Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Right. I guess they learned their lesson, when they are bringing in someone who won't do that again.
If Pochs signs then it means that he had failed in winning the CL which in turn means that all he won was some random titles in the Farmer's league. So we've be having a nearly 50 year old whose been sacked at Spurs and PSG, who won nothing impressive, who seems struggling working under DOFs and would probably sack the coaches Rangnick had signed. What can possibly go wrong?

Greck

If Pochs signs then it means that he had failed in winning the CL which in turn means that all he won was some random titles in the Farmer's league. So we've be having a nearly 50 year old whose been sacked at Spurs and PSG, who won nothing impressive and who seems struggling working under DOFs. What can possibly go wrong?
This standard is too much. Pep hasn't even won the CL with City yet and he's considered the best. It's fine to not respect Ligue 1 but it's a totally different stretch to say one failed because of no CL trophy in 2 attempts. Setting a CL title as the minimum is a ridiculously high standard to present his time with PSG as a complete failure. Was Tuchel also a failure?

hobbers

Pretty sure if Poch wins the CL with PSG it'd make him even more likely to bail out of there for the United job, if offered.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This standard is too much. Pep hasn't even won the CL with City yet and he's considered the best. It's fine to not respect Ligue 1 but it's a totally different stretch to say one failed because of no CL trophy in 2 attempts. Setting a CL title as the minimum is a ridiculously high standard to present his time with PSG as a complete failure. Was Tuchel also a failure?
Look mate I had zero problems with Pochs replacing Ole. In fact he was one of my favourites to do that.

However the situation changes with Rangnick at the wheel.

A- Rangnick has a style of game. Pochs style is similar but not exactly the same.
B- Pochs hate having people above him. At United he'll have 2 including Rangnick whose not known to be very compromising.
C- Rangnick will bring in some of his people with him while United already have their own coaching staff. Pochs will want to bring his own people in which means that it would probably irk both Rangnick and Fletcher. Do you think that Fletch would love telling Carricky and Phelany to feck off? Do you think that the club would love firing so many people to accommodate someone from PSG and Spurs dust bin? I much doubt it.
D- Ten Hag will have VDS blessing, he doesn't have issues working with DOFs and seem to work with other people's staff. He's also the man most fans want.

I think that Pochs and Rangnick will be overkill. We'll probably go for someone who is more of a future Nagelsmann who'll grow under Rangnick wings

Last edited:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I shudder every time I hear/read Rodgers name linked with the managerial post at United.
I’m hoping every time his name gets tagged-on the end of a list of candidates that it’s just a British hack trying to get a UK name into the conversation, or do Rodgers/his agent a favour.

AussieDevil

Any frequent Bundesliga followers able to explain what kind of manager Hutter is ?

Does he have what it takes to succeed at a big club?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've written a long winded post on Hutter, Seoane and Arne Slot in another thread. I'll bump said thread and tag the poster in question.

Gladbach also lost in the derby today, so a disappointing day for Hutter and the Foals.

criticalanalysis

Looking forward to the 10 min cinematic level, documentary, montage, farewell 'THANKS ETH' video when he joins us in the summer with a front and centre page pull out in the national paper :drool:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Already posted this in the Rangnick thread, but probably fits better here:

DAZN Germany has a video series called "decoding" with Rangnick. In one of the recent videos he talks about PSG and Pochettino who he calls one of the most exciting coaches in Europe. Also says it's a difficult job where you don't have as much power as at other clubs, so the coach has to make some compromises. He was complimentary about his Southampton and Spurs team.
It seems all the ducks are falling in line. Most journos have Poch down as first choice and ETH second, and the reports of us registering interest etc feel that way. I'd say right now it seems highly likely that Poch will come in. He probably would already be here if PSG had been willing to part ways and/or Zidane was interested in replacing him.

mav_9me

I've written a long winded post on Hutter, Seoane and Arne Slot in another thread. I'll bump said thread and tag the poster in question.

