Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvored

When you say journalism is that a loose term for "scraping the Internet for articles", because that wouldn't tell us a lot.
Have a look. All the papers talksport skysports BT etc are all usually on there. If your not interested in it, you dont need to look again.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Have a look. All the papers talksport skysports BT etc are all usually on there. If your not interested in it, you dont need to look again.
Yes but what I am curious about is whether its not limited to those sources, and also includes shit sources like the sun and the express etc.

Because if the sun reported it, and newsnow suggested it, its basically just the same source.

Newsnow sounds like a scraping website, offering no actual understanding as to whether the news is credible or not.

wolvored

Yes but what I am curious about is whether its not limited to those sources, and also includes shit sources like the sun and the express etc.

Because if the sun reported it, and newsnow suggested it, its basically just the same source.

Newsnow sounds like a scraping website, offering no actual understanding as to whether the news is credible or not.
I honestly dont know mate. If for example there are half a dozen saying RR is the new manager, I would just read one say the top one was sky sports I would read that.

saivet

Just been on Newsnow and there are a lot of reports RR will be the permanent manager if he gets top 4.
Would be disappointing as I think top 4 was the minimum expectation for him. We weren't miles away from 4th when Ole was sacked, so hardly a miracle if we get 4th given the money we've spent and the inconsistency with Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham. If our performances don't significantly improve and we don't have an good FA Cup and CL run then handing him a job for finishing 4th would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Not sure I buy into the rumours but it wouldn't be a surprise.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I honestly dont know mate. If for example there are half a dozen saying RR is the new manager, I would just read one say the top one was sky sports I would read that.
OK so newsnow is an aggregator rather than an actual source. Got it

Remember the geese

Ralf has done a reasonable job up to now, but I would rather stick to the plan. He should only be given the job permanently if we cannot get our top two or three choices.

romufc

I think its too early to tell. I will only rate the job Ralf has done post CL run and when we have played a proper top 6 team like Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Spurs or Arsenal.

Until then, he has done a 6/10 job for me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Giving him more time is fine, but don't stop looking.
Yeah I wouldn't be against say, Ten Hag being lined up and a pre-contract agreed (if such a term exists) for 2023/2024.
We also have no idea how this damn Qatar World Cup would disrupt the season - if Ralf does well for us this term then maybe he can indeed to a Leipzig and keep things going and progress us for a season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It would be wise for the club to not discount any possibilities around Rangnick. There is zero downside in continuing to assess and interview other candidates while also considering a longer stay for Ralf.

tomaldinho1

It would be wise for the club to not discount any possibilities around Rangnick. There is zero downside in continuing to assess and interview other candidates while also considering a longer stay for Ralf.
Exactly. The truth is there are only so many managers we will be interested in and have likely sounded them all out to varying degrees by now, some will be interested, some won't be but football is a fluid game and we can't predict who will be available/highly rated in summer. The WC is an issue if we're interested in Enrique (which I think we are) or Mancini (which I doubt) but let's see how RR does for the remaining 4-5 months. We need to see continued improvement in how we pay and keep up our recent defensive stability whilst adding more goal threat, if he does that there's no harm him staying on if we don't think our top choice is available.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The only thing I would say about continuing with Rangnick for a year is that it would then make Enrique an option next summer. Which is a plus given he would be maybe the outstanding candidate if he was available now.

Aside from that though, I don't see much upside in sticking with him. Rangnick has already had long enough career for us to judge how good a manger he is. And, based on that career, we wouldn't have wanted him as a direct permanent manager hire. So a decent job as interim manager (if he even ends up at that point) shouldn't suddenly make us reassess him. He just isn't the calibre of appointment we'd have wanted before we got ourselves into this whole interim mess.

I also wouldn't believe a story in The Sun even slightly.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Exactly. The truth is there are only so many managers we will be interested in and have likely sounded them all out to varying degrees by now, some will be interested, some won't be but football is a fluid game and we can't predict who will be available/highly rated in summer. The WC is an issue if we're interested in Enrique (which I think we are) or Mancini (which I doubt) but let's see how RR does for the remaining 4-5 months. We need to see continued improvement in how we pay and keep up our recent defensive stability whilst adding more goal threat, if he does that there's no harm him staying on if we don't think our top choice is available.
Not only whether top choices are available but also the possibility that Ralf proves himself to be the best option, which I wouldn't entirely rule out. The whole notion of Ralf being an interim manager for any club seems to be a square peg round hole scenario to me, because he is clearly a guy who brings ideas to the table which take time to implement but have a potentially huge upside if he gets it right.

