NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"When you're an elite athlete waiting to hear about a multi million dollar future, THEN you can have the phone. Until then, sit still."

I stayed up til half 2 last night. Slowwww....

What's thoughts about which teams did well/didn't? Sure Bengals and Cowboys happy... doesn't sound like there's a lot of love for the Packers 1st round pick?
The Cowboys seem to be getting praised and I saw a fan on here happy with the pick but imo they should have been focussing on the other side of the ball, even though they got an elite player it’s not a position they had a big need

The Packers selection was absolutely ridiculous.

The Raiders used their 2nd first rounder for a guy most mocks had going late second early third round. They got a lightning fast WR with their 1st pick though.

Chargers got their QB but from what I’ve heard he doesn’t worry me as a Broncos fan.

Broncos got arguably the best WR of the draft without trading up which is a big win and makes our offence really nicely balanced.

Can’t think of others off hand.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
So I guess the Packers don’t have any ambition after all. Horrible pick.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What's thoughts about which teams did well/didn't? Sure Bengals and Cowboys happy... doesn't sound like there's a lot of love for the Packers 1st round pick?
5/10/15, Fins, Browns, Broncs respectively should all be ecstatic about staying put where they were and still getting who they wanted.

The 49ers looked drunk at first but ultimately they replaced their two big offseason departures with day 1 starters.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The Cowboys seem to be getting praised and I saw a fan on here happy with the pick but imo they should have been focussing on the other side of the ball, even though they got an elite player it’s not a position they had a big need

The Raiders used their 2nd first rounder for a guy most mocks had going late second early third round. They got a lightning fast WR with their 1st pick though.

Chargers got their QB but from what I’ve heard he doesn’t worry me as a Broncos fan.

Broncos got arguably the best WR of the draft without trading up which is a big win and makes our offence really nicely balanced.

In the end it comes down to best player Vs your weaknesses and cowboys always pick the big players . Personally see no point in going overboard either way after the draft . The percentage of success with most picks is pretty low

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I disagree it isn't a big need. We literally have no receiver #3.

Granted we have bigger needs, but it was definitely a need. And when you see the amount of defensive talent still on the board going into day 2 I think it's worked out brilliantly.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Granted we have bigger needs, but it was definitely a need. And when you see the amount of defensive talent still on the board going into day 2 I think it's worked out brilliantly.
Fair enough mate

sport2793

He's stealing a living after having just been fired from his last HC job in college.
Yah, he should be on his knees thanking Sean McVay. Stupid GMs never learn.
It's funny because as a member of a racial minority, Kingsbury's hire definitely resembled a "white man failing up". So many commentators, ranging from Sean Payton to Stephen A. "I've got street cred" Smith, called him a flop before the first snap and rightfully railed against NFL coaching hire policies. After all, Kingsbury replaced a black head coach who was only given one season before being axed.

As a Cardinals fan though, I take a more nuanced view and look at the whole picture. Texas Tech is a relatively small profile university in an extremely competitive market and college football tends to come down to recruiting. Despite this, Kingsbury was able to put together prolific offenses in his time there with lower caliber talent. On top of this, when you look at the list of quarterbacks he has worked with, there are few coaches that can match him. The quarterback that probably played the most under Kingsbury is no other than one Patrick Mahomes, the best QB in the NFL right now. His defenses were always a shambles but the Cards didn't hire him to coach defense anyways (although I remain unconvinced by Vance Joseph for obvious reasons).

Ultimately, the Cardinals decided to pair Kingsbury with Kyler, which has looked like a wise move at least after one season considering that Kyler is already proficient with Air Raid offenses, fueling his Offensive Rookie of the Year season. The team looked more competent and equally importantly, happier, last season than they did under Steve Wilks. I'm happy to give him another season or two but the team needs to continue to progress for him to remain in a job, like anyone else.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's funny because as a member of a racial minority, Kingsbury's hire definitely resembled a "white man failing up". So many commentators, ranging from Sean Payton to Stephen A. "I've got street cred" Smith, called him a flop before the first snap and rightfully railed against NFL coaching hire policies. After all, Kingsbury replaced a black head coach who was only given one season before being axed.

As a Cardinals fan though, I take a more nuanced view and look at the whole picture. Texas Tech is a relatively small profile university in an extremely competitive market and college football tends to come down to recruiting. Despite this, Kingsbury was able to put together prolific offenses in his time there with lower caliber talent. On top of this, when you look at the list of quarterbacks he has worked with, there are few coaches that can match him. The quarterback that probably played the most under Kingsbury is no other than one Patrick Mahomes, the best QB in the NFL right now. His defenses were always a shambles but the Cards didn't hire him to coach defense anyways (although I remain unconvinced by Vance Joseph for obvious reasons).

Ultimately, the Cardinals decided to pair Kingsbury with Kyler, which has looked like a wise move at least after one season considering that Kyler is already proficient with Air Raid offenses, fueling his Offensive Rookie of the Year season. The team looked more competent and equally importantly, happier, last season than they did under Steve Wilks. I'm happy to give him another season or two but the team needs to continue to progress for him to remain in a job, like anyone else.
I've followed him since he was a pretty good QB in college. He's been nothing but average as a coach and frankly I was shocked to see he got him get hired as a HC. At best, he's a pretty good college level OC.

sport2793

I've followed him since he was a pretty good QB in college. He's been nothing but average as a coach and frankly I was shocked to see he got him get hired as a HC. At best, he's a pretty good college level OC.
Maybe so, but then I guess that would make Mike McCoy a pee-wee level OC.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I know I’m late here but I’m absolutely stoked about Jeudy. Excited for the Broncos this year.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
@sport2793 What I meant by my comment is that the NFL is such a copycat league and it reeks of laziness. Young coach like Sean McVay has success, so go find the next one. Hence, a mediocre/failure college coach like Kingsbury gets a NFL gig. Or find the next Patrick Mahomes. That's what Green Bay is praying for by trading up in the 1st round to draft the likes of Jordan Love. What these GMs are seemingly not getting, is a player like Mahomes is truly a generational type talent and doesn't grow on trees.

