Next United manager 2020/21 edition

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
True it wouldn't take much to adapt to negative defensive tumescent shite. People are weird, I don't want another dinosaur, especially one like him, he's been out of the game for years too.
Eh I hate to break this to you but you should maybe check out what type of football a manager plays before naming someone
I'm perfectly comfortable with what Allegri offers on the football front, some of us are ok with pragmatism when positive results are achieved. The man's record tells me the negativity of it is somewhat overstated. Italians are proven in the EPL.

hubbuh

I agree. Absolutely brilliant manager. Also wouldn't be surprised if he's the type to stick around at a club for a fair few years given his age too.
Yep. I think people are overthinking this. He'sthe most highly regarded young coach in world football and is consistently achieving on the biggest stage. It's about time this club adopted a more progressive and forward thinking attitude in the way it conducts itself. Besides, picking up young, promising talent and giving them the stage to prove themselves as the best in the world is what this club is all about. People seem to forget that aspect when talking about United 'DNA' and managers.

SER19

Surprised at how little Blanc is touted. Very experienced, won beyond psg but did that job very well. Good age, knows United and is always spoken of in great terms by Ferguson.

sparx99

It is interesting to me that the conversation seems to have changed somewhat now from ‘get rid of the deadwood’ and ‘rebuild the squad’ to who should replace Ole. I’m not saying the squad is the finished article (it never is even at City/Bayern/Madrid etc) but we clearly have the talent now to play better than this.

It generally is starting to feel like ‘what could a top coach do with these players?’. That’s exciting to me.

Clearly Nagelsmann and Rodgers would be good options. I’d kind of love to see Bielsa. It would be such a rude awakening for our lazy squad.

What about Erik ten Hag?

Mylock

The academy has nothing to do with Ole; root and branch review and changes took place before he even joined as caretaker.
I don't believe that Ollie would not have had some part to play in the Academy reform. He may not have been responsible for leading the changes; he definitely would have a significant input with the Academy since he became the manager.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Would rather see us name a solid director of football.
how long are you prepared to wait for that - it must be about time now for the club to tell us again they are looking for one, followed by doing feck all about it

Roboc7

I don't believe that Ollie would not have had some part to play in the Academy reform. He may not have been responsible for leading the changes; he definitely would have a significant input with the Academy since he became the manager.
The reform took place before he was appointed so he won’t have had any involvement.

hubbuh

It is interesting to me that the conversation seems to have changed somewhat now from ‘get rid of the deadwood’ and ‘rebuild the squad’ to who should replace Ole. I’m not saying the squad is the finished article (it never is even at City/Bayern/Madrid etc) but we clearly have the talent now to play better than this.

It generally is starting to feel like ‘what could a top coach do with these players?’. That’s exciting to me.

Clearly Nagelsmann and Rodgers would be good options. I’d kind of love to see Bielsa. It would be such a rude awakening for our lazy squad.

What about Erik ten Hag?
ten Hag is the only viable (and available) alternative to Naglesmann for me. Bielsa would be too alienating I think. It would be exciting but it doesn't strike me as a happy marriage.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If only there'd been a chance to get someone like Tuchel or Poch in recent years, even maybe Ancelotti :lol:

I joke - Ole's done a god job to get us here, I just don't think he can lead us to anything more in term of "on the pitch success". Think he's doing a decent job at refreshing the squad for, what I expect will be, the manager who'll come in to get the most out of the team.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I’m sure most people agree with you.
Understand where are you coming from. Some of the things that Ole has done are really good and it came from that connection.

The thing is, they all seriously lack in coaching part. Ole is superior to both of them imo and definitely don't think that even he has what it takes to take us to the elite level in that segment. He makes it up with some other qualities though, but for me the coaching part is the most important one in modern football.

El Zoido

I’m still in the camp that we need a top quality assistant to run training and tactics, while retaining Ole as head coach. I think he’s done a lot behind the scenes that’s taken for granted by fans that just watch games, and his man management is clearly of the highest level. I’d still like him to be involved, I think he’s a hugely positive influence.

Smores

I’m still in the camp that we need a top quality assistant to run training and tactics, while retaining Ole as head coach. I think he’s done a lot behind the scenes that’s taken for granted by fans that just watch games, and his man management is clearly of the highest level. I’d still like him to be involved, I think he’s a hugely positive influence.
If his man management skills are so great why do we routinely start games poorly and look like we can't be arsed? Those don't happen under a great man manager.

