Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, at this point, I am starting to lose hope that a new coach will change anything. Even the best coaches will inherit the donut squad with nothing in it's centre. It's been 9 seasons since we last won the title. Soon it will be 10. Would anyone be shocked if 10 turned to 15, 15 to 20? I suspect we'll be back at this point in the manager boom and bust cycle in 3 years time. I'm just going to give up hope that things will improve.

InfiniteBoredom

Get Zidane in with the implicit understanding that he is to get the most out of this squad, and we won’t detain him if the French NT job opens up. Meanwhile, start drawing up a shortlist of good young managers with good coaching credentials to replace him in 1 or 2 years time.

vva

The best chance for considering a new manager is around December in case Man United fail to get into next round of UCL. At that point, I think the pressure will be too huge and the board will be forced to take some action.

MrSingh2002

It's not as though we need the world's best manager with this squad.

We just need someone that doesn't consistently make the wrong decisions.

That would be enough.

I'd take half of the Premier League managers over Ole and it would mean we challenge for the league.

Ralph1386

The fact that most top managers are unavailable right now doesn’t mean that we can’t hire someone more decent until the end of the season. Wishful thinking with this board, I know.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm quite certain if Zidane wants to come Ole is on a short leash right now. The club will love Zidane status and will see him as perfect for this team.

MrSingh2002

I'm quite certain if Zidane wants to come Ole is on a short leash right now. The club will love Zidane status and will see him as perfect for this team.
How is Zidanes setup defensively? I know it was good enough to win 4 Champions Leagues so that's good enough for me.

LoneStar

Don't you think Zidane would be more of the same? Those CLs were largely won on individual brilliance.
I'm not sure about his tactics, other people can speak to that. But winning 4 CLs can't be considered luck or individual brilliance imo. It's not like their squad was not stacked before he came.

But yes, I'm curious what RM fans have to say about him from a tactical perspective.

InfiniteBoredom

Don't you think Zidane would be more of the same? Those CLs were largely won on individual brilliance.
He contested 5 league seasons with them including the one he came in halfway through to replace Benitez, won 2, one without Ronaldo, lost 2 by 1 and 2 pts respectively and his worst league season still managed a better pts total than anything Ole has managed so far. Also the 3 CLs, one 1/16 (lost to City) and one SF (lost to Chelsea).

That’s consistency, regardless of how you feel that team played. If we have anything even close to it this thread wouldn’t exist.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The season can still be saved if the club acts now.

Flytan

I just want a manager that holds players to certain standards and holds them accountable when they don't reach them. Ole was the perfect interim manager since he's everyone's best friend but him smiling at the whistle although pretty minor just shows his attitude. He doesn't have that ability to drive players to winning. Just look at how the squad always talks about being happy and supports each other after missed penalties. That's cool and all but I'd rather have a trophy. Give me someone who will push players to perform even if it has a chance at imploding. Tired of the "safe choice" in Ole.

Is Zidane that kind of manager? I don't have a clue. Conte seems to be. Just get someone in who won't accept mediocrity.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You don't win three back to back CL's on just individual brilliance. If it was that easy then why has no other manager come close to achieving that?

If you want to see how good Zidane tactically go back and watch the two legs against Liverpool last season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Honestly, at this point, I am starting to lose hope that a new coach will change anything. Even the best coaches will inherit the donut squad with nothing in it's centre. It's been 9 seasons since we last won the title. Soon it will be 10. Would anyone be shocked if 10 turned to 15, 15 to 20? I suspect we'll be back at this point in the manager boom and bust cycle in 3 years time. I'm just going to give up hope that things will improve.
We have an excellent squad. One weaknesses doesn't change that. City have to CF. Doubt anyone would call their next manager's task a real headache

MUFC OK

The best chance for considering a new manager is around December in case Man United fail to get into next round of UCL. At that point, I think the pressure will be too huge and the board will be forced to take some action.
Blundering our way to the ko stages whilst sacrificing our title challenge by mid November isn’t enough to get him the sack?

MUFC OK

But we won’t, ole is no way near to be sacked. Things will have to get incredibly ugly before it’s even a possibility. We never act when we should.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Time for John Murtough to step up and do his role if the board are clueless or too blind.

Yakuza_devils

How can people doubt Zidane when we have Molde's manager in charge?

And Zidane's Madrid play much better football than us. The individual brilliance argument is lazy.

We have missed out of enough great managers. Don't mess this up again!

