Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's better for his career to go to City but the Dutch know their football.

If he thinks United are finally working like a big club, he'll pick us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wouldn’t be surprised with Marco Rose appointment. He did play with 2 strikers and can be flexible with different formation at Mönchengladbach and has similar football philosophy by winning high balls, pressing, and playing short ways to the goal. Also came through Salzburg.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wouldn’t be surprised with Marco Rose appointment. He did play with 2 strikers and can be flexible with different formation at Mönchengladbach and has similar football philosophy by winning high balls, pressing, and playing short ways to the goal. Also came through Salzburg.
Still don't think so. Has left Gladbach in a horrible state, still failed to get a convincing system going at Dortmund, did not have any impressive cup runs...

He isn't bad, but I really don't think he will be the best option. Bit of course he played for us under Rangnick, so he must be a great manager, right?;)

BorisManUtd

It seems like it definitely will not be Rodgers (unless Leicester's form improves dramatically). Poch is on the list for sure but ten Hag may be number 1 target now. Hiring an interim was maybe best possible decision, we've got plenty of time to decide now. Some people suggest keeping Rangnick as permanent manager, we're yet to see from him this season but I would not be for it personally, idea od him as interim and then in consultancy role may be the best one.

Last edited:

saivet

Genuinely believe that if we draw PSG (again) and Poch fails to knock us out, I don't think he will be our next permanent manager.

BorisManUtd

Genuinely believe that if we draw PSG (again) and Poch fails to knock us out, I don't think he will be our next permanent manager.
Agree. Think board is not as keen on him as few months ago or a year ago. Will be interesting to see who will Ajax draw, if they draw City/Liverpool/Chelsea and do well then maybe we definitely go for him.

United in sin

It would be silly to make a big decision based on two games, but the very competent United board did hire Solskjaer after he beat Tuchel's PSG

Agree. Think board is not as keen on him as few months ago or a year ago.
Will be interesting to see who will Ajax draw, if they draw City/Liverpool/Chelsea and do well then maybe we definitely go for him.
What's this based on?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@SportingCP96

Just saw Ruben Amorim being talked about as a potential next manager for us.

You said he wasnt ready at one point. How has he been doing, is he ready now if not then why?

How has he be doing and what his his playstyle?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Who is this dude then? The journo, not the manager. Any way reliable?

SATA

I get that Ronaldo and Bruno are highly influential players, but they get to decide managers as well for the club? :lol:

Did Dalot gave his approval as well because he’s Portuguese too?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
@SportingCP96

Just saw Ruben Amorim being talked about as a potential next manager for us.

You said he wasnt ready at one point. How has he been doing, is he ready now if not then why?

How has he be doing and what his his playstyle?
I made a whole thread ! Check it out ;)

Daengophile

The contributors on here will appoint the next manager. That much is clear.

We selected Rangnick and now we have made our choice in ten Hag

The deals are being negotiated as we speak over slices of Gouda and pints of advocaat.

Martial will be the sweetener

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We will get Poch and allow Ten Hag to slip through our fingers and take over from Pep at City in 2023. Absolutely nailed on to happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We will get Poch and allow Ten Hag to slip through our fingers and take over from Pep at City in 2023. Absolutely nailed on to happen.
It depends if City have been smart enough to give him guarantees he'll be their pick and to hold on the extra year.
However, in a way it'd be mad to go to City to replace Pep. An impossible mission really, not quite the same as replacing Fergie.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It depends if City have been smart enough to give him guarantees he'll be their pick and to hold on the extra year.
However, in a way it'd be mad to go to City to replace Pep. An impossible mission really, not quite the same as replacing Fergie.
Yeah fair point.

I want him here anyway. And Edwin too. We got to make it happen.

AneRu

I want Ten Hag because I feel, even with Rangnick, we are horribly outgunned in the dugout by Liverpool and City and this guy is the only guy that comes close to either in terms of having a system set up to dominate matches and has done wonders in the CL considering the resources available to him.

However I also worry that won't he need another multi-year rebuild to get the squad that can effectively implement his vision? Because there is a risk that we throw another £300m or £400m at him over a few years and still come up short because City and Liverpool will always be there and we will always have the Glazers and Woodward who don't care much about winning and don't really have the drive to push that extra mile to complete the team like Liverpool did in 18/19 or thereabouts.

Another aspect is the ex-player contingent we have in the media who are ideologically different from a Ten Hag but with the platform to set an agenda and destabilize manager through snide comments and unfair criticism, something LVG and Jose endured.