For me, if the club see sufficient signs of progress from him over the course of the season I would let him have another. It's not as if any of the options out there are slam dunk certainties. Whatever happens we are taking a risk.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If Ralf get us top 4 finish I can see him continuing for another year before we go all in for Nagelsmann
Nagelsmann is not a realistic option, to be fair; going all in won't mean much when someone is at an equally distinguished and resourceful club like Madrid or Bayern (as opposed to Sporting CP or Ajax: who're not as financially capable, and more receptive to departures as they don't sit atop the continental food-chain). He's been reasonably good as Bayern's manager thus far, and even if the bottom line is not ideal in the immediate term, their upper-management not going to part ways with someone who is just 34 years old — and expected to be an integral part of their medium-long term project. There's a reason why they were willing to pay top money for his services (to Leipzig), and signed him to a 5-year deal as an overt gesture of commitment.
With Bayern Munich having announced the hiring of Julian Nagelsmann as the coach to replace Hansi Flick, the German is now the most expensive coach in the sport's history, with the Bavarian giants paying 25 million euros to release him from his RB Leipzig contract.
Introducing Julian Nagelsmann: The most expensive coach in football history.

tomaldinho1

Not only whether top choices are available but also the possibility that Ralf proves himself to be the best option, which I wouldn't entirely rule out. The whole notion of Ralf being an interim manager for any club seems to be a square peg round hole scenario to me, because he is clearly a guy who brings ideas to the table which take time to implement but have a potentially huge upside if he gets it right.

For me, if the club see sufficient signs of progress from him over the course of the season I would let him have another. It's not as if any of the options out there are slam dunk certainties. Whatever happens we are taking a risk.
Agreed, my expectations with him have remained constant and I don't see them changing. I expect first real signs of "progress" to start appearing in next month or so - by that I mean I hope we'll stop being outplayed more often than not, look less disorganised and our attack will look a bit more clinical, lots of games will be slogs for periods but we'll stop feeling we've been so lucky/reliant on DDG. I hope to see more pressing stats improve but I also think RR is somewhat hamstrung by the personnel at his disposal and he doesn't seem to be getting any players in Jan, which does surprise me as I thought they'd at least give him an inexpensive CM signing.

I still think we'll have bad games and likely lose a lot of the tougher head to heads (particularly the horrible March run) but as long as we're seeing a consistent style and proof of his coaching, I'd have nothing against giving him a summer window, especially when he seems much more focused on young, inexpensive players he can coach which is music to my ears.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Re: Ralf continuing for another (full) season.

This seems to be a possibility based on his own comments. And it's fair enough, I guess. But it does leave us very much at the mercy of his judgment (and integrity) if he's the one advising the upper management about how to proceed.

Let's just say it's a rather unusual situation: we've hired someone as a consultant, an expert team builder we want to show us the way forward, specifically recommend the next permanent head coach - and he, himself, is actually a potential candidate for that very job.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Agreed, my expectations with him have remained constant and I don't see them changing. I expect first real signs of "progress" to start appearing in next month or so - by that I mean I hope we'll stop being outplayed more often than not, look less disorganised and our attack will look a bit more clinical, lots of games will be slogs for periods but we'll stop feeling we've been so lucky/reliant on DDG. I hope to see more pressing stats improve but I also think RR is somewhat hamstrung by the personnel at his disposal and he doesn't seem to be getting any players in Jan, which does surprise me as I thought they'd at least give him an inexpensive CM signing.

I still think we'll have bad games and likely lose a lot of the tougher head to heads (particularly the horrible March run) but as long as we're seeing a consistent style and proof of his coaching, I'd have nothing against giving him a summer window, especially when he seems much more focused on young, inexpensive players he can coach which is music to my ears.
The Atletico matches are key. 2 months and 15 matches under his belt by then, and facing a tactically sound team who are well versed in the dark arts. Those are moments where top coaches show their worth. We obviously aren't going to turn into an effective pressing team by then, but he should know enough about us to be able to set us up right and have us in the right mental state to deal with that challenge. We have the ingredients to beat them. Of course it's possible to play well and still lose at that level, but if we look like a well-balanced team that know their jobs then that will be a statement of progress IMO.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
All stopped

Maybe the board has come to a realization that neither poch or ten hag will be attainable unless something drastic change. Ralf has had like one or two good performance, so I believe he might be changing the mindset, but the on field performance and result still need to improve.