Xanther

We have an excellent squad. One weaknesses doesn't change that. City have to CF. Doubt anyone would call their next manager's task a real headache
That's an entirely different context, mate. Pep will have City throttle almost any team and their midfielders will be high-scoring in the process, almost negating the need for a striker. We can't say the same for midfield, because that's the lifeblood of any serious team. Mix that in with Ole's general incompetence...

Amir

Even individual briliant has to be directed in order to get the best out of.

Not every team has to be set up like City. And even they or Liverpool depend to some extend on individual ability (otherwise you could send on any 11 and it will work great - it doesn't). But even team that are reliant on individuals more than systems NEED some sort of system and style.

Stringer

I would even appoint a caretaker manager if there is no one suitable for a permanent post at the minute. At least with that there is a slim chance this team can challenge and/or win something this season.

Reddevildans

I know we really shouldn't give a shit what rival fans think but considering they want ole to stay as manager tells you everything you need to know about the current manager. Has anyone discussed Mancini? Done well at city and pretty attacking.

Superden

There was a time when you could list at least 7 or 8 highly regarded managers here and in europe that would love the UTD job, now it seems there's a handful of elite managers who are happily ensconced at their clubs and we would have no chance attracting them and everyone else is a much of a muchness or Zidane.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's an entirely different context, mate. Pep will have City throttle almost any team and their midfielders will be high-scoring in the process, almost negating the need for a striker. We can't say the same for midfield, because that's the lifeblood of any serious team. Mix that in with Ole's general incompetence...
I means that's it really. Chelsea's defence which we used to laugh at under Lampard is now solid under Tuchel. I'm under no illusions that this midfield is perfect - it needs improvement. But Ole should already done that and I don't think it's difficult puzzle to solve. Quality coaching and a couple of CMs will be transformational.

Superden

Fergies there at pretty much every match, just give him the caretaker role now. Let Cr7 do the day to day team stuff. It would be beautiful,

Trezeguet17

Look at the squad we have and what Ole is doing with it. Ronaldo is probably only going to stay for 2 years and we are wasting one of it with Ole.
I want him gone

wolvored

I really don’t think someone like Potter would be ready for a job like United. Like Ole, he would also be competing with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.
Having a brand and actually implementing it successfully at a big club and making players (including big name players) believe and work hard for it are two completely different things.
Nagelsmann case for example is different. First Bayern’s squad is miles better than any other in their league. Second Nagelsmann already had good experience in the CL before he joined Bayern.
The thing is you have to compare their records when Ole was at an equivalent club, Cardiff. Potter has players playing so the team is greater than the parts, with attractive attacking football. Ole was a pile of shit at Cardiff, with poor play and got them relegated and then struggled in the championship as well, before rightfully getting the sack. Potter would definitely be a big upgrade on Ole. Whether he could lead us to the title is another thing, but if he was given the budget Ole has had, who knows?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A manager or staff that are tactically astute and have progressive ideas.

There are too many really high quality managers in the Premier League now.

You can't get away with having a figure head type manager with his friends as his staff.

I'm for Ten Hag amd habe even warmed to Conte.

siw2007

Though I’m no advocate of him, at this point, I’d be willing to do the deal with the devil and take Conte, even if just on a short term contract. The season is threatening to fall into mediocrity, this can’t happen this year, maybe in a previous year but not now with our investment so I think it’s important that we get the most of this season.

Reyoji-Utd

I think this might be the last year for him if the club is not going anywhere.

I have my doubt that his plan and play for this season is somewhat in trouble becasue of the purchase of Ronaldo in the final day of transfer window. Having Ronaldo is somewhat changing the way we play and it shown the last few matches. We are turning into Juventus because the play are trying to go through Ronaldo most of the time and wasnt as fluent.

doomy20

We just had the best transfer window in a decade. Are top 4 in the league and still in the CL. Club will do absolutely nothing until sh*ts going down, meaning CL out, title out of reach etc. Plus Ole is a club legend and humble af, even more hard to get rid of him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Only a matter of time

Thing is, I could easily see us going very defensive in a lot of those games and getting "decent" results, like 0-0 draws or snatch 1-0 wins against the likes Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

Our big problems are coping with counter attacks and creating chances, but those will be lesser issues if we're happily parking a bus and countering ourselves.

El Zoido

We just had the best transfer window in a decade. Are top 4 in the league and still in the CL. Club will do absolutely nothing until sh*ts going down, meaning CL out, title out of reach etc. Plus Ole is a club legend and humble af, even more hard to get rid of him
He seems nice enough to step aside if asked..

Status
Not open for further replies.