Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsy13

I believe Ten Hag is leading the race now. The fact he still has Ajax playing at a high level despite their best players being sold edges him out over Poch. Both would be good appointments but Ten Hag definitely has the edge at the moment.

Water Melon

I wonder if Ralf will have a real say in appointing our next manager. I hope he picks Ten Hag over Pochettino.

Lemon Moon

So many have a hard on for ETH. I'll be honest the only time I've watched his team play was in the CL when they got to the semi's.
How does he set his team up?
What are the strengths of an ETH team? & weaknesses?
Would our current team be fitting for his approach?

& is Mancini going to be available haha.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We needed someone intimidating to put the divas in place. Conte would have been perfect for this. But that ship has sailed now. Poch does not come across as that sort of a person. I thought Ralf was a hard taskmaster but evidence till now suggests he isn't. Ten Hag I don't know what sort of an aura he carries.

Lee565

So let's take a risk on an unproven manager and sign a whole new squad then???
Don't go overboard, why would we need an entirely new squad? There is only a handful of players at the club that would undermine the manager and no matter what manger comes in these type of players need to be moved because they will just continue to cause drama around the club and likely down tools when things ain5going their way. Also in terms of unproven the same could have been said about potchettino when he was at Southampton, that was the comparison I was making in relation to potter and job he has done at brighton

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't go overboard, why would we need an entirely new squad? There is only a handful of players at the club that would undermine the manager and no matter what manger comes in these type of players need to be moved because they will just continue to cause drama around the club and likely down tools when things ain5going their way. Also in terms of unproven the same could have been said about potchettino when he was at Southampton, that was the comparison I was making in relation to potter and job he has done at brighton
Not convinced Potter is who we need now at all. He will crumble under the pressure of this job. Look what it's done to much more experienced coaches.

Don't think our fans actually understand just how tough this job is at times.

wolvored

Its certainly a tough choice. Ten Hag is an unknown in a big league, Pocc is, but hasnt won anything, probably with PSG end of year. Potter is doing ok ,but hasnt managed a massive club. RR is a club builder mainly, not a big manager. Hopefully we get this one right.

choccy77

Was gonna post about the latest twitter pots.

So the board who are proven.to be useless at decision making, want Poch.

Ralf however, prefers Ten Hag.

There is no way, we should sign anyone the board thinks is the best choice.

In Ralf I trust, in this situation.

AneRu

Not convinced Potter is who we need now at all. He will crumble under the pressure of this job. Look what it's done to much more experienced coaches.

Don't think our fans actually understand just how tough this job is at times.
We haven't really hired a manager on top of their game or one on the up so you can't really make a judgement on whether it will work or not. I am not really convinced by Pochettino and am sure that he'd be the easy option for the management to pick but we will be right back to this very spot in three years time.

ShinjiNinja26

It would just be a typical United move for a bunch of bankers and businessmen to go for Poch and completely ignore the opinion of a vastly experienced football man like Ralf Rangnick. Why did they bring him in as a consultant? If not to listen to his advice on football matters as they’ve fecked up every major decision in that department over the last 8 years.

Green Arrow

It would just be a typical United move for a bunch of bankers and businessmen to go for Poch and completely ignore the opinion of a vastly experienced football man like Ralf Rangnick. Why did they bring him in as a consultant? If not to listen to his advice on football matters as they’ve fecked up every major decision in that department over the last 8 years.
I'm hoping Arnold steps in here and speaks some sense into the board and tells them to take Ralfs recommendation for the next manager.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hopefully Ralf wins this battle
The board will be looking at bringing ETH in will mean ripping the squad apart, which it should be. Their record of selling is pathetic. Poch will work with what we have and a couple of signings. He will be happy he is here with our lovely lethargic squad. The top sides work their socks off, which is why we have not won anything of note for years. We get outworked by teams with nowhere near the talent we have. You hear some older fans saying United won stuff without pressing, bollocks, I remember them closing down and working hard. This team only does it if they feel like it.

choccy77

The board will be looking at bringing ETH in will mean ripping the squad apart, which it should be. Their record of selling is pathetic. Poch will work with what we have and a couple of signings. He will be happy he is here with our lovely lethargic squad. The top sides work their socks off, which is why we have not won anything of note for years. We get outworked by teams with nowhere near the talent we have. You hear some older fans saying United won stuff without pressing, bollocks, I remember them closing down and working hard. This team only does it if they feel like it.
Exactly, the sides from 96 onwards always pressed, won the ball back, created the counter attack, every attack was a threat on the opposition.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well, I repeat, hopefully Ralf wins this battle

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I remember them closing down and working hard.
Tough to accept for football hipsters, but you are totally right.

