Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakuza_devils

It was repeated a million times. Ten Hag won't come mid season.

Hence, we are left with Zidane being the most realistic and suitable candidate.

We can't waste this season with a caretaker manager.

We have Ole in charge and why we doubt Zidane credentials? It's madness.

lilcurt

I think the issue with Zidane is the club want someone they can hope is long term. Zidane even at Madrid where he is a legend has now left twice after a few years.

He also hasn't worked in a structure like out club prior, at Madrid he very much just has to setup a team to play and win trophies, at United the manager is expected to do work behind the scenes too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought Rose was a flavour of the month a while back. Is he not doing well now?
His Dortmund is one point off Bayern in the German BuLi. He's doing fine, but is now at a club where he needs prove himself and there's gonna be challenges ahead for him with injuries to key men like Haaland.

Yakuza_devils

I think the issue with Zidane is the club want someone they can hope is long term. Zidane even at Madrid where he is a legend has now left twice after a few years.

He also hasn't worked in a structure like out club prior, at Madrid he very much just has to setup a team to play and win trophies, at United the manager is expected to do work behind the scenes too.
This will be the same problem with Ten Hag. Ajax's effective football structure is there for decades already. The manager is less involved.

Why we need long term manager while every other big club operate differently? We will never get another SAF. And Liverpool just hit a jackpot with Klopp.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
No idea. Ten Hag sounds ideal, but who knows how suited he is to our squad or whether he can hack it with us. Conte probably guarantees the highest base level of performance, but would he win something with us within his limited shelf life before he inevitably falls out with the hierarchy? Zidane sounds like the most adaptable, but I’d like to have a system-oriented head coach who can get us to dominate the majority of our games. Poch’s star has faded after his end at Spurs and performance so far at PSG (but then even Tuchel seemed to struggle somewhat there). And I don’t think his football is as great as famed. Rodgers always loses to Liverpool I think? And he has had consistent problems with his teams collapsing.

Conte sounds like the safest bet tbh, though that would mean another few seasons of playing a defensive counterattacking game against the likes of City and Liverpool, and probably no success in Europe.

Yakuza_devils

Not Conte for me. After 8 years of negative football, we really need to have an attacking coach. Enough is enough. Week in week out boring defensive football for the last 8 years.

Ten Hag won't come mid season, so Zidane is the one.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ideally ten Haag would be my first option so either go and get a caretake and talk to ten Haag about becoming manager at the end of the season… or why not give Mancini a go, his Italian team play beautiful football and know how to pass. Would he join us though after being at city? City fans will be mocking us also by saying you’ve got our ‘reject’ manager. Although conte is very tactical and knows how to organise teams I just don’t fancy watching counter attacking football anymore… I want front foot football, I want the 5-0s that city get most games. We need a tactical attacking manager who can bring world class coaches with him.

lilcurt

This will be the same problem with Ten Hag. Ajax's effective football structure is there for decades already. The manager is less involved.

Why we need long term manager while every other big club operate differently? We will never get another SAF. And Liverpool just hit a jackpot with Klopp.
I don't disagree with you. With Ten Hag being a lesser name than Zidane I would imagine the club would find him less intimidating to work this. There are a lot of people involved in the club all trying to justify their job, murtough, Fletcher for example. They don't want to bring in a name that will stir the pot.

I also think a long term appointment is a pipedream and if it happens will be down to luck rather than design but I feel the board want to hold on to tradition, as it's easier for them to live on past success than deliver it in the now.

AneRu

For a caretaker i don't know anyone specifically. But im sure there some out there, chelsea had avram grant who took them to fecking cl final.

Point being we can't do worse than were doing now, so its not a risk to get someone, anyone as a caretaker for 6 months.
The caretaker route is scary given the propensity of our board to jump the gun and ride the euphoric wave which landed us in this problem. Identifying a viable interim manager would be too difficult so they will take the easy way out and make Ole face the humiliation of the coming weeks until he breaks.