Gladbach also lost in the derby today, so a disappointing day for Hutter and the Foals.
I'll give you 3 names, with one who I feel would be more than ready to come straight into our team and the other two being Managers who we should keep a eye on. I've watched football over the years and have felt that certain Managers get chances at big clubs for not doing anything outstanding and other Managers do better but don't get the same opportunity at a big club. I've written about Marco Rose, Nageslmann in the past but the below names are probably not well known and are Managers who are either up and coming or a Manager who I feel deserves a chance at a big club.

1. Arne Slot: He's a young up and coming 42 year old coach at Feyenoord who has shown a high level of understanding of the modern game when it comes to implementation of a strategy on the pitch. His teams have been well coached in dominating the ball whilst applying aggressive pressures in a structured approached which has seen them adopt a inverted fullback strategy at times to open up extra passing options and provide defensive balance when using a single pivot at AZ Alkmaar. He's also shown the ability to organise his team when it comes to high level interchangeability where I've often seen things like a RB step into the #10 role whilst the #10 drifts towards the vacated half space on the right to maintain balance which causes confusion amongst opposition ranks due to the fluid nature and organisation of Slot's team which is very impressive due to it being very difficult/complex to implement. His teams look to dominate and control games on and off the ball in a very structured approach with offensive and defensive lines extremely well spaced, especially in offensive transition. His teams also apply pressure aggressively but the advantage he enjoys here is that his heavy emphasis on controlling possesion gives his team a rest phase and doesn't tire his team out too easily trying to win the ball back. He's someone that we should keep a eye on IMO. It seems he's taken a side ways step by joining Feyenoord from AZ, but having said that, Feyenoord are a Dutch giant that needs re-awakening, and Arne Slot is someone who may just help them do that playing a very exciting brand of football that places a heavy emphasis on possesion and verticality.

2. Gerardo Seoane: 43 year old Swiss Coach who is currently at Bayer Leverkusen is another up and coming coach who I feel we should keep a eye on. He implements a style of play that is very similar to what we see from Klopp and Marco Rose. A style that looks to impose a fast transition, high tempo/high intensity play-style with and without the ball with pressing triggers off the ball to funnel the opposition out wide to spring a pressing trap in a area where you can limit the pass options for the opposition and cause a numerical advantage in the quest to win the ball back. On the ball the aim is to transition play quickly, especially after winning the ball back, with quick, rapid, vertical passes through the lines which destroy the opposition defensive structure and create a big chance with minimal amount of passes. The issue with this style is that it can tire out teams very quickly due to there rarely being a controlled rest phase, which is something both Seoane and Rose need to evolve in their tactics/strategy to avoid burning their players out which has happened. Seoane was at Young Boys before he joined Leverkusen and had impressive results against teams like Juventus who had Ronaldo in their ranks. But he also came up against ten Hag and his Ajax team, and in that game his team's press was easily bypassed by Ajax and which resulted in their two midfielders having far too much space in midfield which meant Ajax ran out winners comfortably whilst Seoane and his team had run out of steam at the 60 minute mark against a team who broke their high press, implemented their own high press and had a controlled rest phase on the ball, which is a hallmark of ten Hag and his team's ability to control the game on the ball, similar to the less experienced Arne Slot. So this is something I feel Seoane needs to evolve at to circumvent burn out in his team by having a controlled rest phase. Klopp seems to have evolved in that regard. But Seoane is someone to keep a eye on.

