Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

USREDEVIL

Enrique has a contract with Spain until 2024 as far as I know so people shouldn't assume he is walking away from them after the WC.

Some of the above posts are very against waiting for Enrique, don't necessarily agree with that as waiting for the right man is better than appointing the wrong one now. Enrique over Ten Haag for me. Ten Haag very unproven at highest level, he has a huge air of flavour of the month about him.
I like Enrique too. So you're proposing to keep Ralf on as manager until Enrique comes?

Rolaholic

Conflicting reports on Enrique today, he was saying he's fully committed to Spain for the world cup now this...

Tyrion

Man this is such a crap point. I was very vocal early on about wanting Ole sacked, and I believed that Poch should have been our manager post Mourinho. At that time he was arguably our best option for the role. That was in 2019. We are now quarter way through 2022. Things have changed since then. During that time we have seen Poch at a top club and have seen what he brings to the table.

No one is saying Poch is a crap manager. He is a very good manager. If he was to come here it's highly likely we would, at the very least, consolidate our position within the top 4. I can't speak for everyone but for myself where Poch falls short most of all is that he isn't by his very nature a manager who champions attacking, dominating football. Even his Spurs team at their best, which I am assuming most people take to be his best work, were a gritty hard working team, but they were never a dominant team that would blow you away in the way that a Klopp or Pep team would. I watched a decent amount of them as they were among the better teams in the league then, and they were never an entertaining team.

Most United fans are just fed up with managers who play pragmatic, football without a clearly defined style of play, which is what we've gotten with all our managers post SAF, with the exception of LVG. We've now had six straight years of that with Jose and Ole, managers who go out there first to not lose, then try to win. This is why you see names like Potter being favored, because even a manager like him goes out and tries to play positive football and take the game to the opposition. If you read what the PSG fans have to say about Poch, there is no positive or clearly defined style of play, rather just a pragmatic approach and relying on their star quality to bail them out. That was my assessment of his Spurs team as well, albeit they were a more coherent unit than his PSG appears to be, but the approach remains the same.

All it boils down to is that we want someone who will entertain us and play good football. There are managers out there for whom that is their defining quality. That is not the case with Poch. And it certainly has nothing to do with Ole. And lastly, before anyone tries to talk about Tuchel at PSG, that's an inaccurate comparison for two reasons. Firstly, Tuchel's PSG played good football by all accounts of the PSG fans, and secondly Tuchel's Dortmund were great to watch as well.
Just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to a lot of United fans. Back when Ole was the manager, Poch was pretty harshly criticised by a lot of people here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Enrique would be my choice but I'd be very happy with ten Hag, I'd be less happy with Poch.

Mainoldo

Enrique my first choice. But already accepted it wasn’t a possibility and we should never wait until after the World Cup.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Luckhurst saying that he'd be surprised if ten Hag doesn't get the job. Pochettino, he says was a front runner in November but things have changed since.

RedDevilRoshi

In Enrique's case waiting for the City job would seem a no brainer. Suited to the squad he'd inherit and the timing lines up if Pep is leaving at the end of next season.
That’s what I think is going to happen. Perfect replacement for Pep.

My 1st choice is ETH but Enrique is a very close 2nd.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Luckhurst saying that he'd be surprised if ten Hag doesn't get the job. Pochettino, he says was a front runner in November but things have changed since.
He sucks his own arse so much, doesnt he.

He said PSG made a mistake not getting Zidane but wasnt it reported he rejected them?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Strange take on someone who’s been getting it right lately.
Its not a strange take. Hes gotten it right on United more than just lately but hes always been an immense dickhead. These aren't mutually exclusive statements.

And his knowledge is credible on United matters. Not on PSG matters and their own managerial pursuits. So for him to call it a sliding doors moment isnt exactly credible.

