Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Lots of assumptions here! I’m sceptical too, but we really have no idea whether that’s all Fletcher does. I’ve also got nothing against apprenticeships as long as the apprentice demonstrates that he’s actually learning.

Barring a total collapse (out of both CL and top 4) I’d be amazed if there was any change until the end of the season. Ole and the team have this amazing (infuriating if you’re a hardened Ole-outer ;)) ability to bounce back from misfortune.
Yeah obviously I’m just guessing. But I also guess Ole don’t have a clue how to coach. The longer he stays the more it’s a reality. But we shall see on Fletcher. I hope he’s clued up.

I know man. Which is why I think we will be alright this month. Well I honestly think we won’t make it out of the group. But the league points will be alright for him to stay on.

Mainoldo

Then he's of the De Boer generation. Meanwhile Arteta worked with Pep as well. That certainly didn't work out didn't it?

The Dutch football had blessed us with some of the finest players football had ever seen. Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard and Cruyff are 4 players whose class is unparalleled to anything the EPL had ever seen apart from Ronaldo. Then there's of course the likes of Seedorf, Stam, RVN and RVP who were top top players. However those times are gone, the Dutch football is nowhere near to what it used to be, it lacks vision, it lacks class and quite frankly it lacks ideas. Which is why a football dinosaur like LVG or an average manager like Mclaren were able to waltze into sides such as AZ and Twente and win the title. I also find Dutch managers to be incredibly stubborn towards buying Dutch players. Koeman brought 2 Dutch players at Everton and another 2 at Barcelona, De Boer brought 2 Dutch players at Palace and LVG brought 2 Dutch players at United with Blind and Depay. Which suggest a lack of football knowledge outside of their bubble.

Chelsea/City would spend silly money to make their manager happy while Klopp fount a team that needed major surgery. We're not in that situation. The new manager will be replacing the club's darling which means that the heat will be on him from day 0. He will inherit have an excellent side including some fantastic kids coming up. On top of that he'll be working with an employee who would spend 60m-80m max per year. Therefore we need someone who comes in and improve on what Ole had done rather then start everything from scratch. Thus I believe that the new manager must play very similar football to what Ole had promised (and can't deliver), he must know our players well, he must understand the EPL and what Manchester United is all about
Why does all this matter when we are currently sitting under a man who spent most of his education at Modle.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Careful what you wish for. As a club, Ole has rectified the caustic atmosphere around the place, the fact no one rated Moyes and he was out of his depth; LVG and his my way or highway attention to detail which strangled the place; Mourinho and his usual toy throwing. He has attracted top players and given Utd the feel of a top club again. Do you really want to jump back on that managerial merry go round? Where the new recruit isn’t trusted with complete control over the club and we have non footballing people involved in major club decisions?

Where ole is struggling is how to get the most out this amazing attacking squad. When Fergie knew he didn’t have the chops to take on the new breed of managers tactically, he adapted. He brought in Quiroz, then promoted Muelenstein, coaches who could take his principles and adapt for playing against teams who going to come at us in Europe or how to dominate teams with the ball in the premiere league.

My point is, Ole is doing a lot of things right with the club that you DEFINITELY won’t get from another manager. Ole carries weight with the higher ups because of his knowledge of the club. He is a historical figure...a new manager would be a visitor of sorts...an employee... and with the expectations placed on managers at the top level these days...(Jesus, treble CL winning Zidane was put under pressure!) we won’t find someone that can lead the club the way Ole has who stays in it for the long term and provides stability. I say keep Ole- if he is willing to look at the coaches and make some tough decisions. He already brought in a set piece coach. Send Carrick and McKenna off to manage teams alsewhere for experience and bring in some top class defensive/attacking coaches. While coaches tend to work in teams with loyalty to certain managers, Utd are surely a club of significant enough stature to go poach some of the best in the business.