Do you just mean he's liked and doesn't fall out with players? Is that it?

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Nagelsmann would not be perfect. He will quite likely go the way of Hassenhuttl if he moves to a decent league.
Like when Klopp moved to a "decent league"?

ten Hag is the only viable (and available) alternative to Naglesmann for me. Bielsa would be too alienating I think. It would be exciting but it doesn't strike me as a happy marriage.
What's impressive about Ten Hag? Ajax is the Bayern Munich of the Eredivisie at this point. Frank de Boer's 4 consecutive titles with a lesser squad than PSV (as evidenced by most of those players flopping abroad or playing for mid-table eredivisie clubs nowadays) were more impressive and he failed everywhere he went after. Peter Bosz was mentioned on here quite a bit 2 years back and he's imploding with Leverkusen as we speak.

When rating a manager it's important people look at the quality of the players and the manager's ability to get the most out of them.

On that note, I think Thomas Letsch (Vitesse) is the best Eredivisie manager. He's been able to instill discipline in two known troublemakers (Bazoer & Tannane), who are now his star players and will make big transfers in the summer. He's identified undervalued targets that strengthened his squad (Wittek, Tannane on a free and Rasmussen, Broja, Toure, Openda on loan) and he's playing in a system that's enables his key players and camouflages his squad's weaknesses.

They've were first or second 'till january. Currently 4th and in the cup final.

I'm not saying sack Ole for this guy, but I'll quote this paragraph when our rivals inevitably pick him up while we fumble around with our 3rd club legend.

hubbuh

Like when Klopp moved to a "decent league"?

What's impressive about Ten Hag? Ajax is the Bayern Munich of the Eredivisie at this point. Frank de Boer's 4 consecutive titles with a lesser squad than PSV (as evidenced by most of those players flopping abroad or playing for mid-table eredivisie clubs nowadays) were more impressive and he failed everywhere he went after. Peter Bosz was mentioned on here quite a bit 2 years back and he's imploding with Leverkusen as we speak.

When rating a manager it's important people look at the quality of the players and the manager's ability to get the most out of them.

On that note, I think Thomas Letsch (Vitesse) is the best Eredivisie manager. He's been able to instill discipline in two known troublemakers (Bazoer & Tannane), who are now his star players and will make big transfers in the summer. He's identified undervalued targets that strengthened his squad (Wittek, Tannane on a free and Rasmussen, Broja, Toure, Openda on loan) and he's playing in a system that's enables his key players and camouflages his squad's weaknesses.

They've were first or second 'till january. Currently 4th and in the cup final.

I'm not saying sack Ole for this guy, but I'll quote this paragraph when our rivals inevitably pick him up while we fumble around with our 3rd club legend.
He's done a pretty decent job at Ajax, no? His achievements look impressive and they are easy on the eye. Won the double in 2018/19 and got them to the Champions League semis for the first time since 1995. They were really unlucky not to reach the final, too. Only 3 goals shy of matching the all-time goal scoring league record set in 1966/67 of 122. Whenever I've watched them in Europe they've tended to play attacking, entertaining football. Maybe he's at his level, who knows. He's certainly impressed at Ajax, though. Seems a bit strange to argue the opposite? Although it makes a bit more sense if you're a Feyenoord supporter..?

R77

Some of the names being thrown around are hilarious. Allegri? Potter? You're all mad.

Ancelloti or Nagelsmann are the only real canditates at this point, both representing very different solutions that might work, but in reality we'd still have many of the same problems and people on here would be calling for their heads in no time.

No idea why getting to position we're at, at the stage we did brought out Solskjaer's conservatism. It's unfortunate. His seemimg reluctance to utilise the squad and make timely subs is frustrating and is a mark against him. As it stands we're on a poor run of form and in 2nd place. Replacing him with Allegri or Potter at this point would be catastrophic. Hahahaha.

sparx99

If his man management skills are so great why do we routinely start games poorly and look like we can't be arsed? Those don't happen under a great man manager.

Do you just mean he's liked and doesn't fall out with players? Is that it?
I do think Ole has done an important job in giving the club its direction back. Regardless of disappointment on the field it does feel like he lifted the cloud around the club and has given us a direction forward.

However, it also feels like he’s built the platform for somebody else to then take it and build a top quality football team. I’m not sure Moyes, LVG, Mourinho or Ole had a particularly good starting point. The next manager should have and we should be trying to go from strength to strength.

