Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
That’s a big shame if true, we have a few lads from the academy I’d like to see given a go, would be a waste to bring a manager with no interest in playing them especially for a club like ours.
I'm sorry to say that this won't be the case. Even at a club like Ajax, in a league like the Eredivisie, Ten Hag has a pathological need for the illusion of "depth". He's afraid of having to rely on academy players, and so for the past couple seasons we've bloated our squad with mediocre signings on his behalf (Klaiber, Labyad, Promes the best examples) and not let go of players when offers come in (Alvarez, Tagliafico, Neres(ish)) because he needs to feel like every position is at least double-occupied with "experienced" players.

Then he goes and never plays any of them, sticking to the same starting XI with maybe one or two other players occasionally swapped in (think Klaassen).

Our only DM for 2 seasons now has been Alvarez, and we have a promising player, Taylor, who can play in a similar (though more of a "footballer" in nature) role, yet he never ever gives him proper minutes, and not a single start, and so the second Alvarez falls away he ends up resorting to Klaassen or Kudus on Alvarez' position and then when the entire defensive organisation falls apart (which it invariably does in those games) everyone starts saying how clearly important Alvarez must be, rather than that plugging his position with completely different players who don't hold position is the problem.

Literally Ten Hag will never give a Taylor a chance to get the experience needed so that that same Ten Hag would be willing to trust him. It's so annoying.

Gravenberch and Timber are the two exceptions to this story. I guess Dest at the time maybe as well.
Dest and Rensch only got their chances because of how often Mazraoui is injured though.
Ten Hag then tried to prevent that from happening again by bringing in the completely mediocre Klaiber from his old club Utrecht (for millions), but then he tore his knee and so when Mazraoui had his inevitable spell of injuries Rensch got his minutes.

But the second Rensch had a bit of lesser form after losing his position at the start of this season Ten Hag has again become completely afraid of ever trusting him, or subbing him off at half time when he did get to start again but looked uneasy.

Ten Hag will revel in the chance to have a squad of 30 seasoned veterans at a top club, but will still only ever use 12-13 of them.

Telsim

70M for Antony! :lol: Yeah, that's not going to happen. He is promising, but not 70M promising.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Seems like all the shit that Melissa Reddy was getting on here for reporting that it was close last week was incredibly unwarranted because she’s allegedly a Liverpool fan or reporter from Liverpool or some shite. Almost as if she’s a professional journalist or something?

I think she's replaced James Cooper as the United reporter for Sky.

Roux

The bloke who doesnt like attacking plays 5-5-0 and doesnt even have a shot off target last night? Noooo he would be a boring nightmare
Yeah lets judge a manager based on one game. Genius.

Vapor trail

I don't understand

Can someone explain this tweet to me in the context that the new manager is a newborn baby and Manchester United are the parents?
Sounds like the club have profiled certain players maybe the scouts have identified and this methodology is the process of how the manager and the hierarchy work in unison to sign players. A much better approach then what United have done giving managers too much authority in making purchasing decisions.

For all the stick the glazers have received the structural changes with the removal of Woodward will hopefully have a impactful influence.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Of course Antony is worth that…40m to everyone else though.
There's no way Ajax let Antony go for 40m, and that's never been a price that anyone within Ajax would have taken seriously.

We bought him for like 20m, and he now looks 10x the player/talent than his reputation at that time would have suggested

Think put those quoted figures in Euros instead and you have a more accurate reflection of what Ajax would/should be looking for.

But I hope we refuse any offers this summer and instead hold on for the chance of him impressing at the world cup for Brazil

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Antony is a tad bit overrated if you ask me. His work ethic is unparalleled. He has some nice trickery in his arsenal.
But he isn't that special if you ask me.

He's lacking some pace and explosiveness. I also think the La Liga would fit him better.
His stats aren't mindblowing either; 8 goals and 4 assists in 23 Eredivisie matches.

