Next United manager 2020/21 edition

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Allegri, Allegri and more Allegri. He's Italian like Ancelotti, Ranieri and Conte. Proven winner and he plays the kind of football this team is very well set up to adapt to.

Womp

idiot
No, just an improvement in league position. Can you imagine where we'd be if Ole starts coaching these lads? The mind boggles..... at many things
Funny how these things look without context. Everyone is aware of our patches of good and unsustainable results now.

Since you want things without context- how about we use our form since the penalties and individual brilliance dried up

Also our second position isn't even all thay impressive to me. We have a West Ham team with fecking Moyes as manager right behind us

Results are never going to be sustainable without a consistent and effective style to back it up. That's why the best we will ever achieve under Ole is a top 4 battle as the individual brilliance isn't something you can maintain over a whole season. Great players should improve the system, great players shouldn't be the system

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If it does come down to replacing Ole, then we must go all out for a coach who is brave and believes in playing a proactive brand of football. It doesn't have to be anyone that has a association with our club because our two greatest managers in Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson were never United men before they were given the job and both believed in playing a proactive brand of football.

Julien Nagelsmann should be top of the list and I'm also interested in Graham Potter because his Brighton team are coached superbly well in playing a proactive brand of football which is really good to watch.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

If the tumescent style of play/brand of football wasn't enough of a turn off, does the fact that plenty of the biggest clubs in the world have had opening in the last 2 years and zero went after Allegri doesn't raise any concerns for those pushing him?

Would much prefer the club stay far away from the likes of Conte/Simeone and Allegri. We've already been through that soul crushing defense oriented football under 2 of the previous 3 managers, in absolutely no rush to turn back to it...

Olecurls99

Funny how these things look without context. Everyone is aware of our patches of good and unsustainable results now.

Since you want things without context- how about we use our form since the penalties and individual brilliance dried up

Also our second position isn't even all thay impressive to me. We have a West Ham team with fecking Moyes as manager right behind us

Results are never going to be sustainable without a consistent and effective style to back it up. That's why the best we will ever achieve under Ole is a top 4 battle as the individual brilliance isn't something you can maintain over a whole season. Great players should improve the system, great players shouldn't be the system
You make it sound like we have a team of Galacticos. Tell me, who are our great players?

Womp

idiot
You make it sound like we have a team of Galacticos. Tell me, who are our great players?
That once again is not the point at all, straw man argument as expected. You don't need a team of Galacticos to play good football

The point is we are wasting time with him - he has proven in two years he is incapable of coaching a sustainable and progressive style and his transfer spending has been hit and miss too.

Jericholyte2

Am I the only one who’d be happy with Rodgers? His impact of Leicester has been great and it could also make getting Ndidi a little easier.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I love some things Ole has done for the club. Seeing posts here that call him a clown and a fraud is actually embarrassing. If he is so bad, he massively overachieved during his time here.

That said, go full in for Nagelsmann if there is a chance. I mean, yeah, he might not cope so well in the big club and the structure is also lacking in a sense that he would have to be involved not just in coaching part of the job. But in terms of potential he is head and shoulders above the rest.
33 year old fanatic of the game who seem to be an exceptional coach first and foremost and despite his age never had a bit of problem in handling his dressing room while playing progressive football. All that with CL semifinal already in his résumé and currently battling for Bundesliga title against Bayern on so uneven terms.

There is always a risk, especially the way our club is run, but ffs there is also a possibility you hit a goldmine here.

OrcaFat

That once again is not the point at all, straw man argument as expected. You don't need a team of Galacticos to play good football

The point is we are wasting time with him - he has proven in two years he is incapable of coaching a sustainable and progressive style and his transfer spending has been hit and miss too.
Shame you feel that way. I’ve been very encouraged and although we don’t have many particularly good players we are still 2nd in the league. I doubt many managers would be top with our squad.

Since this thread is about the next manager, I don’t think the next guy, whoever it may be, will do better than Ole. But once Ole is gone we will all have to move on. If the club is in the same ownership, I feel links with the successful teams of the past will be helpful, otherwise the club will forget itself. Much as the idea is derided, I’d take Giggs or even Keane. Before that, I’d like another ex player brought in as a director of football, Van Der Sar maybe. Lack of continuity has set us back in the past.

The Neville wears Prada

Not picking on you personally as I could have quoted from any number of posts but there seems to be a mass delusion that anyone other than Woodward and the Glazers gets to have a say in who manages United. If anybody is under the impression they are considering a change then I have very bad news for you.

The owners want a top 4 finish which they will get barring a complete meltdown over the next two months, they don't particularly care if we thrash everyone in the last 11 games and finish 2nd miles ahead of the chasing pack or if we scuffle and sneak 4th on goal difference on the last day of the season. They want CL money and they also don't want to spend much this summer and Ole is on course to deliver the former and won't rock the boat about the latter.

If we do crash out of the top 4 that might give them pause but realistically it is going to be a tough sell to any Manager worth his salt to come here knowing we are miles off catching City, stuck in the Europa again and probably not willing to spend any money to improve the team.

