Next Manchester United captain

Who do you want to be the next Manchester United captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

I'm all for making Dave captain. He's committed his future to United so we know he isn't going anywhere anytime soon and he's without a doubt been our best player since Fergie retired. Much better option than Ashley Young.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

I'm all for making Dave captain. He's committed his future to United so we know he isn't going anywhere anytime soon and he's without a doubt been our best player since Fergie retired. Much better option than Ashley Young.
He's not even that good at commanding his own area - he shouldn't be captain.

It should be a DM with leadership qualities - like Herrera, but he left.

I'd rather give it to Pogba than de Gea.

Eleven-Eighteen

He's flirted with Spanish clubs way too many times in the past few years. Historically, no Man United player who has implicitly expressed desire to leave has been made captain.

But times have changed. And unfortunately we have no other guaranteed first XI starter that's more committed to the team, and one that's got a bigger legacy at this club than De Gea.

I think it should be him.

Pogba - too close to having left this season. Plus, he just has too many games where the fire is missing.
Mata - doesn't play often enough.
Matic - won't play often enough (hopefully). Not been at the club very long.
Young - hope he plays only in the Caribou. So no.
Jones, Smalling - all about to be temp players/ not comfortable in their own positions to actually try and lead the club.
Attacking lineup - all wide-eyed youngsters.

De Gea is the only viable option right now.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I’d give it to Pogba/De Gea. We don’t have leaders but they are both our best players. We need our best players to be captain so they set the standard for the rest of the lads.

Guapa

Amazed I’m saying this but ...Lindelöf?

Smores

I can't think of anything worse than giving it to Pogba, whether right or wrong he's not only been unproffesional but publicly expressed his desire to leave. We should have more self-respect.

De Gea might have wanted to leave but at least he's been professional about it all. There's no one else in our team that can provide the stability De Gea can and really he's earned it with his performances.

TheLittleOne

I'd prefer Lindelöf as a captain but I'm fine with that. Especially if it helps him feel appreciated and it helps him being confident. But I don't really see him as a leader and I'm surprised he asked for that role. In general I like keepers as captains.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we sign Maguire, he'd probably be a better bet as Captain than anyone we currently have.

AUnitedOpinion

He's flirted with Spanish clubs way too many times in the past few years. Historically, no Man United player who has implicitly expressed desire to leave has been made captain.

But times have changed. And unfortunately we have no other guaranteed first XI starter that's more committed to the team, and one that's got a bigger legacy at this club than De Gea.

I think it should be him.

Pogba - too close to having left this season. Plus, he just has too many games where the fire is missing.
Mata - doesn't play often enough.
Matic - won't play often enough (hopefully). Not been at the club very long.
Young - hope he plays only in the Caribou. So no.
Jones, Smalling - all about to be temp players/ not comfortable in their own positions to actually try and lead the club.
Attacking lineup - all wide-eyed youngsters.

De Gea is the only viable option right now.
Wasn't Rooney made club captain?
Although he was a much better leader than De Gea.

Unfortunately there are not many people i trust in our starting XI. It will have to be either De Gea or Pogba as they are set to get more game time than any of the others mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLittleOne

If we sign Maguire, he'd probably be a better bet as Captain than anyone we currently have.
I agree but somehow I don't like the idea of a guy just joining and immediately becoming captain. If David really wants it we should give it a try as he has earned it.

Canagel

DDG would be a terrible choice. He refuses to command his area with authority and doesnt communicate with his defenders. He should be low down on the list of candidates.
We dont have captain material players because all the typical older captain players in our club are the worst in the quality and barely make our starting 11- it's very strange how we got ourselves in this situation.

Red_toad

Maguire when we sign him, we lack leaders and no one out of the current squad has shown they're up to it. Young was great with the fans on the recent tour, but doesn't really have leadership qualities. Maguire has the right character.

Bestietom

Would be hard to pick a captain from what we have here atm. Maybe if we bring in a top Midfielder who could do it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
De Gea cant even organise the defence in front of him, what makes him think he can captain the entire side?

Halal Jalal

DDG would be a terrible choice. He refuses to command his area with authority and doesnt communicate with his defenders. He should be low down on the list of candidates.
We dont have captain material players because all the typical older captain players in our club are the worst in the quality and barely make our starting 11- it's very strange how we got ourselves in this situation.
This and this. De Gea shouldn't even be considered - he's far too timid and introverted even for a regular goalkeeper, let alone a captain! PP is too lighthearted to be a perfect captain, but no one can deny he's a leader and our only world class player at the moment. He's the only option, under the circumstances.

It's a huge flaw in teambuilding to lack a leading veteran like we do... Someone like Sergio Ramos or Chiellini.

Eleven-Eighteen

This and this. De Gea shouldn't even be considered - he's far too timid and introverted even for a regular goalkeeper, let alone a captain! PP is too lighthearted to be a perfect captain, but no one can deny he's a leader and our only world class player at the moment. He's the only option, under the circumstances.

