Next Newcastle manager

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Such an uninspiring options for taking out of relegation..Favre won't manage outside of Germany and Howie doesn't have a team to play his style. I have no idea if Fonseca will do better than Hughes with that squad .

They should have dropped their ego and called Sam back.
Why should Favre not manage outside Germany? He already coached in Switzerland and France, his titles are two leagues and two cups with Zürich (as well as a German Supercup with Dortmund, but who cares about that...)
Favre would be a good option, he has experience in saving clubs and leading them into European cups quickly after that

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why should Favre not manage outside Germany? He already coached in Switzerland and France, his titles are two leagues and two cups with Zürich (as well as a German Supercup with Dortmund, but who cares about that...)
Favre would be a good option, he has experience in saving clubs and leading them into European cups quickly after that
It was from an article where he said he isn't interested in managing outside of Germany.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would Conte take that job? Would certainly be interesting.

How quickly could they buy their way to CL qualification? Theoretically plausible to do that in less than 2 full seasons?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

How quickly could they buy their way to CL qualification? Theoretically plausible to do that in less than 2 full seasons?
It has been estimated 5-10 years. Even the relaxed FFP will slow down how much they can increase their spending. I doubt a top manager will want that long term project. Maybe in 3 years a Conte type manager would want it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It has been estimated 5-10 years. Even the relaxed FFP will slow down how much they can increase their spending. I doubt a top manager will want that long term project. Maybe in 3 years a Conte type manager would want it.
Yeah, that makes sense. Of course it depends on how they navigate the FFP rules, but it seems unrealistic to assume they'll attract the top players until at the earliest summer '23.

The most fun approach would be to see 4-5 top prospects acquired under a progressive manager, but it's more likely to see something more conservative.

RedDevilRoshi

I think he’s holding out for a CL club right now rather than one that has the potential to be a CL side in the future.

The Newcastle jobs going to be viewed as a long term project rather than instant success right now.

redshaw

They need a few stepping stones before a Conte like manager

Does seem as well they will be a bit conservative early on going by the reports it's easy to start spending daft before they can run.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I tell you something, they need to actually pick up some points, & really badly.

Looking at their fixtures, they have Palace (A) Chelsea (H), Brighton (A), Brentford (H) & Arsenal (A) next 5 games. Then 2 massive must win home games back to back vs Norwich & Burnley, but then their festive season is brutal. Leicester (A), Liverpool (A), Man City (H), Man Utd (H) & Everton (A).

If they don't pick up wins soon & the likes of Burnley & Leeds pick up a couple, they really could be a bit stranded by the January transfer window.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I tell you something, they need to actually pick up some points, & really badly.

Looking at their fixtures, they have Palace (A) Chelsea (H), Brighton (A), Brentford (H) & Arsenal (A) next 5 games. Then 2 massive must win home games back to back vs Norwich & Burnley, but then their festive season is brutal. Leicester (A), Liverpool (A), Man City (H), Man Utd (H) & Everton (A).

If they don't pick up wins soon & the likes of Burnley & Leeds pick up a couple, they really could be a bit stranded by the January transfer window.
Could be interesting couldn't it. Even with the Saudi money if they're dead bottom and a real risk of going down, who's actually going to want to go there mid season?

They might have to go down and come up again :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Could be interesting couldn't it. Even with the Saudi money if they're dead bottom and a real risk of going down, who's actually going to want to go there mid season?

Was thinking that myself. Its also difficult to get out of a rut, we've seen that on numerous occasions. Normally you would say games like Palace, Brighton & Brentford they would have a good chance, but these teams have impressed this season, so it really is difficult to see where they can quickly turn their form round.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

we were talking about this in the pub last night, I can only see them having 12 points at best come January a couple of mates thing they could possibly get to 15-17 but I was stuggling to see how they could get that considering their performances so far have been shocking and the midfield is just a mess

