Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I am still with Ole until end of the season but I will keep watching Pochettino and I am sure he will be very interested to come here. I know you might think he is not a winner as he hasn't win major trophies but if by end of this season he wins Ligue 1, he will have similar profile (UCL runner up and winning Ligue 1) to Tuchel when he was hired by Chelsea. Beside, Pochettino is not just PL proven but he must have learnt a lot from his Spurs experienced and now managing big ego players like Messi and Neymar. All of these are good to have on your CV.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think people overlook this aspect and think Zidane has won three CLs so he can come here and least do something similar. Zidane won with a side built to take on Pep's machine - a driven Ronaldo, best CM in the world Modric and Kroos, Benzema etc. Not discounting his achievements but its a lot different from what he would face here - McFred and Bissaka for starters.

Every major win has its on set of peculiar circumstances, this is why even Pep now struggles to win the CL even with the nature of strong teams he has managed since leaving Barcelona. I think of the lot, only Ancelotti and a done Jose have replicated the CL wins with different clubs.

This is why I think we have to reduce the weight we put on trophies and focus on the ability to get a team playing, that Pep like ability to impose a style, stay faithful to it and win games with it. If the tactical and technical is in place, obviously alongside leadership, then we have the finances to fund a challenge.
Completely agree.

I feel our club is dying for a head coach who understands the requirements of the modern game which could have a galvanizing effect not only on the first team but also at youth level. But that would mean appointing someone whose blue print is more difficult to implement but much more exciting as far as potential goes.

JG3001

I tried to be political correct. Unfortunately it failed miserably. So here's the uncut version of it. Its very difficult to Gaige the talent of a manager whose managing in a mickey mouse league
Somewhat agree, yet we’ve got a manager whose only previous experience was winning the Norwegian league and relegating Cardiff.

Which is why your post raises the usual suspicions of sentimentality, if Ole didn’t play for us, would he really have lasted this long?

redrobed

Why does winning the Norwegian league always get counted against Ole? If he’d come 3rd would he be OK?

In all seriousness, I only really watch Premier League and MLS. Klopp has been tainted. Tuchel is too new at Chelsea. Pep on the other hand seems to be pandering to us with his recent comments about City having no fans. He wouldn’t get the financial backing with us that he gets elsewhere but could be worth a shot.

copen1945

Why does winning the Norwegian league always get counted against Ole? If he’d come 3rd would he be OK?

In all seriousness, I only really watch Premier League and MLS. Klopp has been tainted. Tuchel is too new at Chelsea. Pep on the other hand seems to be pandering to us with his recent comments about City having no fans. He wouldn’t get the financial backing with us that he gets elsewhere but could be worth a shot.
I have seen Mancini mentioned several times in this thread, and now Guardiola. United should never touch goods tainted with the dirty Arab oil.

JG3001

Because winning most European leagues is regularly slagged off on here (and by most English fans in general).

How often are are Bundesliga, Ligue 1 & Serie A called farmers leagues. Eredivisie always demoted as tier B.

Flytan

Because winning most European leagues is regularly slagged off on here (and by most English fans in general).

How often are are Bundesliga, Ligue 1 & Serie A called farmers leagues. Eredivisie always demoted as tier B.
I can assure you if a manager from the Bundesliga won the league against Bayern not a single person on this forum would say anything negative about it. Countless fans have wanted ex-Lille manager(s) here. Ajax managers are almost always brought up. Same with Serie A. Norway is not near those levels and pretending winning anything there should have any effect on Ole (positive or negative) is dumb.

JG3001

I can assure you if a manager from the Bundesliga won the league against Bayern not a single person on this forum would say anything negative about it. Countless fans have wanted ex-Lille manager(s) here. Ajax managers are almost always brought up. Same with Serie A. Norway is not near those levels and pretending winning anything there should have any effect on Ole (positive or negative) is dumb.
Oh, it wasnt in defence of Ole, think I’m one of the despised Outers on these boards. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. You’ll find posts/comments everywhere on social media about (title winning) coaches at top teams in Europe “having it too easy”, “playing against farmers”, “already managing the best team”. Tuchel (and I reckon soon to be Poch) written off as a failure, because Ligue 1 is a given with PSG, and should have won the CL.

I think Ten Haag seem a good fit, and I don’t think the team would need ripping up to settle him in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Somewhat agree, yet we’ve got a manager whose only previous experience was winning the Norwegian league and relegating Cardiff.

Which is why your post raises the usual suspicions of sentimentality, if Ole didn’t play for us, would he really have lasted this long?
In such circumstances Ole wouldn't even get the job

devilish

Arteta is a rockie manager and he is still learning on the job. He have yet deliver success but It takes time for manager to develop, and it is the same for Klopp and Tuchel as well. I won't write him off yet. Be patient. I would also say the same for Ole.
Ole is not a rookie manager. He's been a manager since 2011 and had already managed 3 different clubs.

SirAF

Ageist

He wouldn’t have been here in the first place.

Classical Mechanic

Same reason no one gives a crap about Daniel Farke winning The Championship twice.