Also-someone like Potter coaching Ronaldo and Varane has some serious Moyes/Rio vibes about it. We have a very strong experienced squad and bringing in a young inexperienced manager (at the top levels) would be a huge mistake.
I used to share that view but not anymore

A- Ole had surrounded himself with either former players or his mates from Molde/Cardiff. His coaching staff size is enormous and its evident that he won't be sacking his matey's any time soon

B- The manager needs to understand tactics and he needs to take harsh decisions which would also include his mateys. Ole seem not to be able with doing either of them

sammyk123

Then he's of the De Boer generation. Meanwhile Arteta worked with Pep as well. That certainly didn't work out didn't it?

The Dutch football had blessed us with some of the finest players football had ever seen. Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard and Cruyff are 4 players whose class is unparalleled to anything the EPL had ever seen apart from Ronaldo. Then there's of course the likes of Seedorf, Stam, RVN and RVP who were top top players. However those times are gone, the Dutch football is nowhere near to what it used to be, it lacks vision, it lacks class and quite frankly it lacks ideas. Which is why a football dinosaur like LVG or an average manager like Mclaren were able to waltze into sides such as AZ and Twente and win the title. I also find Dutch managers to be incredibly stubborn towards buying Dutch players. Koeman brought 2 Dutch players at Everton and another 2 at Barcelona, De Boer brought 2 Dutch players at Palace and LVG brought 2 Dutch players at United with Blind and Depay. Which suggest a lack of football knowledge outside of their bubble.

Chelsea/City would spend silly money to make their manager happy while Klopp fount a team that needed major surgery. We're not in that situation. The new manager will be replacing the club's darling which means that the heat will be on him from day 0. He will inherit have an excellent side including some fantastic kids coming up. On top of that he'll be working with an employee who would spend 60m-80m max per year. Therefore we need someone who comes in and improve on what Ole had done rather then start everything from scratch. Thus I believe that the new manager must play very similar football to what Ole had promised (and can't deliver), he must know our players well, he must understand the EPL and what Manchester United is all about
I think Ten Hag is different. Obviously working with Pep doesn't guarantee he's a good coach, but it's helped to shape his football philosophy differently to other Dutch coaches.

His signings at Ajax haven't been just Dutch players, he's brought in Daramy, Antony, Martinez, Haller, Tadic, etc. He seems happy to work with a much broader scouting and recruitment set-up.

His record in Europe is what's most impressive and differentiates him from Koeman and De Boer.

He wouldn't need a rebuild, he plays an expansive 4231 with wingers, a number 10, and ball playing center backs. He'd use Van de Beek in central midfield and get a huge return from Sancho and Rashford

devilish

Why does all this matter when we are currently sitting under a man who spent most of his education at Modle.
It matters because we actually got an excellent side and a solid foundation to build upon. What we need is someone who understand tactics and can make this team work more efficiently. The last thing we need is someone to come in and sell good quality players because they don't fit their fancy formation or because they don't understand their philosophy. We had too many people like that already.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
It would be weird with his City past but I would 100% be for it. He's an excellent manager.
We had Jose come in with his Chelsea past, that shouldn't be a problem as long as he would want to work here, that would be great.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

fecking hell, not a single argument here which is about the individual Ten Hag, its all just generalization because of recent experiences of Dutch managers. What you state might be true in general about Dutch coaches, but it says absolutely nothing about the manager Erik Ten Hag. Im not saying that im fully convinced Ten Hag will hit the ground running outside of Ajax, but if you are expressing doubts and concerns at least point them towards the individual Erik Ten Hag in stead of some general remarks about Dutch coaches who are all completely different from Ten Hag.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Are you serious or joking?
Totally serious. I didn't say anything about trophies, I said experience - as a manager. He's only had five years - all of that while there were only two contenders in Spain. Yes CL successes, there's no getting away from that but never worked anywhere else so I see no evidence that this would be a great move. Possibly an improvement, but right now so would lots of people

devilish

fecking hell, not a single argument here which is about the individual Ten Hag, its all just generalization because of recent experiences of Dutch managers. What you state might be true in general about Dutch coaches, but it says absolutely nothing about the manager Erik Ten Hag. Im not saying that im fully convinced Ten Hag will hit the ground running outside of Ajax, but if you are expressing doubts and concerns at least point them towards the individual Erik Ten Hag in stead of some general remarks about Dutch coaches who are all completely different from Ten Hag.
I tried to be political correct. Unfortunately it failed miserably. So here's the uncut version of it. Its very difficult to Gaige the talent of a manager whose managing in a mickey mouse league

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He's won the league twice and the champions League 3 times.

