Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes. We’ve done that though. We have good young players. But that majority of our squad are ready to win. The guy doesn’t even play youth.
We aren't gonna win unless we bring in a coach who can successfully implement a way of playing the game with our current crop of players. We don't play any specific way, so the new Coach won't be trying to change us from one style to another but rather from no style to a style.

I assume you mean Solskjaer doesn't give chances to youngsters because ten Hag has brought through Gravenberch, Timber from the youth team and also helped develop Antony. He's also got a number of players on the bench who are being prepared for future battles.

Mainoldo

We aren't gonna win unless we bring in a coach who can successfully implement a way of playing the game with our current crop of players. We don't play any specific way, so the new Coach won't be trying to change us from one style to another but rather from no style to a style.

I assume you mean Solskjaer doesn't give chances to youngsters because ten Hag has brought through Gravenberch, Timber from the youth team and also helped develop Antony. He's also got a number of players on the bench who are being prepared for future battles.
Yeah I’m all for Ten Hag. It annoys me how we don’t utilise our team. Look how top heavy it is. We have Mata sitting at home. It’s stupid.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I’m all for Ten Hag. It annoys me how we don’t utilise our team. Look how top heavy it is. We have Mata sitting at home. It’s stupid.
I agree with you mate and that annoys me too. Mata was getting starts ahead of the talent youth we have at the club in pre-season and the Carabao Cup. And he's not even part of the short or long term, It's a mess.

Needham

Do we actually need a human? Without an obvious candidate from the organic bipedal community why not develop a software programme to mash up all relevant stats game by game and select the optimal team? Just go full AI and fuxk these immensely disappointing humans off.

croadyman

Rangnick as interim just to get this team coached better then allow him to go alongside Murtough and pick next manager

theklr

As annoying as it will be, Brendan will have the strongest squad he has ever managed. He could actually do good. At least he should easily get us into top 4.

But I dont see Glazers paying the probable ludicrous sum Leicester want for him.

L1nk

Ohhhh my goddddddddd, managers are only short term if they are unsuccessful, managers are only long term if they are successful in the short term. Why the hell would you want a "long term managerial appointment" without knowing if they are going to be successful at all, oh right because of Sir Alex. I hate this damn club, i hate the owners and the romanticism and the DNA and the passion, it really pisses me off. Wake up and join the modern era, if Conte was successful and didn't clash with a board, guess what, he'd be long term, we're the only club that want to make long term appointments assuming that in 5-6 seasons they'll take us back to the top, they know absolutely nothing about football and there are things i want to say about them but it will probably get me banned from this forum in all honesty. A one eyed dog could run this club better.

SparkedIntoLife

Having done some reading, Marcelo Gallardo has gone right up my list. He's superb with young players. Tactically very adaptable (including winning a game in the Copa Libertadores with 20+ players out with Covid - playing Enzo Perez in goal, giving a few youth players debuts, playing some people out of position, having no subs). Sounds like he's got the right temperament. He's out of contract at the end of this year. There may be a language barrier but he played in the US for a year so probably speaks at least basic English.

I do hope we don't just go obvious rather than right. Although I want this season salvaged and don't want Ole or an interim manager in too long, I think it's absolutely crucial we're patient enough to wait for the right person as opposed to getting in yet another person who isn't quite good enough. In reality, there's a very minute number of candidates who suit our needs. Change for change sake is not the route we should take.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
@Reapersoul20 keeps mentioning Roberto Martinez as a top level replacement. I can't see it but I'm open to being persuaded.

SeanyC

i'd love to get Potter but we would need an experienced DOF above him
Potter will be a good choice but I feel he will need experienced coaches with him. It will be a serious eye opener for him

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Solskjaer gets sacked at any moment this season then who do we bring in?

The most obvious manager is Ten Hag.

Ten Hag is due a change soon and if we can get to the end of the season out of the title race and without Europe then I can't see us sticking with Sols.

Ten Hag won't leave mid season and the way he sets up his teams is exactly how we would like ours to be so I'm saying Ten Hag.

We'll see come May eitherway.
Seems one of the two logical options (along with rodgers) though i doubt either will be short of offers by the summer

Ole will probably stay till we are out of the champions league and cant qualify for next years at which point probably there will be a handful of games left and we will put a caretaker in charge (ronaldo player manager might be a long shot but i wouldnt rule it out)

Then i guess we approach Rodgers and Ten Hag... both their representatives approach City and see if they can take over when pep leaves - we end up with whoever city does not want

Id much prefer they just got rid of ole now - chucked however much cash it will take ten hag to change his mid about a mid season move and promise him a big january transfer budget... but I think taking a city reject in the summer with no CL next season is more the glazers way

Rolaholic

I'm sure he'd pass up Man United to keep up that senior role...

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Rangnick is 63, not 67.
It was an article from 4 years in the future where Woodward is seriously thinking about contemplating Ole's replacement and the past meetings mentioned occurred now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It was an article from 4 years in the future where Woodward is seriously thinking about contemplating Ole's replacement and the past meetings mentioned occurred now.
Why would he sack Ole when we are on the way to be promoted back to the PL again?