Lee565

I laugh my head off at people saying who can we get that is available that is better than ole, bloody even the likes of Benitez would be an upgrade on ole.

kthanksbye

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Philippe Clement. In a few weeks from now when they go toe to toe with Pep's City, everyone here will be talking about him.

James35

I laugh my head off at people saying who can we get that is available that is better than ole, bloody even the likes of Benitez would be an upgrade on ole.
Me too.

Yeah the more pertinent question should be who available is worse than Ole. I'm sure this is much more difficult to answer.

Not many were saying let's keep Jose, LvG or Moyes because no one better is available. Ole sentiment will get us nowhere.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Me too.

Yeah the more pertinent question should be who available is worse than Ole. I'm sure this is much more difficult to answer.

Not many were saying let's keep Jose, LvG or Moyes because no one better is available. Ole sentiment will get us nowhere.
I'm sorry but this nonsense needs to stop. It's a fair point to say he's not exactly Pep Guardiola and Klopp standard but to say who's actually worse is just ridiculous.

We finished 3rd and 2nd last two season so this exaggeration is simply embarrassing.

It's like our fans have no middle ground. He's either great or the worst manager of all time when in fact he's somewhere in the middle.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Zidane's agent, Alain Migliaccio, has previously spoken about the prospect of his client one day managing at Old Trafford, saying: "It does not really attract him."

Via the MEN
I reckon he wants to go back to Madrid once they get back on their feet. It wouldn't hurt to do a couple of years in the premier league in the meantime though. Way too much talent on hand at United to not give it a go, he'll surely win something.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm sorry but this nonsense needs to stop. It's a fair point to say he's not exactly Pep Guardiola and Klopp standard but to say who's actually worse is just ridiculous.

We finished 3rd and 2nd last two season so this exaggeration is simply embarrassing.

It's like our fans have no middle ground. He's either great or the worst manager of all time when in fact he's somewhere in the middle.
So true.

Such a bunch of babies.

I'm unsure of him, give up on him a bit after every poor performance but some of the stuff people say - like Nuno Mendes is better at Spurs than Ole, or no one would ever hire Ole except Norwegian or championship teams after United is just cringe level IQ.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Zidane's agent, Alain Migliaccio, has previously spoken about the prospect of his client one day managing at Old Trafford, saying: "It does not really attract him."

Via the MEN
Wonder if it stops some fans wanting a manager that wouldn't want them back - or just increase their craving like their dream girl that chose a different boyfriend in high-school.

I wanted Zidane as one of my options- but after that then no thanks.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Bingo.
I reckon he wants to go back to Madrid once they get back on their feet. It wouldn't hurt to do a couple of years in the premier league in the meantime though. Way too much talent on hand at United to not give it a go, he'll surely win something.
I can't see him going back as long as Perez is there.

SuperiorXI

So true.

Such a bunch of babies.

I'm unsure of him, give up on him a bit after every poor performance but some of the stuff people say - like Nuno Mendes is better at Spurs than Ole, or no one would ever hire Ole except Norwegian or championship teams after United is just cringe level IQ.
Ole is clearly a decent manager, the results speak for themselves. I think at this point the team has outgrown him however and I do doubt that he can propel us any further than what he has. He has done a good job though and should he be replaced tomorrow he would be credited with steadying the ship and building a foundation for sure.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So true.

Such a bunch of babies.

The online side of our fanbase are a joke by and large. Obviously not true of everyone but you really can tell who the plastics are.

Ole hasn't been amazing for us not has he been disastrous. He's probably done just above average for me. Had a real job on his hands to turn us around. Whether he's the man to win the league or not remains to be seen however to call him useless is just moronic.

NoLogo

Too bad the three best Managers in the world are all at other PL clubs already.

If we could rely on Conte managing the club for longer than 1 1/2 seasons, before being pissed off with our owners, he would be my go-to guy. But well he is who he is. Maybe if we pay for an anger management course for him?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Every time we need a new manager there are very little available, that won’t really matter though as any manager in the world would be tempted by the job to manager us and would leave whoever there managing. Don’t get people saying Rodgers is a bottler did he not not win the FA and community shield by beating Chelsea and city? But I don’t think he’s right for us, I don’t think potter is aswell, he’ll turn into another moyes, over achieving at his current club but we’ll be far to big for him, imagine going from managing Maupay to managing Ronaldo. I think our first choice and the most popular choice with our fans would be ten Haag… his side play extremely good football and can blow teams away but yet again there’s question marks wether he can take the step up and do it in the premier league. Another candidate could be the Atlanta manager who play good football by playing 3 at the back… he knows how to utilise it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Was this said seriously or as a joke?

Among the many idiots who regularly grace our TV's, Sherwood really stands out as especially stupid, overall.
IF it comes to it, I said previously in the thread don’t discount him as an interim manager. Perhaps with Rooney in tow as his assistant

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
He's managing in a Championship level league were Ajax are among the richest of the lot. Its very difficult to gaige how he performs under pressure, how teams develop and the tactical influence on his team on that particular level. I mean with due respect, we're talking of a league were an ancient LVG and Mclaren could pop in, manage a random side, and win the league title with it.
There is little to form an opinion about the guy on?