He's out of a job so you wouldn't need to pay off a club.

He has a winning history with two of your best players.

He'll immediately have the respect of everyone at the club because if who he is.

It'll be a massive statement that you are lookih to win the big prizes.

Like I said, seems perfect.

As for Ole having more experience, yes, he has got 5 or so years managing Molde and Cardiff over Zidane.
the problem is, respect is all well and good but that doesn't translate into success as a manager. I want someone with more pedigree. I agree, he's won 3 CLs which is good but in a two-horse race in La Liga. Is he a SAF or Wenger, no. Is he ever the next level down, not in my book. Look at the step Chelsea took: from lampard to Tuchel (and you can like the guy or not) and look at the complete change.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I tried to be political correct. Unfortunately it failed miserably. So here's the uncut version of it. Its very difficult to Gaige the talent of a manager whose managing in a mickey mouse league
I agree..

So the trick is to actually analyze the guy, scout him, see what kind of type is he, what his style his, how he trains, how he coaches his team, what his tactical influence on the team is, how he performs under the pressure, in different types of matches, how his teams develop...

So you can actually have an opinion and an idea of what makes him suitable or doesn't make him suitable un stead of saying you don't think he is suited for your league because he is from a mickey mouse league, without any real argument...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Surely your post is jest? It's like saying you wouldn't want Pep after he left Barca because he only did it at one club. You can tell the pedigree of a manager without having a 25 year CV. Like I said I don't know if Zidane is the right guy, that's for our board to determine and Zidane if he even wants to come here. I just know Ole is finished at this club and the quicker we make a decision the better. No reason we can't just fire the next manager anyways. Hell if we hired Conte, he'd leave on his own if it didn't go well here. He was sacked from Real because he went trophyless for one year and didn't get along with Perez. He may not be the guy to take us to a title, but he has a better shot than our current one.

It's because United fans are delusional in the idea of finding another SAF. it's an insult to his legacy for fans to think that we'll just be able to find another person who did what he did. He was unique and trying to capture that again will continue to kill the club.
As I said, I've been a critic of Ole's appointment from day one. And you can hardly compare Zidane (in the job for five years) to Pep (first appointed by Barca in 2008)...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sure, let’s all just mindlessly cheer on and accept the fact that our board is beyond incompetent and if you disagree - well then tough shit go take up knitting.
It's like listening to tory voters trying to tell you everything is wonderful and Boris Johnson is the reincarnation of John F Kennedy and Winston Churchill rolled into one

Yakuza_devils

Taking managers from Ajax, Sporting and Brighton is not a good idea. It's a big step up from managing these teams to Man Utd especially from the Dutch and Portuguese League.

We should try to get Zidane, Mancini or Hansi Flick. Of the 3, I think only Zidane is available. Need to keep an eye on the other if they become available.

RkkMan

The fact that these positions cause such divisiveness among the fan base is proof enough that there are issues.

De Gea might have found a bit of form again after years of generally being off it but he isn't getting any younger and there is no guarantee over Henderson whatsoever.

The fact that the club made Maguire the most expensive central defender in the world is ridiculous to the point of being difficult to believe. There's zero justification why a player that cost such an extortionate fee would also possess this worryingly high propensity for basic errors. It won't be long before any new manager has to seriously consider how to deal with this and doing so isn't going to be easy.

Pogba is a problem for any manager as firstly you don't know whether he is staying or going. Secondly even if he signs a new contract, his best performances since he has been here have been fleeting and therefore it's then the very challenging task of trying to get the best out of him on a consistent basis.

Sancho was meant to finally resolve our right side attacking issues after years of it being plain ignored. Instead he's looked utterly out of his depth since he arrived and people are even now saying he's better on the left where supposedly we're well stocked.

