Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Mancini is a City legend. It's a total non starter.

Can you imagine losing the Derby and City fans signing his name? The ultimate insult.

Don't think he'd come here either due to his good faith with the massive club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is it really easier to go through all of this than to admit the guy hired by the CEO to be the highest football position in the club making the highest football decisions was part of the decision making process that got Ole's contract renewed?
One has to assume that he was, of course.

However, as far as we know he wasn't above Ole in the hierarchy - which means that he couldn't have simply vetoed the new contract. To what extent he was a massive believer in Ole is impossible to say for us. All we know is that Ole's contract was extended at a point where he'd finished 2nd in the league and where a - call it what you will - rebuilding process was still ongoing from the club's perspective.

We also know that Murtough went to Germany a couple of years ago - when he was still head of football development - and was impressed by Rangnick's work in a behind-the-scenes capacity. The latter fact is very interesting/telling, as it indicates (if nothing else) that he was open to a very different "structure" than the one United had/have operated with in the Woodward era (basically - carry on, hoping to strike it lucky with a manager in the Fergie mould).

I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here personally. He isn't Woodward, i.e. someone whose decisions on the football side have been consistently bad/uninformed/knee-jerkish for a number of years. The fact that he sought out Rangnick (who wasn't the most obvious choice for an interim at all - and certainly not a typical United appointment based on what we've been doing since SAF retired) is promising to me. Not necessarily because Rangnick will turn out brilliantly (I think we, as fans, should have modest expectations at this early stage - some people are getting far too giddy) - but because Murtough seems to be genuinely thinking along new lines in terms of how United should be set up on the football side.

Last edited:

Bestietom

If Rangnick is doing well and the system is working (gegenpress) then he should stay on for another season at least giving him more time to perfect it.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
One has to assume that he was, of course.

However, as far as we know he wasn't above Ole in the hierarchy - which means that he couldn't have simply vetoed the new contract. To what extent he was a massive believer in Ole is impossible to say for us. All we know is that Ole's contract was extended at a point where he'd finished 2nd in the league and where a - call it what you will - rebuilding process was still ongoing from the club's perspective.

We also know that Murtough went to Germany a couple of years ago - when he was still head of football development - and was impressed by Rangnick's work in a behind-the-scenes capacity. The latter fact is very interesting/telling, as it indicates (if nothing else) that he was open to a very different "structure" than the one United had/have operated with in the Woodward era (basically - carry on, hoping to strike it lucky with a manager in the Fergie mould).

I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here personally. He isn't Woodward, i.e. someone whose decisions on the football side have been consistently bad/uninformed/knee-jerkish for a number of years. The fact that he sought out Rangnick (who wasn't the most obvious choice for an interim at all - and certainly not a typical United appointment based on what we've been doing since SAF retired) is promising to me. Not necessarily because Rangnick will turn out brilliantly (I think we, as fans, should have modest expectations at this early stage - some people are getting far too giddy) - but because Murtough seems to be genuinely thinking along new lines in terms of how United should be set up on the football side.
Realistically we have no idea what Murtough thinks or does, as he has zero track record or experience in the role the only thing we have to go on is uniteds track record and Everton’s track record. Which isn’t great.
We can argue that he hasn’t been in a position of power to be in charge of a lot of the bad decisions since he has been at the club but he has certainly been here through the scatter gun approach to squad building.
he was certinaly here this summer when we spent £110 million just to make the squad look more imbalanced and seemingly without a plan of how to use the 100+ attackers we have.
Plus from the outside his appointment appears to be away of the board appeasing the calls from fans, media, pundits and well everyone to get a director of football as the board clearly didn’t have enough knowledge in this department to run the football side of the club.
The fact that it was an internal appointment of a person who has no experience in the role who has been at the club all along, at least gives the impression that it is nothing more than the board imploying a yes man.
The Rangnick appointment does at least show a bit more positive light bringing in some one with experience of how to to construct and run the football side of a club is probably the biggest postive sign we have had that the board has recognised it needs help. But the fact he is only here for 6 months as manager then a consultants role which doesn’t sound like a very concrete position at this stage makes me at least think that his influence maybe limited. But we have to wait and see. The post Fergie era has generally been a blundering mess that I belive that’s gonna change when the the start to show regular sensible decisions.

Foxbatt

According to all the information he was not the boss of Ole and neither was he under Ole. They both reported to Woody.

hobbers

Cant wait for the never ending rumours when Leicester sack Brenton. Ugh.

Zevvythered

Watching PSG vs Nice Tonight and have to admit the more I watch PSG the more I think Poch is done!!
Game finishes nil-nil sorry have to admit don’t want him anywhere near Old Trafford

Last edited:

caleb2003

All the talk of Ten Hag I'm not sure about, he plays the dutch Cruyffian system rather than the German way which is based very much more on Transitional play. Be very difficult to get but the natural successor for Ralf would (once again) be Nagelsmann. Would certainly be an exciting one and despite his funky dress sense I would love to see it.

JohnnyLaw

If Rangnick is doing well and the system is working (gegenpress) then he should stay on for another season at least giving him more time to perfect it.
That only really makes sense if a disciple of those principles were to succeed him. If Ten Hag is chosen as the next permanent manager then perfecting the gegenpress would be of little importance right?

I think if the right option is available in the summer i.e Ten Hag for example, then that has to take priority.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He's actually called Adolf Hutter and he's from Austria??
wtactualf??
I actually thought it was spelling mistake? :lol:
A kid born 1970 in Austria to a family with the name Hütter and they call him Adolf.
I'd say the parents' political inclinations are rather clear, the "that was his late Granddad's name and we promised Grandma to honour it" excuse isn't very convincing to the contrary. It's like walking around with a swastika tattooed on your face and saying that it's just because it's an Indian symbol for the sun. Uh huh..
A rather stubborn refusal to take the bigger picture into account, mildly put.