He was REALY good in the first few CL matches before the winter break. But other than that he did okeeee.....
Certainly not worth 70m...

Timber >> Antony

Last edited:

Real Name

Seems like all the shit that Melissa Reddy was getting on here for reporting that it was close last week was incredibly unwarranted because she’s allegedly a Liverpool fan or reporter from Liverpool or some shite. Almost as if she’s a professional journalist or something?

She's cute.

Speako

His English is really poor btw...

In the Netherland almost everyone speaks fluent English.
Hell... even my 7 year old son can speak some English.

But watching Ten Hag speaks English is like watching someone take their first stab at riding a bicycle.
you literally only need to google ‘Ten Hag speaking English’ to see a number of press conferences where his English is fine.

Flexdegea

I'm sorry to say that this won't be the case. Even at a club like Ajax, in a league like the Eredivisie, Ten Hag has a pathological need for the illusion of "depth". He's afraid of having to rely on academy players, and so for the past couple seasons we've bloated our squad with mediocre signings on his behalf (Klaiber, Labyad, Promes the best examples) and not let go of players when offers come in (Alvarez, Tagliafico, Neres(ish)) because he needs to feel like every position is at least double-occupied with "experienced" players.

Then he goes and never plays any of them, sticking to the same starting XI with maybe one or two other players occasionally swapped in (think Klaassen).

Our only DM for 2 seasons now has been Alvarez, and we have a promising player, Taylor, who can play in a similar (though more of a "footballer" in nature) role, yet he never ever gives him proper minutes, and not a single start, and so the second Alvarez falls away he ends up resorting to Klaassen or Kudus on Alvarez' position and then when the entire defensive organisation falls apart (which it invariably does in those games) everyone starts saying how clearly important Alvarez must be, rather than that plugging his position with completely different players who don't hold position is the problem.

Literally Ten Hag will never give a Taylor a chance to get the experience needed so that that same Ten Hag would be willing to trust him. It's so annoying.

Gravenberch and Timber are the two exceptions to this story. I guess Dest at the time maybe as well.
Dest and Rensch only got their chances because of how often Mazraoui is injured though.
Ten Hag then tried to prevent that from happening again by bringing in the completely mediocre Klaiber from his old club Utrecht (for millions), but then he tore his knee and so when Mazraoui had his inevitable spell of injuries Rensch got his minutes.

But the second Rensch had a bit of lesser form after losing his position at the start of this season Ten Hag has again become completely afraid of ever trusting him, or subbing him off at half time when he did get to start again but looked uneasy.

Ten Hag will revel in the chance to have a squad of 30 seasoned veterans at a top club, but will still only ever use 12-13 of them.

This is music to my ears. Sounds like he won't play the dross we have unless he really has too but will literally play the strongest team every game.

I've no issues with him not playing the squad players every game and only using them when he has too because of injury etc

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
but yeah, Blind and Maguire are of similar quality on the ball.
Maybe I just haven't seen Maguire play often enough (I have seen him play a lot though) but I can't agree with this at all.

Here are some Blind things that I happen to have saved to my laptop for whatever reason from a couple seasons ago:

The last one was just that I noticed how much danger he created in the first 5 minutes of some random Utrecht match that I was watching back

Greck

I was thinking the same, how does what you wrote relate to the tweet you quoted?
How did my post about Phelan's contract renewal relate to a tweet about Phelan leaving at the end of the season? Are you actually reading what you're replying?

wolvored

Yeah lets judge a manager based on one game. Genius.
He does the ultra defensive bit a lot of the time not just one game. We need to bring the excitement back, we have been bored enough.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
This is music to my ears. Sounds like he won't play the dross we have unless he really has too but will literally play the strongest team every game.