Greenwood may be talented but to say one of the most in the world is a stretch at this point in time. Absolute no certainty he can make the right side his own and even less so the centre forward position.

Ronaldo is one of the true greats but you already have plenty of 'respected' posters and pundits asking whether he'll be more of a hindrance than a help this season. You can understand this perspective at least a little given his age and that a decline at some point is inevitable. Once this happens, again tough decisions have to be made - most likely having to buy a new striker since Cavani isn't any kind of longterm solution either!

Basically this isn't a team or squad, in its current incarnation, capable of winning the league.
You sound a lot like Chelsea fans who were defending Lampard before he was sacked and backing the point he made of Chelsea's team not being ready to compete. Kante was finished, Jorginho was average, Thiago Silva was too old, Edouard Mendy was unknown quantity, Werner/Havertz were bang average etc these were all the points being made by the Lampard in crew who wanted to believe the team was bad when it was never the case and the problem was simply mismanagement. You have to actually be objective and judge the team without this ridiculous mindset that everything around Ole is what's wrong instead of it being him. You simply can't make a serious argument about that almost 3 years in and over £400m spent. Just to counter your points
De Gea has been out of form yes but there's simply no question that an in form De Gea is one of the best GKs in the world he has the quality and mentality to turn his form around and he's been flawless so far he's one player you can trust to maintain good form when he's on it and so what that he's 31? Neuer/Navas are still world class at 35 he could still give us 2/3 solid years which is fine as this team doesn't desperately need a GK for the next decade yet

Being overpriced doesn't mean a player is trash. We overpaid for Maguire but he's improved our defence massively from the Smalling/Jones era, is an EVER present figure at the back which is vital for a position as demanding as a CB and when you compare other big money signings like Coutinho, Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele and even De Ligt(hasn't flopped at Juve but hasn't kicked on from his Ajax days he's been benched a lot for Chiellini and Bonucci) Maguire has come much closer to proving his worth so you're being incredibly and ridiculously harsh. His form for England too where he was in the Euros Team of The Tournament and lead England to the final, getting a goal in the process shows that he may ACTUALLY be a top player believe it or not :lol:

Pogba's contract issue is a problem definitely no lie but if he stays we're simply a much better team with him than without him and an in form Pogba makes us title contenders there's no two ways about it cause he's actually a good player. Getting him to play well consistently is something worth looking into but he's done so under Deschamps, Allegri and Conte so there's definitely a way to solve it.

You seem to be making judgement on Sancho based on outside views rather than YOUR OWN views which shows how non objective you are because anyone that's watched Sancho knows that not only did his best season come from the RW but that he'd need time to adapt. Almost all top players that have come to the PL from Germany needed an adjustment period from Son, KDB, Sane, Havertz amongst others so to rule out Sancho who was not only producing a devastating level of productivity in Germany especially in the 19/20 season that was only bettered by Messi statistically but is also just TWENTY ONE years old playing his first season in the PL is absolutely ludicrous. His ability to play on either wing is not the drawback you're trying to point out. Havertz who had a similar problem of adjustment in his first season improved massively when Tuchel came in don't rule out Sancho yet who's a better talent.

Yeah there's no certainty Greenwood's development remains linear but don't you think he's shown enough in his talent and performances to suggest he'll only get better? This isn't a James Wilson situation of an academy player hyped due to being from the academy in terms of talent Mason is up there with Fati, Foden, Vinicius etc as one of the most talented U20 footballers in Europe. He's already one of the highest goalscoring teenagers in PL and Utd history, zero fitness issues and zero attitude issues like Januzaj the odds of him succeeding are not certain but much higher than that of failure

When has doubting Ronaldo EVER worked for anyone? Everytime people say something about him being past his best or a misfit he ALWAYS claps back. 101 goals in 134 Juve games, all time International Top Scorer of men's football, top scorer at the Euros and 4 goals in 4 games at Utd. To put other things into context it stemmed from his time at Juve on myths that he was holding them back from playing progressive football yet Juve have not improved one bit as a team since he left so maybe the problem wasn't him after all? You can't say he's held us back either because our attack is still fluid and the problems we have now are problems that were pre existing even before this season. Lastly Ronaldo is super fit he could very easily play till he's 40, 2/3 years of him is worth more than 5-10 years of other STs if he wins us the big trophies so him being a short term fix shouldn't faze you cause it's Ronaldo the normal rules don't apply to players like him.

devilish

I agree..