Jim Beam

How come nobody ever mentions Gian Piero Gasperini?
What he’s done at Atalanta is insane.
Assuming he goes with the same system it would be great for Bruno as AM, Maguire would probably also be more comfortable in a back 3. But we don't have proper wingbacks and it means no to Sancho most likely while Diallo buying becomes more then questionable (another indication of zero planning).

He hasn't done much before Atalanta and is over 60. It would look like Sarri Chelsea appointment in many ways.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's done a pretty decent job at Ajax, no? His achievements look impressive and they are easy on the eye. Won the double in 2018/19 and got them to the Champions League semis for the first time since 1995. They were really unlucky not to reach the final, too. Only 3 goals shy of matching the all-time goal scoring league record set in 1966/67 of 122. Whenever I've watched them in Europe they've tended to play attacking, entertaining football. Maybe he's at his level, who knows. He's certainly impressed at Ajax, though. Seems a bit strange to argue the opposite? Although it makes a bit more sense if you're a Feyenoord supporter..?
I do think that might play a role here, yes. I mean, as much as Ten Hag does have the best squad in the Netherlands by a distance, he is still making them play good football and doing OK in Europe. Yes, De Boer did well, but nobody was happy with his style. Also, I agree that Leitsch has been doing great this season, but it's only his first season there, he hasn't had an impressive earlier career, and Vitesse has been going through a bit of a slump lately. So I'd say we'd need to wait a bit longer to 'pass judgement' on him. If anyone in the Dutch leagues, I would actually bring up Arne Slot, who has worked miracles with AZ - and is actually going to Feyenoord in the summer.

Rolaholic

How come nobody ever mentions Gian Piero Gasperini?
What he’s done at Atalanta is insane.
I did a few pages back, mentioned him as the only older manager I'd be intrigued by given his heavily attack minded philosophy and making the most out of less.

He's the only Italian manager I'd want at the moment.

Still think we should skew young + modern tactically and go for the next great manager in the making in Nagelsmann

Ludens the Red

Assuming he goes with the same system it would be great for Bruno as AM, Maguire would probably also be more comfortable in a back 3. But we don't have proper wingbacks and it means no to Sancho most likely while Diallo buying becomes more then questionable (another indication of zero planning).

He hasn't done much before Atalanta and is over 60. It would look like Sarri Chelsea appointment in many ways.
Yuh there would be limitations within our squad with his way of playing. Especially the wide positions.
In regards to Sancho and Amad though I think with their skill set they could play the front two positions depending on how flexible you’d allow them to be . Dortmund played a similar system and Sancho played in an almost free role up front with Halaand.

But yeah, threw his name out mainly cos it’s weird that he doesn’t get mentioned when we get into these hypothetical discussions. Like people talk about Nagelsmann and Rose because of their very modernised and attacking style of play. This guy plays with essentially 7 attacking players! I mean we’d get ripped to shreds on the counter against anybody half decent but it’d be fun and chaotic.

Jim Beam

Yuh there would be limitations within our squad with his way of playing. Especially the wide positions.
In regards to Sancho and Amad though I think with their skill set they could play the front two positions depending on how flexible you’d allow them to be . Dortmund played a similar system and Sancho played in an almost free role up front with Halaand.

But yeah, threw his name out mainly cos it’s weird that he doesn’t get mentioned when we get into these hypothetical discussions. Like people talk about Nagelsmann and Rose because of their very modernised and attacking style of play. This guy plays with essentially 7 attacking players! I mean we’d get ripped to shreds on the counter against anybody half decent but it’d be fun and chaotic.
Oh, I like the way Atalanta play also and his system is intriguing one for sure.
That is why I went about the way our players fit into it (and it's a bit of fun looking at it that way).

Last edited:

The Neville wears Prada

with the run they are going at the moment we may have a chance of landing Klopp :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edit: Someone beat me to it :(
It might seem crazy, but I genuinely agree. He might just say yes as well as he is local and wouldn't need to really uproot everything... Also he would be utterly legendary if he could resurrect the two biggest clubs in England... He may just fancy it as an outside bet! (I am aware this is very improbable)

The Neville wears Prada

We've done the ethno-romantic clones (Moyes), has-been continental innovator hardmen (LVG), the Mourinhos (Mourinho), and the ex-player legends with managerial success in a minor European league (Ole).
Last remaining category is young English worked-a-miracle-deserves-a-chance-at-a-big-club (Eddie Howe).
What a narrow minded way of looking at things. Flabbergasted this is how you view it!! We have tons of options. Just as many options as any other top club out there... Why do United fans have this weird and unique view!?

wolvored

I don't know where you've got those numbers from. Last summer we essentially spent £80m on squad players, the summer before we spent a lot, granted, but that was only on 2 starting players and still we were also waiting until a week before the season started to get the Maguire deal over the line.