Of course, for good reason he insists on the 'Adi' short form, but it's still a slight, irremovable stumbling block for a big club job with international exposure :lol:

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

A kid born 1970 in Austria to a family with the name Hütter and they call him Adolf.
I'd say the parents' political inclinations are rather clear, the "that was his late Granddad's name and we promised Grandma to honour it" excuse isn't very convincing to the contrary. It's like walking around with a swastika tattooed on your face and saying that it's just because it's an Indian symbol for the sun. Uh huh..
A rather stubborn refusal to take the bigger picture into account, mildly put.

Of course, for good reason he insists on the 'Adi' short form, but it's still a slight, irremovable stumbling block for a big club job with international exposure :lol:
So, which coaches do you think play in a similar way that are available in the Bundesliga ?? That is if we don't just keep him on permanently, he seems open to it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So, which coaches do you think play in a similar way that are available in the Bundesliga ?? That is if we don't just keep him on permanently, he seems open to it.
In my view, the one closest to Rangnick is already in the PL, at Southampton.

Ace of Spades

In my view, the one closest to Rangnick is already in the PL, at Southampton.
I like him, but can he deal with the pressure here, and is he good enough ?? If we had more competent people who actually knew about football making decisions I would be more at ease. Hope they make the right decision if they go for someone else and not screw it up like always.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I like him, but can he deal with the pressure here, and is he good enough ?? If we had more competent people who actually knew about football making decisions I would be more at ease. Hope they make the right decision if they go for someone else and not screw it up like always.
I can only repeat myself, Rangnick decided to let him go because he thought Leipzig could improve on him. Why should he then recommend someone who wasn't good enough for Leipzig for United?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ah Poch you should have forced your way out of PSG. Ralfy is making ETH's bed.

Sviken

He's the guy. There should be no more discussion on the matter. If he wants to come here, he has to come here. We'll be shooting ourselves in the head (not the foot), if we miss on this opportunity.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I can only repeat myself, Rangnick decided to let him go because he thought Leipzig could improve on him. Why should he then recommend someone who wasn't good enough for Leipzig for United?
He wouldn't. Don't think their relationship is good after how it went. But still Hasenhüttl is arguably the closest to Rangnick in terms of playing style, which was the question.

Bestietom

That only really makes sense if a disciple of those principles were to succeed him. If Ten Hag is chosen as the next permanent manager then perfecting the gegenpress would be of little importance right?

I think if the right option is available in the summer i.e Ten Hag for example, then that has to take priority.
Then that would be a shame if we were playing great football Under Rangnick. We have made too many mistakes with changing managers, and why fix what's not broken if we are playing well under Rangnick.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Then that would be a shame if we were playing great football Under Rangnick. We have made too many mistakes with changing managers, and why fix what's not broken if we are playing well under Rangnick.
Like we were playing well under Ole?

Cassidy

I didn't say that.
Point being we shouldn't just carry on with an interim manager if we have been planning to hire a permanent one, just because they are having a good run of form. Also Rangnick isn't a long term manager

King Kendrick

Well then, I know it’s a late response but I unless Hutter turns this around quickly, his validity as a candidate is done. If you can’t handle the egos at BMG can’t really do it at a big club can you

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well then, I know it’s a late response but I unless Hutter turns this around quickly, his validity as a candidate is done. If you can’t handle the egos at BMG can’t really do it at a big club can you
It's a difficult job with several players wanting to leave. Erberl should back him imo and look to ship out the players that are unhappy in the January transfer window.

Bestietom

Point being we shouldn't just carry on with an interim manager if we have been planning to hire a permanent one, just because they are having a good run of form. Also Rangnick isn't a long term manager
No mate you got me wrong. I am just saying that if everything is going well with the gegenpress and we are improving under Rangnick, then it would be no harm to give him an extra season to perfect it.
If this was with a new manager, then he could work with him. It's all for the good of the team and club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's a difficult job with several players wanting to leave. Erberl should back him imo and look to ship out the players that are unhappy in the January transfer window.
Nonetheless it is worrying. I had no issue forgiving him the bad start to the season/job after all the trouble they had last season, but he needs to steady the ship quickly, the way their performances got worse in the last games really shouldn't happen. You can lose against Cologne, you can lose against Freiburg, but not in this way back to back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nonetheless it is worrying. I had no issue forgiving him the bad start to the season/job after all the trouble they had last season, but he needs to steady the ship quickly, the way their performances got worse in the last games really shouldn't happen. You can lose against Cologne, you can lose against Freiburg, but not in this way back to back.
I agree but it seems the problems at the club are far deeper than just the head coach. I think a refresh of players is required because it seems several have become disillusioned at still being at the club and their presence in the dressing room is having a detrimental effect.

Cassidy

No mate you got me wrong. I am just saying that if everything is going well with the gegenpress and we are improving under Rangnick, then it would be no harm to give him an extra season to perfect it.
If this was with a new manager, then he could work with him. It's all for the good of the team and club.
You think that would be better than hiring potentially one of the next best managers around? I personally don’t.
If the club want Ten Hag long term then better to get him in this summer. The harm in continuing would be missing out on the clubs top target and them ended up at a rival club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Arsenal will be after a new manager before start of next season. We better not blow this opportunity to get Ten Hag. You just know they will go for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.