So the trick is to actually analyze the guy, scout him, see what kind of type is he, what his style his, how he trains, how he coaches his team, what his tactical influence on the team is, how he performs under the pressure, in different types of matches, how his teams develop...

So you can actually have an opinion and an idea of what makes him suitable or doesn't make him suitable un stead of saying you don't think he is suited for your league because he is from a mickey mouse league, without any real argument...
He's managing in a Championship level league were Ajax are among the richest of the lot. Its very difficult to gaige how he performs under pressure, how teams develop and the tactical influence on his team on that particular level. I mean with due respect, we're talking of a league were an ancient LVG and Mclaren could pop in, manage a random side, and win the league title with it.

Flytan

As I said, I've been a critic of Ole's appointment from day one. And you can hardly compare Zidane (in the job for five years) to Pep (first appointed by Barca in 2008)...
I asked if you would take pep after SAF retired, which would have been 5 years on the job too

Cal?

CR7 fan
the problem is, respect is all well and good but that doesn't translate into success as a manager. I want someone with more pedigree. I agree, he's won 3 CLs which is good but in a two-horse race in La Liga. Is he a SAF or Wenger, no. Is he ever the next level down, not in my book. Look at the step Chelsea took: from lampard to Tuchel (and you can like the guy or not) and look at the complete change.
Wenger? Zidane is already miles better

Mainoldo

It matters because we actually got an excellent side and a solid foundation to build upon. What we need is someone who understand tactics and can make this team work more efficiently. The last thing we need is someone to come in and sell good quality players because they don't fit their fancy formation or because they don't understand their philosophy. We had too many people like that already.
It’s exactly what we need. Balance. Not this fake Glacatico thing we have been building ever since Fergie left to win nothing.

JPB

I wanted Ole to succeed more than anything else. But if you can't manage to play attractive football and win games with the players we have now, that's unforgivable. He probably needs to go. The problem is who do we get in? I can't think of a single guy who gives me any sort of confidence.

UpWithRivers

Whoever comes in I dont want to hear any of this 3 year build bullsht. Just interview all the candidates and say these are your players whats your vision. If they say oh it will take X years then we might as well keep Ole. Out of the options we have I think Zidane is the best option. He can handle a big club and big players with all the politics as he proved at Real. He will have respect of the players like Ronaldo and Pogba etc. He can play attacking football. And he can utilize our current players without needing several windows.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He won 3 CLs in a two horse race in la Liga? First of all; la liga is always a 3 horse race with atletico. Secondly, he won 3 CL in a row, which competes with every team in Europe. And he made Real Madrid into the best side in the world for 3 years. Great group of players, sure. But individual quality doesn't lead to success, maybe once you could call it a fluke even if it was the CL. But he won 3 CL in a row, and won the league twice in his 4.5 seasons in charge there. He's a great manager. You're looking for pedigree? There is no manager with more of it other than Pep (and he doesn't have as many CL wins despite managing for 3 times as long). It's funny you say Tuchel. Zidane has done a lot more in his managerial career than Tuchel has.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Taking managers from Ajax, Sporting and Brighton is not a good idea. It's a big step up from managing these teams to Man Utd especially from the Dutch and Portuguese League.

We should try to get Zidane, Mancini or Hansi Flick. Of the 3, I think only Zidane is available. Need to keep an eye on the other if they become available.
I'd love mancini.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree..

And just to add to your very good post. Ten Hag's reign at Ajax can also be guaged via the Champions League where he's knocked out Juventus over two legs who were coached by Allegri. He's also knocked out Real Madrid over two legs and they're a club Manchester United have a dreadful record against. And he has done that by having a clear disadvantage when it comes to finances and has made that deficit up by his ability to coach/develop players which includes a number of very young players. I'm sure Allegri who was Juve manager at the time in question, guaged how well Ten Hag had outwitted his Juve team (with Ronaldo), playing a brand of football Allegri can only dream of trying to implement.

