in a constant state of shaking it up. LVG tried it, Jose tried and now Ole. Ole's plan was to promote young, hungry players who we can develop and want to succeed. Rash last 2 games has barely even shown any hunger, Martial was half arsed v Istanbul, yet still at the end of it we have Rojo and Jones not off loaded yet.I think there has to be a point where the board or lack of has to be addressed or we will be on this managerial roundabout for yrs. We have a quality no 2 keeper, I can't see him being happy with his playing time. De Gea has seemingly found his form again and is only 29. In the meantime Romero is pissed off and understandably wants out, yet was a happy no 2. We've needed an attacking right winder for ages, what do we do, buy a mid who we can't seem to fit in our team. A new manager may come in, we may get that new manager bounce like we did with Ole. He may even sign a new player in Jan window and we get that new player bounce we got with Bruno but ultimately they just cover the cracks.

shaky

Poch. Knows the league and has the experience on the biggest stage. A hipster ala Rose or Hasenhuttl would be very risky picks.
Experience of losing on the biggest stage? Sounds like he'll fit in well here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Whoever it is, we have to get past this strange obsession with loyalty to the manager above all else. Managers, like players, are replaceable. They need to do well, and if they don't show enough, you move on. Some can do a decent job but ultimately not be good enough and thats fine. We've had plenty of that with players over the past decade, so why this obsession to say its failure or success for a manager, when the lines are blurred? The jobs managers do is largely about timing. Ole has done a good job overall, until now. The longer he stays, the worse it'll be in the end. Last season he deserved to stay as we were making forward progress, but there is no evidence that we'll go anywhere further with him anymore, which is why his time has to be up.

Football is just not what it was and you won't get someone like Sir Alex, here for 25 years anymore. Not happening. We have to adapt and be adaptable otherwise the rut will continue.

I really, really don't want Poch.

From his time at Spurs:

Pochettino gives them freedom. For example, players at some clubs have to sign up to a code of conduct but not at Tottenham. Pochettino will not fine a player for being a couple of minutes late or wearing the wrong clothing. To him, it is important that they have the framework to express themselves.

Pochettino would describe his approach as fluid and holistic. He is not bound by conventions, such as running through tactics and set pieces the day before a game or naming the team immediately after the final session. For the 3-0 win at Hull City on Wednesday 14 December, he announced the lineup two hours before kick-off. Furthermore, he switched to a formation with three at the back.

Pochettino believes that he cannot stress the players’ bodies or minds. Some managers stick to pre-match schedules partly as a comfort to themselves, so that they can say they ticked every box. Not Pochettino.
We've seen what happens when you trust this group of players.

We've seen what happens when you expect them to be self-motivated or assume that they have the footballing IQ to give them this type of flexibility and faith.

Stacks

Poch is our next manager. People who're opposite to the idea should start warming for the guy during the next few months for their own sake.
I agree. I am 50/50 but he would get my full support when he eventually comes. Its kind of an experiment. I am curious to see how he fares when being able to break the bank on a player (it may not work out). That said he does make players improve, including young ones. we will see but I am pretty sure he is number 1 option

Judas

Open to offers

From his time at Spurs:

We've seen what happens when you expect them to be self-motivated or assume that they have the footballing IQ to give them this type of flexibility and faith.
:lol: bloody hell that sounds like the exact opposite of what people on here want. Feel like our squad would love that approach for a bit, until they get bored of it and stop playing for him.

Gator Nate

I'll throw a vote in for Jess Marsch, and we buy Haaland.

But the truth:

Who's the man after the next manager?
Bored now, fill your boots on this shite.

Not even saying Ole is the answer just don’t think the answer is out there under this ownership, the quick options like Poch stink of exactly that, a quick fix.
You guys still think a new manager will solve anything :lol: ? Wont change shit as he will still have this mess of a squad and will be getting 3rd and 4th choice targets thanks to our brilliant executives and incompetent board.
Let's be honest it doesn't matter who the next manager is.
For the record, I'm still Ole in, for three reasons. I genuinely like the guy, he's shown he has the tactical chops (his record doesn't lie, you don't luck into the number or quality of wins he has), and we'll keep having the same issues as long as the company is run the way it is, regardless of the manager. They gave him enough to get back into the Champions' League, then they chopped his legs off going into it. Many predicted it. The next manager, whenever that happens, will get the same treatment, as will the next, ad absurdum until the Glazers get out or change their mindset.

croadyman

Are people considering that the likes of Hasenhüttl Nagelsmann and Rose are only used to working under an organised structure/DoF which we don't have? This is where Poch edges it but I'd prefer any of those three to him
Those guys interest me but all are currently in jobs and Utd don't appoint managers in that situation

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I cannot see how you can describe Poch as proven. Here's his managerial record....

Tottenham Hotspur

Individual

Basically, he's achieved nothing of note and never held meaningful silverware above his head. How can this possibly make him ready to lead by example one of the most successful and popular clubs in the world. Whoever manages United carries a weight of expectation from fans, the media and investors that's massively greater than the same expectations of any Spurs manager? Only Barca and Real can compare with our manager's role.

On top of this, it's pretty obvious we have a 'nice' manager now and the players get away with murder under his oversight. Do we really want another manager the players will like?

I want one they will respect for his own achievements (managerially, as opposed to on the pitch), listen to because he knows what he's talking about and also be a little bit afraid of as he's willing to take a hard line with them when needed.