Foxbatt

Enrique has won at Barca and with that team most managers would have won something at Barca. But he has not built a team and that is what is needed at United. He did not do it at Roma either. So to me ETH fits the bill a lot more than Enrique. As for Poch we should forget about him. even Ranieri is better than him.

croadyman

Knew it wasn’t good but, that is truly awful. Not having the wool pulled over my eyes by the club on this one.
Yeah FFS Utd board are you utterly blind to how bad his record is against the big six at Spurs

croadyman

Enrique my first choice. But already accepted it wasn’t a possibility and we should never wait until after the World Cup.
Yeah would be delighted with Enrique or Ten Hag, however convinced he's a man of his word regarding managing Spain in Qatar

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm not sure about Enrique. Hasn't he had some pretty poor spells as manager? I know you perhaps shouldn't downplay his achievements but he won with a well oiled, elite team at Barca that was built not by him and was already dominant.

I think because Spain played some nice football at the Euros that has lifted his stock a bit, but you just know we'd be nothing like managing prime Barca or Spain. And he's not proven he can take on that challenge. In fact I'd say both ETH and Poch are more proven in that sense. I'd prefer either to him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not sure about Enrique. Hasn't he had some pretty poor spells as manager? I know you perhaps shouldn't downplay his achievements but he won with a well oiled, elite team at Barca that was built not by him and was already dominant.
The bold part in particular I am quite sure is very false.

He took over an underachieving Barcelona side under the previous manager who only mustered a Copa Del Rey or so in 2 years.

He took them to win a treble, the only manager aside from Pep in a long time at least to achieve that.

As Barcelona manager he won Copa Del Rey every season, La Liga twice, Champions League and of course the club world cup.

Taking a look at his previous stint with Celta its also very impressive. One season there, they finished near the bottom 3 the year before he came and finished 9th in his campaign.

Of course it is also fair to say he revitalised Spain during his time there.

Real Name

But but but the board is waiting for Pochettino!!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Enrique has won at Barca and with that team most managers would have won something at Barca. But he has not built a team and that is what is needed at United. He did not do it at Roma either. So to me ETH fits the bill a lot more than Enrique. As for Poch we should forget about him. even Ranieri is better than him.
Agreed. We need someone who has shown the capability of building a team, and ETH is the one that fits that bill more than Luis Enrique.

Mainoldo

I think because Spain played some nice football at the Euros that has lifted his stock a bit, but you just know we'd be nothing like managing prime Barca or Spain. And he's not proven he can take on that challenge. In fact I'd say both ETH and Poch are more proven in that sense. I'd prefer either to him.
He managed Roma for a season and was rubbish. But I think it was his first gig. Eitherway you can’t have it both ways. We can’t moan at managers for not doing nothing. Then moan at managers for doing something.

If what he did at Barca was so easy why wasn’t it replicated? It’s that Zidane logic again.

romufc

This thread has lost it mind. Absolute rubbish tweets from rubbish journos and rag back pages, and everyone exploding like it'd all factual.

Simple fact is ETH has a contract with Ajax, and they are currently in the middle of a tight title race so not a case of we can just go get him. And if the deal already done, it will most defo be hush until Ajax wrap up their season.

If it ends up not him, and this whole process has been a shitshow then ok moan, but let's at least wait to that happens and everybody stop pissing the pants any time a hack tweets shite :lol:
Exactly, why do people think that hiring a manager who is in a title race is easy? Why would Ajax want to disrupt their season?

We end up moaning before anything has happened.

Elcabron

I like Enrique too. So you're proposing to keep Ralf on as manager until Enrique comes?
Yeah why not I think. Surely Enrique can manage to have a few discussions with the club now in terms of who he wants in and who he wants sold ahead of taking over in January..... assuming he wants it of course, he might not.

Obviously Spain won't be happy but I'm sure that side of it could be managed. Ralph seems flexible and intelligent enough to perhaps beging shaping the team and playing style now to how Enrique would want it to make the transition a bit smoother.