- He has been at Ajax for 3.5 seasons. In the season he came halfway Ajax did not play European football at all as we failed to qualify for the Europe League. From there on he went on to become the #10 club in Europa in UEFA Coefficients since his first full season. He went on to survive in Europa over the winterbreak three times in a row (of which one Champions League semi final), which was extremely rare for Ajax in the decade before. He did so in a way which was widely praised across Europe in terms of playing style.

- On pressure, for Ajax.. Television money is absolutly shit, about 10 million euro's per year. Champions League is extremely important for Ajax in terms of money (especially since the Covid outbreak and supporters werent allowed in the stadium anymore). In his first year at Ajax he had to qualify in July/August three qualifying rounds to get in the Champions League, which he did. In his second year he again had to survive three qualifying rounds in the Champions League even though we were Dutch champions the league before (because our league is só shit the Champions had to qualify), and he survived again.

- Consider also that he basically needs to form/build his team from scratch every year (this season actually is an exception as all our important players stayed put), because every year we lose our key players/starters.
Since he came we lost Kluivert, Frenkie de Jong, De Ligt, Ziyech, Donny, Veltman, Schone, Dest, Dest, (Onana to some extent), Huntelaar, Dolberg which we all players who were regular starters at least, and some key players).

- Besides this, consider that he won áll domestic prizes since his first full season in NL and there hasnt been a single player so far who he fell out of grace with or who talked badly about him.

So please note this IS NOT an argument to make Erik Ten Hag United manager, this IS an argument that I think its absolutely ludacris to state there isnt enough information out there to form a solid opinion about the manager Erik ten Hag. There is defintely a lot of information to analyze him and come with some real arguments whether you would want him with United or not in stead of: He is Dutch and he comes from a Mickey Mouse league so he not suitable by default.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Isn't Mancini the one you'd call if you haven't won a trophy in years? He ended City, Italy and Inter's trophy drought

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The next manager should be someone who has won the Champions League recently, or at least challenged for it. The club are yet to try that level of appointment, which is crazy.

devilish

Then why are you discounting his previous experiences in other posts? He’s one or the other
His experience is not quite relevant to the job in hand as there's a world of difference between managing United and managing Molde. However he's not this young manager who might have new revolutionary tactics under his sleeve. Ole has been around for quite some time.

devilish

There is little to form an opinion about the guy on?

- He has been at Ajax for 3.5 seasons. In the season he came halfway Ajax did not play European football at all as we failed to qualify for the Europe League. From there on he went on to become the #10 club in Europa in UEFA Coefficients since his first full season. He went on to survive in Europa over the winterbreak three times in a row (of which one Champions League semi final), which was extremely rare for Ajax in the decade before. He did so in a way which was widely praised across Europe in terms of playing style.

- On pressure, for Ajax.. Television money is absolutly shit, about 10 million euro's per year. Champions League is extremely important for Ajax in terms of money (especially since the Covid outbreak and supporters werent allowed in the stadium anymore). In his first year at Ajax he had to qualify in July/August three qualifying rounds to get in the Champions League, which he did. In his second year he again had to survive three qualifying rounds in the Champions League even though we were Dutch champions the league before (because our league is só shit the Champions had to qualify), and he survived again.

- Consider also that he basically needs to form/build his team from scratch every year (this season actually is an exception as all our important players stayed put), because every year we lose our key players/starters.
Since he came we lost Kluivert, Frenkie de Jong, De Ligt, Ziyech, Donny, Veltman, Schone, Dest, Dest, (Onana to some extent), Huntelaar which we all players who were regular starters at least, and some key players).

- Besides this, consider that he won áll domestic prizes since his first full season in NL and there hasnt been a single player so far who he fell out of grace with or who talked badly about him.

So please note this IS NOT an argument to make Erik Ten Hag United manager, this IS an argument that I think its absolutely ludacris to state there isnt enough information out there to form a solid opinion about the manager Erik ten Hag. There is defintely a lot of information to analyze him and come with some real arguments whether you would want him with United or not in stead of: He is Dutch and he comes from a Mickey Mouse league so he not suitable by default.
Whatever. However I insist on what I said. We shouldn't be looking at managers managing in mickey mouse leagues were even the likes of Mclaren can go there, take a random side, and teach them how football is played. The gap between the two leagues are just too big. I'd say the same about the Scottish league, the Maltese league. Serie B and C, and the Championship so don't take that at heart.

Ten Hag should be allowed to move to an Everton like side first. If he does well then fair enough we should sign him up. Hopefully he'll do better then the other Ajax phenomenon De Boer who got sacked by Inter then by Palace at record time.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He isn't the 'romantic' choice, but he is a hell of a lot better of a manager than Ole.
Says who? Because he's doing a decent job at Brighton where there is no pressure?

This club who ruin him. His hair would turn grey within minutes of having to appease our fanbase. It's a whole different world.

Potter isn't anywhere near ready for our club. Only reason Ole got the call was because he's lived it and knows us inside out otherwise he wouldn't have got the job either.

Potter would be a option for Spurs or someone like that. A team that wants to win the PL and CL won't go near him so why should we?

Status
Not open for further replies.