Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This would be a backwards signing. Can’t see it happening under ETH. He wants hungry players who’ll fit his system. We’ve moved away from superstar signings.

cpresc

----------- Kane -----------
Neymar ----- Rashford
---------- Bruno -----------

To be fair, I wouldn't be opposed to this, at all.

Chief123

Ten Haag asked about the possible Neymar transfer in press conference. He replied “When we have news, we will tell you”.

Sounds like there’s something in it. I have a bad feeling about this if it does go ahead.

Chief123

Neymar ----- Rashford

In the several years Rashford has been at Utd, he has been incredibly underwhelming when he’s played on the right. I would absolutely oppose this.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ten Haag asked about the possible Neymar transfer in press conference. He replied “When we have news, we will tell you”.

Sounds like there’s something in it. I have a bad feeling about this if it does go ahead.
Isn't that his answer to any transfer-related question? If it's about a United player, one of: 'he's doing great/improving, we want him here, he has a good personality/attitude, etc.' If it's about possible targets, more like: 'I don't comment on other teams/players, we'll let you know, or some other variant of basically piss off'.

croadyman

I cant think of a player that would be more opposite of what I imagine an ETH signing
They just had Vickery on Talksport and he thinks that Casa will be telling Erik something along the lines of,look boss he isn't this show pony that media make him out to be. I have seen with Brazil he is very prepared to put a shift in.

justboy68

I cant think of a player that would be more opposite of what I imagine an ETH signing
Why though? 99th percentile for progressive passes and right up there in a bunch of other categories as well as over 1 g/a game on average even this season. Harder worker than the likes of Rashford and Sancho.

Most managers and teammates have only good things to say about him. Don't see why Ten Hag would be any different. Injury record is the main concern but it all depends on if we get a loan with decently subsidised wages. Of course if it's going to cost us a million a week then maybe not but if it's a generous agreement then it makes a lot of sense.

croadyman

Why though? 99th percentile for progressive passes and right up there in a bunch of other categories as well as over 1 g/a game on average even this season. Harder worker than the likes of Rashford and Sancho.

Most managers and teammates have only good things to say about him. Don't see why Ten Hag would be any different. Injury record is the main concern but it all depends on if we get a loan with decently subsidised wages. Of course if it's going to cost us a million a week then maybe not but if it's a generous agreement then it makes a lot of sense.
Yeah loan with option to buy would be the best idea,however like you say wages will be huge

Rolaholic

They just had Vickery on Talksport and he thinks that Casa will be telling Erik something along the lines of,look boss he isn't this show pony that media make him out to be. I have seen with Brazil he is very prepared to put a shift in.
Yea the public perception of some superstars are almost entirely driven by media narratives instead of anything people really know about them personally or their conduct in football.

He's been the hardest working attacker at his clubs since Barcelona in terms of defensive workrate and work off the ball to create space and chances for himself and his teammates.

He's had injury trouble but that also has a bit to do with how often players were allowed to bludgeon him like they're playing rugby in France. When he's available he's still in the top percentile of most productive forwards in the world.

We could do much worse in a side that struggles often with creativity especially if a loan is a possibility.

Sure there would be a circus surrounding a megastar like him joining but we're also Manchester fecking United, it wouldn't be our first rodeo with a global superstar and the current manager has shown the requisite amount of guile and authority capable of managing such profiles like Fergie could.

Don't think Neymar at this stage of his career would be much of a locker room problem, he's shown to be a capable leader and team player for country and he'd be teammates with another leader for club and country that he has all the respect in the world for in Casemiro.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Neymar ----- Rashford

If we thought we got played through a lot before, wait until we roll this out!

croadyman

Yea the public perception of some superstars are almost entirely driven by media narratives instead of anything people really know about them personally or their conduct in football.

He's been the hardest working attacker at his clubs since Barcelona in terms of defensive workrate and work off the ball to create space and chances for himself and his teammates.

He's had injury trouble but that also has a bit to do with how often players were allowed to bludgeon him like they're playing rugby in France. When he's available he's still in the top percentile of most productive forwards in the world.

We could do much worse in a side that struggles often with creativity especially if a loan is a possibility.

Sure there would be a circus surrounding a megastar like him joining but we're also Manchester fecking United, it wouldn't be our first rodeo with a global superstar and the current manager has shown the requisite amount of guile and authority capable of managing such profiles like Fergie could.