"Gegenpressing is nothing new, we just used to call it closing down" (quote is from Köln's manager a few weeks ago)

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
United appointed Mourinho 3 years too late. They might do the same with Pochettino.

macheda14

Tough to accept for football hipsters, but you are totally right.

"Gegenpressing is nothing new, we just used to call it closing down" (quote is from Köln's manager a few weeks ago)
Yes and it was done without a system to underpin it - it was tantamount to getting as many men round the ball as possible. Now you have to press as a unit with each person knowing where they should be covering, what passing lanes they should be blocking etc. or else you get played through in an instant. See the beginning of our season when Ole tried to introduce a pressing style and it was just a bunch of headless chickens. We're still chicken like, but there seems to be a bit more of a method behind it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just feel like if we don't go for Pochettino then he will kind of always be available.

Ten Hag seems like a one time PL manager and we should try get him for ourselves.

siw2007

I’m convinced Poch will be the next United manager. He’s always been the long term choice of the United board, they have always admired the job he did at Spurs with the high intensity style of football coupled in with the notion that he works well with younger players. League position aside, he’s making hard work of the job at PSG which note needs to be taken of, but I think the club will give him a pass on it.

Ten Haag is an exciting choice and would love to see if he could replicate his work here but I still think the club will go for Poch.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If it is Poch he has to hope Ralf has weeded out the problem players for him. If he wants to play high intensity football like at Spurs, some of this lot need to be gone. Too many want to stroll around, makes it much easier for a fan to taking a photo if they aren't moving too fast.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
If it is Poch he has to hope Ralf has weeded out the problem players for him. If he wants to play high intensity football like at Spurs, some of this lot need to be gone. Too many want to stroll around, makes it much easier for a fan to taking a photo if they aren't moving too fast.
Even more so if it's ETH, I think. At least Poch worked with big names, not sure our current lot would respect someone like ETH.

Ixion

Whoever it is I'm sure it's the person the board believes will most likely go along with their bullshit so I don't hold out much hope

saivet

I just feel like if we don't go for Pochettino then he will kind of always be available.

Ten Hag seems like a one time PL manager and we should try get him for ourselves.
Yeah I get this impression as well. There's a good chance if we don't get Ten Hag now we will never get him. I don't think that should be a reason in going for him over Poch as there's the possibility that Poch takes over from Pep, Klopp or Tuchel when they call it a day at their respective teams.

MUFC OK

I’m certain the club hierarchy is desperate for Poch, they are also aware that ETH is the fans’ preference.

Expect a lot of spin in the media to try convince us Poch is the best/more realistic option.

Matt851

I don't buy this as a rationale for preferring ten haag. Poch has been renowned for his high pressing pre PSG.

I do slightly prefer ten hang but it feels like so many on here have such a hard on for ten haag that objective discussion goes out the window and people grasp at any reason to denigrate poch

The reality is its quite easy to see either failing given the current state of the club. For example will the players respect ETHs experience in holland? He has also been described as a fairly dull, uncharasmatic chap so could struggle to inspire the players (not that anyone could inspire this bunch)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Players have their own best interests and their career at heart, which means they will respect a manager if they have the sense he can improve them and advance their career. It's not a contradiction, great managers and selfish players go well together.
If players end up not being enthused about a manager it might be that he's just not that great at his job, especially considering motivating players is part of a manager's tasks. Conversely, it's perfectly imaginable that a manager without a giant trophy cabinet like Ten Hag, or even without any like Potter or Nagelsmann, can be respected even by highly decorated veteran players, if they sense he's good at what he does.

Last edited:

kthanksbye

Ego.

Whichever manager gets us back to winning ways will be praised worldwide.
Not convincing enough, ETH's stock in the market is so high right now (partially thanks to our desperation to sign a competent manager) that he can just wait to join any big club he wants, where it will be easy to keep them successful or competitive.
There is literally no upside to him for joining us.

mctrials23

Not convincing enough, ETH's stock in the market is so high right now (partially thanks to our desperation to sign a competent manager) that he can just wait to join any big club he wants, where it will be easy to keep them successful or competitive.
There is literally no upside to him for joining us.
Exactly. A lot of United fans don't want to hear the truth. We aren't a draw for the best players in the world like we used to be and any top manager would be mad to come here right now. Upper management is a joke and the squad is a joke. We overpay for players and then we overpay them when they get here and demand basically nothing from them. Its a shambles.

LARulz

United appointed Mourinho 3 years too late. They might do the same with Pochettino.
I've always maintained we should have bought him in when Fergie retired. Said it since he announced he was retiring. You needed the biggest name in management, who was available too, to manage the club

He was the only one with the ego and would have had instant command of that dressing room. Completely dropped the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.