Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

I hope we’re not foolish enough to go anywhere near Rodgers. I might not have taken him at his peak but appointing him on the back of this season would be utter stupidity. Knowing our board, I fully expect our next manager to be Brendan.
A lot of managers have a shelf life. Mourhino and Benetiez are prime examples. I think Poch and Rodgers fall into that category now. Time to move on. What the choice was 3 years ago, is totally different now.

I’m not sure who the next manager should be because I don’t really follow European football in depth to give an opinion, but what I do know is who definitely shouldn’t be the next manager.

Polar

Really hope Zidane change his mind. He has the potential to compete with Pep and Klopp and make United great again.

Edit: Pochettino the same.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
A lot of managers have a shelf life. Mourhino and Benetiez are prime examples. I think Poch and Rodgers fall into that category now. Time to move on. What the choice was 3 years ago, is totally different now.

I’m not sure who the next manager should be because I don’t really follow European football in depth to give an opinion, but what I do know is who definitely shouldn’t be the next manager.
Agree with Mourinho and Benitez. They failed to keep up. Rodgers just profited from lack of competition and a great player in 13/14. Never did anything great before or after.

Pochettino? I actually think he introduced «modern football» to the PL. Would not be surprised if we have yet to see the best from him. PSGs squad dont suit him, but it will be a good experience for him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So frustrating that Conte was available and we let him go. Rangnick is also the best interim we can get but we don't want him because he wants control to do what he's better than everybody at the club in. The sad part is these two managers wanted to come here and they are among best possible options as full time and interim even among managers already in clubs .

We are now left with the most underwhelming options until the end of the season. There's simply nobody we can get right now on a permanent that I think is capable of winning us the league. Interim is the best option right now then we assess in the summer. Blanc seems to be our first choice but I've seen some say he was carried heavily by his assistant and that he's racist. He's also not exactly done anything the last few years even with his current club. Favre would be my choice for interim

TheLiverBird

. Rodgers just profited from lack of competition and a great player in 13/14. Never did anything great before or after.
Oh come on

Didn’t do anything great afterwards?

He went on to win a load of trophies in Scotland, ok it’s Scotland, but he won several trophies with Celtic, rebuilt his stock, jumped to Leicester who had be flirting with the middle of the table for a few seasons, Rodgers comes in and they suddenly start challenging for top 4 winning the FA Cup.

That’s all pretty darn good if you ask me.

I’m not saying he’d be suitable for United, I don’t think United should go for him is my personal opinion.

But to suggest he’s done nothing great is imo blindsightedness.

He’s obviously a good manager, just because he’s not suited for United at this moment in time doesn’t mean he’s a nothing manager.

Polar

Pochettino? I actually think he introduced «modern football» to the PL. Would not be surprised if we have yet to see the best from him. PSGs squad dont suit him, but it will be a good experience for him.
Think you’re right. I’ve been negative to him in the past, but let’s face the facts. He did a great job in PL and I like his style; attractive football.

Let’s give him a chance. He always wanted to join us.

Mainoldo

Just going to put it out there. Southgate ain’t doing frig all for 4 months.

Godfather

Just get Zizou and let's see where he takes us. If it doesn't work out either so be it. But he's our best chance now I guess. We've missed out on all the top managers

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am not a big fan of Conte but he was the obvious answer. Now it is difficult.
Our board might be in contact with some candidates, maybe hoped to get along with Ole until Rodgers or preferably Poch gets the sack. Or others like Ten Hag said let’s talk in the summer.
They are simply not prepared for what happened these past weeks. The level of awfulness surprised us all I assume. Absolute collapse.

At this point I am not against trying Zidane, although I am not sure he is what we need at the moment. Our squad is overrated and unbalanced and we need someone ruthless enough to get a neutral opinion on what we have and what we need.
Maguire not good enough? Bruno too sloppy? Ronaldo hinders the way we play? To the bench you go.

Also from Zidane‘s point of view he got something to lose. He got himself a good name and surely wants to manage either the French team or in La Liga or the French league so he might think twice to come to us right now.

Son

Really hope Zidane change his mind. He is the only alternative who has the potential to compete with Pep and Klopp and make United great again.
What gives you this assumption?

He knows nothing about English football and his Madrid side weren’t ever super consistent in La Liga even with the crazy stacked squad they had.

I rate Klopp and especially Guardiola a lot higher. I don’t think Zidane comes close to either as a tactician or philosopher of football.

Apart from he’s more famous as a person which might bring us some nice players I guess.

