Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

Ole needed to go but just cant see who is out there for the interim even. Someone needs to take over short term and have a huge win rate to get us top 4 and maybe a cup run. And long term who is going to go toe to toe with Klopp, Pep and Tuchel? Lots of people tout ten haag but hes never managed in the PL and works in a one horse league. Just as likely to be a Frank De Boer than a success. Feel like we will be back here before too long
The Dutch league isn't a one horse league btw.

Godfather

Letting Ronaldo choose the coach would be extremely unwise. Much as I admire his skills as a finisher and his passion for winning, his narcissism and ego are so huge they are visible from space. He will want a coach who benefits FC Ronaldo.
Couldn't disagree more

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That may be, but he can’t make the decision to change the coaches, that’s not his job.

We don’t know if he was implementing what Ole wanted him to implement or it was his ideas that were crap.

Just got to wait and see what happens in these next two matches until an interim is appointed
When did I suggest Carrick was in charge of hiring/fireing the coaching team.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This is long, but the takeaway is that we should hire a fashionable young hipster coach right now for the rest of the year, someone who won't turn it down because the job is just too exciting to turn down and will back themselves to do it.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-manager-odds-for-2002.467165/

This thread reminded me that if we can't get Pep or Klopp, it's as likely that someone logical like Rodgers or Ten Hag looks like a terrible appointment in a few years.

Here's what I wrote in 2014 on this forum:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/van...u-about-this-appointment.391013/post-15717637

Looking back, any of Klopp, Simeone or Rodgers would have been much better than what we'd done but I think everyone wanted Klopp so no points there and Simeone had just won the league so honestly no points there.

Pochettino from Southampton, that was a good call, but sadly looking at stats this time around doesn't really bring as obvious as name.

(https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/possession/squads/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats)

There's not really a Southampton and the only team that really sticks out is Atalanta and I think most people already think Gasperini probably tactically the best option but he doesn't want the job and seems to piss off everyone and the club won't consider him.

Bielsa would have been a delight, we should genuinely have done this, even if it would have been insane the young players would have improved and we'd have saved money on meh transfers and could have bought a couple massive stars instead of a bunch of weird flaccid Schneiderlin 30M buys once Bielsa fell in love with like Daley Blind as a CB and Wilf Zaha on the wing.

De Boer haha yikes. He was coming off 4 league titles in a row which is impressive even if it's Ajax.

Garcia would have failed, he's a decent manager but seems to have nothing special about him and he's too defensive. He shows that you can take 2 clubs up, win the league with the 3rd or 4th best squad but never evolve and be a solid 7/10 guy, which is probably what will happen with my next name.

So back to now, and the 2 weird left field choices the club will never consider but I'd like to see them give the rest of the season as a trial instead of just having Carrick and Fletcher coach while spending the time trying to figure out if the fans would accept Brendan Rodgers, trying but fail to get Zidane on the phone and trying to somehow invent a time machine that could let them see if England win the World Cup and if so give the job to Gareth Southgate but definitely not do so if he doesn't but also not wait until after the World Cup to appoint a manager based ultimately on if Antonio Conte improves Harry Kane

Koln - Steffan Baumgart -
He plays 2 up front, 4 at the back but they seem to deny the other team from getting the ball up the pitch fairly well and he's playing a fair amount of the 4-1-3-2 formation (previously only seen on Fifa by teenages and whenever England's 66 Cup winning formation went out of style?) that Celta Vigo also use and actually suits us, particularly if Pogba stays. 2 straight promotions for Paderborn before they went back down but they had no business in the Bundesliga surely. Only 49. We could do dumber things than hiring a young Bundesliga manager. We will never consider this.

Slavia Prague - Jindřich Trpišovský
He gets compared to Klopp for playing high intensity football but he went to the Nou Camp with Slavia Prague players and somehow got a draw by cutting Sacchi's 25 metres between defence and attack rule in half and throwing out this somehow perfectly logical insanity:

and then switched to 3 at the back against Sevilla when his players couldn't handle Sevilla's press and got another draw.

He won the double last year, and also in 2018-19 and the league the next year so that's 5/6 possible trophies in the last 3 years. They're 2nd this year by a point but first in goal difference and set to go through to the Europa League knockouts again, where they made the quarter-finals last year and lost to Arsenal after beating Leicester and Rangers and then getting a 1-1 draw in London before his team collapsed and lost 4-0 but again he didn't have a player who would have made the Arsenal team (though his best 2 players might have made their bench).

