Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I've always maintained we should have bought him in when Fergie retired. Said it since he announced he was retiring. You needed the biggest name in management, who was available too, to manage the club

He was the only one with the ego and would have had instant command of that dressing room. Completely dropped the ball
Yeah thats how felt too. That summer, straight after SAF, all we needed was Mourinho and Thiago. At least thats how I felt then.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
ETH means the quad will need to be ripped up. For them, Pochettino is both cheaper and less of a hassle. Knowing our owners, that's an easy decision to make.

Greck

Pochettino is fine. His decline is overstated. PSG is literally his first job managing a top team in any league and is on course to walk a league Tuchel got sacked in.

Matt851

ETH means the quad will need to be ripped up. For them, Pochettino is both cheaper and less of a hassle. Knowing our owners, that's an easy decision to make.
What is the rationale behind your assertion that ETH will require a completely different squad but poch won't?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What is the rationale behind your assertion that ETH will require a completely different squad but poch won't?
He plays the positional game. Virtually every member of the squad needs to be very comfortable in possession.

Greck

ETH plays very advanced tiki taka, tiki taka of the highest order. I would love to see us do this.

But I kind of understand the suspicion this squad may not be ideal. I guess it depends on how the squad adjusts but these guys play like kick and rush merchants. Lacking football iq, press resistance and patience all over the pitch. Maybe it's the side effect of Ole and jose ball but they only look functional at hoofing or pinging long balls to the striker and direct 2-3 pass counters. When they have to pass out of tight situations they blow simple 1-2 moves or the central players don't even come short or show.

I would still like to bring him and back him to tear the squad to get us playing that way. It's not like the problems in our squad won't also dull the potency of a different play style. I'd also hope people don't call it boring LVG football if it doesn't look great from day 1.

Telsim

It's exactly like this board to go for a manager like Pochettino. Mild, won't rock the boat, won't achieve much. Also, he is having trouble dealing with PSG's dressing room, he is going to deal with ours? He doesn't have what it takes to manage a big club. Excellent mid-table manager otherwise.

Maybe we can challenge our long-term goals with him - Carabao, FA and Conference. Challenge being the key word here.

Greck

It's exactly like this board to go for a manager like Pochettino. Mild, won't rock the boat, won't achieve much. Also, he is having trouble dealing with PSG's dressing room, he is going to deal with ours? He doesn't have what it takes to manage a big club. Excellent mid-table manager otherwise.
Who doesn't have problems with that psg dressing room? You can't even reprimand the players. What also makes ETH's credentials for that any better? He has only been at one team. I still remember when this place was making fun of people who once wanted Tuchel. Like PSG's dysfunction made him a bad manager. Ole beat him and he couldn't walk the league so he was crap apparently.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Maybe we can challenge our long-term goals with him - Carabao, FA and Conference. Challenge being the key word here.
how does the fact they went for LVG and Jose fit with this claim?

Camilo

Who knows if ETH is the guy, I've no idea, but he's doing well playing an actual coachable system and that's surely the key. Anyone can be taught anything, and our players need taught. Put Klopp or Pep in charge of any club in the EPL and they finish high up this table - we need that kind of clarity of direction.

Matt851

Your points don't make much sense

Even though our players are moany, its still not as bad as the psg dressing room. Where is the evidence that ETH could handle big personalities? at Ajax he manages young players and premier league rejects.

Whoever the new manager is they need to be given time and to be empowered to cull some of the long term underperforming players. At PSG poch's hands are tied in terms of recruitment and sales whereas ETH has the perfect setup at Ajax, will he be able to cope outside of that?

croadyman

I'm hoping Arnold steps in here and speaks some sense into the board and tells them to take Ralfs recommendation for the next manager.
Yeah and Murtough as well because they are not capable of making sensible football decisions that's for sure

AshRK

I've always maintained we should have bought him in when Fergie retired. Said it since he announced he was retiring. You needed the biggest name in management, who was available too, to manage the club

He was the only one with the ego and would have had instant command of that dressing room. Completely dropped the ball
Jose or Ancelotti then would have been a perfect appointment.