3. Adi Hütter: The Austrian coach who is now 51, has been on a upward trajectory ever since he first coached the youth team at Salzburg, which followed a stint at little known altach in Austria's second tier where his exciting brand of football was the talk of the town. He got them to 3rd and 2nd in his two years there, before he took the job at Grödig and got them promoted playing a brand of football that was exciting to watch and he followed that up by getting them into Europe the following season. He was then hired by Ralf Rangnick at Red Bull Salzburg where he implemented a high tempo 4-4-2 formation which made Salzburg one of the most exciting attacking machines in Europe. He was hugely successful at Salzburg but left the club after the club kept selling players like Mane, Kampfl, keeper, forwards etc which he took isdue to. He then went and joined Young Boys Bern and the mission was to win the league which the club hadn't achieved for 30 years. In two years he ended over three decades of hurt by winning the league title with Young Boys who were perennial under achievers and called bottle jobs. And he did that by implementing a style of play which was described as 'enthralling' and he was regarded as one of the finest tacticians in the game. He also went to Frankfurt in Germany where he's revered and has had to juggle staying competitive whilst the club sell off several of the team he has developed. But even then he recovered and made Frankfurt competitive again playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch. He's currently at Gladbach which is a tough job where there's a clear ceiling on how far you can progress as a coach. But he did smash Bayern and Nagelsmann 5-0 in the Cup last week. But he's a coach that's exceeded expectations everywhere he's been. If he was Italian, he'd have multiple scudettos to his name imo. Because they give you a chance at the top clubs there.

For me the best candidates for the job are Hutter, ten Hag, Potter. Choosing one of the three would be a decision that would be the best for the club IMO.
I saw your post, so figured I'd quote it.

I feel like Adi Hutter is going to be a front runner. He has done very well so far but seems to be having issues at Monchengladbach but it's too soon. Scoring 5 goals against this Bayern is no mean feat and he has done it twice with 2 diff teams. Will have to see how it goes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I saw your post, so figured I'd quote it.

I feel like Adi Hutter is going to be a front runner. He has done very well so far but seems to be having issues at Monchengladbach but it's too soon. Scoring 5 goals against this Bayern is no mean feat and he has done it twice with 2 diff teams. Will have to see how it goes
I'd be surprised if Rangnick goes for Pochettino over some of the other options who have a strong identity in their implementation of a attacking plan and aggressive pressures off the ball.

David Ornstein has also said the reports about Pochettino being a front runner are misleading and he thinks they're being driven by intermediaries to work up a situation. According to him, United have not contacted PSG or Pochettino and will look at other candidates too.

Withnail

I'd be surprised if Rangnick goes for Pochettino over some of the other options who have a strong identity in their implementation of a attacking plan and aggressive pressures off the ball.

David Ornstein has also said the reports about Pochettino being a front runner are misleading and he thinks they're being driven by intermediaries to work up a situation. According to him, United have not contacted PSG or Pochettino and will look at other candidates too.
Well the official line won't have anyone as the front runner even if it was true. It would be a silly thing to do especially as we were talking about next Summer's appointment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well the official line won't have anyone as the front runner even if it was true. It would be a silly thing to do especially as we were talking about next Summer's appointment.
Agreed, and what Ornstein is basically saying, that reports about Pochettino being a front runner are basically not true.

Sviken

Agreed, and what Ornstein is basically saying, that reports about Pochettino being a front runner, are basically not true.
Hopefully. For once stars are aligning for us to have the perfect manager to take charge. We missed out on Klopp because of Woodward and trying for him in mid-season, we missed out on Guardiola because he already promised Munich, we got LVG and Mourinho too late and we insisted on Ole when Poch and Tuchel were available. Next summer Bayern have their manager, Barca just got Xavi, Real are content with Ancelotti, Liverpool and Chelsea have their desired managers and it seems Pep will stay at least for one year more at City, hell even Spurs got Conte now. Ten Hag's clause apparently activates next summer, he's interested and we have very good relations with Ajax. It just can't get any better. The path is completely open for us to swoop in. My only concern is our bad management fumbling this easy chance we have and insisting on another outdated option ala Mourinho/LVG. We just can't miss on this golden opportunity.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Duncan Castles via his podcast last week (When it looked like we were getting Poch) was saying that PSG wanted to get rid of Poch and were expecting United to come in and take him, and pay up the £10m, which would release him from his contract and earn PSG a easy £10m for a coach who the players feel is limited tactically.

