Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oracle

This must be a United thing that every time we need something, there seems to be no quality.

We need a CDM? There’s no one available in the market.
RB? No quality in the market.
Coach? They are all at our rivals and we got nothing.

We are always a step behind and this is annoying.
CDM = Rice
RB = Trippier (who will actually cross the ball into the box)
Coach = Zidane (won Champions League three times) or Rodgers (7 trophies from 7 finals)

We are not a step behind, it is that we don't act... we tolerate mediocre for far too long!

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Conte with this squad would be a cheat code. He'd take us to a new level. He's available, it's really straightforward, for most clubs that is.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Every manager in PL and probably the championship is better than him so its impossible to get a worse manager. He is a Eliteserien level manager and nothing more.

bleedred

At this point I wouldn't mind getting a stop gap if we cannot figure out an option for now. Ranieri could be a better short term option.

OneUnited24

Conte with this squad would be a cheat code. He'd take us to a new level. He's available, it's really straightforward, for most clubs that is.
I was against his appointment because of the drama he brings but for a season being him in

izec

We always make the same mistakes. We know that the current manager is crap, stick by him, while the good ones get picked up by other clubs. Rinse repeat.

If you know Ole is not good enough, which was known 2 years ago already, but some obviously thought we need to give him 4 years and half a billion to find that out, while it was clear from the start, you sack him once you know a manager you want is available. But we only think about it once we sack the current one. No planning or ambition in this club whatsoever.

Currently, there are only Conte and Zidane, but not sure they suit us, as we don't know what we want. Neither the fans, the owners or the muppets running it on a daily basis.

dinostar77

Conte for me for a few seasons while we have Ronaldo. A PL is almost guaranteed with him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Erik Ten Hag or Luis Enrique for me. Gasperini would be interesting but very non-United.

RedAlways78

Are we really in that bad of a position?

Have faith in Ole. We are improving.

AaronRedDevil

Honestly there's no good manager that'll give me confidence. All the good ones are taken and the others are too defensive in their playing style. Every choice just seems like a big risk. Maybe Ten Hag? But dutch managers never work, there dutch style football doesn't work in the PL. Poch and Allegri would be a big no. Might as well get emery. So I really don't know.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We always make the same mistakes. We know that the current manager is crap, stick by him, while the good ones get picked up by other clubs. Rinse repeat.

If you know Ole is not good enough, which was known 2 years ago already, but some obviously thought we need to give him 4 years and half a billion to find that out, while it was clear from the start, you sack him once you know a manager you want is available. But we only think about it once we sack the current one. No planning or ambition in this club whatsoever.
He showed it when he bottled top 4 in his first season, but we are all romantics and just have new hope after every false dawn.

But he's clearly not fit for the job and can't hide behind the squad quality.

Red Stone

Massive wanker, though. He's even more short term than Mourinho. It'll be all fine and dandy for about a season and a half, and then he'll flip his lid and be out of here.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was against his appointment because of the drama he brings but for a season being him in
To be fair he was at the clubs where he could be a drama queen. At United even the madman Van Gaal seemed to behave. Jose the mental one did have his meltdown moments but he always talked highly of the supporters and Ed Woodward. If Conte being weird for a few times in a season would mean that I don't have to endure watching clueless football then I'm in. We've always talked about longevity but realistically at this modern age, a manager could only last in one club 5-6 years max. And if they do bad during that time that's half a decade wasted on the wrong person.

Dembeza

CDM = Rice
RB = Trippier (who will actually cross the ball into the box)
Coach = Zidane (won Champions League three times) or Rodgers (7 trophies from 7 finals)

We are not a step behind, it is that we don't act... we tolerate mediocre for far too long!
You might be right there.

Does Zidane have a style or he also relies on individual brilliance? I really don’t want to spend a few more years trying to figure out our style.

Zidane might also be off to PSG

dinostar77

He plays 3-4-3 no? How would you line our team up with that formation?
Conte is flexible on his formations using the players he has available. With his ability we could easily transition between 433, 343 depending on whether we had the ball or not.

We have the squad to win a major trophy, just not a manager who can deliver it.

InfiniteBoredom

There’s also a novel idea here, I know, but you are not required to stuck by a manager, if he doesn’t deliver, then out he goes. You just have to pay him off, or work clauses in his contract.

This obsession with a ‘long term manager’ is verging on a disease now. Fergie was an anomaly, Wenger was an anomaly.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Just get a german manager. To bad Hansi Flick is unavailable

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Ten Haag
Potter
Hansi Flick(if we can do a miracle)
Tactically, all three would be light years ahead of Ole.
No chance Flick leaves the Germany NT.
I doubt our board even knows who Potter is, let alone Ten Haag.
I wanted Rodgers until a few months ago if Ole left, but not that much anymore. Have doubts about him despite the FA Cup win, but on the other hand he has paper thin squads so maybe that plays a part.

RepardReece

Conte is flexible on his formations using the players he has available. With his ability we could easily transition between 433, 343 depending on whether we had the ball or not.

don't disagree with that bottom comment. I just wondered if 3-4-3 was all he played cos i don't see a lineup with our squad that would suit that.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The problem isn't just the manager, it's the style of play (or lack of it). A decent proper coach would want to retool the squad into a shape to his liking and that will cost an awful lot. So the Glazers will stick with Ole unless he misses top 4. And then they will not replace him with an elite hungry coach because those people know they will fail and trash their reputations if they come here. That's the reality.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He plays 3-4-3 no? How would you line our team up with that formation?
He plays a 3 2 3 2 or 3 5 2 so its Maguire Varane and Lindelof at CB, Shaw and AWB/ Dalot at FB. Pogba Bruno and Mctominay in a 3 and Ronaldo and Rashfors up top, rotate Greenwood Sancho and Cavani. We can play Shae at LCB or AWB at RCB and have so many options. Conte is a tactician and would love this squad, it has the perfect balance for him.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

He played a lot of 4-2-4 at Juventus and they were excellent to watch. He started with that at Chelsea before moving to 3-4-3 and winning the league. He’s an excellent coach and would lift this squad up. Hazard rated him really highly for his attacking coaching too. It’s not true that he’s a defensive manager. His teams are good defensively, though. I also think you need someone ruthless, someone who will push things. Ole seems to think that keeping people “happy” is his only job. Zidane would be ok but it’s time United got a proper training ground coach in.

Varane around town

I think there's a 0% chance of Ole being sacked before the season is out unless things to catastrophically wrong- I.e. us struggling to get into the Top 4.

For what it's worth, I've like the look of Ten Haag at Ajax.

Status
Not open for further replies.