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
we were talking about this in the pub last night, I can only see them having 12 points at best come January a couple of mates thing they could possibly get to 15-17 but I was stuggling to see how they could get that considering their performances so far have been shocking and the midfield is just a mess
I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I read someone posting a good manager could easily have them winning 12-15 games by the end of the season, & I was thinking, are you mad? There's only 30 games left, they've won 0 from 8, they look poor, you just can't switch form on like that. Even if they really strengthen in January that's another 10 games or so further down the line.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I read someone posting a good manager could easily have them winning 12-15 games by the end of the season, & I was thinking, are you mad? There's only 30 games left, they've won 0 from 8, they look poor, you just can't switch form on like that. Even if they really strengthen in January that's another 10 games or so further down the line.
madness, that's like a team on 4 wins now qualifying for Europe in 6-7th position, might be wrong but in the last 10 years can't think of a club with no wins by mid October being out of the relegation fight come April, I'm bored at work so might check last team season and see how many teams who were in the bottom 3 after 8 games got out of it.

last 8 season 8 seasons after games

2021 Fulham - West Brom - Sheff Utd - all went down
2020 Watford - Norwich - Everton - Watford & Norwich went down but Everton already had 2 wins even though 3rd bottom on 7 points - Bournemouth dropped in who had 11 points after 8 games
2019 Cardiff - Newcastle - Huddersfield - Fulham Dropped in - Newcastle finished Mid Table with 13 wins though they had won 0 out of their first 8 (Rafa's last season)
2018 Palace - Bournemouth - Leicester - none finished in bottom 3 but Palace and Bournemouth without strong finishes we're in the relegation fight for most of the season
2017 Sunderland - Swansea - Stoke - Sunderland only 1 to go down but Swansea had to win 4 of last 5 games to stay up
2016 Newcastle - Sunderland - Villa - Sunderland stayed up, Newcastle won 3 drew 2 of last 5 but still went down Sunderland stayed up by 2 points and we're also undefeated in last 5
2015 QPR - Burnley - Newcastle - Newcastle just stayed up, QPR and Burnley both relegated, Mags were in relegation fight all season
2014 Sunderland - Palace - Norwich - Sunderland won 4 of last 5 to stay up Palace comfortably stayed up

So it's possible but I just don't see 3 worse clubs, basically Newcastle are in a battle with Leeds, Watford, Burnley, Palace, Southampton for 2 places as I'm classing Norwich as relegated, things obviously change but I just don't see the likes of Villa, Brentford, Wolves being dragged into a relegation fight this season.

Palace - improving under Vieira and look to have enough goals and don't lose many, just need to change draws into wins.
Soton - they look more of a team than Newcastle, already played and done ok against West Ham, City and United and should pick up enough points
Watford - in same mess as Newcastle but at least they have a manager now who knows the league, it's a good chance Newcastle could finish above them though
Leeds - struggling but have enough decent players and a decent manager you'd think they can get out of it, currently missing Barmford
Burnley - They are losing by the odd goal but you'd think Dyche will be able to keep them up, normally a solid defence, not sure if they've had any injury issues but they played well against City last week and it was closer than the 2-0 suggested.

I honestly think if they lose to Palace they're in a relegation fight until at least april just looking at the 7 or 8 games after that

Last edited:

meninred

New castle United Realistic Expectation
this season 10th ( with new coach and several players)
next season 6
third season 4
fourth season 2
fifth season - champions

tomaldinho1

Yeah, that makes sense. Of course it depends on how they navigate the FFP rules, but it seems unrealistic to assume they'll attract the top players until at the earliest summer '23.

The most fun approach would be to see 4-5 top prospects acquired under a progressive manager, but it's more likely to see something more conservative.
I think with Howe they'd get this - he's be under no illusions that he'd be sacked if he doesn't establish them playing good football and solid midtable by end of season, particularly as you can expect 1 or 2 signings in Jan. I'd think for their image as well, that would be a nice story.

People forget how good his B'mouth team was when you think of how little money he had, hovering around 10th for a couple of seasons. Think they even outscored us one season!

gajender

madness, that's like a team on 4 wins now qualifying for Europe in 6-7th position, might be wrong but in the last 10 years can't think of a club with no wins by mid October being out of the relegation fight come April, I'm bored at work so might check last team season and see how many teams who were in the bottom 3 after 8 games got out of it.
Crystal Palace 2017-18 season 3 points in first eight games similar to Newcastle but won at their eighth attempt in the league after losing their first seven finished comfortable 11th in the table so precedent is there .

