Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For me the two stand out candidates have always been ten Hag and Luis Enrique. Both coaches have a distinctive style of play where they look to play the game in the opponents half, both in offensive and defensive transitions via a compact high block, which greatly helps to control the game with or without the ball.

It wouldn't surprise me if City opt for Enrique, because the timing of the World Cup is 6 months before Guardiola is scheduled to leave. Enrique to City looks a real possibility imo, and his style of play is a good fit for the squad and style of play that Guardiola has implemented at City.

But we (United) need to get either ten Hag or Enrique, and with Enrique occupied with Spain until December 2022, it makes sense for ten Hag to join us and Enrique to join City imo.

Ogaranya

I don't understand these sad faces whenever Pochettino is mentioned, he or ten hag is fine to me.

Unless you guys want us to end up with Rodgers

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Is there a chance we get Pep if he leaves City? :(
Guardiola would never manage another english club, he said it numerous times already. He is a very loyal man and City is "his" club now. So no, no chance for United or Newcastle in the future for that matter..

FromTheBench

Christophe galtier doesn't get mentioned half as enough.

Terrific coach..improves players and teams wherever he goes.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Actually, Rose is 6 points behind Bayern now while BMG have done really poorly since he left. The CL showing has made a lot of people write him off.
Gladbach have done really poorly during his last half year too, so that is not a point in his favour.

KingCavani

Guardiola would never manage another english club, he said it numerous times already. He is a very loyal man and City is "his" club now. So no, no chance for United or Newcastle in the future for that matter..
He will never take on a challenge like United in any country.

We desperately need to get this appointment right. I don’t think we have any more room for bad decisions. 9 years without challenging already, Newcastle etc on the rise.

Looks likely that we might finish outside top 4 too so transfer funds will be smaller. It’s vital the next manager is not a cheque book manager, we can no longer afford to go down that route (literally can’t afford to compete with Man City on transfers with our debt repayments and dividends).

We need someone in the mould of a Klopp who can turn water to wine. I would prefer to take the chance of Ten Haag. Pochetino didn’t do a bad job in the premier league but he never competed.

Reactions: oates

Josh 76

We desperately need to get this appointment right. I don’t think we have any more room for bad decisions. 9 years without challenging already, Newcastle etc on the rise.

Looks likely that we might finish outside top 4 too so transfer funds will be smaller. It’s vital the next manager is not a cheque book manager, we can no longer afford to go down that route (literally can’t afford to compete with Man City on transfers with our debt repayments and dividends).

We need someone in the mould of a Klopp who can turn water to wine. I would prefer to take the chance of Ten Haag. Pochetino didn’t do a bad job in the premier league but he never competed.
Neve competed for what?

Neve competed for what?
Never competed for any trophy, not just the premier league. He got to champs league final but they didn’t even come close in that game.

Yes he had absolutely no budget to work with but he did have prime Harry Kane. Brendan Rogers managed to get Liverpool within one slip of winning the league with Suarez.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he did a brilliant job there and of course he over achieved with them relative to not being given any transfer budget. However, for me he didn’t ever prove he’s a winner. Even if he had won an FA cup then it would have shown he can coach players above their level and actually compete in finals. He’s not exactly tearing it up with PSG. Still a top manager, just not the best of the best which is what I feel we need.

AneRu

Great post, captures the challenges we face. We can't go toe to toe with City and Newcastle financially so we need a manager that can give us that edge. Poch doesn't look like he ever had it in him because, no matter how cheaply Spurs got their players, they had a bloody good team during his stay there and he never challenged for anything. With Newcastle, City and Chelsea we won't have the luxury to be financially competitive so we practically need a magician. Ten Hag so far looks like one.

Then there is one person I'd go for if Ten Hag turns us down, Potter at Brighton. He has got a team of that stature playing in the PL and going toe to toe on the pitch against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool. He won't be on many people's lists but I will have him over most candidates sorely for the style he has been able to implement.

JohnnyLaw

Finishing outside of top 4 never seemed to hurt our spending before, the most we’ve spent in the market has consistently been when we’ve missed out on top 4-

14/15, 16/17, 17/18, 19/20- are the only seasons where we’ve streatched beyond 150m.

With the squad we have there really shouldn’t be any need for major outlays on players anyways.

AneRu

Finishing outside of top 4 never seemed to hurt our spending before, the most we’ve spent in the market has consistently been when we’ve missed out on top 4-

14/15, 16/17, 17/18, 19/20- are the only seasons where we’ve streatched above 150m.

With the squad we have there really shouldn’t be any need for major outlays on players anyways.
It depends on who we view for our midfield solution. If it includes Rice then we need to spend a lot more because just getting a DM without a creative CM and RB won't cut it. We also haven't taken any credible steps to get our young CMs ready to contribute at first team level. If we could get a DM in the £40m range, get Tielemans and a RB in the same range we could accomplish a lot with £120m.

Then for next season we just need to let the front line evolve (assuming CR7 fecks off in the summer) and Rashy returns to form. We just need to let that forward line grow organically and it will reach the level we expect soon especially if the midfield clicks.

JohnnyLaw

It depends on who we view for our midfield solution. If it includes Rice then we need to spend a lot more because just getting a DM without a creative CM and RB won't cut it. We also haven't taken any credible steps to get our young CMs ready to contribute at first team level. If we could get a DM in the £40m range, get Tielemans and a RB in the same range we could accomplish a lot with £120m.

