Next Manchester United captain

Who do you want to be the next Manchester United captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Controversial choice - Mata

Cool head, experienced, professional, limited minutes actually playing.

Ekeke

Not as ridiculous as making a new signing club captain. As if there isn't enough pressure as it is.
Some people are suggesting a CB who has played 15 mostly good games for us should be captain. I dont think its any more ridiculous for an £80 million CB who the manager has talked about as having leadership being made captain. I think its just as crazy. And both are bad

Dangles

I'd prefer the captain to be based on personality rather than seniority. Over the years I think players such as Valencia and Giggs have been very ill-suited as captains as neither have the 'leadership' gene and were only given the arm-band seemingly based on how long they've had the same parking space at Carrington for as opposed to actually being someone who fits the role of captain.

To my mind the two most important factors are:

1) Does he have leadership qualities?
2) Will he play regularly?

People should get watches, a plaque and a slice of cake to celebrate their longevity at a work place. This shouldn't be the basis on which to give someone the captaincy of Manchester United though.

Reactions: 2cents

Varun

Staff
Keep Young as the official club captain. Given he would barely play, that gives us a year to actually find someone worthy and make him captain next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lindelof. Scott McTom as vice captain.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Has to be De Gea if we’re going by experience— which would seem we are.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It would be shocking if it’s anyone but DDG. He’s going to sign the contract and the captaincy will hold him true to his performances. And we all know when DDG performs it is awe inspiring and a huge influence on the moral of the team.

It’s just a bonus that he’s reached the maturity and seniority that he has in the club.

SirAF

Ageist
It would be shocking if it’s anyone but DDG. He’s going to sign the contract and the captaincy will hold him true to his performances. And we all know when DDG performs it is awe inspiring and a huge influence on the moral of the team.

It’s just a bonus that he’s reached the maturity and seniority that he has in the club.
This.

There’s no one else really.

Dolf

Right now: De Gea.
Potential captains in the future: Mctominay, Maguire, Lindelof

Red_toad

Maguire, genuine leadership qualities are obvious.
I don’t the clamour for Dave to get it, he doesn’t even command his own area.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Can’t give it Pogba until they’re certain he’s going to stay and that he’s not going to throw his toys out if he does stay

flappyjay

Smart move is to give it to young for this season then Maguire gets it permanently next year. When young is not on the field give it to David who will then serve as vice captain to Maguire next year

Cloud7

Think it’ll be Pogba this season, or De Gea. I can definitely see it being Maguire within a year or two though.

Enfant terrible

The current starting XI has no leaders. I would go for Lindelof for the short term, then give it to Maguire after (and if) he wins some battles. Don't like GK caps.

berbasloth4

i think young is going to keep it but wont play as much so expect mata and de gea as the vice captains.

Its great how many people are on the pitch with De gea and can hear him no commanding his backline. just cause he isnt red in the face like schmeichel. not his fault his defenders are clampits.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Personally my choice would be Lindelöf after what I saw of him at the tail end of last season and this pre-season. He's stepped up and become a leader by example.

In a romanticized world, Juan Mata would be captain. The perfect professional, always calm and collected, treats everyone with respect, someone for the youngsters to look up to by the way he conducts himself on and off. He embodies everything that you want in a Manchester United player.

In the real world, David De Gea will captain, and Ashley young will vice captain. DDG has been here for so long, he's commited himself the next 6 years and will retire a Man United legend.

I was hoping Paul Pogba would be captain, but his statements about wanting to leave earlier in the pre-season makes him a tough choice to sell for the manager. I don't doubt for a moment that he's professional and well respected within the team like his teammates have stated publicly, but there's a public opinion here as well, and that will certainly have an impact on the managers decision.

Revan

Assumptionman
De Gea is the only candidate IMO. Pogba could have been one, but he wanted to leave. Though if he signs a new contract, he could be a better choice.

captain666

Keep Young as the official club captain. Given he would barely play, that gives us a year to actually find someone worthy and make him captain next season.
I think this is what we should do, then just rotate the armband until Maguire takes it over next summer.
Looking back at some of our inspirational past captains it is hard to imagine De Gea as even 5th choice.

Denis79

Some people are suggesting a CB who has played 15 mostly good games for us should be captain. I dont think its any more ridiculous for an £80 million CB who the manager has talked about as having leadership being made captain. I think its just as crazy. And both are bad
Agree.

AlexUTD

Give it to a player that actually plays most of our games atleast. Giving it to Young that is a squad player gives the wrong signal. "You are shit, but i like your attitude! Here is your captains armband".

ottosec

Should be DDG or Pogba.

But it would probably be Young and Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.