I am not always confident in my predictions but if anyone wants to bet on a manager change this summer please send me a DM and I will be happy to take your money.
I couldn't disagree more. Klopp went to Liverpool when they were very low and struggling, Guardiola went to a very small club in City (who as a club I rate at a similar level to Middlesbrough), and Ancelotti went to mid table Everton. Of course ANY manager would join us (maybe barring Guardiola).

starman

Another one for Potter, but it would been a very bold decision to hire him, without a extensive CV or links to the club...
Hes what I imagine to a extent Pep would be if he was manager of average teams, makes mediocre players look great and dominate teams, but let down by their end product.

That said, i am not Ole out.

Last edited:

The Neville wears Prada

Am I the only one who’d be happy with Rodgers? His impact of Leicester has been great and it could also make getting Ndidi a little easier.
Not at all. Rodgers is an outstanding manager! He is overperforming with Leicester, overperformed with Liverpool and Swansea too. Also didn't just win with Celtic, he obliterated every single competition for years. He would also be driven to win the PL and has a high ceiling.

Before people state the connections to Liverpool, that is firstly small minded and secondly he doesn't have particularly close links to them anyway!

Gandalf

If we are playing this game then I am another vote for Rodgers. He has been successful but for me it comes down to his ability to improve and develop players which he has shown at all of his former clubs.

Judas

Open to offers
Allegri, Allegri and more Allegri. He's Italian like Ancelotti, Ranieri and Conte. Proven winner and he plays the kind of football this team is very well set up to adapt to.
True it wouldn't take much to adapt to negative defensive tumescent shite. People are weird, I don't want another dinosaur, especially one like him, he's been out of the game for years too.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Shame you feel that way. I’ve been very encouraged and although we don’t have many particularly good players we are still 2nd in the league. I doubt many managers would be top with our squad.

Since this thread is about the next manager, I don’t think the next guy, whoever it may be, will do better than Ole. But once Ole is gone we will all have to move on. If the club is in the same ownership, I feel links with the successful teams of the past will be helpful, otherwise the club will forget itself. Much as the idea is derided, I’d take Giggs or even Keane. Before that, I’d like another ex player brought in as a director of football, Van Der Sar maybe. Lack of continuity has set us back in the past.
Why wouldn't you try to bring VDS for the executive role (to have that link) and get the brightest coaching prospect in Nagelsmann to do his job? You also have Nicky Butt as the head of first-team development, so how many links with the successful club of the past you actually need if that would be the case.

Sorry, but saying we should go for Giggs or Keane after Ole is borderline crazy.

croadyman

Why wouldn't you try to bring VDS for the executive role (to have that link) and get the brightest coaching prospect in Nagelsmann to do his job? You also have Nicky Butt as the head of first-team development, so how many links with the successful club of the past you actually need if that would be the case.

Sorry, but saying we should go for Giggs or Keane after Ole is borderline crazy.
Yeah this obsession with everyone in the club having that "Utd DNA" is starting to get ridiculous and we are really heading down that Liverpool of the 90s boot room thing and you all saw how that turned out in the end

The Neville wears Prada

Serious question... Klopp could soon be looking for work. Who would genuinely take him at United?

Honestly, I initially thought 'no way' because of his ability to completely and utterly flop (see Dortmund's final season and Liverpool now) and his connections to L'pool. But when I think more and more about it, surely it would be a no brainer to take him? (all hypothetical of course).

Interested to know what others think.

Wayne's World

Serious question... Klopp could soon be looking for work. Who would genuinely take him at United?

Honestly, I initially thought 'no way' because of his ability to completely and utterly flop (see Dortmund's final season and Liverpool now) and his connections to L'pool. But when I think more and more about it, surely it would be a no brainer to take him? (all hypothetical of course).

Interested to know what others think.
There's no chance he'd ruin his legacy at Liverpool to join us.

Giggsy13

It's 90's Liverpool logic. We need to be looking forward as a club, not digging into the past for answers.
We’re late 90s liverpool now. Clutching at straws and memories of the old days and bringing in players of that era to try and get back to that level. They tried Souness who failed then Evans who failed before bringing in Houllier who provided some success. Looks like our club still has a long way to go.

croadyman

We’re late 90s liverpool now. Clutching at straws and memories of the old days and bringing in players of that era to try and get back to that level. They tried Souness who failed then Evans who failed before bringing in Houllier who provided some success. Looks like our club still has a long way to go.
Yeah it's true and very sad to see happening indeed

Red00012

Eh I hate to break this to you but you should maybe check out what type of football a manager plays before naming someone

Listar

with the run they are going at the moment we may have a chance of landing Klopp :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edit: Someone beat me to it :(

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I would love to see Conte have a go, tbh.

People call him defensive, but it's more pragmatic, straight forward, no nonsense. Inter are currently top scorers in Serie A.

He's not a long term solution, but would certainly improve the mentality of some of our guys and give Pep a run for his money.