Devil_J

Looking at the performances by Utd lately it's clear that we need a manager that can put discipline into our defence predominantly and deliver us clean sheets at home, considering we haven't had one since April in the Prem which is the most atrocious aspect of our team. Just watching teams slice through our lines because we aren't covering angles, with the midfield not knowing whether to press or drop, is entirely trainable and shows such a huge naivety in our coaching staff.

Our attack is sufficient with limited rigour or management simply with the ability of our forward line.

We also need a manager that isn't afraid to have Ronaldo on the bench if its suits the match and we need to either press or remain compact, no player should ever be bigger than the club, I don't care who it is (and Ronaldo is my childhood idol). Ronaldo would be an amazing 70 min sub once the opposition has tired a little and we've kept a solid defensive shape.

This is why I'd say Erik, who can use Donny in this exact role to cover midfield as he did at Ajax

talking robot

Laurent Blanc could be a interesting interim, assuming he's happy doing the role.
He would be an interesting choice indeed. He's managed big egos at PSG and French national team, did incredibly well with Bordeaux, won 3 ligue 1 titles with PSG (though this was probably just par for the course), and has a defined playing style. On top of that is a former player, which suites the Glazer's (idiotic) "keep it in house" model. So in addition to being interesting, this strikes as quite possible.

GazTheLegend

Perhaps this is me overthinking our current "Galactico" policy, but I can't help feel like our fringe players and overlooked benchwarmers (even maybe some youth players) would do better than our first team right at this moment - especially if someone else was coaching them.

So as a thought experiment, would a team consisting of:
Henderson
Williams-Bailly-Tuanzebe-Telles
Matic
VDB-Mata
Sancho-Elanga-Martial​

But managed by (someone better) beat our first 11 managed by Solskjaer? I can't help but feel like we should be so much more dangerous a team than we've shown so far, and this sudden reliance on defensively minded players is a tactic designed to stop us losing right now (and thus save his job). At least Mata, Matic and VDB can pass a football. Elanga has the WORLD to prove. And that's without naming the likes of Lingard, or Garner, or Amad Diallo, or any one of the unbelievably talented players with <20 minutes on the football pitch right now. Youth-Courage-Success was supposed to be our motto, yet right now we're relying on two useless overrated fecks that are -obviously- leaving the club for free in 8 months, a 36 and a 34 year old, and a defence which gives the opposition at least 2-3 clear cut chances a game right at this minut, as well as a goalkeeper who like Jekyll and Hyde, has a world class performance one week, then lets shots through his gloves the next, and is pretty much THE most passive keeper I've seen since Goram but without the swagger. I'm imagining the game right now just watching our 3 centre backs get torn apart by the 3 players WE'RE NOT EVEN PLAYING.

Charles Miller

Marcelo Gallardo is going to some other european club soon and people are going to ask why nobody was talking about him.

Jaxa

That was supposed to be Ole, it's been 3 years, hundreds of millions of pounds spent and wasted and not a single trophy to show,

i try not to believe everything i read but thats coming from a very reliable source and you just know it's true, plus Ole has only promoted 1 academy player in Greenwood, it's all smoke being blown up each others arses

NoPace

isn’t the champions league more important than the league? It’s the same case. River is the team that has won more leagues in Argentina’s history. Their struggle were the international titles, until gallardo came. Hes made them win the South American cup first, the Libertadores the next year. Then they reached semifinals and got robbed by Lanus. Next year they robbed us but got to beat boca at the final. In the next edition they lost incredibly to flamengo at the final after dominating them the whole game. And then they reached semifinals again.
He also dominated boca juniors at the domestic and national cup levels, besides the libertadores where they eliminated boca multiple times.
He never pretended to win the league, until this year where he’s head and shoulders above the rest and are going to win it comfortably.

hes highly rated for everything I told you, mainly because being as consistent as he has been in Argentina where the best players are constantly sold to other leagues, hes been creating teams to compete and deliver good footbal, improving players, year after year.
I get why he's highly rated, but it just feels like if he was managing in a league of similar quality (say Scotland or Turkey) and he had consistent success in Europe and say won the Europa League and made a CL quarter-final there would both be tons of hype but also tons of people saying "well he's never won the league and it's not even a top 10 league in the world, even if he is going on these great Cup runs."

I can't tell if he moves to Europe, will it be at a huge club like United or Madrid, or will he get a good but mid-table job like Betis or Fiorentina.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That was supposed to be Ole, it's been 3 years, hundreds of millions of pounds spent and wasted and not a single trophy to show,

i try not to believe everything i read but thats coming from a very reliable source and you just know it's true, plus Ole has only promoted 1 academy player in Greenwood, it's all smoke being blown up each others arses
It wasn't supposed to be Ole, but rather Pochettino.

Status
Not open for further replies.