The biggest issue I see on this forum is that many can't look past CV/resume when it comes to giving their opinion on a potential new head coach. And then when the club brings in the coach of their choosing who has won several European Cups playing a brand of football that isn't most pleasing to the eye, those same fans are then first to complain about how bad our football is when results are not achieved.

We've had 4 fulltime managers post Fergie with 3 of those managers knowing the EPL and we still play a brand of football that isn't the most pleasing to the eye IMO.

For me it's either Ten Hag or Potter who should be the top candidates because they will at least attempt to make us a dominant team, especially Ten Hag. Ideology should trump the CV/resume approach if we want to become a team that wants to handle the challenges thrown up by the new breed of coaches who IMO have adopted a proactive approach in the game today.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zidane's agent, Alain Migliaccio, has previously spoken about the prospect of his client one day managing at Old Trafford, saying: "It does not really attract him."

Via the MEN

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Whoever comes in I dont want to hear any of this 3 year build bullsht. Just interview all the candidates and say these are your players whats your vision. If they say oh it will take X years then we might as well keep Ole.
This seems to be the heart of the problem. The simple fix is to buy a defensive midfielder and carry on as is. In which case why sack Ole except as a PR exercise?

The harder fix is to introduce a modern tactical structure to the club. Surely that will take time but will have a better chance of wining silverware.

There is 0% chance of the Glazers doing the latter.

AneRu

And just to add to your very good post. Ten Hag's reign at Ajax can also be guaged via the Champions League where he's knocked out Juventus over two legs who were coached by Allegri. He's also knocked out Real Madrid over two legs and they're a club Manchester United have a dreadful record against. And he has done that by having a clear disadvantage when it comes to finances and has made that deficit up by his ability to coach/develop players which includes a number of very young players. I'm sure Allegri who was Juve manager at the time in question, guaged how well Ten Hag had outwitted his Juve team (with Ronaldo), playing a brand of football Allegri can only dream of trying to implement.

The biggest issue I see on this forum is that many can't look past CV/resume when it comes to giving their opinion on a potential new head coach. And then when the club brings in the coach of their choosing who has won several European Cups playing a brand of football that isn't most pleasing to the eye, those same fans are then first to complain about how bad our football is when results are not achieved.

We've had 4 fulltime managers post Fergie with 3 of those managers knowing the EPL and we still play a brand of football that isn't the most pleasing to the eye IMO.

For me it's either Ten Hag or Potter who should be the top candidates because they will at least attempt to make us a dominant team, especially Ten Hag. Ideology should trump the CV/resume approach if we want to become a team that wants to handle the challenges thrown up by the new breed of coaches who IMO have adopted a proactive approach in the game today.
The problem is people are obsessed with CV/resume but forget that even those with the most stellar ones had to start somewhere and they only did so because someone gave them a chance. The obvious counter would be that United is not a guinea pig but if you don't take a chance you don't win.

You look at Pep, Klopp and Tuchel, they are beyond our reach but we have someone like Potter taking them on on a fraction of the budget. Why not then take a chance on him, give him the resources he doesn't have and a bit of guidance and moral support from someone like Fergie under a proper structure? If you won't have a Pep why not build up your own?

Like I have said previously I am more inclined towards looking at a manager, his stated philosophy/ideology and his ability to translate the vision on the pitch. The rest will fall in line because of the financial power the club has and the technical structure we have built that supports our recruitment.

If it goes tits up you start again, the club should not be afraid of making mistakes because that fear of getting it wrong could stop us from ever getting it right.

Bearded One

The problem is people are obsessed with CV/resume but forget that even those with the most stellar ones had to start somewhere and they only did so because someone gave them a chance. The obvious counter would be that United is not a guinea pig but if you don't take a chance you don't win.