And in yesterday's podcast, he is saying that United tried and failed to get Poch, because PSG will only allow Poch to leave on their terms, even though they feel he's lacking tactically.

There's a reason why the like of David Ornstein are amongst the very best in his field.

croadyman

Well Ornstein was the guy who along with Whitwell first broke news of the agreement on Thursday afternoon so suggest he's well sourced

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully. For once stars are aligning for us to have the perfect manager to take charge. We missed out on Klopp because of Woodward and trying for him in mid-season, we missed out on Guardiola because he already promised Munich, we got LVG and Mourinho too late and we insisted on Ole when Poch and Tuchel were available. Next summer Bayern have their manager, Barca just got Xavi, Real are content with Ancelotti, Liverpool and Chelsea have their desired managers and it seems Pep will stay at least for one year more at City, hell even Spurs got Conte now. Ten Hag's clause apparently activates next summer, he's interested and we have very good relations with Ajax. It just can't get any better. The path is completely open for us to swoop in. My only concern is our bad management fumbling this easy chance we have and insisting on another outdated option ala Mourinho/LVG. We just can't miss on this golden opportunity.
I honestly don't know who will be selected, but Rangnick has gone on record and said that the head coach's philosophy must be identifiable even when the team isn't playing well.

It's pretty easy to say that when it comes to having a identity, ten Hag along with a number of other coaches are ahead of Poch, and some on here seem to get upset, if one questions his credentials.

Pochettino is a good coach and was doing well at Espanyol, but his work at Espanyol wasn't anything special and there was a number of other coaches who were also good coaches compared to Poch, but it was Poch who was fortunate to get the opportunity to showcase his ability in the EPL.

And why I'm saying he was fortunate, is because Southampton's head of development, Les Reed was following the progress of a young Phillipe Coutinho, who was on loan to Espanyol in 2011/12 and stumbled across Pochettino, who was a coach that had shown the ability to coach a coordinated press. And Les Reed wanted to upgrade on Nigel Adkins, whose football was deemed non progressive.

Pochettino was eventually sacked from Espanyol and was brought to Southampton. The EPL at the time was way behind when it comes to implementing a strategical pressing game and he took advantage of that for both Southampton and Spurs for several years, until the likes of Guardiola, Klopp etc arrived and built up their teams and things started to get more difficult for Poch.

And now he wasn't the only one in the league who knew how to implement a pressing game at a high level but maybe a little worse both in offensive and defensive transitions compared to Klopp and Guardiola.

I'd even say that if he was in the German Bundesliga, he wouldn't stand out at all in a league where the likes of Marco Rose, Julian Nagelsmann, Ralf Rangnick, Adi Hutter, Hansi Flick, Jesse Marsch etc all plied/plying their trade, who are either at least on the same level or even better potentially IMO.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Did you mean to quote someone else, cuz I didn't say anything about Poch

croadyman

Despite rumours would be very surprised to see Ralf get the job permanently, would also mean losing out on his consultancy services. On the other hand is 6 months long enough to implement his style on the team though.

Eddy_JukeZ

Fully agree with @Adnan regarding Pochettino.

He's fallen/left behind the curve compared to other managers in how they implement attacking and defensive structures in all phases.

I'd rather take a shot on Potter or Hutter than Pochettino if we can't land Ten Hag.

croadyman

He's fallen/left behind the curve compared to other managers in how they implement attacking and defensive structures in all phases.

I'd rather take a shot on Potter or Hutter than Pochettino if we can't land Ten Hag.
Confident we are very capable of landing Ten Hag IF he's Ralf's top choice, however at the moment I think it's still Pochettino but could change over the next 6 months.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Potter is a good shout.

croadyman

I think for once I'd be happy as long as Rangnick makes the decision.

If he thinks ten Hag is the best- I hope we get him. If it's Pochettino then fair do.