Micky Targaryen

Conte for me. Already proven himself in the PL and a no-nonsense serial winner who will not bow down to the players and the board. I'm not arsed that he's considered a "short term" manager, of which I think is a lazy narrative. I rather have a short term champion than long term mediocrity filled with vibes.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I am trying to think of someone who could defeat Klopp and Pep. The only person I can think of is Diego Simeone. I also think Utd's squad would suit him.

Gopher Brown

Take Conte. No brainer at this juncture.
Conte is not a ‘no brainer’ - we do not have the personnel to play 3-5-2. We have a squad stacked with wingers and wide forwards, but AWB is not a wing back, nor is Shaw really.

Plus, he’s too abrasive for our board.

Tiber

None of the options inspire great confidence. I'd happily take Poch but why would be leave PSG

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I am trying to think of someone who could defeat Klopp and Pep. The only person I can think of is Diego Simeone. I also think Utd's squad would suit him.
Would love Simeone here! Could you just imagine him on the touchline yesterday!

But sadly it will never happen

RoyH1

Don't rule out a complete out of left field signing that will have us all shaking our heads.

I don't think Ten Hag will leave Ajax midseason. At the end of the season yes, but not while he's on track to winning the Eredivisie and has Ajax playing well and top of their group in the CL.
Zidane will not come here to be just a caretaker manager. He'll want a long term contract and some power over signings. Same with Conte who is way too abrasive for the boards taste.

NickSantigo

Why do folks think Erik ten Hag won't leave mid season?
Did he say something to that affect in an interview?

We are Manchester United at the end of the day. If he has any ambitions to see if he can go up a level, this would be it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why do folks think Erik ten Hag won't leave mid season?
Did he say something to that affect in an interview?

We are Manchester United at the end of the day. If he has any ambitions to see if he can go up a level, this would be it.
I think he could leave mid-season but it depends on Ajax's run in the Champions League.

I've also just heard Samuel Luckhurst on Radio 4, and he seems to be insinuating that the United hierarchy won't be going for Conte or Zidane. And he also says that the United players are not happy with the direction of the team.

pascell

Would anyone else take Wenger on a short term basis, if we can't get our no.1 choice, whoever that is?

If we sack Ole and don't have the next manager lined up, who's going to take charge as caretaker?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Would anyone else take Wenger on a short term basis, if we can't get our no.1 choice, whoever that is?

If we sack Ole and don't have the next manager lined up, who's going to take charge as caretaker?
I'd take anyone half decent at this point as caretaker. Long term it has to be between Ten Hag, Zidane and Conte

pascell

I'd take anyone half decent at this point as caretaker. Long term it has to be between Ten Hag, Zidane and Conte
I do think we'll end up going for someone like Ten Hag, maybe Potter at a push, if we can't get them out of their respected clubs now then we're going to have to be looking at caretaker options.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I do think we'll end up going for someone like Ten Hag, maybe Potter at a push, if we can't get them out of their respected clubs now then we're going to have to be looking at caretaker options.
I'll take Roy Keane caretaker manager with an agreement that Ten Hag or Potter join us after the season ends.

At least I know his standards for a united team and mine are more in tune than with Ole.

pascell

I'll take Roy Keane caretaker manager with an agreement that Ten Hag or Potter join us after the season ends.

At least I know his standards for a united team and mine are more in tune than with Ole.
The players certainly wouldn't get away with that performance yesterday with Keane as manager, that's for sure.

Keane wouldn't be a bad shout, at least some of our players would get a hard dose of reality, instead of getting pats on the back and hi 5s from the current manager.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd be amazed if Ten Hag is on the short list, assuming that there even is a short list.

In my opinion, the board would only consider managers that we have already been extensively linked with, or managers that would seem a safe and obvious big name choice.
Zidane & Conte would both be possiblites, falling into the obvious big name choice category.
Otherwise I think we'd be looking at Pochettino as first choice, with perhaps Southgate or Rodgers as alternatives.