I've no issues with him not playing the squad players every game and only using them when he has too because of injury etc
The problem though is that he obsesses about having that dross in his squad because he needs a feeling of security, even if it's just illusory

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Got two polar opposite opinions on that one :lol:

but yeah, Blind and Maguire are of similar quality on the ball. Defensively, Blind reads the game better whilst Maguire has the obvious aerial advantage, but it's not Maguire's ability on the ball that would be worrisome for Ten Hag. It's if he doesn't cut out making so many mistakes.
jesus no. They aren't.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

How anyone can read what he just said as a positive is beyond me. We’ve literally just had our season completely ruined by keeping a squad that was far too big with players who got very disgruntled due to not ever getting opportunities. It literally happened. This season. And it wasn’t good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe I just haven't seen Maguire play often enough (I have seen him play a lot though) but I can't agree with this at all.

Here are some Blind things that I happen to have saved to my laptop for whatever reason from a couple seasons ago:

The last one was just that I noticed how much danger he created in the first 5 minutes of some random Utrecht match that I was watching back
Blind is multiple levels above Maguire. There is no comparison.

Flexdegea

The problem though is that he obsesses about having that dross in his squad because he needs a feeling of security, even if it's just illusory
I don't mind some of our dross sitting on the bench, they can also do decent job covering.

Think what was happening at Ajax, and what will happen with us will work different, he can defo go for a higher standard of player to work the bench. The funds and resources be so much more.

The fact he worked wonders with Tallic etc tells me he can also do the same with some of dross who are better footballers than Tallic etc.

Flexdegea

How anyone can read what he just said as a positive is beyond me. We’ve literally just had our season completely ruined by keeping a squad that was far too big with players who got very disgruntled due to not ever getting opportunities. It literally happened. This season. And it wasn’t good.

I outlayed what I meant to the poster.

Also, a serious amount of players will be leaving this summer, mostly from run down contracts etc and some sales. The squad ain't going to be massively bloated. Also expecting more youth to feature.

L1nk

then you're missing the entire point of what I said
I’m going to assume youth, being a big part of our history, was discussed with Ten Hag at length, i honestly don’t think we’d go with him if he wasn’t that fussed on bedding them in. I’m not disgareeing with you of course you know Ajax more than me, but maybe Ten Hag is willing to adapt more to get the job

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He couldn't hack it in the Prem though. Not defending Maguire or anything I dislike him, but Blind failed here.
I think Blind was good in the Prem, for the right system he worked fine as a CB. In fact he had a good run there, it was Mourinho who came in and sold him because he wanted more physical players in his system.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
If Ten Hag is smart enough he will bench Maguire straight away. Otherwise he will be jobless in 2 months.
Blind has more talent in his little toe than Harry will every have.

Sorry guys, it has to be said. :yawn:

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
What's Ajax's record transfer? They never demand silly money like this. That's the fee we paid for Sancho FFS
€86m for Frenkie de Jong

I’m going to assume youth, being a big part of our history, was discussed with Ten Hag at length, i honestly don’t think we’d go with him if he wasn’t that fussed on bedding them in
hmmm yeah imagine Ten Hag being at a club that has youth as a big part of its history

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Ten Hag is my choice but I can already see how this could be another disaster if this is all true. That's why I defended Poch, somebody who brings through young, less established players and turns them into good players. If Ten Hag comes here and does what you are saying then it absolutely will not be long before people start questioning things he's doing and the pressure will ramp up. Because we all know the first season will probably be a bit up and down.

ti vu

He couldn't hack it in the Prem though. Not defending Maguire or anything I dislike him, but Blind failed here.
He didn't fail. Moving from LVG to Mourinho, just doesn't have a system to protect and utilize his ability. Blind for all his flaw, and how bad the team was under LVG, he made a very good CB partnership with Smalling. Put Maguire into that situation, we would be worse as we lose out the creativity from Blind, and no benefit.

Blood Mage

I think Blind was good in the Prem, for the right system he worked fine as a CB. In fact he had a good run there, it was Mourinho who came in and sold him because he wanted more physical players in his system.
He was good in short bursts for Van Gaal but overall the physicality was too much for him. Smalling had to carry him in a lot of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.