Next Manchester United captain

Who do you want to be the next Manchester United captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkydaz

Pogba would be the obvious choice considering his France team talks during world cup. He should be atleast vice captain.
Issue is if he wants to leave us still next year.
Why wasnt he giving those teamtalks last season as united captain? Instead he was apologising for not being focused

Dr. StrangeHate

Why wasnt he giving those teamtalks last season as united captain? Instead he was apologising for not being focused
Before Ole it was obvious why he wasn't. After that is a good point. Atleast when things were rosy he should have. I still would say only he has the gravitas to take on that role in our current team. Otherwise keep young at it until Rashford or Maguire (if we sign him) are ready to take over.

Denis79

Don't understand how so many want Pogba as captain after all that has been said by him and his agent this summer.

poleglass red

De Gea will probably get it. That's exactly what we need is a non vocal keeper who doesn't come off his line to lead us.

starman

From the senior members in the squad theres no stand out candidate, but I prefer him over Pogba.

From the young players in the squad Mctominay is the stand out member

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't understand how so many want Pogba as captain after all that has been said by him and his agent this summer.
I think it's mainly in a way to make Pogba feel important and not want to leave.

Let's be honest none of our players are stand out captains right now.

Kag

There isn’t a single stand out option. Which is damning, really.

Ideally, you’d want to build everything around a fully committed Paul Pogba, but we’re merely a stepping stone to Spain and the ongoing/upcoming transfer sagas are nothing if not predictable. We’d be creating a rod for our own back.

That said, I’d take anybody if it meant not having to watch Young piss all over the armband every week.

Irwin99

If De Gea gets it I want to see a bit more bravery from him when challenging for the ball. If he's that scared of getting clobbered I'm sure Petr Cech could lend him his special skull cap now he has no more use for it.

Denis79

I think it's mainly in a way to make Pogba feel important and not want to leave.

Let's be honest none of our players are stand out captains right now.
Agree we don't have leaders in the squad but we aren't a small club that has to bend over for any player, for any reason. He was adamant about leaving this summer, even got his agent to confirm it, only reason he's here is because no club was willing to pay our asking price. And we want him to be captain? Nah..

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
On this tour we have seen Young and Mata wearing the armband. My concern is that neither of these two should be starting. So who is going to wear the armband opening day vs Chelsea? I don't like a keeper as captain as your captain needs to be a voice to the ref. So who does that leave? Pogba? Not sure I like the idea of that but it just may be what he needs. McTominay is starting to stand out as an option too after hearing him in the prematch interview as well as seeing him step up to protect James today. He should also be a starter now ahead of Matic but only time will tell...

diarm

McTominay looks the closest thing to captain material in the squad and he's five years from having the experience you'd want in a Manchester United captain.

The fact that we have such a large squad completely and utterly devoid of any leaders is damning.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
McTominay looks the closest thing to captain material in the squad and he's five years from having the experience you'd want in a Manchester United captain.

The fact that we have such a large squad completely and utterly devoid of any leaders is damning.
De Ligt was captain of Ajax as a teenager. Assuming McTominay is a starter this year, he would be my choice for now...

diarm

De Ligt was captain of Ajax as a teenager. Assuming McTominay is a starter this year, he would be my choice for now...
While I don't think it's good enough for a club like United to be relying on a 22 year old for the armband, I'd agree with you. He's the best option in the current squad and it would set an example for some of his more esteemed colleagues of the sort of character we expect at this club.

3KDré

Young is our captain and I have a sneaky feeling he will be starting left back first game of the season.

Web of Bissaka

Safest but lazy short term choices - Young, Mata, Matic
Best but kinda "pointless" (problematic situations) - De Gea and Pogba
Good, brave and bold long term choices - McTominay and Lindelof

Web of Bissaka

:nervous: I don't get this argument that keeper is a bad captain choice.
Why? Because he's so far away from the action at the back?

Especially the keepers who are not vocal, too quiet. Why is it so bad?

I mean a captain doesn't need only voice to rally and inspire his team.
Being professional, good reputations and giving consistent top performances already demanded respects by teammates and inspire them.

And surely there are many examples where the team won the big competitions with the keeper being their captain.
Hugo Lloris for France is the recent example, won the WC.

---

If there's better candidate, then by all means.

Once De Gea signed new contract, I'll give him the armband.
If not, no way. Then, Mata be the official captain but barely playing.
Lindelof as the on pitch captain, and McTominay the on pitch vice.
Reasons? Both Lindelof and McTominay need to do more. Their reputation definitely are growing, but just based from last season, not enough for me.
If Pogba suddenly change his heart (who knows) to stay longer, then one season is enough to rebuild his reputation back to maybe get the armband or just a vice next season in 2020/21.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

I'm all for making Dave captain. He's committed his future to United so we know he isn't going anywhere anytime soon and he's without a doubt been our best player since Fergie retired. Much better option than Ashley Young.
Completely disagree. Firstly a goal keeper is not in a position to influence the rest of the team.
And secondly. De Gea has committed his future because of a massive pay increase.
Not saying he is not a top keeper but a captain; not for me.

TRUERED89

If it's not Lindelöf, then De Gea (JUST). BUT! All De Gea can do is lead by example, as he's not vocal at all and is clueless when it comes to crosses (see him flapping against Spurs when it was so easy just to catch it), coming off his line and just generally commanding his box/back line. Pogba? Been too disrespectful, doesn't deserve it.

Bojan11

Maguire seems like a leader type. Maybe too early but we don’t really have many leaders in our team.

m1tch

I'd go with Lindelof, it's a bit soon to add that sort of pressure to a young lad just breaking into the team like McTominay, or a new big money signing like Maguire.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd go with Lindelof, it's a bit soon to add that sort of pressure to a young lad just breaking into the team like McTominay, or a new big money signing like Maguire.
I'd say the same with Lindelof. It's too soon. He had just over a half a season of decent football. Before that he was seriously lacking confidence. De Gea seems to me the only possible choice. Not ideal, but the only plausible decision IMV.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Within a couple of years I think it will be Maguire.

manuchamp88

It's pointless mentioning youngsters cos they simply won't command the respect of the older players. It can't be Young as that means he would have to play even though he is vocal. Smalling and Jones, same reasoning - vocal and experienced but crap players. Mata won't be on the pitch enough especially if we get Dybala and Fernandes. Matic - not vocal enough, shouldn't be playing regularly. Lingard - not a natural leader at all. It simply has to be Pogba whether you or I agree with it. He has the experience, commands respect from his teammates and is more vocal than De Gea. I don't really see the point of a GK as captain anyway.

Mr Smith

I'd give it to Young as he won't play much this season (same as what they did with Carrick 2 years ago), and then we can rotate the armband around on the pitch and see if a contender emerges. I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to De Gea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.