NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm a bit disappointed to not the see the Vikings trade up and get one of the DTs in the early 3rd round but Jefferson, Dantzler, Gladney and Cleveland are a decent bunch.

Sylar

@Sylar @HTG depressed enough?

Trying to stay positive
can just imagine them trying to get a Mason Crosby replacement next too cos why not

Packers went 13-3 and were one game from the Super Bowl
Weaknesses were clear in terms of stopping the run game and offensive weapons outside of Adams
The strengths were a HOF QB and a top RB
So it seems their first two picks were replacements / competition for their strengths

TE might be good. One thing packers need to do is the short gains and move the chains esp on third downs so that might be good. I've heard mixed things about Deguara so who knows.
But it's nearly as bad as United losing in the cl final and losing Tevez and Ronaldo and bringing in obertan Owen and Valencia...
Except this happens so frequently for the packers

Will wait to see remainder and how that plays out and of course free agency but it's disappointing so far

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I know nothing about the quality of the players themselves but happy to see Denver adding depth in the secondary and D-line, and especially pleased with picking up a centre. I’d seen Cushenberry on a few wish lists before day 2, so going to assume he’s a good pick.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I know nothing about the quality of the players themselves but happy to see Denver adding depth in the secondary and D-line, and especially pleased with picking up a centre. I’d seen Cushenberry on a few wish lists before day 2, so going to assume he’s a good pick.
My friend in Fort Worth had The Ticket with Norm Hitzges on last night and the Cowboys were high on Cushenberry but went with DT depth.

JPRouve

Scout

This situation is messy.

Sylar

Draft vs Depth Chart

#2 QB
#3 RB
#4 TE

Probably a #5 WR next.

This is nuts!
I'm trying to think of the plan and the only thing I can think of is they gonna let jones go and not have to pay him (next year)
And then try to bolster the squad with FA

Or Fleur doesn't like Rodgers and wants him gone within a year or two rather than five

I think the biggest travesty from all this will be 2 SB rings and 3 appearances within 25 or so years with Favre and Rodgers back to back

lsd

The Oracle
Some good Quarterbacks still left . Surely Patriots will go for one of Eason or Fromm.

Josh Love is one I wouldn't mind for the Cowboys

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some good Quarterbacks still left . Surely Patriots will go for one of Eason or Fromm.

Josh Love is one I wouldn't mind for the Cowboys
I remember reading a tweet the other night (some NFL 'expert'). Said something like... Jordan Love is a terrible pick. Not only is he not a top draft pick, he's not even the best player called 'J Love' in the draft.

Burn.

Got no idea who these college players are apart from some of the top ones (been googling/watching tape over last week) but sounds like Niners doing ok? ( hopefully another SB shot.)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm trying to think of the plan and the only thing I can think of is they gonna let jones go and not have to pay him (next year)
And then try to bolster the squad with FA

Or Fleur doesn't like Rodgers and wants him gone within a year or two rather than five

I think the biggest travesty from all this will be 2 SB rings and 3 appearances within 25 or so years with Favre and Rodgers back to back
Feel like it's more a challenge/replacement for Williams and they're just gonna be leaning on the run even more this year. Going 13-3 without deserving it was really a bit of a curse.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Colts are great landing spot for Eason. He needs a lot of coaching, and can sit and learn from Reich and Rivers.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's 2020 and the Packers drafted a backup QB in round 1 who grades horribly by all analysts I've read, a backup RB in round 2 and a blocking TE in round 3. They went on to explain, that they want to run the ball more.
I have a hard time imagining how this could have gone any worse.

I mean, look at his:

JPRouve

Scout
Spielman traded back in the 5th round? He is having a laugh. :lol:

Edit: Correction it's for a 2021 4th round pick.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I do enjoy reading up on some of the draftees. Check out the 'Background' for my teams 2nd round LB pick.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's 2020 and the Packers drafted a backup QB in round 1 who grades horribly by all analysts I've read, a backup RB in round 2 and a blocking TE in round 3. They went on to explain, that they want to run the ball more.

I mean, look at his:
Saints and Bucs, with aging all-time great QBs: let‘s fill the most obvious need on offense to help him.
Packers, with an all timer that has 4 years on his contract: let’s draft a project as his replacement, a backup RB, and a backup TE...are there any punters available?

Sylar

I mean, look at his:
I guess the drafts today will give Rodgers protection
I think
Maybe

Ugh
This feels like a bears fan took control of the drafts for packers on the Madden game

roseguy64

Is the draft something worth watching? For someone in the UK what time is it? Is it at all entertaining? And is it even on TV over here?
I usually watch the first round and then have it on in the background. This year I decided to listen to a live podcast recording (from the Patriots) while having it on in the background to see the visuals.

Jack-C20

I usually watch the first round and then have it on in the background. This year I decided to listen to a live podcast recording (from the Patriots) while having it on in the background to see the visuals.
I caught a large amount of the first couple of days but missed the last day. Overall I enjoyed the experience. Was a little long winded and being a Packers fan the picks were questionable but it was an interesting watch. Now just the long wait for the season to start.

Sylar

Aaron Rodgers was supposed to be back in screen for the pick, imagine how awkward that would have been.
I guess he would have been diplomatic but he's gotta be the most disappointed about this. For so many years he just hasn't been provided adequate help.