Murray3007

We clearly need someone who can improve players, we have a lot of potential in the squad but right now you look at them players and they look lost, theres no guidance, just left to hopefully produce a moment of magic, look at the form of the squad this year compared to last for example, for the money we have spent these players should be able to beat the likes of Palace etc, yes we are 2nd but christ if you get a chance go back and look at some of the performaces we managed to nick points from, Brighton Away, think they hit the woodwork about 5 times, West Brom Home, they got a penalty decision go against them and we got a soft pen, Southampton missed a sitter when they were 2-0 up. can actually only really think of 3/4 games where i thought we played really well and dominated majority of the game. if this is what is seen as progress then we are in for a torrid next few years

Last edited:

Needham

We've done the ethno-romantic clones (Moyes), has-been continental innovator hardmen (LVG), the Mourinhos (Mourinho), and the ex-player legends with managerial success in a minor European league (Ole).
Last remaining category is young English worked-a-miracle-deserves-a-chance-at-a-big-club (Eddie Howe).

Mylock

I have to laugh at some of the mangers that people on this forum are suggesting. How has Nagelmann become such a genius? Based on what? He's managing in a one-team league? His team were all over the place against Liverpool and us. He's the shiny new toy, the suggestion put forward by the media, look at the reality.
We need a proven WC manager who has done it all. Ollie has improved us up to a level, but we need Ancelotti to win titles. Look at his CV. He's not a busted flush like Jose or Van Gael, who were too stubborn to change with the times; look at the job he's doing at Everton. He would come in seamlessly and move us up to the next level. He has done it in all in the big leagues, with all the big clubs.
Where did Potter come from? He's managing Brighton in a relegation battle; he's done no better than Chris Hughton.
Nagalmann has the potential to get to the level, but we don't need potential at this stage; we need a manager who won't be learning on the job and can handle the pressure.
Ollie has moved us forward, steadied the ship, and reorganised the Academy, making the club feel united again to the fans. On the negative side, he has shown naivety with his decision making, far too loyal to some players. Some of his decisions like not giving Rashford and Bruno a rest, not taking off Fred against PSG, not dropping De Gea and Lindelof, not having competition for Wan Bisska will cost him dearly. The biggest weakness of Ollie and his staff is the lack of experience, which has shown far too often. I'd love to be proved wrong as he's such a gentleman, but football is a cruel game.
I believe Carlo Ancelotti is the only man if we are replacing Ollie.

OrcaFat

I’m sure most people agree with you.

Roboc7

I have to laugh at some of the mangers that people on this forum are suggesting. How has Nagelmann become such a genius? Based on what? He's managing in a one-team league? His team were all over the place against Liverpool and us. He's the shiny new toy, the suggestion put forward by the media, look at the reality.
We need a proven WC manager who has done it all. Ollie has improved us up to a level, but we need Ancelotti to win titles. Look at his CV. He's not a busted flush like Jose or Van Gael, who were too stubborn to change with the times; look at the job he's doing at Everton. He would come in seamlessly and move us up to the next level. He has done it in all in the big leagues, with all the big clubs.
Where did Potter come from? He's managing Brighton in a relegation battle; he's done no better than Chris Hughton.
Nagalmann has the potential to get to the level, but we don't need potential at this stage; we need a manager who won't be learning on the job and can handle the pressure.
Ollie has moved us forward, steadied the ship, and reorganised the Academy, making the club feel united again to the fans. On the negative side, he has shown naivety with his decision making, far too loyal to some players. Some of his decisions like not giving Rashford and Bruno a rest, not taking off Fred against PSG, not dropping De Gea and Lindelof, not having competition for Wan Bisska will cost him dearly. The biggest weakness of Ollie and his staff is the lack of experience, which has shown far too often. I'd love to be proved wrong as he's such a gentleman, but football is a cruel game.
I believe Carlo Ancelotti is the only man if we are replacing Ollie.

The academy has nothing to do with Ole, root and branch review and changes took place before he even joined as caretaker.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The candidates being discussed in this thread make a real big argument for sticking with Solskjaer, for now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The top 10 candidates according to the bookies:

Allegri
Rodgers
Nagelsmann
Hassenhuttl
Pochettino
Howe
Zidane
Benitez
Rangnick
Southgate

Not much to pick from to turn this squad into title contenders.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The top 10 candidates according to the bookies:

Allegri
Rodgers
Nagelsmann
Hassenhuttl
Pochettino
Howe
Zidane
Benitez
Rangnick
Southgate

Not much to pick from to turn this squad into title contenders.
Don't think any of them take this team above second.

hubbuh

What would Nagelsmann have to do to be considered a viable candidate for the people here that aren't convinced? Win the Bundesliga? Win the CL? Look at the squad he's working with and then look at the BL table. He's got them within 2 points of Bayern Munich! Our only worry with regards to Nagelsmann should be whether or not he'll be poached by the likes of Madrid before we can get to him.

Womp

idiot
What would Nagelsmann have to do to be considered a viable candidate for the people here that aren't convinced? Win the Bundesliga? Win the CL? Look at the squad he's working with and then look at the BL table. He's got them within 2 points of Bayern Munich! Our only worry with regards to Nagelsmann should be whether or not he'll be poached by the likes of Madrid before we can get to him.
I agree. Absolutely brilliant manager. Also wouldn't be surprised if he's the type to stick around at a club for a fair few years given his age too.