Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rangnick looks to play a very high line with the aim to play the game in the opposition's half, which is what ten Hag also does. Pochettino I can't remember doing that at Spurs.

Applying aggressive pressure high up the pitch is also something which is more in common with ten Hag. Poch is said to have played like that at Southampton but from my recollection, his Spurs team was a bit of a mixed bag that got plaudits for running a lot, rather than their play style in possession.

The big difference between Rangnick and ten Hag is the contrasting styles whilst in possession. Rangnick like many coaches, looks to go from A to Z with minimal amount of passes, with heavy emphasis on verticality between the lines. Ten hag also looks to implement a vertical axis but instead of going from A to Z with minimal passes, his team looks to maintain zonal and positional control via ball possession. That's the big difference between Rangnick and ten Hag IMO. Pochettino I can't tell what his identity is from watching Spurs. And it looked like he favoured a conservative approach mostly from the games I watched.

But from having followed Rangnick's career, he has shown to favour a particular style of coach who implements a similar play style as himself. So if we I was to assume he was gonna follow the same thought process at United, then I'd say the below names are some of the coaches he'd look to bring in. (I know some won't be available to us)

Adi Hutter, Jurgen Klopp, Marco Rose, Jesse Marsch, Julian Nagelsmann, Gerard Seoane etc.

Womp

idiot
If Graham Potter was called Grahamaldo Pottinho the Caf would be going crazy for him.
TBF my preferred choice is Ten Hag, but I'd be all for Potter. I was saying Potter would be an option to replace Ole when he was still here. You can see my posts back from a year or even further about how highly I rate Brighton. With a very underwhelming squad, they create some very good xG chances, play some very good football at times.

There are two issues though. 1. I don't see any chance in hell of the board even considering him at this current time and 2. His lack of experience at a club with higher expectations.

Greck

Rangnick looks to play a very high line with the aim to play the game in the opposition's half, which is what ten Hag also does. Pochettino I can't remember doing that at Spurs.

Applying aggressive pressure high up the pitch is also something which is more in common with ten Hag. Poch is said to have played like that at Southampton but from my recollection, his Spurs team was a bit of a mixed bag that got plaudits for running a lot, rather than their play style in possession.

The big difference between Rangnick and ten Hag is the contrasting styles whilst in possession. Rangnick like many coaches, looks to go from A to Z with minimal amount of passes, with heavy emphasis on verticality between the lines. Ten hag also looks to implement a vertical axis but instead of going from A to Z with minimal passes, his team looks to maintain zonal and positional control via ball possession. That's the big difference between Rangnick and ten Hag IMO. Pochettino I can't tell what his identity is from watching Spurs. And it looked like he favoured a conservative approach mostly from the games I watched.

But from having followed Rangnick's career, he has shown to favour a particular style of coach who implements a similar play style as himself. So if we I was to assume he was gonna follow the same thought process at United, then I'd say the below names are some of the coaches he'd look to bring in. (I know some won't be available to us)

Adi Hutter, Jurgen Klopp, Marco Rose, Jesse Marsch, Julian Nagelsmann, Gerard Seoane etc.
Dude, with all due respect, there's memory and then there's narrative. The bolded is running rampant on here because it's not even close to true. Spurs always atttacked. They threw away CL games playing in the opponent's half when they could have defended. You only even have to dig up any random Spurs highlight from the last 5 years. Their record against big teams might even have been better if they were open to playing deep every now and then.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dude, with all due respect, there's memory and then there's narrative. The bolded is running rampant on here because it's not even close to true. Spurs always atttacked. They threw away CL games playing in the opponent's half when they could have defended. You only even have to dig up any random Spurs highlight from the last 5 years. Their record against big teams might even have been better if they were open to playing deep every now and then.

When Ole's interim tenure was still young Spurs were the first top 6 team that Ole was forced to concede possession to, we won and adopted the deep lying counterattack in those games going forward.
Can you point out in which games in the UCL, Poch maintained aggressive high pressure?

Its one thing playing a high line with the ball (on the half way line) and another thing playing a high line without the ball, against top opposition.

Greck

Can you point out in which games in the UCL, Poch maintained aggressive high pressure?

Its one thing playing a high line with the ball (on the half way line) and another thing playing a high line without the ball, against top opposition.
Juventus, now you name which ones he didn't. He was never pragmatic. It's also especially easy to recall because back then Jose was our manager and it was fashionable to put down Poch for being naive and playing high lline football that won nothing,

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No, you name which ones he didn't.
You're the one who who engaged in this discussion and should back up your claims.

I even spoke to a few Spurs fans on here and they even said that they didn't consider Poch's football to be 'attacking'

Greck

You're the one who who engaged in this discussion and should back up your claims.

I even spoke to a few Spurs fans on here and they even said that they didn't consider Poch's football to be 'attacking'
I updated the post to be more conversation useful. However even without the update you still have the burden in backing up the assertion in the original post that he didn't play high, not just me.