Soucek and Coufal improved massively under him to became Prem quality starting players and the Czech nation only has one more of those for sure in Patrick Schick, so seems able to develop a player. He brought Coufal with him from his old club and Soucek was a young player not yet starting before he got there, so not really luck either most likely.

Only 45!

TLDR: This managerial appointment will be like a 40M Euro range buy from that 2014 season where really the guy is slightly less likely than not to be not good enough, which is to say managerial versions of Ander Herrera to United (okay but not really for manager), Lukaku to Everton (sure), Shaw to United (again okay but not really a home run) or Eliaquim Mangala to City (this is if we'd hired De Boer).

So since it's probably about 60-70% likely to fail, we should get 2 bites at the apple by hiring a young tactician who's done well so far instead of just wasting the year. If he's good enough to make it a tough choice between keeping him or not, that's actually a good thing, even if the owners would probably hate it.
Great post and I agree with the logic. This is the sort of thinking we would be utilizing if we were competing. Get a young hungry talent and see how it plays out for more than half a season.

And worst case it fails then prepare for the change in the summer anyways. The Slavia Prague manager sounds very interesting.

My list is now Zidane, Ten Hag, Enrique and Gallardo but he could be an interesting option.

Xaviboy

I would have assumed there was no chance he'd leave Spain before the WC but if he was available he'd tick pretty much every box. His teams play excellent football and he's won trophies at the highest level.
World Cup could end up being every 2 years so plenty of time to do it with spain in the future. The challenge to get utd back to the top would be more appealing and working with players day to day on the training ground and get us playing with style if football the players can follow.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Zidane really would be a Woodward style appointment and a disaster in the making imo.
I think Zidane at Manchester United would be an absolute train wreck.
I disagree, Zidane is the only manager proven at the very top (Pep, Klopp) level available, it’d be idiotic not to at least make a case to bring him in.

Skills

Snitch
He was my #1 choice. If he wants the job then pull out the stops.
Really poor record with getting some of Barcelona's youth players through though. It was one of the reasons barca fans never took to him.

Though it feels our youth systems a bit of a curse. Imagine if our next manager comes in and just snaps that record from 1937 of having an academy player in the matchday squad.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Zidane isn't a tactician. We urgently need someone to come in and actually give us a game plan. Zidane is a man manager who is good at getting the best out of individuals. We already had a good man manager. We could do with someone who can teach us how to defend as a unit first of all.
Ridiculous take, Real Madrid conceded 1 more goal than the notoriously well drilled and defensive AM over the last 2 seasons.

Yet somehow Zidane doesn’t know how to organize a defence?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
When did I suggest Carrick was in charge of hiring/fireing the coaching team.
You said he oversaw it, which would imply that he has some sort of power, you only oversee things in a leadership/management type of role

Yakuza_devils

Whoever it's going to be, rule No.1, no more 3 years rebuild bs. Good manager can implement style of play almost immediately.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You said he oversaw it, which would imply that he has some sort of power, you only oversee things in a leadership/management type of role
He oversaw first-team coaching mate, not recruitment, that is not at all what I was suggesting.

There have been multiple stories coming out critical of training and the methods that the coaches use he's responsible as the first-team coach. He should be moved on once the eventual successor to Ole is found.

lsd

The Oracle

I know very little about him other than was he fired at the world Cup as Spain Manager for agreeing to take the Real Madrid job then totally flopped at that job?

Rolaholic

Enrique would be a left field appointment but a very credible one, he's one of the better tacticians in the game and is responsible for the best Barca side and football of the Messi era not under Guardiola. He's also remade Spain into a very dangerous team on the international front again after a few years of stagnation prior to him once their golden generation aged out.

Apparently he also speaks English and has had interest in the Premier League before.

It's a signing I could get behind along with Ten Hag and ZZ. Anyone else and I'll be disappointed honestly. Especially if we wait around until the summer for the likes of Rodgers or Pochettino

Cal?

CR7 fan
What gives you this assumption?

He knows nothing about English football and his Madrid side weren’t ever super consistent in La Liga even with the crazy stacked squad they had.

I rate Klopp and especially Guardiola a lot higher. I don’t think Zidane comes close to either as a tactician or philosopher of football.