You look at Pep, Klopp and Tuchel, they are beyond our reach but we have someone like Potter taking them on on a fraction of the budget. Why not then take a chance on him, give him the resources he doesn't have and a bit of guidance and moral support from someone like Fergie under a proper structure? If you won't have a Pep why not build up your own?

Like I have said previously I am more inclined towards looking at a manager, his stated philosophy/ideology and his ability to translate the vision on the pitch. The rest will fall in line because of the financial power the club has and the technical structure we have built that supports our recruitment.

If it goes tits up you start again, the club should not be afraid of making mistakes because that fear of getting it wrong could stop us from ever getting it right.
All well and good to put your faith in a manager without accolades but we have the resources to hire the best and we need to start winning the big trophies again so why not go for the best available?

AneRu

This seems to be the heart of the problem. The simple fix is to buy a defensive midfielder and carry on as is. In which case why sack Ole except as a PR exercise?

The harder fix is to introduce a modern tactical structure to the club. Surely that will take time but will have a better chance of wining silverware.

There is 0% chance of the Glazers doing the latter.
Klopp had Liverpool playing his high pressure system in his first match. Yes systems take time, money, good recruitment and luck to perfect but it's never these 'three year projects' or 'let me spend half a billion then judge'.

Did you see what Hansi Flick did with Bayern? Didn't take too long. Here we are maybe two signings away from a perfect eleven or at least the best that we can have all things considered. So why then should it take years to establish a system when you are training everyday?

AneRu

All well and good to put your faith in a manager without accolades but we have the resources to hire the best and we need to start winning the big trophies again so why not go for the best available?
The best are engaged elsewhere and are tainted by association with our bitter rivals. Zidane doesn't seem like he fancies us and Conte is a walking, living grenade.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Klopp had Liverpool playing his high pressure system in his first match. Yes systems take time, money, good recruitment and luck to perfect but it's never these 'three year projects' or 'let me spend half a billion then judge'.
Took him four years to win the league though?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How do we determine who is the best? By resume/CV or ideology?

My preference would be to go for a head coach who has the ideology. And for me Ten Hag's ideology on how to play the game is superior to Ancelotti, Zidane, Conte etc because it's a ideology that is more expansive and can make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

But having said that, it's more difficult to implement Ten Hag's blue print in comparison to the other coaches mentioned who would likely take the cheque book approach.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I agree.

AneRu

Took him four years to win the league though?
Which is all well and good considering where they were when he came in and that they aren't a very rich club that can drop £200m in one summer. If Barca didn't come in for Coutinho and paid that ridiculous fee they probably don't get to win the big titles.

But even in his first season he took them all the way to the Europa Final and had them free scoring in his second season (first full season).

United have bought well over the past three seasons and have a few talisman pampering over the cracks. It therefore shouldnt take four seasons for a good manager to challenge.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta is a rockie manager and he is still learning on the job. He have yet deliver success but It takes time for manager to develop, and it is the same for Klopp and Tuchel as well. I won't write him off yet. Be patient. I would also say the same for Ole.

AneRu

How do we determine who is the best? By resume/CV or ideology?

My preference would be to go for a head coach who has the ideology. And for me Ten Hag's ideology on how to play the game is superior to Ancelotti, Zidane, Conte etc because it's a ideology that is more expansive and can make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

But having said that, it's more difficult to implement Ten Hag's blue print in comparison to the other coaches mentioned who would likely take the cheque book approach.
I think people overlook this aspect and think Zidane has won three CLs so he can come here and least do something similar. Zidane won with a side built to take on Pep's machine - a driven Ronaldo, best CM in the world Modric and Kroos, Benzema etc. Not discounting his achievements but its a lot different from what he would face here - McFred and Bissaka for starters.

Every major win has its on set of peculiar circumstances, this is why even Pep now struggles to win the CL even with the nature of strong teams he has managed since leaving Barcelona. I think of the lot, only Ancelotti and a done Jose have replicated the CL wins with different clubs.

This is why I think we have to reduce the weight we put on trophies and focus on the ability to get a team playing, that Pep like ability to impose a style, stay faithful to it and win games with it. If the tactical and technical is in place, obviously alongside leadership, then we have the finances to fund a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.