Poch learnt to adopt occasional pragmatism after several CL disappontments but no, it wasn't their default style for most of his tenure there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Juventus, now you name which ones he didn't. He was never pragmatic. It's also especially easy to recall because back then Jose was our manager and it was fashionable to put down Poch for being naive and playing high lline football that won nothing,
It wasn't a high line without the ball it was in a mid block. Even when we defeated Spurs away with Ole, Pochettino adopted a midblock and the the assist by Pogba to Rashford is a clear example.

Playing in a high line without the ball is very difficult and not every coach can do it without causing themselves defensive problems. There are the coaches at top big clubs who have succeeded in sacrificing defensive stability for goals, but Poch isn't one of those coaches IMO.

KingCavani

I love how people go to the “spoke to Spurs” fans line. This isn’t Ajax. We seen Pochettino’s side as much as some of them did.

Spurs had the most attacking side in the PL from 15/16 through 16/17 and scored the most goals. They played with four outright attacking players and two very high full backs. They would routinely get bodies in the box an close to Kane and it led to some brilliant football.

They fell off towards the end for a variety of reasons but it’s just disingenuous for you or any Spurs fan to say they weren’t an attacking side.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I love how people go to the “spoke to Spurs” fans line. This isn’t Ajax. We seen Pochettino’s side as much as some of them did.

Spurs had the most attacking side in the PL from 15/16 through 16/17 and scored the most goals. They played with four outright attacking players and two very high full backs. They would routinely get bodies in the box an close to Kane and it led to some brilliant football.

They fell off towards the end for a variety of reasons but it’s just disingenuous for you or any Spurs fan to say they weren’t an attacking side.
The Spurs fans on on this forum have said they don't consider him a attacking coach from his time at their club.

Also a team can score a lot of goals in a mid block aswell. Mourinho put 6 past us playing in a reactive manner. Scoring goals is obviously the end goal, but it's how you approach the game which is telling. And the two best coaches in the league (Klopp and Guardiola) have one thing in common, their teams have shown the propensity to sacrifice defensive stability for goals in a very attack minded approach with the CBs the last line of defense on the half way line.

Greck

It wasn't a high line without the ball it was in a mid block. Even when we defeated Spurs away with Ole, Pochettino adopted a midblock and the the assist by Pogba to Rashford is a clear example.

Playing in a high line without the ball is very difficult and not every coach can do it without causing themselves defensive problems. There are the coaches at top big clubs who have succeeded in sacrificing defensive stability for goals, but Poch isn't one of those coaches IMO.
it's a high line. For example refer to the possession at 1:00. Hopefully video is accessible where you live. The CBs are literally at the halfway line. Also look how far up they were on Juve's final goal when they could (and probably should) have parked the bus.

If that's a midblock then you're using highly restrictive criteria. If we want to get specific then exactly how high up do the CBs and team as a whole need to be for a highline to become a midblock. It's not possible to class that setup as a midblock without introducing arbitrary and highly subjective criteria.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
it's a high line. For example refer to the possession at 1:00. Hopefully video is accessible where you live. The CBs are literally at the halfway line. Also look how far up they were on Juve's final goal when they could (and probably should) have parked the bus.

If that's a midblock then you're using highly restrictive criteria. If we want to get specific then exactly how high up do the CBs and team as a whole need to be for a highline to become a midblock. It's not possible to class that setup as a midblock without introducing arbitrary and highly subjective criteria.
At 1:00 in the video Spurs are in possession and a high line is normal with most coaches in such a scenario and even Maguire and Lindelof have been that high whilst we've been in offensive transition. Maintaining a high line without the ball is very different.

Watch the below video of Liverpool defending space in a high line at the 25 second mark against Wolves with their back line inside the Wolves half. That's what you call showing real attacking intent and sacrificing defensive stability for goals. Also at 1:24 in the vid where they apply high pressure with out the ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd maybe even rather take a punt on Potter than go for Pochettino. I just can't shake the feeling he's on the wane and his football ideology leans towards the reactive side than the proactive side.

It's also hard to ignore how Barcelona came into Paris with Koeman as their coach and completely dominated that 2nd leg last season. Pochettino was so reactive that game and I think they were very lucky Messi missed that pen. He's not a super adventurous/proactive coach like some on here think.

Kaos

I'd maybe even rather take a punt on Potter than go for Pochettino. I just can't shake the feeling he's on the wane and his football ideology leans towards the reactive side than the proactive side.

It's also hard to ignore how Barcelona came into Paris with Koeman as their coach and completely dominated that 2nd leg last season. Pochettino was so reactive that game and I think they were very lucky Messi missed that pen. He's not a super adventurous/proactive coach like some on here think.
Yeah I feel the same tbh.

It does feel like yet another case of scratching a itch by belatedly hiring a manager we wanted years ago. I also feel that while he would improve us, he's pretty much peaked and reached his ceiling. Would very much rather take a punt on Ten Hag or even Potter who could possess an even higher ceiling.