But I very much doubt that we'd be looking further afield than these few.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I would rather waste the season to get the right fit for the club than give a three year contract to the wrong man.
If we have to wait till June for Ten Hag, so be it. Get whatever caretaker you want.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'd be amazed if Ten Hag is on the short list, assuming that there even is a short list.

In my opinion, the board would only consider managers that we have already been extensively linked with, or managers that would seem a safe and obvious big name choice.
Zidane & Conte would both be possiblites, falling into the obvious big name choice category.
Otherwise I think we'd be looking at Pochettino as first choice, with perhaps Southgate or Rodgers as alternatives.

But I very much doubt that we'd be looking further afield than these few.
Sadly I'm tempted to agree with you. We would just have to hope the dart lands on Conte or Zidane and they are able to be successful here.

Enigma_87

You know who
I thought Rose was a flavour of the month a while back. Is he not doing well now?
I’m not that convinced of Rose just yet. Needs probably to finish the season with Dortmund to show where he’s currently at.
There are many options out there and he’s certainly one of them but to me a bit less pro end than other available now or at the end if the season.

having by said that he’s miles better than Ole ever been and ever will be.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stealing these from a thread on twitter, the caveat to keep in mind being the different quality of players managers have and the leagues they play in.

The takeaways (as per the twitter thread):

-Potter is working with a level of player that makes it hard to judge him for a top job. He needs an intermediate step.
-Ten Hag is dominating in Holland and has a notable CL record. Will it translate?
-Conte's quite adaptable as a manager. His Inter side showing more attacking intent and his Chelsea side more defensive solidity.
-Zidane's teams are vaguely like Ole's in terms of attacking output but with more possession to control matches and way more defensively solid.
-Rodgers and Pochettino are harder to judge.
The numbers offensively are like United but defensively are worse. The question is how much having a better team would impact that.
Seems broadly fair to me.

femto

There does seem to be lots of talk in the papers of Pep and Klopp leaving within the next couple of years, this can all change of course, but makes this appointment feel like an important juncture for the club. Being proactive just now and getting the right candidate in would put us in an excellent place to take advantage of any downturns as these teams reach the end of their cycle. If we wait however then we'll likely be in competition with at least one of these clubs and if we're looking at someone like ten Hag, then I'm not sure we're a more attractive proposition currently, sadly.

Would be content with a caretaker being appointed rather than rushing to get the wrong person. If we go down that route then we should make clear it's an appointment until the summer and there won't be any news until then to try and head off the inevitable clamour for them getting the job permanently if they start well. Perhaps an international manager would take it until the summer, seeing as the world cup isn't until Christmas. Spain, for example, barely have any meaningful games between now and the end of the season.

GioF

I’d buy out Mancini’s contract and pay off whoever we needed to. He would bring the style, flair and is a winner. I’d much prefer him to conte.

BorisManUtd

I'm still Pochettino's fan but he's obviously not available atm. Not sure if our board would risk with Conte, they probably see him as Mourinhoesque manager (though he is better than Mourinho these days) and not sure if they would go with Ten Hag and if he would come before season ends. Zidane is free, has a relationship with Ronaldo and Varane from Real, there is a French link with Pogba and Martial and the board may see him as ideal manager for a group of players we've got, it's a group of quality individuals that's got to be transformed in a well funkcioning team.

Terminator

Luis Enrique or Mancini would be ideal. Too bad they are already in great international jobs for their country.

Kaos

My dream scenario would be Larry White on an interim basis until the end of the season and hopefully Ten Hag in the summer.

RuudTom83

The manager is the most important position at the club, if United do want a new manager then it should be assessed over the next few months and the right candidate should be in place for next season.

You don't just sack a manager and grab whoever you can find that's out of a job...kneejerk reaction to a long term problem.

The current decline is somewhat out of the blue after finishing 2nd and getting to the EL final. Be patient, I know its frustrating, but repeating the cycle is only adding to the frustration. If United had 3 managers they would still find it hard to finish above City and Liverpool at the present time. But those teams will decline, Pep will leave, Salah will not maintain this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.