AshRK

I would myself prefer ETH but I feel people here are massively underrating Poch. What if Pich goes on to win CL this season? I think he will be a good appointment irrespective of what he achieves this season with PSG

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Your points don't make much sense

Even though our players are moany, its still not as bad as the psg dressing room. Where is the evidence that ETH could handle big personalities? at Ajax he manages young players and premier league rejects.

Whoever the new manager is they need to be given time and to be empowered to cull some of the long term underperforming players. At PSG poch's hands are tied in terms of recruitment and sales whereas ETH has the perfect setup at Ajax, will he be able to cope outside of that?
There is no evidence that ETH can handle big personalities. Even though I rate him highly, I am starting to feel like he might just be a Dutch version of Graham Potter. Which isn't a bad thing as I think Potter is a great coach. There is a lot of hype about him, but beside his style of play, there is little indication that he has what it takes to manager a top club.

Pochettino on the other hand has made significant accomplishments with Spurs that any manager spurs hire will be hard to accomplish unless they start spending ridiculous amount of money. Moreover at psg, he is handling the biggest egos in football and the psg dressing room will make the United dressing room look like child's play. While doing that, he is comfortable on top of the league and already beaten the best team in Europe. I feel that what Pochettino does get underrated because people grudge for him overlooks his management capabilities.

There seems to be too much smoke about Pochettino. There has to be something in it. We know the owners are clueless and don’t care plus Fergie is in the board room who loves the guy.

We should be moving heaven and earth to get Ten Hag but our board always go for the cheapest option even though it turns out the most expensive. They will like Poch because he worked with no budget at Tottenham and we will have very little budget going forward.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We could resurrect jesus and appoint him as our manager and still come out short. The problem lies with the players and not the manager.

If the players are good and put in a shift then even a stuffed scarecrow as a manager would yield better results this season than the turd we've been served.

Greck

There seems to be too much smoke about Pochettino. There has to be something in it. We know the owners are clueless and don’t care plus Fergie is in the board room who loves the guy.

We should be moving heaven and earth to get Ten Hag but our board always go for the cheapest option even though it turns out the most expensive. They will like Poch because he worked with no budget at Tottenham and we will have very little budget going forward.
If we're being fair there are reasons for Poch beyond just knowing how to work with cheapskates. He's PL proven. ETH could be the next Pep or the next Vilas Boas for all people know. One of the reasons people commonly cited against Poch was not being proven. Now that argument finally works in his favour.

Greck

We could resurrect jesus and appoint him as our manager and still come out short. The problem lies with the players and not the manager.

If the players are good and put in a shift then even a stuffed scarecrow as a manager would yield better results this season than the turd we've been served.
but restructuring this particular squad also involves getting a manager in so we know what we're rebuilding towards. Manager also gets a say on who gets replaced. It's fine to say the players are the problem but effecting a solution will also involve the manager.

Long Time Red

Well Graham Potter is turning water into wine at the moment, maybe it's him who we should give the chance to.

philipos

2000 years too late! He is resurrected.

dinostar77

Duncan Castles must lurk on this forum as on yesterday's Transfer Window podcast he said that eric ten hag is the populist choice with the fanbase but Utd board are keen on Poch and have been for years. But they think they should be able to land him as he wants to come back to UK as his family is here and really wants the job.

sirAlexsglasses

There is one ever so slight issue with the other mentioned clubs (City, Lpool, Chelsea) they are all extremely well run clubs with the correct people in the correct positions. They have a clearly defined project and deliverables, we…….we have financial people running the club purely for their own profit with what happens in the pitch coming a very distant second. We have an interim manager and assistants from previous failed setups, we also have Fletch on the sidelines barking instructions, it is so disjointed that I fail to see who could possibly sort out this mess.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Poch is a good coach and would make a good choice, I would understand why the board would pick him. He's a safe choice and seems to like some of the players here.

But I want us to take a risk with younger, somewhat unproven manager.

For once, I want a proactive manager who will go down with his beliefs and not wilt under the pressure and do things to keep his job. For what I want, ETH fits that idea, even though he might struggle to control the egos.

Poch I feel is just a bit too similar of what we have already had here, bit of a mixture of LVG and Jose and won't make the changes we need, while his football is hardly keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.