Next Newcastle manager

Robbie Boy

So, I think it's pretty obvious Bruce will be out of a job soon. He was already under massive pressure prior to the takeover, but he now looks a dead man walking. I can't envisage any scenario whereby Bruce gets to spend any blood money, so he'll likely be gone before January.

I see names like Howe, Conte and Gerrard being linked. I can't see Howe getting it tbh. Would they maybe go for Zidane? Would Zidane even go there?

I personally think Potter would be a fantastic choice. So, what does the Caf say?

Skills

Snitch
Lampard I think. A good stepping stone while they invest in the next year or two

largelyworried

They need an interim manager, someone they can keep for a season or two while they assemble a few decent players before ditching them for someone better, like with Hughes at City. Someone like Conte isn't going there until they pull a few more names in, and that won't happen overnight. Lampard sounds like a decent shout.

Infra-red

I expect they'll try for Conte/Zidane, but might need to get in a lower profile manager initially. Potter would indeed be a great choice for them from a football point of view.

The links with Lampard/Gerrard make some sense from a PR perspective - getting a high profile figure, widely respected in the game, to immediately endorse their sportswashing project, would probably be attractive to them.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The best thing they could do is hire a proper director of football and let him manage the football side of things.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So, I think it's pretty obvious Bruce will be out of a job soon. He was already under massive pressure prior to the takeover, but he now looks a dead man walking. I can't envisage any scenario whereby Bruce gets to spend any blood money, so he'll likely be gone before January.

I see names like Howe, Conte and Gerrard being linked. I can't see Howe getting it tbh. Would they maybe go for Zidane? Would Zidane even go there?

I personally think Potter would be a fantastic choice. So, what does the Caf say?
You know the style of big blood money owners. They will want celebrity manager and celebrity players, not just good ones

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It will be interesting to follow. We really don't know what direction these gangsters intend to go with Newcastle United yet. I assume it will be some sort of stopgap manager / squad builder to get them to a place that they can then bring in a world class manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why would Zidane or Conte go there ? They need immediate results and a slow rebuild. You can strike Zidane,Conte or any big names. Potter also won't go as he has setup a team at Brighton and the next step has to be a European club.

Newcastle will mostly look for a mid table manager who can solidify their PL status first. Benitez would have been a fantastic choice .

I'd like to see what Big Sam could do with £500 million.
Siphon it into various offshore bank accounts?

I think they will go for a big name, or at least as big as they can attract. I can't see the likes of Zidane being interested regardless of the money on offer. Gerrard is probably the best bet or an easy stopgap like Shearer.

FatTails

Pochettino. Big enough name, but no obvious destination after PSG. He plays good football and has already worked with PSG owners so knows what that is like.

On the other hand, I’m not sure if the Saudis would want the Qatari’s sloppy seconds.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
If I were Bruce, I'd resign, pretending I care very much about human rights issues and go out like a civil rights hero, deflecting any attention away from my actual managerial skills.

tomaldinho1

Mourinho please
I remember his speaking super highly of them around the time the 1st takeover was rumoured. Dream seat for him - his managerial star is nothing near what it was & he can buy as many experienced big names as possible.

Dante

Average bang
Any manager will need to oversee the transitions from relegation fodder to midtable and then midtable to top 4. For that, someone like Hasssenhutl might be a decent shout for a couple of seasons. Though I think he's quite limited in other ways and don't see him being able to take the next step beyond that.

But what's even more important for an oil club is to have a strong Director of Football who can stamp their authority on the overall philosophy. Clubs like Newcastle, by their very nature of wanting quick success, will have a high churn rate for managers. I think this ought to be the priority over picking a new coach, tbh. As a United fan, I hope it's Shearer.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

My money would be on Zidane. They don’t need a particularly technically great manager at this stage. Just somebody who will allow them to sign world class players. Making the “project” look appealing and a viable destination for top players is the first task when taking over a club with no pedigree of winning.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If I were Bruce, I'd resign, pretending I care very much about human rights issues and go out like a civil rights hero, deflecting any attention away from my actual managerial skills.
Why would he want to miss millions as severance package

Robbie Boy

Any manager will need to oversee the transitions from relegation fodder to midtable and then midtable to top 4. For that, someone like Hasssenhutl might be a decent shout for a couple of seasons. Though I think he's quite limited in other ways and don't see him being able to take the next step beyond that.

But what's even more important for an oil club is to have a strong Director of Football who can stamp their authority on the overall philosophy. Clubs like Newcastle, by their very nature of wanting quick success, will have a high churn rate for managers. I think this ought to be the priority over picking a new coach, tbh. As a United fan, I hope it's Shearer.
A DoF is absolutely vital. The soundbites coming from the club, is that they plan to go that route.

Zoo

Gerrard's stock is high, he'll attract names and Klopp isn't leaving anytime soon.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Give it Wenger for a couple of seasons. Man knows how to build a club.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Mourinho will end-up there some time definitely - two or three years I think, likely he'll be the next-but-one manager.

But replacing Bruce is interesting - I don't think Conte or managers of his level will go there whilst Newcastle are still so low in the table with so much work to do.

Benitez would've been the obvious one, but as things stand then maybe the best they could hope for at this stage would be someone like Valverde or Favre maybe? Assuming they are ready to return to management of course.

Assuming Klopp and Pep are top tier managers; Conte the next level down, with Pochettino (who I think will go back to Spurs once PSG sack him) and maybe Rodgers; then the Mourinho level, then Newcastle might be looking at the next tier down at best - way above Bruce of course, but not immediately in the upper tiers.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Leornado Jardim

Currently in Saudi Arabia already, wouldn't take much persuasion and can manage and build a good team.

Nickosaur

They wouldn't go for Potter, and Potter wouldn't go for Newcastle.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Newcastle are years away from being able to attract a Zidane or a Conte, the Saudi’s could be appalling at running a football club for all we know.

Gandalf

Wenger makes all kinds of sense as a stopgap appointment due to the clout his name still brings and his proven ability to develop talent and a style of play but I am not convinced he has any appetite to go back into club management at this point. Mourinho is off to a great start at Roma and if he can win the Conference League and get them back into the CL spots that would be a success from where they are and restore some of the lustre to his reputation so I can certainly see him as the next man up once the stopgap Manager has Newcastle mid table and rising.

AneRu

This is true, they need people who know their way around the football market before blundering around like madmen. If they get a good DOF in and give him space to maneuver then the manager bit is easy plus an experienced CEO would be handy too. A manager is only as good as the senior management in his club, they only need to look at us to be careful in that regard.