If Kingsbury got a NFL offensive coordinator gig based on his past work with young QBs and being viewed as some sorta QB whisperer, that'd be one thing. But to get a head coaching job, with less than a .500 record (35-40 overall) as a mid-level college coach is madness.

lsd

The Oracle

Yes we certainly needed a reciever in this draft cobb is gone and Cooper blows hot and cold .People get caught up in this we need to go defence but that was never the whole case .

We had to take Lamb as he was the best player on the board and not doing so would hand him to the Eagles making life so much harder for us in the division.

There are enough prospects to come for safety and Cornerback plus we also need something at QB as if Dak ever goes down we have absolutely nothing

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There was no value on defense there for Dallas unless you’re high on Chaisson’s upside. Lamb plays bigger than he is, so he can do Z/Y/X whatever WR spot you need, which is good for formations and in case of an injury.

It‘s getting good ‘grades’ everywhere.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Started to get into the NFL a bit last year, and gave the first round a watch as my sleeping pattern is fecked anyway.

Enjoyed it even though I obviously have very limited knowledge of any of the moving parts. However, I can really fecking do without the tabloid journalism type shit they feel the need to throw in every time: "Interesting pick! He'll fit into their scheme nicely. The following members of his family are dead..."

gormless

Started to get into the NFL a bit last year, and gave the first round a watch as my sleeping pattern is fecked anyway.

Enjoyed it even though I obviously have very limited knowledge of any of the moving parts. However, I can really fecking do without the tabloid journalism type shit they feel the need to throw in every time: "Interesting pick! He'll fit into their scheme nicely. The following members of his family are dead..."
last year was amazing. I think it was ESPN who basically went “This player was recently arrested for assault. As he makes his way to the stage, let’s enjoy the video of him committing that assault.”

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think Chaisson, Murray and even Queen would've been more useful picks, but I get your thought process yeah. Still he's going to be third on the depth chart for now, it seems a bit of overkill.
Certainly wasn't overkill in 1998 when the Vikings had Carter and Reed yet drafted Moss. Gotta keep in mind that Gallop will be due a big contract in two years and at that time Dallas will need to either keep him/let Cooper go, or vice versa, and that thrusts Lamb to #1. @lsd also correctly pointed out Cooper's hot/cold routine. There's been a few analysts ripping him as a player that shows up in blowouts and against crap opposition.

Hephaestus

Trying to work out what annoys me more, the constant sob stories ESPN come up with or the fact that Matt Patricia still has that pencil tucked above his ear while sitting at home.

MrMarcello

Or as Jimmy has said about how he built the Cowboys through the draft (and trades) - you take the best talent at that draft slot, then plug and play. Don't get tunnel vision on "need."

bucky

Talk to me about remaining talents college football watchers.
Josh Jones, Fulton, Epenesa, Laviska Shenault, Delpit

McKinney to the Giants and Kyle Dugger to the Patriots, both safeties

MrMarcello

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Jonathan Taylor - hard to believe he's still available. Also, Delpit, Dobbins, Frohm, Eason

Bryce Hall as well - should've gone much higher if not for a recent injury.

MrMarcello

Jonathan Taylor - hard to believe he's still available. Also, Delpit, Dobbins, Frohm, Eason

Bryce Hall as well - should've gone much higher if not for a recent injury.
Heard some clubs are fearful of his usage rate to date. Dude has logged nearly a 1000 touches in three years. Might get 3-5 years out of him but could be a solid pick in round 2.

Colts just grabbed him. Will certainly help Rivers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
  • Shenault is like if Adrian Peterson switched to WR late in his development. If the lightswitch goes on he’s scary. Mims also has high potential at WR but hasn’t put it all together on tape.
  • Any of J K Dobbins, J Taylor, or Cam Akers could end up the best RB in the draft.
  • the safety Delpit was a top 15 pick before the season started, but had a nagging high-ankle and dropped like a rock because he wasn’t aggressive enough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Heard some clubs are fearful of his usage rate to date. Dude has logged nearly a 1000 touches in three years. Might get 3-5 years out of him but could be a solid pick in round 2.

Colts just grabbed him. Will certainly help Rivers.
He reminds me of Henry...with much better college stats than Henry.

MrMarcello

• the safety Delpit was a top 15 pick before the season started, but had a nagging high-ankle and dropped like a rock because he wasn’t aggressive enough.
ESPN profile...

Delpit missed too many tackles and didn't play as well last season as he did in 2018 with a high ankle sprain playing a big role. That said, he's a well-built safety who is competitive lining up over the slot and matching up with tight ends. He picked off seven passes over the past two seasons, has a nose for the football and shows excellent focus when the ball is in the air. And while Delpit needs to be more consistent, he's an aggressive run-stopper. -- Steve Muench

Sylar

So I guess the Packers don’t have any ambition after all. Horrible pick.
Given how low the second round pick will be, essentially they aren't picking somebody to help Rodgers until the third round
Yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.