I believe Ralf will have his ole night in Paris moment and our board will go crazy thinking about keeping him even if poch or ten hag is available.

crossy1686

career ending
The fact that 11 players want to leave since his appointment means he's the right guy to sort things out. If we're not going to keep him on as a DOF then he needs another year to finish the job.

el3mel

It will be ridiculous if we end up repeating Ole mistake again. Feck no. Please hire a proper manager for next season.

tomaldinho1

The Atletico matches are key. 2 months and 15 matches under his belt by then, and facing a tactically sound team who are well versed in the dark arts. Those are moments where top coaches show their worth. We obviously aren't going to turn into an effective pressing team by then, but he should know enough about us to be able to set us up right and have us in the right mental state to deal with that challenge. We have the ingredients to beat them. Of course it's possible to play well and still lose at that level, but if we look like a well-balanced team that know their jobs then that will be a statement of progress IMO.
They should be beatable but I think you're right, it will be an interesting test. They've been poor this season (so have we) and I am intrigued to see how we deal with getting in behind them, if we create a lot of chances but lose to sucker punch goal I honestly wouldn't mind but I fear we will struggle to create anything.

goptun

Maybe the board has come to a realization that neither poch or ten hag will be attainable unless something drastic change. Ralf has had like one or two good performance, so I believe he might be changing the mindset, but the on field performance and result still need to improve.

I believe Ralf will have his ole night in Paris moment and our board will go crazy thinking about keeping him even if poch or ten hag is available.
It's very feasible that Poch will be out of a job if he stumbles against Madrid and crashes out in the last 16. Absolutely no chance he turns us down, assuming that happens. Not that I'd particularly want him.

Caesar2290

All stopped

I actually think that this is a brief by the club to test the waters and see how the fans are going to react to it. They're probably testing all their options right now. No better time to do it than the international break where there are no major distractions and fixtures to gauge the fan sentiment.

If memory serves, wasn't Custis Woody's PR man?

The fact that he's the only one running with this story is very suspicious.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It's very feasible that Poch will be out of a job if he stumbles against Madrid and crashes out in the last 16. Absolutely no chance he turns us down, assuming that happens. Not that I'd particularly want him.
It is possible, but people are assuming that playing Real Madrid is like playing Watford. It will be a tough game and if he loses against real Madrid there is still a possibility that Leonardo and Thani will still want to keep him bc he is doing an excellentjob in the league and the players respect him. Even when there was rumors of United unterest in Pochettino earlier on, they were upset with it and wanted him to stay.

minoo-utd

It was suggested from day one that he could potentially stay on.
Maybe my bad but haven’t read anything like he was considered! Our board said and even he mentioned that Ralf is only here for six months as manager and then he will move to a consultant or whatever it is.

Drz

All stopped

I call BS on this, just plainly evident none of the desired candidates are available right now or willing to have their names out there given they are currently employed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We ask for far to high transfer values which is why Pereira & Lingard are still here

we also pay ridiculous wages to back up players which makes it harder for smaller clubs to take these players unless we pay the player the remaining balance ie Sanchez and i am confident we are paying a portion of Martials wages aswell
The reason why we pay 'ridiculous wages' is simply because it makes transfers easier to skew. Besides wage differentials are cheaper than any incremental difference in transfer fees nowadays.

Jibbs

Its a collection of all the journalism around a subject. You can specifically set it to a certain thing. I got mine on Man Utd and anything in the media about Utd it will show on the 'page' for you to read. Just google it.
That’s how I always view Man United news.

mu4c_20le

I call BS on this, just plainly evident none of the desired candidates are available right now or willing to have their names out there given they are currently employed.
Woody probably leaking this to get RR extra motivated to secure top 4

Greck

Ralf not getting the job doesn't mean he's leaving the club this summer. This is our perfect opportunity to get both an executive that actually knows football and a top manager. Why does the club fall deeply in love with anything half decent? Sentiments FC. Maybe the geniuses upstairs aren't ready to have their powers diluted.

Stay disciplined and stick to the feckin plan. Jeez we just blow our load at every juncture. Even more reason we need an exec. An unproven u16 coach is our technical director.

Greck

Would be disappointing as I think top 4 was the minimum expectation for him. We weren't miles away from 4th when Ole was sacked, so hardly a miracle if we get 4th given the money we've spent and the inconsistency with Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham. If our performances don't significantly improve and we don't have an good FA Cup and CL run then handing him a job for finishing 4th would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Not sure I buy into the rumours but it wouldn't be a surprise.
Yeah I'm not sure I buy it either especially seeing it's from the Sun. I'm actually more pissed with people backing it because the dimwits in our board take fan feedback too serious on the manager issue rather than having their own plan.

If RR won the CL I'd understand but we haven't even peaked that high. We're still taking things one day at a time and giving RR patience. He's an interim being judged by interim standards. The football hasn't actually reached the point to justify saying "oh we may have something special here, let's give him the job". Unless our standards for the future are really really low we've seen little to justify changing course.

Giggsy13

Could we just ban anything from custis and the Sun. Rangnick is an interim manager and will stay that way. If anything he stays on for a few more months if we’ve earmarked Enrique as our top choice and the interest is mutual.

Status
Not open for further replies.