It's a huge flaw in teambuilding to lack a leading veteran like we do... Someone like Sergio Ramos or Chiellini.
You don't have to be aggressive and camera friendly to be a good captain.

De Gea is really the only first team *veteran* we have

Dr. StrangeHate

Pogba would be the obvious choice considering his France team talks during world cup. He should be atleast vice captain.
Issue is if he wants to leave us still next year.

red4ever 79

Would be hard to pick a captain from what we have here atm. Maybe if we bring in a top Midfielder who could do it.
Agree with you. Cant consider one of those captain material. At a push I would say Lindelof just because I am short of options. Whoever it is, it should be someone who starts majority of games. I dont want no more of this captain but not playing business like Valencia and Neville

Okey

Easy... Pogba if he stays. DDG and Young can be vice. At least we know Pogba and De Gea will start every game they're fit for. DDG doesn't strike one as captain material though to be honest.

Halal Jalal

You don't have to be aggressive and camera friendly to be a good captain.

De Gea is really the only first team *veteran* we have
You need to radiate confidence, authority and leadership though. I have no doubt that David is a model pro, but he utterly lacks those qualities. Nothing wrong with being introverted, every team should have those humble, shy, 100% disciplned hard-workers (Kante) to balance out the cocky egomaniacs (Zlatan). But Kante isn't captain material, and neither is DDG.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It will be Juan Mata as club captain and either DDG or Pogba as captain on the pitch. I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons Juan was given an extended contract, as the senior figures are being phased out.

diarm

Just spent 5 minutes trying to pick a captain from our squad. Fecking grim work.

The best option will be playing for PSG this year.

red4ever 79

It will be Juan Mata as club captain and either DDG or Pogba as captain on the pitch. I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons Juan was given an extended contract, as the senior figures are being phased out.
Which Senior figures are you referring to? Only Valencia that I would consider a senior pro has left. All of the others have been rewarded with contract extensions. Not having a go at you, just my frustration with the club.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Which Senior figures are you referring to? Only Valencia that I would consider a senior pro has left. All of the others have been rewarded with contract extensions. Not having a go at you, just my frustration with the club.
Young is only here for 1 more season and Smalling and Jones aren't particularly captain material in any sense to me. I believe one of them will be gone by next summer as well, it's clear they aren't seen as part of the future CB pairing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is one of the more logical choices given that a) he's nailed on to start and b) as the Telegraph article says, he will have the complete respect of the dressing room.

Being a shy, quiet character he isn't ever going to be a vocal on pitch presence, which many prefer in a captain. Still, he wouldn't be the first person to captain a team on the basis of his stature rather than his personality.

Though, really, the captaincy is largely irrelevant anyway. Natural leaders will be natural leaders regardless of whether they wear the armband or not.

redzombie

DDG is a fine keeper and been a great servant to the club, but it baffles me that he would even be considered as captain, Ive never seen any of the prerequisite qualities required from him to even suggest consideration of the role.

littlepeasoup

Yes yes, fair. Rooney is an exception. But Rooney by then was already a long-serving United player, and a successful one at that. And secondly, Rooney is not the example for player management that we want to follow.
Agree with you on the second point for sure, David Moyes' second biggest folly, kowtowing to placate Rooney when he probably should have just gotten rid.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
DDG is a fine keeper and been a great servant to the club, but it baffles me that he would even be considered as captain, Ive never seen any of the prerequisite qualities required from him to even suggest consideration of the role.
What prerequisite qualities? A lot of the time the captaincy is a ceremonial thing given to the longest serving player or even split among a few senior players. There's no rule that say it has to go to a vocal on pitch presence or it has to go to a certain type of personality. Even if Random Player X has more of the qualities you want than De Gea, giving the armband to De Gea won't remove those qualities from Random Player X.

In terms of actual leadership the identity of the person wearing the armband on the pitch is irrelevant. With or without it De Gea will still command whatever respect he commands, with or without it vocal on pitch players will still be vocal on pitch players and with or without DDG(c) we will still have whatever leadership in the side we currently have.

Eleven-Eighteen

You need to radiate confidence, authority and leadership though. I have no doubt that David is a model pro, but he utterly lacks those qualities. Nothing wrong with being introverted, every team should have those humble, shy, 100% disciplned hard-workers (Kante) to balance out the cocky egomaniacs (Zlatan). But Kante isn't captain material, and neither is DDG.
Sure, he may not be first choice for Captain. But he's the best we've got. And he's not all that bad.

What's your suggestion anyway

el3mel

He's one of our best players but he'll be really a terrible captain. I don't know what can anyone see in him to think he'll be the vocal leader of the team. He doesn't even lead his defense or shouts at them during the game but we expect him to lead the entire team during tough periods ?

Will be Valencia mk2 in terms of someone holding the armband while not doing anything with it.

Again that doesn't have anything with him being one of our best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.