Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I reckon neither are.

We need an interim who wants the opportunity to have a go at the CL with this team, before heading off.
Bit like a statement to put on their CV.

Then head for ETH in the summer.
Got everything crossed we don't go down the ex Utd player route for an interim, mind you seeing a Keano scare the crap out of this lot would be box office

Foxbatt

It's got to be Ten Hag. He says United has not contacted him so he is concentrating on Ajax as he is the manager and he wants his players to concentrate on it too.
We have to get him but I am afraid the clowns will mess it up and get Poch or Rogers or Zidane.
Ten Hag is also operating with much less budget than Spurs and getting better results.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ronaldo has won 5 CL as best player for his team, without being asked to play any pressing role throughout. Go figure it out, if that’s what you want Ronaldo to do for us.
He was younger. It was Real Madrid at the height of their power when they had the best players in every position and Zidane motivating them. Football has changed. You have to be realistic. Constant wishful thinking is what got us into this mess.

37 year old Ronaldo won't press. He won't even try. It's going to be a major problem if you want a high press because by definition your players highest up the pitch have to press. So either ETH and Poch would have a Ronaldo shaped headache (not as bad as the headache Poch has at PSG right now with Mbappe, Neymar and Di Maria up front and nobody knowing what the playing style is except give the ball to Messi.)

Why do football fans always ignore the elephant in the room and then a year or two later complain that the board were morons for doing exactly the same?

croadyman

Well they could go for someone like Keane, Hughes or Bruce who actually have real experience. Giving Carrick or Fletcher the role to the end of the season is just nonsense. Feck me, even Ince has more sense to it than one of those two. If he wasn't such a slimeball, I would have had money on Giggs getting the role.
Bruce's style with this team terrifies me and Hughes has had some very underwhelming managerial stints too

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was younger. It was Real Madrid at the height of their power when they had the best players in every position and Zidane motivating them. Football has changed. You have to be realistic. Constant wishful thinking is what got us into this mess.

37 year old Ronaldo won't press. He won't even try. It's going to be a major problem if you want a high press because by definition your players highest up the pitch have to press. So either ETH and Poch would have a Ronaldo shaped headache (not as bad as the headache Poch has at PSG right now with Mbappe, Neymar and Di Maria up front and nobody knowing what the playing style is except give the ball to Messi.)

Why do football fans always ignore the elephant in the room and then a year or two later complain that the board were morons for doing exactly the same?
23 year old or peak Ronaldo doesn’t press either, that’s what I am trying to say, if lack of pressing is your main concern.

FerociousCorgis

doubt it will be rodgers. Of all the possibilities he would be the one who would be expected to join immediately. With it sounding like summer will be our manager coming in feel like either hag or poch. Hard to tell which. Feel like they might be reading how they should go hag and that be something they decide to appease people, but seems like theyve always liked poch.

Interval

Level
Pochettino has been in the managerial game for nearly 13 years and not really won anything much. He just seems like a manager who will probably keep getting jobs because he's on that merry-go-round but hasn't really proven himself to be an outstanding manager.

He took over perennial mid-table side Espanyol and guided them to a series of mid-table finishes. He finished 8th with Southampton in his only full season there, which is decent I guess. He did decent at Spurs but despite getting to a CL final he still never had that standout/breakthrough moment there. Now he's at PSG, the de facto pools panel winner of La Liga before a ball is kicked and I think is very unlikely to make in-roads in the CL this year.

Ten Hag hasn't been on as big a stage as Pochettino but he's won titles in Holland. It's up to you if you how you want to value that.
This is a great summary. Id also add that Poch’s team don’t seem to have a distinct identity or style of play. Even if you look deeper, it’s more pragmatic than visionary. Also, I can’t make up my mind whether Poch is Brendan Mk 2 or someone who’ll get elevated at the right club.

ten Haag is also an experiment in that sense but has a different issue of not having managed large egos. But his style is clearly more future looking that we have not tried in our last 4 appointments.

think TH will be a better appointment. But like you aptly said, you know the risks in both. How to evaluate them is anyone’s call.

Jibbs

I would prefer Ten Hag over Poch.

I would prefer Poch over Rodgers or bloody Lopetegui.

Lopetugui :houllier:
Lapetugui is a fantastic coach. I would prefer Ten Hag or Pochettino as they are bigger names but Lopetugui sides are well drilled and menacing. His style of play resembles Conte though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

So you are basically saying Ronaldo cannot absolutely play in a team ,where there is a requirement to press high? Well, not saying you are wrong but I would like to think otherwise. Messi or Ronaldo has never been a consistent pressing player. Pressing doesn't mean , you have to run all the game chasing the ball carriers. Coaches design certain specific pressing areas and reduce the space available to pass.