That guy who's a Packers fan .. poor sod. I wonder how he felt after the next round too... keep sharp knives away from him.

as a UK watcher, I don't get the intricacies of the draft, trades, etc so any thoughts as to why the Packers drafted Love? why would they do something that every fan, media, social media person thought was stupid?

The only thing I could think of is if they thought Rodgers form was falling off a cliff (and no one else had picked up on it). But even then, a QB with such average stats is not a replacement for a HOfer? And not with a 1st rd pick?

OR if an option came up like Joe Burrow who they couldn't turn down and they were thinking of easing him in and trading Rodgers in a year (get a player swap or pick up a decent future draft pick

Sylar

@BeforeKeanetherewasRobson

Only thing I can think of with their initial choices is that they think there won't be a better QB available in the next 2-3 years for drafting and in that time they can get one ready and learning plays behind one of the best.
And with the second pick they will replace AJ and not have to pay him next year.

I think packers have wasted Rodgers by not supporting him. McCarthy should have gone after the seahawks disaster any way

@BeforeKeanetherewasRobson

Only thing I can think of with their initial choices is that they think there won't be a better QB available in the next 2-3 years for drafting and in that time they can get one ready and learning plays behind one of the best.
And with the second pick they will replace AJ and not have to pay him next year.

I think packers have wasted Rodgers by not supporting him. McCarthy should have gone after the seahawks disaster any way
Thanks. Would have thought it's tough to say whether a 20 year old will be good enough come 22 as they change so much. No-one had Joe Burrow as no.1 pick a year ago?

And from what I've read, Love's not deemed special, so why not see what 2021 brings, though I realise each year is a year closer to Rodgers end and that's a gamble.

Lots of reports saying some top QBs next year (Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence... probably means something to college football watchers) and they might have a higher draft no next year (Vikings apparently had a good draft) or trade up.

Complicated?

Jack-C20

Thanks. Would have thought it's tough to say whether a 20 year old will be good enough come 22 as they change so much. No-one had Joe Burrow as no.1 pick a year ago?

And from what I've read, Love's not deemed special, so why not see what 2021 brings, though I realise each year is a year closer to Rodgers end and that's a gamble.

Lots of reports saying some top QBs next year (Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence... probably means something to college football watchers) and they might have a higher draft no next year (Vikings apparently had a good draft) or trade up.

Complicated?
From what I’ve read online not many people see Love being able to carry on in Rodgers footsteps, definitely not without a few years learning from him anyway. I’ve never watched college football so I’ve not got a clue personally.

This is the first year I’ve really taken an interest in the draft so I’ve nothing to compare it to, but even I thought all of the picks were pretty ridiculous. I actually liked the look of the RB we picked but only because he’s a unit so could be entertaining to watch haha. The best thing I’ve seen online was that the draft was so terrible that there just has to be a master plan behind it but god knows what that is.

I asked a couple of weeks ago whether teams tank on purpose in the season to better their draft picks, and was told it was rare as due to the large squads and because of the competitiveness of the NFL it’s hard to get everyone to do it. My question now is could a GM and HC do it themselves? Yes we went 13-3 last year and were one game away from the super bowl but I genuinely expected a spanking any time we played a decent team. If we played the season again I don’t think it’d be crazy to think we could’ve ended 8-8. I must stress I don’t genuinely believe we have done this but I thought it was worth an ask. Either way, I’m still looking forward to the season. Who knows, we might look back at the end of next season calling the Gutekunst a genius... maybe... not :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Complicated?
The logic was he is sort of special: he was operating a new offense with basically a new team, so that is how some are excusing his poor stats last year. But he was great the previous season and can make throws no one else in this draft could, like Mahomes on one foot opposite side of the field type.

The problem is he’s much higher risk than Rodgers in the same scenario, and they could win the NFC next season with some help (cue SF laughing). Ultimately it all points to a power move from the rookie head coach, who won’t be lasting long at this rate.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
And by default, a new guard too because our now former center can play his natural position.
Which means that the Bucs are left with Blaine Gabbert to back Brady up when he inevitably gets injured. Very shaky decision imo.
Jameis is already a free agent. Hope he gets a deal with the Saints though. While I think he’s a clown, I thought Tampa was a bad team for him, which could be said about anyone who plays there. Look who the owners are... He can operate in a better system, a better line, be an understudy of future HOF QB, and not have the pressure like he did back at Tampa.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Jameis is already a free agent. Hope he gets a deal with the Saints though. While I think he’s a clown, I thought Tampa was a bad team for him, which could be said about anyone who plays there. Look who the owners are... He can operate in a better system, a better line, be an understudy of future HOF QB, and not have the pressure like he did back at Tampa.
I don’t think the owners had much to do with it. He had a highly respected offensive coach in Arians and one of the best 1-2-3 WR/TE combos in the league. Also, he was accustomed to pressure after playing his amateur career in the pressure cooker that is the South.

lsd

The Oracle
And by default, a new guard too because our now former center can play his natural position.

He did get eye surgery recently . I wonder will it make a difference for him . He is clearly talented and just needs to cut out the interceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.