Apart from he’s more famous as a person which might bring us some nice players I guess.
His RM side won La Liga in twice in 4 full seasons he was manager and finished a close 2nd last season, all of it against Messi’s Barca

lsd

The Oracle
The Dutch league isn't a one horse league btw.

Yes it is and while Ajax may be a good club that can succeed in Europe against top teams their own domestic league is pretty much garbage.

That's my doubt about Ten Haag I can't give him credit for winning that league and I just can't be sure of his results in the Champions League at this point either

McUnited

I disagree, Zidane is the only manager proven at the very top (Pep, Klopp) level available, it’d be idiotic not to at least make a case to bring him in.
Zidane’s footballing style is apparently to give players lots of freedom and his management comes more in the form of learning about them as people rather than footballers. This seems to be a reflection of how he would like to managed himself being the genius footballer that he was. I don’t think such a approach would work here. Definitely don’t want!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Koln - Steffan Baumgart -
He plays 2 up front, 4 at the back but they seem to deny the other team from getting the ball up the pitch fairly well and he's playing a fair amount of the 4-1-3-2 formation (previously only seen on Fifa by teenages and whenever England's 66 Cup winning formation went out of style?) that Celta Vigo also use and actually suits us, particularly if Pogba stays. 2 straight promotions for Paderborn before they went back down but they had no business in the Bundesliga surely. Only 49. We could do dumber things than hiring a young Bundesliga manager. We will never consider this.
:drool:
Finally someone else mentioning him, not just me.

I would like to add that he is not nailed to using a certain formation, he has used a lot of different setups in Paderborn and Cologne. What I like about him (and why I think he could be someone who might be able to step up to a top club) is, that he is always thinking about how to win. He makes a plan how his team can score (and therefore ultimately win), and than tweaks it for defensive stability. That is a different approach to most managers of lower/mid-table teams, who often are happy to sit back and play for a draw, or simply for "damage control" against top teams. Never works, just makes you look stupid most of the time.

His Cologne team for example so far was the only team to come back from two goals down against Bayern this season (other teams scored against them, but always on the counter and rarely when Bayern were not forced to play for the next goal). They still lost (in the end it is a squad that was almost relegated before he took over), but they proved they are mentally and tactically able to cope with such situations. A Baumgart team will always try to score the next goal, no matter if they are 5-0 up or 0-5 down.

McUnited

Jorge Mendes’ choice, the media’s choice, Ronaldo’s choice of manager…. what about just sticking to Man Utd’s choice? What a joke of a recruitment process.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jorge Mendes’ choice, the media’s choice, Ronaldo’s choice of manager…. what about just sticking to Man Utd’s choice? What a joke of a recruitment process.
To be fair, man utd choice is Ed Woodward choice. It doesn’t sound good either :lol:

Trophy Room

No doubt they’ll get this appointment wrong again. Won’t be surprised by a Rogers type signing. It’s got to be Ten Hag.

NewUser777

Only two options with our squad (unless we want to start over from the job Ole begun)
Ten Hag and Zidane. Don’t care if we have to wait until summer, as long as we continue the job.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really poor record with getting some of Barcelona's youth players through though. It was one of the reasons barca fans never took to him.

Though it feels our youth systems a bit of a curse. Imagine if our next manager comes in and just snaps that record from 1937 of having an academy player in the matchday squad.
I'm not sure what options he had at Barca when it comes to promoting youth. But I do remember he adapted his play style after the decline of Xavi and Iniesta due to age and implemented a direct fast transition play style to make best use of MSN to great effect. He's also someone that comes across as a great motivator and is very demanding.

He's also brought through a number of young players currently through to the Spanish NT which bodes well for bringing through the youth. But the youth have to be good enough which is important.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Couldn't disagree more
If you said why that was wrong then that would be disagreeing more.

Ronaldo's narcissism is so huge it has been detected by the space telescopes of advanced alien species in other parts of the galaxy. In fact it's why they don't come here as they fear its gravitational pull will rip them to shred in the heart of its pitch black singularity from which no light can escape.

Poch may well feel the same way.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i suppose the main job of the next manager, at least till the end of the season is going to be what style and players function best with Ronaldo. What ever we think of that situation, that is the situation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Someone here described him as the Spanish Moyes, which sounds eerily accurate when you look at this career trajectory. I'm sure we could do better.

Also Mendes can feck off.
Just because it was recommended by Mendes means feck all. He would be a decent appointment. Knowing our management, we could do worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.