Next Manchester United captain

Who do you want to be the next Manchester United captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugiwarared71

whats the issue with everyone here giving Pogba captain knowing he wants to leave sends the wrong message. not a single other outfield player deserves to wear the armband expect David he may not be commanding in the area but for sure he will inspire with his world class saves and he will grow into the role i love it long may he rain .

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ole has confirmed Young is captain when playing, so essentially Club Captain.

IrishRedDevil

Young gets it for a year, meaning we can reassess next year when his contract expires manning a clean cut. I get the logic.

Next year it’ll likely move to Maguire, if he has a steady first season. Lindelof and De Gea will also be considered.

Halal Jalal

Biggest club in the world... captained by a player who is only memorable because bird shat in his mouth. Why wasn't PP given the armband?

AJ10

Wasn't this known long time ago? Not sure why this is new news.

SirAF

Ageist
Maybe that wouldn't be the case if he was captain, and got a new contract too.
Nah, that would send the wrong signal for me. Sign him up on a new deal, but he can forget about the captaincy.

«Please don’t leave the club, here’s the armband and a billion!»

hobbers

Spineless decision from Ole, following on from the last few captain appointments.

Great, a club captain who barely plays. What an example he sets being not good enough to play but still turning up for training. Dressing room DJ, a leader in the shadows, such drivel.

Gopher Brown

Ashley must be a massive asset in the dressing room and on the training field because from his on-pitch exploits it’s inconceivable how he is captain, or even still at the club.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Spineless decision from Ole, following on from the last few captain appointments.

Great, a club captain who barely plays. What an example he sets being not good enough to play but still turning up for training. Dressing room DJ, a leader in the shadows, such drivel.
We haven't had a club captain that plays for probably over a decade now bar a couple seasons.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He did say WHEN HE PLAYS he will wear the armband. So I'm not too fussed about this. DDG will be wearing it for most games I'm sure.

Andersonson

Biggest club in the world... captained by a player who is only memorable because bird shat in his mouth. Why wasn't PP given the armband?
If you follow United, its quite clear why "PP" isnt a captain. And never will be for us. We aint a club who should get pressured into giving the armband to the best player when he aint a leader.

Young is clearly the right choice, and thats says it all about the rest to be fair. This squad lacks good characters

SirAnderson

To be honest, I think no one deserves it at the moment, and based on that, I can see why Ole has given it to Young, but it can be a Sub captain role, I like that Ole said, "when he is on the pitch, he will wear the armband" which I hope means he may not be on the pitch a lot.
Would like to know who is the Vice-Captain, cause he will essentially be the one to be the captain on the pitch and Young, the captain off the pitch.

starman

You guys are so over dramatic. Young is the club captain. Never disrespected the club, always gives 100% and is in fantastic condition for his age, so obviously lives and trains very well.

DDG or Pogba can be team captain, but neither are outstanding candidates and won't be surprised to see both leave next season.

Mctominay is the one in waiting for me.

pseudo_canadian

You guys are so over dramatic. Young is the club captain. Never disrespected the club, always gives 100% and is in fantastic condition for his age, so obviously lives and trains very well.

DDG or Pogba can be team captain, but neither are outstanding candidates and won't be surprised to see both leave next season.

Mctominay is the one in waiting for me.
I agree with this take, especially giving it to McTominay is due time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This squad is devoid of leaders. We've got 1-2 top talent players (ex DDG and Pogba) but they aren't leaders, and lets face it, one wants to leave while the other has yet to commit to a long term contract. So in some ways I can understand why Ole is acting the way he's acting. He's buying time with Young while hoping that Maguire, Mctominay and co would be old enough/has settled down to be given the armband.

wolvored

Give it to Maguire. He will play every game if fit. He has the whole pitch in front of him to see whats going on and genuinely wanted to come here once we were in for him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We just don't have enough leaders, simple as that. Compare this team to past one's, it's a joke. Young captain? Pogba and De Gea also are not ideal anymore, so there is no one left.

Ibi Dreams

Give it to Maguire. He will play every game if fit. He has the whole pitch in front of him to see whats going on and genuinely wanted to come here once we were in for him.
Giving it to him before he's even played a game would be very weird. Let him settle and show he's a good choice first. Our options really are incredibly limited though, De Gea would have been mine but Young obviously has experience and attitude on his side despite lacking quality.

cfkane

Young is an OK choice for club captain. He must be a positive influence in the dressing room and perhaps very good in training helping the youngsters. May make a good coach one day. Ole is United through and through, and don't believe he would make this appointment if he did not think it had benefits for the club. I can see DeGea as Vice captain, and we may see Mata be captain in games that neither of them feature in.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It should be De Gea
Disagree. I hate it when a keeper is captain. He can be a captain in the dressing room, but on the field you need someone who can talk to the refs. What's the point of having a keeper as a captain if something happens at the other end of the field...

hobbers

Maguire should be captain next season at least.

Don't see anyone else with a decent candidacy, if we assume keepers shouldn't really be captains.

wolvored

Giving it to him before he's even played a game would be very weird. Let him settle and show he's a good choice first. Our options really are incredibly limited though, De Gea would have been mine but Young obviously has experience and attitude on his side despite lacking quality.
I dont mean right this second, but after Young either 2nd part this season or the start of the next.

Dante

Average bang
According to Darren Fletcher, Ashley Young is the de facto leader in the dressing room. He's the one with all the experience, advice and communication skills, and he has the temperament of someone who never gives up (ie. the 'standards' that Rooney talked about before he left).

Is he a top class player? Obviously not. But we don't know enough about what goes on in the dressing room to be able to say whether or not he'd make a top class club captain.

Of all the things to get your knickers in a twist about, this should really be at the bottom of the list.

In terms of on the pitch leadership, Maguire seems like the most natural choice. We'll have to see him in the shirt first, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.