SirScholes

next season 6
third season 4
fourth season 2
fifth season - champions
absolutely no chance this team finishes 10th then 6th the season after!
that’s doing a massive injustice to the teams above them

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Crystal Palace 2017-18 season 3 points in first eight games similar to Newcastle but won at their eighth attempt in the league after losing their first seven finished comfortable 11th in the table so precedent is there .
not saying it can't be done, but Palace went on an unbeaten run for last 6 games at the end of the season and only lost 3 out of 17 in the mid season but of those 17 games most were against the teams in the bottom half but even after 30 games they were 3rd bottom, they're in a relegation battle to the end of the season

Palace 2017/18

Newcastle have a brutal run coming up before Christmas, I just can't see them going on a run like the Palace on below

Matchday1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738
GroundHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAH
ResultLLLLLLLWLDLDWDDDWWDLDWWLDDLLLLWLDWDWWW
Position1919192020202020202020202020182018141616171412131314151718181617171614111111

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Can't imagine many of their current players being up for a relegation scrap either, knowing they're going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Quite the perfect storm for them to go down this season, might be worth a cheeky bet?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't imagine many of their current players being up for a relegation scrap either, knowing they're going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Quite the perfect storm for them to go down this season, might be worth a cheeky bet?
Just sacked a manager that the players 'seemed' fond of (going by the ASM post) you have to wonder if they do go on a nightmare loss streak will they have the mental to recover?

They'll have to go big in January I think. I remember City were handing out some insane wages at the start to fairly average players, I assume they'll have to follow this route just to get them closer to the european spots.

Zen

Why is this Fonseca's name touted for random jobs in UK that reasonably should attract better?

His records at Roma and Porto are pretty weak.

Is it because he has a nice exotic name until a better exotic name comes available?

SirMattlives

Am I the only one surprised Lampard is being mentioned? I mean, Mark Hughes is surely available….

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why is this Fonseca's name touted for random jobs in UK that reasonably should attract better?

Is it because he has a nice exotic name until a better exotic name comes available?
Pretty weak is being kind.

He was awful.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
next season 6
third season 4
fourth season 2
fifth season - champions
:lol: :lol:

No chance they finish 6th next season, unless it's in the Championship :lol:

justsomebloke

OGS? :)

justsomebloke

absolutely no chance this team finishes 10th then 6th the season after!
that’s doing a massive injustice to the teams above them
I agree that looks like a tall order. Getting good players in January is tough. What is even tougher is immediately integrating several new arrivals at the same time. And in any case, on current information it looks like it's going to be something like 60m to spend for the January window. That's 1 big name player, or 2 good ones/promising ones. Well chosen, that could of course have quite an impact but it's not like it's a significantly revamped squad. They'd need to find someone who complements their current squad and fills gaps.

Over time huge money will make them a top club, if the club is run competently, but it's not an instant fix and there's so much more to that than just being able to buy players. Look at City - they've invested heavily into an organisation with top quality everywhere, not just in the squad. Newcastle needs to do the same to get similar results, but that takes some time to really have effect.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

I actually rate him. Not a world class manager, but very competent and when he was managing small clubs, his clubs played good football and got results with shoestring bidgets. What Roma fans didn't like in him he's that he lacked bravado, because he's quite a humble person and even when Roma had already signed with Mourinho he was always gracious.

If you look at stats, you will realise his Roma team was one of the teams with most clear chances created. Unfortunatelly for him, the conversion rate did not match the chances they were creating.

And bare in mind that Roma new owners invested 100M€ in transfers under Mourinho, while previous owners always balanced the ins and outs on transfer activity. And at the end of the season they will end up probably same or worst than last seasson.

Not saying it will pan out well, but he is clearly a very good manager.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
7M € / year? Pretty sure he gets that because they are including the signature bonus on the wages (they don't have to pay a fee to take him from another club)

Edit: the interin manager will still lead for 2 official games. They are not even taking advantadge of the new manager bounce.

Last edited:

izec

They will kick him out in 2-3 years once he brings them closer to top 4 and go for a big dog.