Next Newcastle manager

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He’s really in that much danger a few months after winning the euros?
Not going to the WC would be another massive letdown coming after three massive WC letdowns after 2006 victory, and he surely would not wish to carry on with a deeply damaged relationship/reputation. Worst case, his stock is still very high, he finds a well-pad job soon, Italy NT starts from scratch again still being Euro champs.

Cloud7

Not going to the WC would be another massive letdown coming after three massive WC letdowns after 2006 victory, and he surely would not wish to carry on with a deeply damaged relationship/reputation. Worst case, his stock is still very high, he finds a well-pad job soon, Italy NT starts from scratch again still being Euro champs.
That is true. Not qualifying for the world cup really is unacceptable for a team like Italy. Added to that Italy is one of those teams that world cup feels incomplete without. I guess I should have phrased my statement differently. I'm more shocked that the team that won the Euros a few months ago is one game away from potentially not making it to the world cup.

Grande

That is true. Not qualifying for the world cup really is unacceptable for a team like Italy. Added to that Italy is one of those teams that world cup feels incomplete without. I guess I should have phrased my statement differently. I'm more shocked that the team that won the Euros a few months ago is one game away from potentially not making it to the world cup.
History is full of reigning champions struggling in the following qualification. It’s a fairly normal reaction to success, and is seldom related to the quality of the coach or relationship with the players. Good managers and coaches find their way through it most times, but it is not unusual that a qualification is rendered unsalvageable with a bad start. Panicky associacions will sack the coach in those situations, more experienced ones will analyze the situation and take more measured steps.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why would he not go to Euros? He leads the group and has home game against Switzerland and away to Northern Ireland left. Even if he somehow loses to Switzerland which would probably be their first qualifying loss at home in like 50 years, he will still take them to the playoffs where they will be seeded against a weaker side.

They've won 4 and drawn 2 (away to Switzerland which isn't terrible and a poor draw at home vs Bulgaria). Him getting the sack because he drew a home game vs Bulgaria would be utterly ridiculous.

Sarni

But they aren't. It's overblown, they are one super unlikely loss at home away from having to play a playoffs game against a team like Poland/Scotland/Ukraine/Romania to qualify for the main tournament. They're not even remotely close to being eliminated. They've drawn one game they shouldn't have drawn and it's somehow made out as if they are struggling.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This might come back to bite me on the arse, but I don't think Gerrard would take it. I'm not convinced he'd want to leave Rangers, who are probably in a better position on the park right now than Newcastle, when he's still got a lot of unfinished business up here. Another title, a good CL campaign and in another 18 months time possibly, but it's the Liverpool job he'll hold out for.

In reality any manager taking on that Newcastle job inherits an uncompetitive squad, will have to bed in a lot of signings, and is likely to be a placeholder until the club is credible enough to grab a top tier manager. It almost better suits a manager at the other end of their career as opposed to one still building their reputation.

Skills

Snitch
This might come back to bite me on the arse, but I don't think Gerrard would take it. I'm not convinced he'd want to leave Rangers, who are probably in a better position on the park right now than Newcastle, when he's still got a lot of unfinished business up here. Another title, a good CL campaign and in another 18 months time possibly, but it's the Liverpool job he'll hold out for.

In reality any manager taking on that Newcastle job inherits an uncompetitive squad, will have to bed in a lot of signings, and is likely to be a placeholder until the club is credible enough to grab a top tier manager. It almost better suits a manager at the other end of their career as opposed to one still building their reputation.
I think that's the case as well. The risk at Newcastle is that he damages his reputation enough to never be considered for the Liverpool job.

Better off continuing doing a good job at Rangers, rather than risk throwing away the good work he's already done in terms of his CV

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Indeed

It would be a massive failure for Italy to not qualify to WC as european champions, even worse if it's because losing the group to Switzerland, which is very far from being a top team.

