Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Bosz hasnt won anything either though and is more kamikaze and naive compared to Ten Hag.

But would have us playing infinitely better football than Ole, in 3 weeks and not 3 years.

Only Ole makes fans believe that it takes so long to implement a brand of football.

Some even belief that there are no such things as brands of football or we can't see it or we're just being hipsters!
At the end we need someone who wins now. LvG implemented a brand of football after all.
The key at United is not the implementation of a brand of football, but of a winning brand of football.
Arsene Wenger played the best football in the league but was still a laughing stock when United and Chelsea kept winning everything.

DeGea

We need a manager who can implement a system. That is usually (not always) a German, Dutch or an Italian. This is due to their footballing heritage and intelligence.

Cloud7

At one point my answer to this question would have been Poch, but I have my doubts now. Zidane or Ten Haag would be my picks.

georgieboiii

Seeing as Pep is leaving next season surely it's worth approaching him?
Funniest thing I've read in forever. Yes we should move on from Ole, but Pep will never go to a rival. It's nice to dream though what he would be able to do with this team, if only we went for him when he was available...

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
At the end we need someone who wins now. LvG implemented a brand of football after all.
The key at United is not the implementation of a brand of football, but of a winning brand of football.
Arsene Wenger played the best football in the league but was still a laughing stock when United and Chelsea kept winning everything.
Also agreed.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Inter played much better football under Conte than United under Ole for what it's worth.

bonothom

From Brighton to manager of the biggest club in the world. Basically just cos he's kept Brighton in tbe Premier League. Really? And were going to ignore a serial winner that's sat twiddling his thumbs. How many titles has Conte won? This is a stupid conversation to have anyway cos Ole has just signed a 3 year deal. The only way he gets the sack is if we look like not making the top 4 and I expect United to be comfortably top 4. But that isn't good enough for a squad that he has.

marktan

I like potter but feel the job could be too big for him. People sometimes don't understand the pressure one has while managing a club like United. Couple of losses here and there and you will have people call him a "championship manager who is out of depth". I feel we need a trophy or two. I won't mind Zidane. Tuchel would have been my ideal choice but he is gone. Conte is a risk. We may min a trophy but feel he may need players to suit his style.
You're right but how will we know unless we give him a try? Outside of Klopp, Pep and probably now Tuchel everyone else is a risk. Conte has won recently true but he invites a shitshow everywhere he goes and his football isnt often the best.

The fact Potter rejected the Spurs job as he either wants to take Brighton further or wait for a better job also shows he has ambition. I think we should stop ranking managers based on name but actually break it down to things like how their teams play, how good are they at signing players, man management, in game tactics etc. For me Potter scores quite highly in most of those.

The thing is...does Zidane need to build this squad from scratch? Hasn't Ole pretty much laid the foundation already? Now only CDM, a stellar ST (Haaland) and we are set.
The squad he had at real is worlds apart from what we have now. Moreover we don't really know if Zidane has a style of play or is a great tactician, that team he had would've won regardless who was there. His last season at Real was nothing special, imo it'll be an Ole like situation all over again. People get seduced by the 3 CLs but you're not getting a prime Ronaldo, Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Marcelo, Ramos, Benzema, Carvajal, Bale with Zidane. Every single one of those is better than what we have in their equivalent positions. Our only comparable players are Varane (with himself) and De Gea with Navas.

Micky Targaryen

Let’s put it this way, the big 4 club managers are Pep, Tuchel, Klopp and ….. Ole.

Can you really say Ole belongs in the same class as the other 3 managers?

Ole needs to go. As much as some of you are reluctant to admit.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He shouldn't keep his job.

At the same time if and when we replace him things won't get any better.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Let’s put it this way, the big 4 club managers are Pep, Tuchel, Klopp and ….. Ole.

Can you really say Ole belongs in the same class as the other 3 managers?

Ole needs to go. As much as some of you are reluctant to admit.
Would any of the other top 12 teams money wise in Europe be after Ole if he was sacked. None of them would.

The Hilton

This is part of what seperated United from other big clubs. They don't think managers have earned anything, let alone an almost full season to see how he does. Especially when he's been with the club for over two years by then. They are able to identify from his work whether he's good enough or right for the job, period. And if he's not, he's out. They won't decide in September to wait until the end fo the season.

United's board don't have the people who will see that and I doubt whether the football people we have to the club, including the DOF, have the power to go to the board and tell them they need to replace the manager.
Not the right thread for this discussion, so let's leave it as disagreeing.

MrSingh2002

Funniest thing I've read in forever. Yes we should move on from Ole, but Pep will never go to a rival. It's nice to dream though what he would be able to do with this team, if only we went for him when he was available...
If you don't ask you don't get.