I want a window where we're proactive in getting the deals that need doing done, and where we don't continue to shy away from addressing glaring deficiencies like the right wing. Hardly unreasonable. Barring us somehow blowing top 4 Solskjaer has earned that much.

What I don't want to see is a repeat of what we saw towards the end of Mourinho's tenure - stinging out on Grant, Dalot and Fred. I'm no fan of Mourinho and would've liked to see him get the boot before that season even started but that window was an exercise in giving him the rope to hang himself with.
You forget we spent £47 mill on Bruno in the january with another £21 mill in add ons to come. That takes it up to just under £130 mill last year, if your £80 mill quote in the summer is right.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Couldn't disagree more. Fergie would be close to winning the league with our current team. I reckon Klopp, Guardiola and Nagelsman would too... maybe Rodgers also, but harder to tell
And I couldn't disagree more with the level you think our line up is at.

Teja

Have to go for Nagelsmann I think.

Losing out on Tuchel, Poch and Nagelsmann when all three were available would be a pretty big mistake. Atleast have to start sounding him out and preparing for the move.

Anyway, lets see, we might still have a good end to the season. Ole has been a boom / bust type manager for some reason - it's either really good stretch of results or total collapse.

Giggsyking

Who is that top quality coach that accept to work under the hands of a Novice manager? no one respect himself enough would accept that, that is why we have Carrick and co as his assistants, or maybe Ole himself would not want someone knows better than him in the coaching team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Fergie would certainly win the league with our current squad (or come very close indeed)
The word gets thrown about too much on here but that's just delusional. He failed to win the league on many occasions with far better teams than this against weaker rivals than City.

Seriously what do you see in the forward line alone of Rashford, 34 year old Cavani and 19yr old Greenwood that compares to SAFs best teams that were challenging for titles?

Foxbatt

Bielsa would be a wild ride. I know what he brings is nerve wracking. But that's exactly why he won't be appointed. Big clubs don't like it. Eric Ten Haag plays that way because it's the Ajax way. I remember after the first leg of the semi final, the British pundits wouldn't believe when Gullit said that Ajax would play exactly the same way in the second leg. They thought they were going to play defensively. No they played exactly as he said and lost the semi final.
I think Rose and Nagelsmann are better options. I don't know much about the coach of Atlanta. Ancelloti is a pragmatic manager and had managed bigger clubs and won the CL three times I think.

Red00012

What about Erik ten Hag?
The problem is while he has got rid of a lot of rubbish more start appearing :wenger:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The biggest problem we've had for a decade is that we've failed to play a proactive brand of football after spending huge amounts of money. The money spent by the managers (post Fergie) has been wasted on new players and it's still happening now, hence we've had to adopt a reactive approach on the counter attack against quality opposition. Our mindset has to change from thinking defence to thinking offence if we're to challenge for titles because currently what's happening is that Solskjaer is trying to rectify his mistakes in the transfer market where we shelled out a enormous sum of money on two players from Leicester and Palace who were never close to being worth what they(Palace&Leicester) were asking in monetary sums and both players never suited playing in a team that wants to adopt a front foot approach and play a expansive game.

Like I've said before if it comes down to replacing the manager then we must think positive and look to appoint someone who wants to impose his will on the opposition, which is what Klopp and Guardiola do and have been doing for many years.

For me, we should make a move for Julien Nagelsmann who is a exciting young coach with a very high level of tactical acumen as far as imposing his will on the opposition. He would bring excitement and is a coach who sacrifices defensive stability for goals which would enable us to overload the opposition pressure points in their defensive zones. He's currently only 2 points behind Bayern Munich with 11 games remaining in the German Bundesliga.

To challenge for the league we must consistently defeat the so called lesser teams which is what City have been doing for several years including Liverpool. And to do that we must have a positive mindset where we go out on the pitch to push the back line up and overload the opposition on their flanks and flood their box. But the issue is that we've signed several players who struggle to maintain a high line against opposition who have players that are quick on the transition. We can blame Ed Woodward for this, but all he did was back the manager(s).

Last edited: