Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
He is good at it but it's an actual false nine, meaning that he provides zero physicality(he is relatively small) or aerial presence. It's only a good idea if you play a heavy possession style. If we don't get Kane, I prefer a young (fit) striker.
What do you think of Iheanacho? I think he offers a lot of what we want from a striker, and Leicester as a team always looked miles better with him. The fact that he's available for relatively cheap now (championship + a year left on his deal) makes it a relatively risk free and cheap signing if we go for it.

tidraKS

What do you think of Iheanacho? I think he offers a lot of what we want from a striker, and Leicester as a team always looked miles better with him. The fact that he's available for relatively cheap now (championship + a year left on his deal) makes it a relatively risk free and cheap signing if we go for it.
We want to challenge for PL and you guys mention Iheanacho :D Please.

Eddy_JukeZ

Neymar at Barca was a much better player than the current Neymar, don't forget about that.
Don't really think he is to be honest.

He just never got injured at Barcelona. He's lost some explosion from his Barcelona days, but made up for with increased/more effective playmaking duties + I think he's become a better creative passer. He's not as devastating a dribbler as he used to be, but he's still top tier. His playmaking at PSG is more pronounced. His numbers the past 5 seasons in that regard almost stack up to Messi's.

He was a better player at Barcelona, that I'll concede, but the gap isn't as big as you make out. He just can't stay fit to save his life at PSG so it probably leads to more talk of sharper decline.

Also Barcelona were a much better team full-stop than PSG. Re: his productivity being 'inflated' because of PSG being the dominant force in Ligue 1. I would say that's a fairer point for a more 'new' player. Also, Neymar's production last season was better than Mbappe's and on par with Messi's. While it was easier for him to get those stats in PSG than Marseille, he produced at an incredible rate.

Those numbers probably dip in the Premier League, but he's been insanely productive throughout his career.

If he can stay fit(and it is a big IF), I think he'd be our best attacker easily.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is good at it but it's an actual false nine, meaning that he provides zero physicality(he is relatively small) or aerial presence. It's only a good idea if you play a heavy possession style. If we don't get Kane, I prefer a young (fit) striker.
Highly doubt ETH wants to use a false 9 system as the mainstay, so if Kane isn't signed, I also hope we go for a younger striker.

I like Neymar as a false 9, but I'd prefer him playing off a striker.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I lost track of Leicester, so I don't really have an opinion.

Bestietom

If we could get Hojlund for 30million with another young striker like Ramos, we would have competition and be set up for years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don't really think he is to be honest.

He just never got injured at Barcelona. He's lost some explosion from his Barcelona days, but made up for with increased/more effective playmaking duties + I think he's become a better creative passer. He's not as devastating a dribbler as he used to be, but he's still top tier. His playmaking at PSG is more pronounced. His numbers the past 5 seasons in that regard almost stack up to Messi's.

He was a better player at Barcelona, that I'll concede, but the gap isn't as big as you make out. He just can't stay fit to save his life at PSG so it probably leads to more talk of sharper decline.

Also Barcelona were a much better team full-stop than PSG. Re: his productivity being 'inflated' because of PSG being the dominant force in Ligue 1. I would say that's a fairer point for a more 'new' player. Also, Neymar's production last season was better than Mbappe's and on par with Messi's. While it was easier for him to get those stats in PSG than Marseille, he produced at an incredible rate.

Those numbers probably dip in the Premier League, but he's been insanely productive throughout his career.

If he can stay fit(and it is a big IF), I think he'd be our best attacker easily.
Being fit and more explosive= much better player. It's that simple, he never displayed his playmaking at Barca consistently cause it wasn't needed with Messi/Iniesta and those qualities were more evident when Messi was injured and he carried their attack with Suarez.
I don't think there is a single aspect of football he's improved since he joined PSG.

Eddy_JukeZ

Being fit and more explosive= much better player. It's that simple, he never displayed his playmaking at Barca consistently cause it wasn't needed with Messi/Iniesta and those qualities were more evident when Messi was injured and he carried their attack with Suarez.
I don't think there is a single aspect of football he's improved since he joined PSG.
I do think his passing application is better now.

Still don't think he was 'much' better as a player at Barcelona if you ignore the injuries, but obviously, you have to take that into account.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If Woodward was still here the ink would be dry on the massive contract for Neymar.

Dont want him anywhere near the team

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If the interest is legit then I will continue to be slightly confused with United's and Ten Hag's direction for the team/club .

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wouldn’t sign him as a false 9 personally. I think we still need a 9. The 10 is where I’d probably play him, if we had a strong double pivot behind him. Keep Rashford left and perhaps play Bruno right side.

jackal&hyde

I'm all for it as long as we get the rest of our business done. We get what we need and have Neymar as added magic dust, perfect. The decision is on the manager anyway and I trust him; if ETH wants such level of star quality, then who are we to disagree?

And I promise that the first game Neymar goes past 2 or 3 players and scores a fantastic goal, all of us will be super happy to have such a WC player. He gets injured a lot, so what? We have Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Garnacho. This would not be a signing to define everything about the season but rather a big, big extra to win us games on his own at times.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Can't believe that even after all the shite we've gone through the last 5 years between Pogba and Ronaldo lads would still willingly want us to sign a player who's on a par with them egotistical wise. :houllier:

jackal&hyde

Can't believe that even after all the shite we've gone through the last 5 years between Pogba and Ronaldo lads would still willingly want us to sign a player who's on a par with them egotistical wise. :houllier:
The difference with Pogba, Sanchez and even Ronaldo is that those players were seen as the saviors. Players that should make the mediocre quality around them be top. The unlikely signing of Neymar would be no such thing; he would be the extra magic to a team that already has good wide attackers if a bit young or lacking confidence. Some of the big name players that failed here had unfair expectations put upon them to save everything, especially Pogba.

Andy_Cole

The difference with Pogba, Sanchez and even Ronaldo is that those players were seen as the saviors. Players that should make the mediocre quality around them be top. The unlikely signing of Neymar would be no such thing; he would be the extra magic to a team that already has good wide attackers if a bit young or lacking confidence. Some of the big name players that failed here had unfair expectations put upon them to save everything, especially Pogba.
I still don't think we're ready for someone of his status.

Zoo

Heard Julien Laurens saying earlier that all injured PSG players travelled to Strasbourg with the team to celebrate winning the title apart from Neymar who was at the Monaco GP. We don’t need this type of character and am pretty sure that Ten Hag will have no interest.

jackal&hyde

I still don't think we're ready for someone of his status.
I think players like Casemiro and Martinez matter a lot in the "anti prima donna" role. But you might be right. Neymar is a mega star; he could elevate the confidence or become an undesired focus for the team. I trust ETH regardless.

jackal&hyde

Heard Julien Laurens saying earlier that all injured PSG players travelled to Strasbourg with the team to celebrate winning the title apart from Neymar who was at the Monaco GP. We don’t need this type of character and am pretty sure that Ten Hag will have no interest.
What do you have against F1? I would have done the same. Especially since I'm going to Manchester United in a few weeks.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
If he's fit and motivated he walks in as probably the 3rd best player in the league.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
31, always injured, guaranteed to cause drama, low motivation (he left prime Barca for PSG)

Would be an awful decision to sign him.

croadyman

Those who want us to completely stay clear you will most likely get your wish anyway

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If we could get Hojlund for 30million with another young striker like Ramos, we would have competition and be set up for years.
Think it's Hojlund + Neymar or one of Kane/Ramos/Osinhem.

Just as assumption.

Jeffthered

I can't understand those who wouldn't take (and this is the thing...) a motivated Neymar, who agreed to take a huge drop in wages. Now, only his agent, himself and few others truly know the answers to those questions. ETH has earned my trust (despite Antony who I think he paid way, way, way over the odds for..) and I also think that any manager that takes Neymar, knows that certain matters need to be in place. Neymar may have priced himself out of playing for any team outside of Saudi which is a great shame... because he is an outstanding footballer. Outstanding. He gets injured because he gets smashed up. That's not his fault, so let's be fair here.

A motivated and happy Neymar takes us onto another level, easily. The other squad players would love such an arrival. But he has to be motivated because ETH will not tolerate any nonsense, we will not as fans, and I think the mentality within the squad would not respect that. We have CL and World Cup winners in the squad.

croadyman

I can't understand those who wouldn't take (and this is the thing...) a motivated Neymar, who agreed to take a huge drop in wages. Now, only his agent, himself and few others truly know the answers to those questions. ETH has earned my trust (despite Antony who I think he paid way, way, way over the odds for..) and I also think that any manager that takes Neymar, knows that certain matters need to be in place. Neymar may have priced himself out of playing for any team outside of Saudi which is a great shame... because he is an outstanding footballer. Outstanding. He gets injured because he gets smashed up. That's not his fault, so let's be fair here.

A motivated and happy Neymar takes us onto another level, easily. The other squad players would love such an arrival. But he has to be motivated because ETH will not tolerate any nonsense, we will not as fans, and I think the mentality within the squad would not respect that. We have CL and World Cup winners in the squad.
My doubts are would he take the drop in wages despite having his Brazilian best mate here

jackal&hyde

One of the fan channels was talking about how Casemiro was on the phone with Neymar about coming to United. No credibility there at all but I do trust Casemiro to be a positive influence; does not seem like the type of guy to accept BS from team mates, especially compatriots.

croadyman

One of the fan channels was talking about how Casemiro was on the phone with Neymar about coming to United. No credibility there at all but I do trust Casemiro to be a positive influence; does not seem like the type of guy to accept BS from team mates, especially compatriots.
Yeah that would have been on the back of that tweet saying Casa had been in contact

fps

I do think his passing application is better now.

Still don't think he was 'much' better as a player at Barcelona if you ignore the injuries, but obviously, you have to take that into account.
You can't ignore injuries, he's not as quick as he was, he's not as good as he was. He crushes a weak league where everyone else on the pitch is running more than him, big whoop.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Assuming Kane/Osimhen is ungettable....a player of his ilk in a false 9 type position could work extremely well if flanked by goalscoring wide players - Rashford and [if he who must not be named was set for a return]....we could then sign a younger CF (Holjund, Ferguson - though Brighton would probably try and hold on to him or ask ridiculous fees) and give them time to develop and stand in when Neymar inevitably gets injured.

It only works on a loan though, with his wage heavily subsidised by PSG (or through some Qatari sponsors) to maintain order to our wage structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.