They should beat Switzerland at home in the last game, not doing it would be a let down, Switzerland got lucky in the away game, but it shouldn't happen again.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
But they aren't. It's overblown, they are one super unlikely loss at home away from having to play a playoffs game against a team like Poland/Scotland/Ukraine/Romania to qualify for the main tournament. They're not even remotely close to being eliminated. They've drawn one game they shouldn't have drawn and it's somehow made out as if they are struggling.
:p Not sure it is overblown, you know. The unexpected win at Euro 2020 is for the records and the glory of this generation of players (20 years from now, we will still have Insigne & Immobile remembering the good ol’ days together on the TV) … another miss at WC campaign, on the other hand, would destroy the reputation of any Italian manager for centuries to come, Euro medal or not. :wenger:

Sarni

:p Not sure it is overblown, you know. The unexpected win at Euro 2020 is for the records and the glory of this generation of players (20 years from now, we will still have Insigne & Immobile remembering the good ol’ days together on the TV) … another miss at WC campaign, on the other hand, would destroy the reputation of any Italian manager for centuries to come, Euro medal or not. :wenger:
It is overblown because Italy are nowhere near missing WC at this point. They drew one game. They are 1 win away from qualifying without playoffs and even if they lose to Switzerland at home, which is extremely unlikely, they will still get through the playoffs in all likelihood.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Mancini or Mourinho will end up there at some point inevitably. Initially I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to put the name of Gerrard/Lampard to the project. Either that or a young European manager, but that could go disastrously with the squad they have at the minute.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn’t surprise me if he wanted to go back when Everton sack him. The Newcastle fans love him and backing Rafa would be a great way for them to endear themselves. Think that ship may have sailed though. Unfortunate timing for Rafa.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bit surprised no one mentioned Ralf Rangnick. Few people in the business have more experience in developing clubs that suddenly get a massive money injection as a coach and more importantly as a DoF to implement a long term strategy and system how to stay successful. Did this both at Hoffenheim and Leipzig.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Bit surprised no one mentioned Ralf Rangnick. Few people in the business have more experience in developing clubs that suddenly get a massive money injection as a coach and more importantly as a DoF to implement a long term strategy and system how to stay successful. Did this both at Hoffenheim and Leipzig.
He’d be a shrewd acquisition as DOF, it’ll be interesting to see how the reception continues towards the takeover. My guess is it’ll die down and just become accepted as it has done previously. It’s definitely a huge moment in the leagues history, we potentially now have 3 clubs with immense resources.

redshaw

At least it will be an interesting watch in how they try to turn into the next City before the top 3 are oil lottery clubs. I can see some higher profile managers feeling they wouldn't want to join this early and others might have some trepidation in being moved on quickly, that's football largely but the playbook is there. A coach that then moves to DOF could be a good first play.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is Bruce going to beheading to Saudi Arabia for talks about his job? I would imagine they would like to pick apart his body of work at the club, to see if there was anyway he could keep things ticking over, until they find a proper replacement.

No doubt, he will be terminated anyway. But surely they are better to keep him on for a bit, for morale more than anything else. All the players will know they are going to be cut away sooner or later. What incentive do they have to keep putting in a serious effort for the club?

Before the transfer window even opens they will have played 20 games, it's possible they might be all but relegated by then. Is there a manager out there that can get this current lot up the league before then?
:nervous:

Dante

Average bang
They need a stepping stone manager to look after what will be a stepping stone squad.

Newcastle couldn't go to Guardiola or Mbappe tomorrow and convince them to join. It has to be an iterative evolution, going from relegation fodder to midtable to Europa League places to top 4 to title challenging. Obviously, with unlimited funds that process can be sped up. But you can't really skip over any steps.

What they do next should ideally be done with a view towards sustainability - because they can't realistically sack the manager, sell 24 sub-par players and sign 24 superior players every single summer.

The Saudi's first choice for manager should be somebody who is can reliably get them into around 7th to 5th place. And the players they sign should be top 4 potential or thereabouts so that, at worst, they can become squad players in the long term.

Hassenhutl fits the bill for next manager, imo. Lingard and Henderson would be ideal in terms of possible player acquisitions. Maybe Bale and Sterling for a bit of additional experience.

It won't be until they're established in the top 4 that they'll start competing for Europe's elite managers and players.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
if they get this next appointment not 100% right they might be staring down the relegation trap door. especially with the league the way it looks this year

NoPace

They need a stepping stone manager to look after what will be a stepping stone squad.