Don't think Neymar at this stage of his career would be much of a locker room problem, he's shown to be a capable leader and team player for country and he'd be teammates with another leader for club and country that he has all the respect in the world for in Casemiro.
Yeah Casa is the trump card with all this

mu4c_20le

Haven't heard his name in awhile, thought he retired or something

TsuWave

This would be a backwards signing. Can’t see it happening under ETH. He wants hungry players who’ll fit his system. We’ve moved away from superstar signings.
United fans watch the superstars at City lifting titles after titles, and with a good chance of a treble this season, but somehow still post as if being a superstar means you've inherently lost your hunger. Then turn around and say "X manager wants ABC players that'll fit his system", meanwhile the manager is very much open to/doesn't rule out the players they're saying the manager wouldn't want to sign.

Curious stuff

DJ_21

United fans watch the superstars at City lifting titles after titles, and with a good chance of a treble this season, but somehow still post as if being a superstar means you've inherently lost your hunger. Then turn around and say "X manager wants ABC players that'll fit his system", meanwhile the manager is very much open to/doesn't rule out the players they're saying the manager wouldn't want to sign.

Curious stuff
Was they really superstars though or did pep turn them into superstars? That’s the question you have to ask. We’ve signed big name players over the past and they’ve all flopped. Maybe it’s different with ETH and he may be able to get a tune out of certain players. However, do you really think Neymar will fit into ETH plans and style? He doesn’t suit me as a pressing kind of player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Transfer doesn't have sense. His age, his awful injury history, the fact that we have Rashy there, wages, fee....no logic at all.

But feck me, i would take him for those 10 games per season :lol: . I miss having true magician in a team.

TsuWave

Was they really superstars though or did pep turn them into superstars? That’s the question you have to ask. We’ve signed big name players over the past and they’ve all flopped. Maybe it’s different with ETH and he may be able to get a tune out of certain players. However, do you really think Neymar will fit into ETH plans and style? He doesn’t suit me as a pressing kind of player.
Is Haaland not a superstar? KDB has been a superstar for years.

United has signed all sorts of players over the years that have flopped. If the criteria to not sign players is "has United signed X type of player before and have they flopped?" then we won't be signing anyone ever again.

I mean, the manager hasn't ruled it out for a reason. For all the talk about "pressing", this is a team that often employs Jadon Sancho, Rashford or Garnacho as LW - none of them exactly renown for "pressing", the difference being Neymar has 35 G/A this season. 18 goals, 17 assists. Have people seen what Neymar does regularly and consistently with a ball at his feet?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Can’t believe this hasn’t been picked up on here yet:

Chief123

The only positive I feel about it is the fact he is one of the few players in the world who has the ability to unlock defences and take them out of shape. It’s something we lack against park the bus teams. We focus more on rotating the play rather than an individual having the ability to do something special.

DJ_21

Is Haaland not a superstar? KDB has been a superstar for years.

United has signed all sorts of players over the years that have flopped. If the criteria to not sign players is "has United signed X type of player before and have they flopped?" then we won't be signing anyone ever again.

I mean, the manager hasn't ruled it out for a reason. For all the talk about "pressing", this is a team that often employs Jadon Sancho, Rashford or Garnacho as LW - none of them exactly renown for "pressing", the difference being Neymar has 35 G/A this season. 18 goals, 17 assists. Have people seen what Neymar does regularly and consistently with a ball at his feet?
Just going of your last paragraph… who els do we have other then rashford, sancho and garnacho for LW? I’d say rashford and garnacho press to a certain extent. As for Neymar having 18 goals and 17 assist. I think Rashford would easily get that in that league to be fair. I’m not saying this would be a bad signing I’m just saying I don’t think it would work in my opinion and most of the people who are all for it will be the first to moan about him when he’s always injured/diving, has bad form etc.

GazTheLegend

Same guy that signed Casemiro to be fair.

Very interesting quotes from Ten Hag himself it has to be said, his completely noncommittal "when we have news, we tell you" is amazing, it'll drive the muppets into OVERDRIVE because he's not the sort of guy that would even entertain that question if there really was nothing to it, but this might just be a sort of "so you're saying there's a chance?" sort of thing to me :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
You'd hope ETH would already know that because anyone who has watched Neymar does know that's what you get from him.

That’s what we said about our Ronnie. We absolutely talked ourselves into it and convinced ourselves it was a good idea. Didn’t end so well….
Ronaldo was very obviously at the end of his career and a camped in the box and wait for service kind of player when we signed him. Neymar, before his injury and the WC, was a top 3 player in the world just this past season. We're a team that struggles to score goals and this is a guy who creates them with ease and also scores a fair bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.