Then for next season we just need to let the front line evolve (assuming CR7 fecks off in the summer) and Rashy returns to form. We just need to let that forward line grow organically and it will reach the level we expect soon especially if the midfield clicks.
Hypothetically though, it wouldn’t be far fetched that If Ten Hag were to come in that we could see Donny given a bigger role with the added possibility of bringing in Mazraoui on a free which could sort two of those issues out for free, which would leave us with only the DM position as our focal point of interest in the market.

AneRu

Hypothetically though, it wouldn’t be far fetched that If Ten Hag were to come in that we could see Donny given a bigger role with the added possibility of bringing in Mazraoui on a free which could sort two of those issues out for free, which would leave us with only the DM position as our focal point of interest in the market.
I think Donny's head is too far gone to be of any use here.

Lee565

Is there a reason why potter get's so easily dismissed as a real option when he hasn't done too much of a dissimilar job to what potchettino was doing at Southampton who was a favourite amongst united fans of who they would have liked to have seen appointed manager of our club around that LvG era.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is there a reason why potter get's so easily dismissed as a real option when he hasn't done too much of a dissimilar job to what potchettino was doing at Southampton who was a favourite amongst united fans of who they would have liked to have seen appointed manager of our club around that LvG era.
Poch did great work with Spurs which you've missed

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think that's what he meant, many would have taken Poch after Southampton stint, so why not Potter after his Brighton stint.

I would love if we hire Potter, he is easily in top 5 managers that i would love at ManUtd.

Lee565

I'm talking about when he was at Southampton and there was a feeling amongst a lot of the United fan base being gutted to miss out in hiring potchettino instead of seeing go to spurs

croadyman

I'm talking about when he was at Southampton and there was a feeling amongst a lot of the United fan base being gutted to miss out in hiring potchettino instead of seeing go to spurs
Yeah IF we got the Poch at Southampton or Spurs pre 2019 then might feel different

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I hear all sorts of issues regarding PSG's current playing style under Poch but, for people who have watched them consistently, is it really that bad/scrappy ?

Must say though, I would be underwhelmed by his appointment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think that's what he meant, many would have taken Poch after Southampton stint, so why not Potter after his Brighton stint.

I would love if we hire Potter, he is easily in top 5 managers that i would love at ManUtd.
Ah I understand. I dont think thatl happen because the ask at United will be even greater than that of say, Spurs. Potter is a very good manager though we dont know if his level is a tad lower than that of United for the time being. Rodgers was fantastic for Swansea and no one likes him now.

I think managers will grow just like players do, and both Rodgers, Poch and Potter would go on to realize silverware & big appointments eventually. Its just a matter of getting these types when they are ready for such a role.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Potter hasn't played for a big club nor managed one. He hasn't experienced big players. He has no CL experience. He would never get the respect of this group of players in a million years.

Non starter.

Judas

Open to offers
The thought of Potter trying to have any sense of control over our toxic sludge squad is quite honestly comical. Not without a clear out of the bad apples first. Much rather him than Poch though.

roonster09

Scout
The thought of Potter trying to have any sense of control over our toxic sludge squad is quite honestly comical. Not without a clear out of the bad apples first. Much rather him than Poch though.
Do we have 25 toxic players or are all the noise made by 2-3 players who aren't playing?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Potter hasn't played for a big club nor managed one. He hasn't experienced big players. He has no CL experience. He would never get the respect of this group of players in a million years.

Non starter.
And in return Potter, or any manager, will never respect them.

roonster09

Scout

Non starter.
Nagelsmann didn't play for big club, he didn't manage big club either. He walked into team of champions who have won 7-8 league titles in a row, couple of CL titles. Did he get respect from Bayern squad?

roonster09

Scout
I doubt its that many obviously, but at this point, who knows? I very much don't think its that many. But it feels like it's enough of the key members to be causing damage.
Going by the leaks, the damage is done by the fringe players who barely make the squad. Even a laughable report that "Few ManUtd players think Lingard deserves a chance". Million dollar question, who might have fed that info.

Anyways, like Carragher said, these things are never as bad as they made to look like. 2-3 unhappy players feeds something to journalists and they make it sound as if whole squad is against manager.

Potter is a risk but just can't help but admire his work at Brighton.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Ten Hag is very good, obviously. However, I think there’s a really high chance he gets eaten alive with all the issues in the squad and Murtough and Fletcher pretty much flashing their own inexperience around. I don’t think he’s a De Boer or Koeman at all but he’s been working in a steady and structured environment, with players who are used to being trained properly. He’ll need Murtough to do his job and start shifting players in and out quickly it seems to me but that’s easier said than done. At least some contracts are running out.

Last edited:

Lee565

Non starter.
Do we even want those type of players at the club anyway? it just screams unprofessionalism and they will likely just down tools at some point when things ain't going their way no matter the manager, you don't see those type of premaddonna's at liverpool and even city.

Judas

Open to offers
Do we even want those type of players at the club anyway? it just screams unprofessionalism and they will likely just down tools at some point when things ain't going their way no matter the manager, you don't see those type of premaddonna's at liverpool and even city.
Silly examples when those two clubs have probably the two top managers in world football. They're going to be respected by players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nagelsmann didn't play for big club, he didn't manage big club either. He walked into team of champions who have won 7-8 league titles in a row, couple of CL titles. Did he get respect from Bayern squad?
Managed a fairly big club in the CL though.

And don't compare Potter to Nagelsmann ffs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So let's take a risk on an unproven manager and sign a whole new squad then???

roonster09

Scout
Managed a fairly big club in the CL though.

And don't compare Potter to Nagelsmann ffs.
I didn't set the filters.

If someone says manager shouldn't be appointed without any experience and someone replies with "Pep Was appointed" that doesn't mean it's a comparison, it's an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.