Newcastle couldn't go to Guardiola or Mbappe tomorrow and convince them to join. It has to be an iterative evolution, going from relegation fodder to midtable to Europa League places to top 4 to title challenging. Obviously, with unlimited funds that process can be sped up. But you can't really skip over any steps.

What they do next should ideally be done with a view towards sustainability - because they can't realistically sack the manager, sell 24 sub-par players and sign 24 superior players every single summer.

The Saudi's first choice for manager should be somebody who is can reliably get them into around 7th to 5th place. And the players they sign should be top 4 potential or thereabouts so that, at worst, they can become squad players in the long term.

Hassenhutl fits the bill for next manager, imo. Lingard and Henderson would be ideal in terms of possible player acquisitions. Maybe Bale and Sterling for a bit of additional experience.

It won't be until they're established in the top 4 that they'll start competing for Europe's elite managers and players.
Hassenhutl sure, but I feel like those players are a bit too old to make sense, apart from Sterling. I think the smarter move is to go for players ready to produce but who can be sold even if their quality is a bit lower, like players like Tarkowski, Dwight McNeil, Ward-Prowse and just overwhelm some young foreign players who want playing time with huge salary increases, like De Ketalere and Botman, maybe a few good young players whose moves haven't worked out so well but have obvious talent like Kulusevski and Roca types.

So yeah, one or two experienced types to join the guys who will stick around (St Maximin as a starter, Wilson, Almiron, Hayden and Willock and probably a keeper as reserves).

Basically aim to be Leipzig with a couple glamour signings on top of that.

Wilt

Paulo Fonseca odds on favourite.

Already in talks?

MrBrightside1989

Would be too funny if they appoint an 'attack minded coach' who goes on to get them relegated.
The spine of their team is useless and defensively they are weak.
they would be better off appointing Big Sam until summer to keep them up!

Giggsy13

Is Bruce going to beheading to Saudi Arabia for talks about his job? I would imagine they would like to pick apart his body of work at the club, to see if there was anyway he could keep things ticking over, until they find a proper replacement.

No doubt, he will be terminated anyway. But surely they are better to keep him on for a bit, for morale more than anything else. All the players will know they are going to be cut away sooner or later. What incentive do they have to keep putting in a serious effort for the club?

Before the transfer window even opens they will have played 20 games, it's possible they might be all but relegated by then. Is there a manager out there that can get this current lot up the league before then?
:lol:

Well done.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Such an uninspiring options for taking out of relegation..Favre won't manage outside of Germany and Howie doesn't have a team to play his style. I have no idea if Fonseca will do better than Hughes with that squad .

They should have dropped their ego and called Sam back.

poleglass red

I think that's the case as well. The risk at Newcastle is that he damages his reputation enough to never be considered for the Liverpool job.

Better off continuing doing a good job at Rangers, rather than risk throwing away the good work he's already done in terms of his CV
fair point, but if he stays at Rangers and doesn't win the league again , does that damage his reputation for the Liverpool job. He's had an indifferent start to the season, he's lost more games in the first 9 league games than he did all of last season. He's lost his first 2 games in europa league with no goals scored.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
fair point, but if he stays at Rangers and doesn't win the league again , does that damage his reputation for the Liverpool job. He's had an indifferent start to the season, he's lost more games in the first 9 league games than he did all of last season. He's lost his first 2 games in europa league with no goals scored.
Just to put a bit of context on that, he didn't lose in the league at all last season, & has lost 1 league game this season. Your wording makes it sound like a major collapse so far! :D

poleglass red

Just to put a bit of context on that, he didn't lose in the league at all last season, & has lost 1 league game this season. Your wording makes it sound like a major collapse so far! :D
lost 1 and drawn 2 in 9 league games, lost 2 in europa, certainly not a collapse. I was responding to whether him managing Newcastle would hurt his Liverpool job ambitions. I think no, I think him not winning the SPL, possibly one of the domestic cups and not having a decent run in europe hurts it even more. Newcastle need stability this season and active signs of progress next season and he'd be deemed a success. You lose a league you are expected to win and I think that is deemed as a failure for that club.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Looks like they're shopping off the same list of candidates that we were in the summer, I'd be worried about Fonseca if I was a Newcastle fan. Not that he'd definitely go but if I was them I'd be waving notes at Graham Potter.