Problem when we tried to replace Fergie was we didn't ask the top managers early enough.

Jose, Pep, Klopp or Ancelloti at that time and the past 7 years could have been very different.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has only just signed a 3 year deal, but the pressure is ramping up.

That's 2 home defeats in half a week, losing to Young Boys, scraping a win at West Ham, and being lucky to scrape a draw with Southampton.

More than a little worrying with the squad we have.

Al-T

Said with the grandiose and misplaced authority of somebody who evidently doesn’t watch Brighton nor follow Potter’s system closely.

Potter is levels above Solskjaer as a football coach. The likes of him and Rodgers encourage positive football and eke every last ounce of talent out of their players, something our management and coaching setup has failed - and continues to fail - at.
This.

Potter is a far superior coach, demonstrably capable of integrating players quickly into his system. Last week, Marc Cucerella made his home debut, was motm, and looked entirely comfortable, in synch with his team mates and up to speed with what was required of him.

What Potter benefits from is having Dan Ashworth as Technical Director and their recruitment is focused on procuring players who will meld with Potter's style of play.

MasterCode

This is where you find out, if being a Manchester United fan is, in you or just on you. These difficult periods when morale is low define the term "support".

Probably get downed for this but IDC. Being a red is "in me" first game was West Ham vs United away 01/02 (They recently put it up on their YouTube channel) My neighbour supported West Ham took me and I sat with the home crowd but as a 11 year old I didn't care. Been a fan since 92. Seen some great days and some horrible days.

I believe in this Manchester United.

OLE IN, red till the end.

gajender

When Wenger was able to compete financially and wasn't hamstrung with crippling new Stadium debt he was able to compete with United and also win , granted his legacy was tarnished due to his latter years relative failures but at his peak he was able to deliver titles along with good football.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This is where you find out, if being a Manchester United fan is, in you or just on you. These difficult periods when morale is low define the term "support".

Probably get downed for this but IDC. Being a red is "in me" first game was West Ham vs United away 01/02 (They recently put it up on their YouTube channel) My neighbour supported West Ham took me and I sat with the home crowd but as a 11 year old I didn't care. Been a fan since 92. Seen some great days and some horrible days.

You first game was in 01/02 as an 11 year old. And you've been a fan since 92. Big maths

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d like us to go for someone like ten Haag, that Leipzig manager or even bielsa, them 3 would definitely make us play attractive football.

hobbers

That's being an Ole fan not a Manchester United fan.

Redordead!

1 point off top of the league and we want a new manager? Some you lads are just taking the piss…. Have a bit of faith, a bit of patience ….

Micky Targaryen

We support the club by wanting the best for the club. Not by supporting the manager no matter how shit he is. By your definition, we should’ve seen out Moyes’s contract and maybe an extension too.

Green Yellow Red

Never in my life have I seen such an overreaction to a defeat. Ole has done a good job. Most of his buys have improved the team and there seems to be a good atmosphere at the club after historic gloom. He's been working miracles for the last two years with an average squad of players. The club is in the best position its been since Sir Alex retired. It doesn’t make sense talking about replacing him after 6 games into the season. At least wait until the end of the season to judge him.

Reactions: Sultan

Green Yellow Red

We support the club by wanting the best for the club. Not by supporting the manager no matter how shit he is. By your definition, we should’ve seen out Moyes’s contract and maybe an extension too.
Ole has had 2 full seasons at the Club finishing 3rd then 2nd. Pep didnt win the League in his first season with a team full of stars, Klopp won nothing for 3 whole season, Poch won nothing at Spurs, Arsenal? Well, only Chelsea fans have the right to rejoice with Tuchel winning the CL but even that wasnt his own doing, half the job was done by Lampard. Sir Alex was at United for 5 years and only won 1 fa Cup in that time, and after that, well the rest is history. No matter what people say there is a positive progress under Ole. We have tried the best ones but all have ended up badly. Having said that a trophy is a must this season.

MasterCode

That's being an Ole fan not a Manchester United fan.
Why do you say that

I apologize to all United fans aged 3 and below.
As a former 3 year old supporter I accept the apology on their behalf

If you think Ole's United, equals Moyes United then yeah your brain needs checking.

Context is lacking from the modern fan, I actually think we have the second worst fanbase in the PL after Arsenal. It's become terrible.

Jericholyte2

There is also, however, a difference between being a supporter of Manchester United and being a supporter of the manager.

I want Ole to win and be a success, I would love nothing more than that! But the evidence of my eyes and my ears tells me that he won't be. Does that make me less of a fan of the club?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There is also, however, a difference between being a supporter of Manchester United and being a supporter of the manager.