I'm sure it won't happen but I see no reason why we couldn't do that if Enrique wanted it enough. I'm not completely against Ten Haag but I think his inexperience of managing a really big club won't help, he is a huge risk, Enrique less so I think and worth waiting 6 months for.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Enrique would be good, but we can't wait until after the WC. I think there would have to be a serious transition plan if he could even be considered.

ShinjiNinja26

Enrique is a non starter. It’s Ten Hag or bust for me, already prepping myself for the prospect of Pochettino coming in though which will be incredibly disappointing to say the least.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Money is not the most important thing for many people. Just because Utd pay high salaries does not mean that everyone wants to join them. Some people want to achieve something that they can be proud of, and let's be honest, Utd doesn't offer that. Every move the Glazers make is to appease the fans on the short term rather than strive for trophies.

I don't really think it matters who Utd bring in. They need to renovate the stadium, develop a management structure that doesn't make eveyone laugh, get a grip on recruitment, chose a playing style and get control of the player's wages. Any manager coming in will need to deal with a massive commercial machine who have shown that they don't have a clue about football. Really, what upcoming genuinely ambitious manager would want the job?

Flexdegea

Money is not the most important thing for many people. Just because Utd pay high salaries does not mean that everyone wants to join them. Some people want to achieve something that they can be proud of, and let's be honest, Utd doesn't offer that. Every move the Glazers make is to appease the fans on the short term rather than strive for trophies.

I don't really think it matters who Utd bring in. They need to renovate the stadium, develop a management structure that doesn't make eveyone laugh, get a grip on recruitment, chose a playing style and get control of the player's wages. Any manager coming in will need to deal with a massive commercial machine who have shown that they don't have a clue about football. Really, what upcoming genuinely ambitious manager would want the job?

Love these posts ,

why would anyone want this job, just burn the club down its total shite because a Rangers fan who now supporting SEVCO thinks so :lol:

The 76k stadium is a total hindrance now,.......the 76k fans who make the trip won't come any more, it's not making money no more

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Love these posts ,

why would anyone want this job, just burn the club down its total shite because a Rangers fan who now supporting SEVCO thinks so :lol:
Instead of putting words on my mouth why don't you try and post something reasonable.

MUFC OK

Enrique is a non starter. It’s Ten Hag or bust for me, already prepping myself for the prospect of Pochettino coming in though which will be incredibly disappointing to say the least.
Seeing Neville, Butt and Rio stating that Poch is their choice doesn’t look good imo. It’s exactly how the club would try to frame his appointment in a palatable way to us fans.

I also choose to believe reports that he his SAFs choice due to the noise around that.

i think this will continue to drift, with Poch eventually being interviewed and appointed, probs all to do with PSG’s stance currently.

The opinion of Rangnick and the fans will certainly come second the that of club legends and SAF. Until we let go of the past we are stuck and I expect that to continue with the Poch appointment.

Lemon Moon

Brutal but honest. Thank you for your candor.

MUFC OK

Actually, the manager just needs to focus on the football side of things - style of play, philosophy etc. The commercial heads can stick to the other stuff.

I think an underrated problem of ours is the likes of SAF still having influence, former players wanting an 'in' on what's going on and a say in the future of the club etc. They all know what the atmosphere is like in the club, who are the troublemakers in the dressing room etc.

Liverpool only managed to move on to a new era when they grasped this.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
[
Actually, the manager just needs to focus on the football side of things - style of play, philosophy etc. The commercial heads can stick to the other stuff.

I think an underrated problem of ours is the likes of SAF still having influence, former players wanting an 'in' on what's going on and a say in the future of the club etc. They all know what the atmosphere is like in the club, who are the troublemakers in the dressing room etc.

Liverpool only managed to move on to a new era when they grasped this.
These things are all inter-linked. I don't see how any manager can achieve something at Utd if the focus of the club is not football success.

I do agree that Ferguson and ex-players have proved themselves to be utterly hopeless at providing direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.