For e.g - a manager can decide to play Ronaldo on the left when the team doesn't have the ball. Means, Ronaldo has to shut down the right backs passing lane while the rest of the team take care of other areas.

How do you think Barca implemented a high pressing strategy with all those Old guards ? Aguero wasn't known for his pressing or hardworking either and he did fine under Pep. Before Messi and Poch PSG pressed with Mbappe and Neymar.

The notion that CR7 doesn't press at all is BS. We just need the right manager to get the best from him. Whether Poch is the man to do that, I don't know.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His last summer signings were Ndombele for 55m, Lo Celso on loan with an option to buy (Poch didn't trigger the option to buy), and Sessegnon for 23m. I wouldn't call 78m as big money considering that the big club can provide him more.

He is about to win Ligue 1 this season if he stays end of the season (Tuchel won it with PSG), he reached semi final CL last season (Tuchel lost to Ole in his first PSG season CL), he reached final CL with Spurs (Tuchel reached final CL in his 2nd season CL). There are some signs of similarities between him and Tuchel in their career, did you also think Tuchel doesn't have what it takes to overcome Pep and Klopp when Chelsea appointed him on the first day?
Yes, admittedly I did think like that. How about you?
It does look similar. Just as similar when we're trying to sign Maguire, and people kept using Van Dijk as reference to justify the signing. There are similarity, but when you watch them closely how they play, they are different.

Last edited:

Caesar2290

Poch got Spurs playing some very good football. And ETH is in a position to play well with Ajax and that's great. But so did the likes of Koeman, it doesnt mean anything.

The only reason people love Ten Hag is because the 2017 season of the champions league. But then they should be consistent and consider Poch run to the CL final. Of course they would not do this, because you know, Poch didn't take Spurs all the way. Even though he did improve them by two or three levels.
No mate, that's not it. The reason people love ETH is because the way he plays. He sets out his team to dominate and play attacking football and getting results, while Poch plays pragmatic football. If the CL was the only criteria why people love ETH then Poch would have had an almost God like status amongst the CAFtards simply because he went further. It's not the teams you beat, it the way you beat them that wins the hearts of the neutrals.

If there is a sniff of Poch being available mid-season, United definitely make that move.

He is a dream for the Glazers. Has worked under extreme financial restraints in the past and is generally quite coy in the media. Basically the Anti-Mourinho.

What he did with Spurs cannot be written off. Yes, no trophy to show for it - but if you break it down and bring in the money factor it was a serious journey. The wheels really fell off, but that wasn't all on him.

I wouldn't be disappointed in the short term.
You're right, Poch will be the final jigsaw in us becoming Arsenal.

He was managing Spurs. There were consistently 5-6 teams paying more transfer fees and higher wages. He was forced into playing seasons with Winks-Sissoko as his CM partnership and had summers with 0 incomings.

It was Levy’s greed and refusal to let him freshen up the squad that eventually got him sacked, after guaranteeing CL football for a club with only the odd appearance his arrival.

He took “Lads, it’s Spurs”, to within 90 minutes of being the best team in Europe. He had United and City lining up to pay 50 million for Dier and Rose.

Unbelievable job and he deserves a chance at a club like United.
Tbf so did ETH. So far only De Jong has been a hit. Every other player that left his team has yet to impress. For fecks sake the man has Haller who was a West Ham flop as the CL top scorer. He literally has a team of rejects punching above their weight and looking as on the best teams in the CL.

Levi1

No mate, that's not it. The reason people love ETH is because the way he plays. He sets out his team to dominate and play attacking football and getting results, while Poch plays pragmatic football. If the CL was the only criteria why people love ETH then Poch would have had an almost God like status amongst the CAFtards simply because he went further. It's not the teams you beat, it the way you beat them that wins the hearts of the neutrals.

Tbf so did ETH. So far only De Jong has been a hit. Every other player that left his team has yet to impress. For fecks sake the man has Haller who was a West Ham flop as the CL top scorer. He literally has a team of rejects punching above their weight and looking as on the best teams in the CL.
You, sir, have made some scintillating points.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You explained it better, bro @Caesar2290 . My mouth is just salivating with the thought of United playing like Ajax. With the players we have and financial backing, maybe some more than that. Damn it, i hope football god have mercy on us, and for once, we get the right guy (or gal).