Just let's keep it a single style for a whilst.
Yeah the guy has proved his credentials in selecting managers who suit his clubs style so has already earnt the trust to do that

Highfather_24

Didnt you also think we would never get Rangnick because we have Murtough?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didnt you also think we would never get Rangnick because we have Murtough?
I said I would judge Murtough on his decisions post Solskjaer and was in support of any decision he made, hence I said I hope we get Rangnick because Murtough was the one who was wanting him according to the Athletic.

Highfather_24

I said I would judge Murtough on his decisions post Solskjaer and was in support of any decision he made, hence I said I hope we get Rangnick because Murtough was the one who was wanting him according to the Athletic.
So do you think Rangnick is a good appointment? A lot of us here are in the Ten Hag camp who is more of a possession manager, and his style of play is different from Rangnick's. Do you think we will go for him, or rather for Pochetinno(considering these are the 2 front runners).

I'm just glad we didnt go for Rodgers tbh.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So do you think Rangnick is a good appointment? A lot of us here are in the Ten Hag camp who is more of a possession manager, and his style of play is different from Rangnick's. Do you think we will go for him, or rather for Pochetinno(considering these are the 2 front runners).

I'm just glad we didnt go for Rodgers tbh.
Rangnick is a potentially fantastic appointment mate. I can't speak highly enough of the decision to bring him in. I've been following his work for years now and have written quite a bit about the rise of the Red Bull clubs over the years when it comes to their blueprint.

It's gonna be interesting to see who is selected. I don't think Poch will selected but I could be wrong. I think he'll look to appoint someone with a defined way of playing the game and that could be Adi Hutter or even coaches like Potter and ten Hag, who both have a distinct ideology when it comes to playing the game.

But your guess is as good as mine, mate.

croadyman

Rangnick is a potentially fantastic appointment mate. I can't speak highly enough of the decision to bring him in. I've been following his work for years now and have written quite a bit about the rise of the Red Bull clubs over the years when it comes to their blueprint.

It's gonna be interesting to see who is selected. I don't think Poch will selected but I could be wrong. I think he'll look to appoint someone with a defined way of playing the game and that could be Adi Hutter or even coaches like Potter and ten Hag, who both have a distinct ideology when it comes to playing the game.

But your guess is as good as mine, mate.
Yeah appointing someone permanently with a defined way of playing has to be the way forward

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah appointing someone permanently with a defined way of playing has to be the way forward
I just did some digging on the type of head coach Rangnick appointed at RB Salzburg and noticed he appointed Oscar Garcia in 2015, who follows the Cruyffian principles from Barcelona. That now makes me confident he would be open to appointing ten Hag.

The link below is a interview from Oscar Garcia and he charters his career to date in coaching, and how he was interviewed 3 times by Rangnick before getting the nod from Rangnick to take the head coach's role at Salzburg.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/oscar-garcia-barcelona-johan-cruyff-brighton/

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I just did some digging on the type of head coach Rangnick appointed at RB Salzburg and noticed he appointed Oscar Garcia in 2015, who follows the Cruyffian principles from Barcelona. That now makes me confident he would be open to appointing ten Hag.

The link below is a interview from Oscar Garcia and he charters his career to date in coaching, and how he was interviewed 3 times by Rangnick before getting the nod from Rangnick to take the head coach's role at Salzburg.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/oscar-garcia-barcelona-johan-cruyff-brighton/
He also appointed Nagelsmann, so good chance we might see similar transition. From Rangnick to ten Hag.

Dembeza

He also appointed Nagelsmann, so good chance we might see similar transition. From Rangnick to ten Hag.
He does have an eye for a good coach. Whoever he appoints I’m sure will do a good job.

Being associated with him and if he is able to build a good structure means that we can have a good chance of signing the very best young coaches and not just rely on reputation

Reactions: roonster09

lenny_1248

At this point I want Ten Hag more than I want Margot Robbie.
Bring this bald magician to OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.