I want Ole to win and be a success, I would love nothing more than that! But the evidence of my eyes and my ears tells me that he won't be. Does that make me less of a fan of the club?
Same with me. Ole is a legend after the Nou Camp. But from what i have seen i dont think we will win anything major.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Well that’s all great so congratulations. It’s nothing to do with Solskjaer’s ability as a manager though.

The team looked bereft of ideas today. The frustration in the ground was very similar to the struggles we had under Mourinho.. I think it could quite quickly get worse too.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ok, a new manager coming in will have to cope with massive expectations. Do they have big enough balls to cope with CR7, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, all winners in their own right. This tends to suggest that managers like Conte and Zidane would be required, but I'm not so sure they would be a good fit.
I feel that a new manager will initially be given respect by all the players, but obviously what they do on the training pitch will determine whether they get the backing of these players.
I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with Graham Potter, or perhaps Thomas Frank, both have decent pedigrees, and their club sides play good football, and seem organised. Potter has thrown a lot of young players into the mix, and is a little unconventional, sometimes changing formations during matches, so he is quite reactionary, something that Ole sometimes struggles with. Potter is also likely to give some of our very promising academy graduates a chance, where Ole I believe, seems a little conservative in his actions.
I think Ole has done a great job so far, clearing out many players, and bringing in some talent, and our academy is the strongest it's been for many a year, but it does appear that in some matches the coaching staff struggle to find the answers.
Ole can leave with his head held high, but I really think his race has almost been run, albeit I have supported him from day one, I can't see him being here at the end of this season.

lex talionis

Horror results over the last two weeks, without question, and questions about Ole’s ability to deliver a trophy are in order. But today is not the day to speculate about who should succeed Ole.

Mwooyo

The most frustrating thing is reading stuff from manutd fans in denial. Ole is exactly like the smalling/jones partnership meant to replace vidic and ferdinand. After the 2nd season, it became obvious they were never going to make it. A few seasons after they became actual liabilities to the team. Same thing is happening to us with ole. Ole has never been the one. He aint gonna make it. We are in the liability phase of this story. What is crazy, is the fact that there are united fans who keep saying there is no one better out there. Thats a total lie.
Those united fans want to wait for a manager to go win the champions league while playing amazing football before united go for him. That will never happen. Such a manager would rather go to barca rather than united. Meanwhile expectations for ole remain so low...build a team...get top four. If you want a winning manager who plays dope football why dont we ask the same from ole. In my opinion, we need to run our club like bayern. Bayern have given nagelsmann a chance because he plays good football. Forget about trophies. Get a manager who plays good football, is great tactically and then back him. Trophies will happen as a by product.

Rajma

Horror results over the last two weeks, without question, and questions about Ole’s ability to deliver a trophy are in order. But today is not the day to speculate about who should succeed Ole.
This is such a backwards thinking, I truly hope our board is already making out initial contacts with prospective candidates and not waiting to be caught off guard again once it goes south (which normally happens very quickly). The signs are there for everyone to see now, even for the most blind supporters of his.

georgieboiii

Ok, a new manager coming in will have to cope with massive expectations. Do they have big enough balls to cope with CR7, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, all winners in their own right.
Isn't that the point of managing a team like Manchester United? The expectations will always be huge, that's the point of managing this team, but also the rewards are absolutely amazing when you do win it. For some reason Ole seems to avoid all these expectation due to a lack of a midfielder, or a lack of a forward, or a lack a right winger, or the lack of a partner to Maguire, etc etc etc.

Fergie won titles with Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson and Gibson as midfielders. Yet Ole seems to need players worth 100 millions pounds in every position to get out of the group stage in CL.

Our squad is fantastic, we need someone to coach it accordingly.

Reactions: Sultan

hobbers

Never in my life have I seen such an overreaction to a defeat. Ole has done a good job. Most of his buys have improved the team and there seems to be a good atmosphere at the club after historic gloom. He's been working miracles for the last two years with an average squad of players. The club is in the best position its been since Sir Alex retired. It doesn’t make sense talking about replacing him after 6 games into the season. At least wait until the end of the season to judge him.
It's not an overreaction to ONE defeat is it? No. It's a normal and reasonable reaction to a really poor start to the season in terms of performances and 3 defeats in 3 different competitions.

As for "working miracles", well.... last time we heard that old cliche was Mourinho after he finished second. We know how that turned out.

And, unlike Mourinho, who won trophies and finished his final season on 81 points. Ole has won nothing in 3 years, spent £380m, and maxed out in the league at 74 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.