Son

So frustrating that Conte was available and we let him go. Rangnick is also the best interim we can get but we don't want him because he wants control to do what he's better than everybody at the club in. The sad part is these two managers wanted to come here and they are among best possible options as full time and interim even among managers already in clubs .

We are now left with the most underwhelming options until the end of the season. There's simply nobody we can get right now on a permanent that I think is capable of winning us the league. Interim is the best option right now then we assess in the summer. Blanc seems to be our first choice but I've seen some say he was carried heavily by his assistant and that he's racist. He's also not exactly done anything the last few years even with his current club. Favre would be my choice for interim
The only reason we won’t bring in Rangnick is because as you say our higher ups don’t want what is actually best for the club.

They only care about keeping a top position to line their own pockets and play real life football manager with the fans money.

Bring in Zidane then sack him and onto the next en-vogue thing to throw cash at.

Steve 007

It should have been Conte.
I’ll take Zidane but his lack of PL experience scares me, but you don’t win 3 CL’s without having something.
Please not Rodgers.
I’d take Pottechino or Ancelotti but they won’t leave those clubs for us.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It should have been Conte.
I’ll take Zidane but his lack of PL experience scares me, but you don’t win 3 CL’s without having something.
Please not Rodgers.
I’d take Pottechino or Ancelotti but they won’t leave those clubs for us.
Yeah that something was one of the best squads of all time and a ton of luck.

Bestietom

This time we MUST get it right.
We need a manager who will take no nonsense from any of these players.
You must give 110% every game.
Respect for the manager coaches and fans.

Steve 007

Yeah that something was one of the best squads of all time and a ton of luck.
We’ve all seen how difficult it is to manage star studded squads, it takes ‘something’ and luck is created by doing good things. There was lots of competition for that CL trio, Bayern, City, PSG, Liverpool all had amazing squads.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Lopetugui?? Wasn't he a failure at Madrid or am I completely making that up?

crossy1686

career ending
If we're going to appoint an interim for a few months, just get Keane in. He'll at least strip Maguire of the captaincy and drop people who are playing shit.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Poch is our man. He’s been destined for the job and should have never been allowed to go to PSG in the first place.

ETH a close second choice.

Zidane is only acceptable as an interim, he is not what we need.

AneRu

Maybe, but from his perspective it is a lot of risk. He is a former Dipper after all and a marmite personality (and I think he is aware of this.) For me, he must be aware that if he takes the job he will have to hit the ground running. If he requires a few months to implement his ideas then the knives will be out.

Personally, I cannot see him wanting to do that. Like other managers, Summer for sure, at this moment, not so sure, especially when said manager is in a very stable position.
Not overly keen on him but he is the most likely to say yes out of the candidates available. But you are right we will be having this discussion in 18 months. If we want to maintain our British fetish, Ole may be Norwegian but he was so steeped in British traditions that he was as good as a British manager, then we should take a chance on Potter.

The club really shot themselves in the foot when they snubbed Conte and the worrying thing about it all is how unprepared they were for the eventuality of sacking Ole mid-season. After living through the Moyes/LVG ruts what did they think was going to happen to Ole after Liverpool? I didn't know that a man could be highly educated like Woodward and his cronies but still remain brainless.

Mainoldo

It has to be Ralph for me now. Sort out Ten Hag or Poch in the summer. This board isn’t good enough to bring in a manager now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Zidane or Ten Haag are logical (and best choices). If Zidane is really not interested then we must go for Ten Haag now. Just rebuy his contract. It is not that hard ffs. I doubt that he will refuse this chance.
No interim please, please, please. Resolve manager situation now

Drizzle

This is a risky job to take right now. A grossly unbalanced squad with rampant egos and an incompetent board. A managerial reputation could easily be in tatters by spring.

My worry is that the elite level managers we need (Poch, ETH, Zidane) will be saying no thanks, at least until the summer when they could work with the squad and have a transfer window to change things.

Leaving the odds and ends. The ones many years past their best (Blanc), the not quite good enough (Rodgers), the complete gambles (Potter, Lopetegui etc).

But we're still so early in the season that we can't ask an interim like Fletcher to busk it until May because we could genuinely drop to lower mid-table.

What an unbelievable mess. Which could all have been solved by giving Conte an 18 month contract. Books will be written on this clusterfeck of a board.

I suspect they'll go with Blanc to steady the ship until May, and it'll be another disaster.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Has anyone got the time to mock up the cvs of the top candidates so I can make an informed decision please.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.