Jeffchin

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
After 6 months of apprenticeship under Rangnick, Carrick will take over as the permanent manager and go on to become the greatest disciple of Rangnick, you heard it here first. :D

AussieDevil

After 6 months of apprenticeship under Rangnick, Carrick will take over as the permanent manager and go on to become the greatest disciple of Rangnick, you heard it here first. :D
Carricks at the wheel…

no but seriously Carrick has had a chance to learn off some of the best in Sir Alex, LVG, Mourinho and now Rangnick. He should be able to pick up some of their best traits and maybe head to the championship for a couple of years.

BuzzKillington

Will the appointment of Rangnick mean we are more likely to start looking at disciples of his like Marco Rose instead for the full time role?

Rangnick is supposed to be a bit of a control freak, if he’s going to be getting involved in signing players, seems like he may insist on a manager that will utilise the kind of players he likes to sign.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Will the appointment of Rangnick mean we are more likely to start looking at disciples of his like Marco Rose instead for the full time role?

Rangnick is supposed to be a bit of a control freak, if he’s going to be getting involved in signing players, seems like he may insist on a manager that will utilise the kind of players he likes to sign.
I guess we can be sure that Rangnick will take part im the decision who United will sign, both players and manager.

And I would not be surprised if someone affiliated to RB would come in. You mentioned Rose, @Adnan already mentioned Adi Hütter, Hasenhüttl obviously is the one with PL experience. Those names might be in the mix now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He's always selected head coaches that have a defined way of playing the game.

I don't think he'd select Marco Rose at this juncture in Rose's career, due to Rose now in a role at Dortmund where he's trying to stamp his authority at the club.

I think the head coach he may plump for, if he does stick to hiring head coaches with the criteria he had at his previous clubs, is someone like Adi Hutter. But one thing I've noticed from listening to him is that he does heavily favour a head coach with a strong identity, so I wouldn't rule out ten Hag either.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He's always selected head coaches that have a defined way of playing the game.

I don't think he'd select Marco Rose at this juncture in Rose's career, due to Rose now in a role at Dortmund where he's trying to stamp his authority at the club.

I think the head coach he may plump for, if he does stick to hiring head coaches with the criteria he had at his previous clubs, is someone like Adi Hutter. But one thing I've noticed from listening to him is that he does heavily favour a head coach with a strong identity, so I wouldn't rule out ten Hag either.
Bit left field maybe, but could you see Rangnick going for Hasenhüttl? Hütter could be a very interesting choice as well, obviously.

Bestietom

Bit left field maybe, but could you see Rangnick going for Hasenhüttl? Hütter could be a very interesting choice as well, obviously.
Think there is talk about bringing in the guy that worked as his assistant at RB. Think he is with Moscow also now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rangnick had Hassenhuttl at RB Leipzig until 2018, and decided against giving him a long-term contract in favour of appointing Nagelsmann for the 19/20 season. Hassenhuttl then decided to step down and Rangnick stepped in for the whole season before stepping aside for Nagelsmann.

So I'd be surprised if Rangnick would select Hassenhuttl as the United head coach, when he chose to improve upon him at RB Leipzig.

gajender

Why are some behaving as if Ralf Rangnick is coming here to displace Murtough, after his Interim manager stint he would stay on as Consultant who would most probably complement Murtough and certainly not supplant him.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I think that’s the issue with ETH. He may have a higher ceiling but he also has a lower floor than Poch. We have been poor for years now and so the next appointment has to be the absolute right one.

I really like Ten Hag but I think people are getting ahead of themselves, he has a good champions league record but even then, out of the 16 wins he has in the competition, only 2 of them were against much better opposition, against Madrid and Juve, but both those sides were also on the decline.
I'm quite surprised he's the runaway leader on the vote.

I guess we like the unknown more because it let's us dream a bit.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can the south american football followers tell us more about Gallardo style, he is officially leaving River Plate.

lsd

The Oracle

Well that's that then. Any other club would always come out and say " we can't wait till our manager leaves as he begs to go every day and it was great news to see another club come in for him "

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think United have Poch as the #1 target as some journos seems to think. David Ornstein in the below vid (8:15) clearly says that there's admiration for Pochettino but reports about things being advanced with him are not true. He further goes on to say that he thinks some intermediaries have been trying to work up a situation around Pochettino. He also say that other coaches will be considered and mentions Erik ten Hag.

wolvored

I got a feeling that it will be Ten Hag now. The fact we havent gone all out for Poch now makes me feel this way. Also if Ten Hag does better in Ch Lge as both will win their domestic leagues, might swing it as well. Eyes would have been on the City game on Wednesday and with 3 WC players they were basically played off the park, would be a black mark against Poch I would think.

poleglass red

I think with Ragnick, there's almost an automatic respect for him from other managers that sadly Ole never had. He seems to have an aura that top managers need. We hoped Ole could turn things around, you almost expect this man to do it. It will take a bit of time, hopefully in Jan we can address some of our issues, but between his appt as interim and than his "consultancy" role thereafter, there is some genuine light. I'm glad we seem to be moving away from that Utd dna/way, that has held us back. As Klopp said when he first joined Liverpool, a reporter was harping on about the great Liverpool teams of the past, Klopp responded and said history is good and all, but he's here to make his own. Respect your history but realise the game has changed and make our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.