These two factors make me doubt the move because, unless he hits the jackpot with youth, he is going to need to replace a few expensively acquired first team players and the Glazers won't write him a £300m cheque to it once like Roman would. This means he'd need time and in that time he'd be operating with a suboptimal squad which could hurt results thereby opening the gate to criticism from biased pundits hurting because one of their former team mates was jettisoned from the post he'd be occupying.

Cloud7

Who is this dude then? The journo, not the manager. Any way reliable?
Shameful that Bruno and Ronaldo didn’t include Dalot in this decision. Fractures within the Portuguese contingent?

Also I’m guessing that this is just a translation issue, and what they actually meant was that Bruno and Ronaldo spoke highly of this guy etc.

Udmaster

I don't know if it is only me that I am not fully convinced by Ten hag.
De boer and Koeman all did wonders at Ajax, look at their performances since leaving Ajax.
Attractive possession based football has always being part of the Ajax system, so lets stop making it look like Ajax were like the "tony pulis stoke" until ten hag came on board and made them start passing the ball in triangles.
Lets accept the fact that ten hag will be a risky experiment, it may work out hopefully, it may not.
Lets stop overhyping him as if he is a guardiola clone

Max_United

De boer and Koeman all did wonders at Ajax, look at their performances since leaving Ajax.
Attractive possession based football has always being part of the Ajax system, so lets stop making it look like Ajax were like the "tony pulis stoke" until ten hag came on board and made them start passing the ball in triangles.
Lets accept the fact that ten hag will be a risky experiment, it may work out hopefully, it may not.
Koeman was at Ajax two decades ago, won 2 titles in 3 years in 4th year was out of title race and sacked. Had 1 good CL run (1/4 finals, never was out of group stage in other years). De Boer won 4 titles in a row but then lost two titles to PSV and never made it out of group stage in UCL. They both did ok especially in the league but did not work wonders.

Ten Hag had Ajax in semifinal of UCL for the first time after 96-97. Now he had 6 wins in the group stage and a good chance of making at least quarterfinals. Ajax in general make it out of group stage very rarely in the last decades (4 times in last 20 years, two of them under ETH).

Not disputing that he is a risk but he is definitely significantly outperforming Koeman and De Boer.

themanguydude

I think part of the allure of Ten Hag and why he is voted so highly is precisely because of the risk. It's venturing into the unknown. Either he'll be Pep 2.0 or LVG 2.0.

With Poch I feel we already know what he'll bring to the table, both the good and the bad. We will probably be a comfortably top 4 team throughout his tenure but will never really challenge for anything bar maybe a league cup here or there.

Daengophile

Style wise, we seem to have stopped hankering after the days of Ferguson and be seeking an older style of Gegenpressing.

At some stage, being the epicenter of football, we should be seeking to define and implement the "new" football where the opposition sees us take possession and the bulge at the back of the net as being pretty simultaneous and before they have had a chance to digest what has happened, they have kicked off, been dispossessed, and the net bulges once more

Thiagoal

I don’t think Ten Haag would make any sense for us now. It’s clear the board are putting massive faith in Ragnick and allowing him to employ coaches that can help him implement the pressing style.

I can only see Ragnick staying on for an extra year as manager or a manager coming from the Red Bull stable that will seamlessly continue what Ralf has started. Would be totally ridiculous to train the players in a very particular style for 6 months and then go for a coach with different principles!

Udmaster

I don’t think Ten Haag would make any sense for us now. It’s clear the board are putting massive faith in Ragnick and allowing him to employ coaches that can help him implement the pressing style.

I can only see Ragnick staying on for an extra year as manager or a manager coming from the Red Bull stable that will seamlessly continue what Ralf has started. Would be totally ridiculous to train the players in a very particular style for 6 months and then go for a coach with different principles!
I don't think so.
A manager with the same ideology to football as ralf will definitely be walking in.
Ralf dream here is the consultancy role

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Nothing ridiculuous about that. The move Leipzig made from Rangnick to Nagelsmann was quite similar to the potential move from Rangnick to ten Hag and it was successful.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Rangnick is an advocate of having a concept and system that's identifiable. I don't think Ten Hag is massively dissimilar to Rangnick. There are of course some differences in their approach to the game and tactics but they aren't on completely different wavelengths.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nothing ridiculuous about that. The move Leipzig made from Rangnick to Nagelsmann was quite similar to the potential move from Rangnick to ten Hag and it was successful.
It'll actually help ten Hag (assuming it's him) if Rangnick can transition the team to become more consistent in playing the game in the oppositions half, which is a shared principle between both men. They both also place heavy emphasis on verticality, which is another commonality between both men.

I don't see a big difference between either coach, apart from a few nuances, which shouldn't be a problem to overcome imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.