Last edited:

croadyman

Give it to Rangnick to the end of the season, and then watch Ajax and PSG's performance closely - this season is a job interview for Ten Hag and Poch basically. Whoever is more impressive gets the job at the end. Ragnick to be DoF.
What a great idea

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is a great summary. Id also add that Poch’s team don’t seem to have a distinct identity or style of play. Even if you look deeper, it’s more pragmatic than visionary. Also, I can’t make up my mind whether Poch is Brendan Mk 2 or someone who’ll get elevated at the right club.

ten Haag is also an experiment in that sense but has a different issue of not having managed large egos. But his style is clearly more future looking that we have not tried in our last 4 appointments.

think TH will be a better appointment. But like you aptly said, you know the risks in both. How to evaluate them is anyone’s call.
Sounds like we will be heading into an Ole situation again. Some will want Manager X out for not having an identity or winning record after 6 months. Then others will be pining for their new favourite.

Its the grass is always greener yo-yo the next few years. Same shit, different day going forward.

croadyman

Agree with someone earlier who said that Pochettino feels like Jose as another itch this club has to scratch

Foxbatt

Exactly right. They are a bunch of rejects and they are playing well because he has got them playing like that. I am not sure if Daley Blind would have got a chance under Ole. He did not under Jose yet he is a regular in that Ajax side. That Haller chappie is a West Ham failure. Their midfield player DVB cannot even get 15 mins at United. He certainly gets his team to play in a good positive way. We need him but for sure the clowns in charge won't get him.

meamth

I think the next manager has to be the "perfect appointment" after all those years lumbering in failures and lessons.

David Moyes - Proven PL manager but never won anything, failures to secure top signings and not someone with a great forward thinking in terms of playing style.
Louis Van Gaal - Proven coach, but didn't get United. Think he can sign any type of players for United, that failed miserably. Possession based coach, but oh boy it was boring.
Jose Mourinho - Past it Elite manager (was still a good manager then) Ego too high, wanting more and more players, creates dissonance with the playing staff and himself. Also his football is pragmatic.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Young manager, but lacking ideas on how to dominate teams. Always wanting to play fast direct football. Top guy and great personnel management, but too nice to be a United a manager.

The next manager must be a combination of young, great coach and a good man manager. I want him to be ruthless too.

All this points out to Erik, he can be ruthless in interviews, other aspects he already ticked them off.

stoinz

I'd prefer Ten Hag in the summer but don't mind Poch too. I hope the club has learn its lesson. Doesn't matter who comes in as long we are prepare to make decisive changes if the next managerial appointment doesn't work out. To be honest, other than Klopp or Pep, any other managerial appointments will be a risk. We just need to be smarter to manage such risks.

Eddy_JukeZ

I would be devastated if we didn't go for Ten Hag.

Our ceiling with him would be the highest and he's on the rise.

Pochettino might have already peaked.

sglowrider

I think the next manager has to be the "perfect appointment" after all those years lumbering in failures and lessons.

David Moyes - Proven PL manager but never won anything, failures to secure top signings and not someone with a great forward thinking in terms of playing style.
Louis Van Gaal - Proven coach, but didn't get United. Think he can sign any type of players for United, that failed miserably. Possession based coach, but oh boy it was boring.
Jose Mourinho - Past it Elite manager (was still a good manager then) Ego too high, wanting more and more players, creates dissonance with the playing staff and himself. Also his football is pragmatic.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Young manager, but lacking ideas on how to dominate teams. Always wanting to play fast direct football. Top guy and great personnel management, but too nice to be a United a manager.

The next manager must be a combination of young, great coach and a good man manager. I want him to be ruthless too.

All this points out to Erik, he can be ruthless in interviews, other aspects he already ticked them off.
If Erik was to be appointed and if he wasn't successful within 18month, people here will be saying that he was too young and that the Dutch league just isn't a good stepping stone for the EPL. Too big a leap just like for many of their players.

mav_9me

I'll be honest, I'll be gutted if we don't end up with Ten Hag.
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment big time. I highly highly doubt they are even considering Ten Haag.

I mean football clearly comes secondary to the business/sales/revenue aspect of things for them. So for them it's more important we have a well known name leading us, which would be Zidane. Even Rodgers and Poch count as known names even if they are not as sexy or as big celebrity names. Ten Haag would bring nothing to the table from a status point of view. I would be shocked if they are even considering him, let alone actually appoint him.

And also even if they got him, it's not a simple path to awesome football. He will need the right structure around him, right support. Which sadly we lack.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but I have resigned myself to a Liverpool level of mediocrity while the glazers continue as owners.