Allegri would be my choice.
And what did LVG and Mourinho achieve here? you mean the fluked Europa league win in absolutely dreadful competition that year? Far from what we should aim for anyway. But Mourinho is proven right? Such a fraud. LVG and his FA cup run, that does mean very little. noone careas about that. Their record is as abysmal with much higer budget/net spend. Silverware achieved nothing by that logic we would never buy some players who made the step up and became the best players in the world.

Same with coaches, Guardiola won feck all before becoming a Barcelona manager. Klopp won it in a off year for Bayern in a piss poor Bundesliga, fair play to him though but he only showed how good he´s at Liverpool.

Your silverware argument is very tiring. Yet you would be that kind of poster claiming we should go for Rose or Hassenhuttl, or maybe some proven dinosaur manager like Van Gaal or Mourinho, please tell me:-)

And before you start argumenting if you even care by proven I mean that he took Soton from a newly promoted team struggling with consistency and playing near the bottom table to a regular midtable club out playing much bigger teams including us.

At Spurs he took a top6 club to a regular Champions league team. He made it to CL final and one semis iirc. Also remember that clash against Juventus when his players cost him with two brainfarts and threw away a comfortable lead.

Sometimes trophies are about luck and it´s hard to win some especially when you play in England which is exptremely competetive league. How fecking easy it must be to walk the league in Seria A for Juventus or for Ajax in their league...

I am off

RkkMan

AWB is far from good enough, Being a good tackler is not enough. Pep has always struggled with centre backs buys. Maguire is not good enough, Shaw not good enough. Top teams use fullbacks that can get more than 1-2 assist every seasons. Our fullbacks kills our attack in almost every match!
I`ve specifically talked up Shaw as a squad player not a regular don`t know why you`ve made it look like I rate him that highly.For cup competitions and rotation he`s a solid back up to Telles who`s miles better attacking wise.
I`ll judge Maguire when he has a better partner than Lindelof/Bailly/Axel next to him
AWB granted needs to do more going forward but he was one of the best fullbacks ITL last season(had the same number of assists as Walker/Chilwell and co despite his flaws), just 22 and this is just his 2nd season at a big club he deserves a benefit of doubt

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think peoples problem with Poch, myself included, is that although he plays the high press, he does not instill an attacking nous to his team. He relies instead on individual brilliance rather than coached brilliance, like say Guardiola.

That is why people are saying Nagelsman, Rose, the southhampton manager etc. because everyone can clearly see they are coached attacking wise.
Agreed..

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

From his time at Spurs:

What are you talking about he drills players, gets them to work double training sessions.

Ollie Derbyshire

I agree Id happily take Rogers. He could have achieved the same as Klopp but wasnt given the time. Hes ex Liverpool but he would shake some things up and has a great track record of bringing players through.
Yeah, think it’d be a great move, like you say it’d shake things up for sure. Obviously we’ll not do it and give it to Mark Hughes, is he free? Haha

jamesjimmybyrondean

I agree Id happily take Rogers. He could have achieved the same as Klopp but wasnt given the time. Hes ex Liverpool but he would shake some things up and has a great track record of bringing players through.
Do you mean transfer window recruitment

Ollie Derbyshire

I'll throw a vote in for Jess Marsch, and we buy Haaland.

But the truth:

For the record, I'm still Ole in, for three reasons. I genuinely like the guy, he's shown he has the tactical chops (his record doesn't lie, you don't luck into the number or quality of wins he has), and we'll keep having the same issues as long as the company is run the way it is, regardless of the manager. They gave him enough to get back into the Champions' League, then they chopped his legs off going into it. Many predicted it. The next manager, whenever that happens, will get the same treatment, as will the next, ad absurdum until the Glazers get out or change their mindset.
Don’t agree with blaming the owners/Woodward on not being able to beat Istanbul or playing shocking football this season. Do they coach the players? No course not.

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
I think Poch is probably an option. As others have said he knows the Prem and he's coached a top 4 prem team. It seemed like Tottenham at least didn't shut off when some of the results got worse compared to us when we go down 1-0. I however am skeptical about his results at Tottenham and if that carries into our team.

Reactions: VeevaVee

iato89

Nagelsann and Rose are my preferred tow, but poch is close to them, also Hasenhüttl is an interesting choice. Allegri is not our style, Rodgers will never be accepted and the others are too raw. Other then those not interest overall.

hubbuh

From his time at Spurs:

Is that genuine?! He sounds like a hippy! He can leave the jazz cigarettes and hareem pants at Carrington gates, we need someone who is razor sharp in their vision and ability to execute said vision.

hubbuh

From his time at Spurs:

Have you edited parts of that article to make Poch look worse? There are parts that have been cut from the original piece!!!

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think Rose Nagelsman and Hasenhüttl all work under a DoF. Pochettino prefers not to which makes him more suited for the job. Not like these other managers have achievements that blows Poch off the park

Womp

idiot
Nagelsmann and Rose would be my preferred choices too, but I don't see them leaving their respective jobs for a few more years yet. I've always been a fan of Poch and I genuinely think he's one of the best managers on the planet, I've just got a feeling, he won't suit us though. He would be my preferred option since the first two are unattainable though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nagelsmann and Rose would be my preferred choices too, but I don't see them leaving their respective jobs for a few more years yet. I've always been a fan of Poch and I genuinely think he's one of the best managers on the planet, I've just got a feeling, he won't suit us though. He would be my preferred option since the first two are unattainable though.
Rose would leave because I can't see him taking Gladbach any further after the current season.

Status
Not open for further replies.