Next Season Expectations

elnorte

Freaky fly day
What are the realistic chances of a significant upturn in fortunes both in terms of results and performances? Are there particular factors that will determine this outcome?

In particular how much will depend on
a full-scale overhaul of the current squad and recruitment of new talent based on a strategy that has a clear purpose? In other words not the piecemeal and directionless approach we have become accustomed to these last few years. Perhaps most crucial of all how likely is this to happen?

Not that it matters much but I'm keeping my own expectations thoroughly in check.

pacifictheme

I do wonder if we need some sort of fairly ruthless reboot where we come 5th or 6th for a year or two to build a team that can then start to really challenge again. It feels like as a squad they're way too comfortable. No way (for example) jones survives 8 years at city or liverpool. At some point you have to cut your losses on players.

I have no expectations at the moment as i don't know what our squad will look like, but i absolutely do not expect a title challenge. Anyone who does is delusional and setting themselves up for a fall. We're miles away.

RedDevil5

If we have a good window, a top four challenge. Title challenge is not happening. We are not going to compete with City, Liverpool, or even Spurs next year for a title.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Gonna be honest I expect to be sitting here next season with our club around 5th/6th Discussing Ole's departure after a unsuccessful season, discuss where or not we get a Director of football in, who should be the next manager and whether we should overhaul the squad.

I don't think the management at top level of this club have learnt from past mistakes so I don't expect different results.

deafepl

I think the transfer window gives an idea of what we can expect from next season so if we get RW, CB, CM, and RB, I think we'll be closer to the title than batting for top 4, If we have unsuccessful transfer window, we'd be battling for top 4.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I said 6th this season (looking most likely), expecting the same again next.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Gonna be honest I expect to be sitting here next season with our club around 5th/6th Discussing Ole's departure after a unsuccessful season, discuss where or not we get a Director of football in, who should be the next manager and whether we should overhaul the squad.

I don't think the management at top level of this club have learnt from past mistakes so I don't expect different results.
This.

Then asking whether a new manager and new signings will change our fortunes.

zeekey

I think last 5 games will be something like, win 2 draw 2 lose 1 which means the Europa League.
Summer: 3/4 in 3/4 out.
Pre season: integrate new players and youth into the squad. Work on fitness and playing style.
Season: as per pre season. Hopefully become more consistent. Decent cracks at League cup, FA cup and Europa. Finish 3rd at best.

Panther

Top 4 would be an improvement next season.

Arsenal are getting better and better under Emery and will probably splash out on a CM to replace Ramsey, as well as strengthening other positions. Chelsea are transfer banned so can't really improve their squad aside from Pulisic who's already signed, losing Hazard would be devastating for them. City, and Liverpool are miles ahead of us so I expect them to be fighting for the title again. Spurs will probably spend a bit this summer, especially if they end up selling someone, and will most likely improve.

The whole top 6 is gonna be better next season, including us but I still think we're behind Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and City. I'd say we're equal with Chelsea but we will most likely be better after the summer because they can't buy anyone.

Realistically, I'd definitely say top 4 would be a good achievement, but I can't see who out of the other 4 will drop out. I would say I expect us to finish 4th/5th though with good cup runs but ending up with a trophy-less season.

ti vu

Surprised, no one mentioned it yet, so I'll do:

Playing the United way. Many would be satifisfied if I recalled correctly about their expectation of this team.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Getting top 6 as it stands.

We need a BIG window, if not it’s a certainty we won’t get top 4. We will be fighting somebody (likely Chelsea) to finish 5th or 6th and discussing how to get rid of Ole by xmas.

Denis79

No more drama, players hanging heads and looking uninterested. That's what I'm hoping for and maybe a bit more positive attacking football. He manages to do that I'll be satisfied.

Paul_Scholes18

To stop Liverpool getting title number 20 and get number 21 before they get number 20!

How should we do it? Give City 6 easy points when we play them and celebrate all goals for City from the start ;).

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
For all of Ole's words about 'United need to be challenging for trophies', I think he'd happily take a solid top 4 finish next season that avoids the sack and gives him something to build on.

Jaae

Not ITK
To do better than the previous season. Both the club and individual players should have this goal every year.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If we finish outside the top 4 we will spend big and get back into the top 4.

If we finish in the top 4 we will spend less and stay in the top 4.

We are in the horrible spot of being too rich to fall into the bottom half of the table and cause change at the top. So we will get milked for the foreseeable future while being stuck in top 6 limbo.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We've supposed to have done this a long time ago, but the key is to develop an identity of how the club wants the team to play, stick to that plan, sign the right players to fit in that plan and ship out the ones who don't. We don't necessarily need to do this in one season but changing this plan with every manager change will just keep us in the same loop, repeating the same mistakes over and over again and starting from scratch each time.

This isn't just about the players, the manager has to also fit that identity. The other big clubs in Europe have this identity. Managers change, coaches change, players change but the basis is always there. We haven't had one since Sir Alex left.

This is my expectation for the next season. We won't challenge for anything in the forseeable future unless the club is able to do this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't say till I see our transfer business in summer.
Completely this.
Madness is doing the same thing and expecting different results - so unless we see some pretty good upgrades we can't hope for too much better.
Although Ole would be 3rd in the league on his spell here apparently.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
-Challenge for the top four; end the season not that far behind the fifth place team.

But for me the most important thing is to fix at least some of the many areas of the team - e.g. sort-out the fullbacks, or the right-side, or improve the goal-scoring/chance-conversions, or settle the defence and midfield down, or at least prepare to replace the players who aren’t committed to the club like De Gea, Pogba and Herrera (he’ll be gone already of course).

Just some sign of progress, and some sign of what we as a team are aiming to do on the pitch would be a welcome development at this point.

Last edited:

Reddy Rederson

Depends largely on whether or not we are still staring the likes of martial, lingard and pogba. If so, then we will be once again inbetween 6th and 4th. Anything other than survival of the fittest, and we are doomed to follow the liverpool path of waiting 30 years until our time comes again.

Tarrou

start looking like a team with a direction

having two or more attacking players who look like they've played a match together before

an attack that appears like it has a discernible strategy to put the ball in the back of the net

a defence that doesn't shat itself when being pressed

challenging for the title seems too much to ask because there are two very strong teams to stay close to, but you never know I guess

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
After these comments, I'm expecting nothing to change at all. Survival of the fittest... don't make me laugh!

How much longer are we expected to put up with these players? It's a joke now.

6th place finish gtd without Pogba & De Gea.

Last edited:

ErranMorad

I want us to develop a definite style of play and lay the foundations of building a squad that is capable of challenging in the long run. That is my expectation. It's going to take Ole a season or two before he makes us serious challengers on all fronts. His job is not easy. He has to correct the feck-ups of the previous three bozos that were in-charge.

Expecting him to challenge straight away even if we drop 200m this summer is not realistic.

OohAahMartial

3rd, FA Cup, if in CL then Semis, if in EL then Final.

But more importantly want to see a better attitude and morale, better effort and fitness, more consistency, integration of youth and phasing out of old guard, development of both counter-attacking style and pinning the opponent in their box at home style, a balance between left and right side, a stronger defense. And this is by no means comprehensive. It's a tall order.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
After these comments, I'm expecting nothing to change at all. Survival of the fittest... don't make me laugh!

How much longer are we expected to put up with these players? It's a joke now.

6th place finish gtd without Pogba & De Gea.
Ah, yet another fresh chance with a new manager. Expect to see the likes of Jones, Darmian, Mata, etc here next season. There will be no clear-out.