BlackShark_80

doubt it will be rodgers. Of all the possibilities he would be the one who would be expected to join immediately. With it sounding like summer will be our manager coming in feel like either hag or poch. Hard to tell which. Feel like they might be reading how they should go hag and that be something they decide to appease people, but seems like theyve always liked poch.
My money is on Rodgers as he likely won't last until christmas.

meamth

If Erik was to be appointed and if he wasn't successful within 18month, people here will be saying that he was too young and that the Dutch league just isn't a good stepping stone for the EPL. Too big a leap just like for many of their players.
Let's not forget that United fans are the most patient, and as long as we start playing as a proper big team, the complaints about style of play is gone.
Next is to win something, and with this squad, I think he could win something.

I think he has the right attributes as a coach and a manager to take him further to the next level. The proper top level Moneyball manager signing, all pointers goes towards him at this moment.

OrdinaryVice

The reason i don't want Poch is because i watched at least 10 games of PSG this season, and well, it did not look goot at all.

Caesar2290

You explained it better, bro @Caesar2290 . My mouth is just salivating with the thought of United playing like Ajax. With the players we have and financial backing, maybe some more than that. Damn it, i hope football god have mercy on us, and for once, we get the right guy (or gal).
You're not alone mate. Just the thought of ETH being our manager makes my day brighter.:drool:

TBF though the footballing Gods have smiled upon US twice in our history so far: once with Sir Matt and the other time with Sir Alex.;)

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment big time. I highly highly doubt they are even considering Ten Haag.

I mean football clearly comes secondary to the business/sales/revenue aspect of things for them. So for them it's more important we have a well known name leading us, which would be Zidane. Even Rodgers and Poch count as known names even if they are not as sexy or as big celebrity names. Ten Haag would bring nothing to the table from a status point of view. I would be shocked if they are even considering him, let alone actually appoint him.

And also even if they got him, it's not a simple path to awesome football. He will need the right structure around him, right support. Which sadly we lack.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but I have resigned myself to a Liverpool level of mediocrity while the glazers continue as owners.
They do know about him. All signs point out to this being a Ten Hag vs Poch battle to the death. And something tells me the CL will be their audition.

Zidane is not interested. Conte is at Spurs. Rodgers is viewed as a back up in case we can't get either ETH or Poch, otherwise we would have already briefed that he is our No. 1 target.

So far all the briefs have been that our board is going to wait for the end of the season before making a decision. And I think after the OGS interim debacle this time they will actually wait before making a decision.

Kaos

Yeah I’m pretty much resigned to years of mediocrity, and settling for an OKish manager at best. Best I’m hoping for is at least some watchable football.

Foxbatt

You're not alone mate. Just the thought of ETH being our manager makes my day brighter.:drool:

TBF though the footballing Gods have smiled upon US twice in our history so far: once with Sir Matt and the other time with Sir Alex.;)

They do know about him. All signs point out to this being a Ten Hag vs Poch battle to the death. And something tells me the CL will be their audition.

Zidane is not interested. Conte is at Spurs. Rodgers is viewed as a back up in case we can't get either ETH or Poch, otherwise we would have already briefed that he is our No. 1 target.

So far all the briefs have been that our board is going to wait for the end of the season before making a decision. And I think after the OGS interim debacle this time they will actually wait before making a decision.
I really hope Ajax goes far in the CL. Not too far as to get Poch the sack and PSG going after Ten Hag. Neither City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Bayern are going to change this summer so PSG is the only one going to go for Ten Hag is Poch fails. And obviously if the clowns in charge at United thinks Ten Hag is a top manager.

Kaos

Is his job in jeopardy?
The fans are seemingly starting to turn on him, and they’re currently 12th. Remember they sacked Ranieri a season after winning them the league. So it wouldn’t be unheard of them to part ways with him this season.

Caesar2290

This is now an ETH thread:devil:

So if we divide 500 by 185 we get 2.7 goals per game. Absolutely insane.

croadyman

We simply have to go all out for Ten Hag, if we can't get the deal done then should go for Pochettino. I get the distinct impression Zidane isn't interested at all

sglowrider

This is now an ETH thread:devil:

So if we divide 500 by 185 we get 2.7 goals per game. Absolutely insane.
Maybe but scoring in the Dutch league isn't exactly like scoring in the Spanish or Italian leagues. There has been many examples of prolific Erevedisie strikers who flopped big time in the EPL. For every Ruud there are 10 other flops.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rodgers and Pochettino would be horrible appointments and a waste of 2-3 years until the board are under enough pressure to do another swap.

Has to be Ten Hag.

Status
Not open for further replies.