NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-C20

Been a Packers fan for about 15 years now. I understand all the rules. I’m still not hundred percent on play calls and formations but that doesn’t really affect the entertainment.

One thing I have absolutely no idea about is the off season. One thing I’ve always wondered is about wether it’s better for a team to do worse off to get a better draft pick. For instance, last year the Packers got pretty far but we were scraping through games. I never thought we could even get to or win the Super Bowl even though miracles do happen. For that reason wouldn’t it be better to just not go that far?I’m not really sure what I’m asking here as I’d definitely like my team to go as far as possible but it got me thinking. I’m sure it’s way more complicated than that.

If that’s a stupid/vague question I’ll try another. How is it possible that a team can be relatively low ranked for plenty of years? If they’re constantly getting high picks is it just bad choices?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Been a Packers fan for about 15 years now. I understand all the rules. I’m still not hundred percent on play calls and formations but that doesn’t really affect the entertainment.

One thing I have absolutely no idea about is the off season. One thing I’ve always wondered is about wether it’s better for a team to do worse off to get a better draft pick. For instance, last year the Packers got pretty far but we were scraping through games. I never thought we could even get to or win the Super Bowl even though miracles do happen. For that reason wouldn’t it be better to just not go that far?I’m not really sure what I’m asking here as I’d definitely like my team to go as far as possible but it got me thinking. I’m sure it’s way more complicated than that.

If that’s a stupid/vague question I’ll try another. How is it possible that a team can be relatively low ranked for plenty of years? If they’re constantly getting high picks is it just bad choices?
Yea teams will deliberately “tank” if they think a high draft pick is worth it and they have no prospects for the current season, albeit they’ll never admit it.

And yes, simply bad management can see teams manage to be constantly getting high draft picks and still not managing to make things worse. See; Cleveland Browns.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sean Payton tests positive for Corona. Anyone else think that it’s not unthinkable that the season gets postponed?

Hephaestus

Sean Payton tests positive for Corona. Anyone else think that it’s not unthinkable that the season gets postponed?
Yep, we still don't know how long everything will last, no guarantee everything is back to normal by August/September.

Jack-C20

Yea teams will deliberately “tank” if they think a high draft pick is worth it and they have no prospects for the current season, albeit they’ll never admit it.

And yes, simply bad management can see teams manage to be constantly getting high draft picks and still not managing to make things worse. See; Cleveland Browns.
Ah thanks man. Felt almost too cynical for a team to actually do it but then I don’t know the game like most do. I suppose it’s comparable in a way to teams over here playing weakened teams in ‘less important’ cups to improve their chances in others. Got to do whatever you can to improved your chances I guess.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ah thanks man. Felt almost too cynical for a team to actually do it but then I don’t know the game like most do. I suppose it’s comparable in a way to teams over here playing weakened teams in ‘less important’ cups to improve their chances in others. Got to do whatever you can to improved your chances I guess.
Tanking makes some sense in the NFL because there’s no relegation. If you’re clearly going to have a losing season anyway and there’s top class players at positions of need in the draft then it can work out for you.

There’s more to building a team than drafting well though, it’s a balancing act.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not that common in the NFL because there is a lot of players on the field and most of them are pretty good, so tanking is generally not done at 100%, it's more a matter of not signing free agents thattwouldn't make you a lot better but still good enough to win too many games. In the NHL, NBA or MLB tanking is a real thing with teams not playing their starters during the last months of the season or using very large rotations.

Jack-C20

Tanking makes some sense in the NFL because there’s no relegation. If you’re clearly going to have a losing season anyway and there’s top class players at positions of need in the draft then it can work out for you.

There’s more to building a team than drafting well though, it’s a balancing act.
Yes as I found on Madden 20. Was trying to do a franchise legit (apart from my two god tier created star players) and I had to try and get rid of Rogers as he was smashing my cap. Couldn’t for the life of me work out how to trade him away as no one wanted a 36 year old on 40million a year strangely. Gave up after that and turned salary cap off! I think there’s more I don’t understand because I don’t think I ever managed to make one trade work, apart from one where I offered three great players for one average one. There’s clearly more to learn.

I am enjoying to off season so far though. Only one where I’ve followed the NFL page on Facebook and there’s way more moves happening than I ever realised.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yes as I found on Madden 20. Was trying to do a franchise legit (apart from my two god tier created star players) and I had to try and get rid of Rogers as he was smashing my cap. Couldn’t for the life of me work out how to trade him away as no one wanted a 36 year old on 40million a year strangely. Gave up after that and turned salary cap off! I think there’s more I don’t understand because I don’t think I ever managed to make one trade work, apart from one where I offered three great players for one average one. There’s clearly more to learn.

I am enjoying to off season so far though. Only one where I’ve followed the NFL page on Facebook and there’s way more moves happening than I ever realised.
Make no mistake, if Rodgers was available for trade, half the league would beg the Packers to even sit at their table, even at 36 years old.

Jack-C20

Make no mistake, if Rodgers was available for trade, half the league would beg the Packers to even sit at their table, even at 36 years old.
In real life definitely. I fear when he retires a bit to be honest. But on Madden he may as well have been Lingard. No one was interested :(

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

There are some fundamentals in the NFL that work against tanking. The teams are so large whilst their careers on average are so short. This means all up and down the line players are playing their hardest to earn contracts. These guys will not stand down, and thus you can’t just replace one or two to tank effectively like the NBA.

This means your recourse to tanking is to trade away your best players ahead of time, but then you carry a heavy risk of still doing well enough you don’t get into the draft position you needed to change course. You see this with Miami, who was famously ‘tanking for Tua‘ supposedly but now might have to give up valuable draft capital to get him because they finished strongly.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

One-year deal. Damn, the Falcons offense could be one of the best in the business next season.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just when we were all starting to think the Glazers had stopped chucking piles of money at big names who are obviously past it :mad: /:wenger:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Similar to Brees' last two deals. 2 years, $50m.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Similar to Brees' last two deals. 2 years, $50m.
Think the 2 years was what he wanted all along. This ‘play until 45’ thing is somewhat of an obsession for him.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Melvin Gordon to the Broncos! 2-year, $16m deal. Surprising signing.

@Rado_N @Organic Potatoes @Florida Man
Interesting. Should help improve our horrible 3rd down conversion %, as Lindsay can’t pass block to save his life God bless him.

I’m praying for a run on OTs and QBs so my boy CeeDee falls to us, but I’m not optimistic. Basically every mock draft has Ruggs going to Denver at that slot, and I’m perfectly fine with adding a 4.2-40 WR next to Sutton.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting. Should help improve our horrible 3rd down conversion %, as Lindsay can’t pass block to save his life God bless him.

I’m praying for a run on OTs and QBs so my boy CeeDee falls to us, but I’m not optimistic. Basically every mock draft has Ruggs going to Denver at that slot, and I’m perfectly fine with adding a 4.2-40 WR next to Sutton.
Ruggs looks the deal but I wouldn't focus on the 40-yard dash time, same goes for John Ross - you just don't know. Lamb would be an absolute steal where you guys are, can't see him lasting beyond #11 or #13 at the max.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ruggs looks the deal but I wouldn't focus on the 40-yard dash time, same goes for John Ross - you just don't know. Lamb would be an absolute steal where you guys are, can't see him lasting beyond #11 or #13 at the max.
Not just the 40, look at the hand size, man... Over 10” for a speed merchant! :yawn:

Seriously though, his moderate production at Bama is a concern but he was playing in basically an NFL WR corps. The best I’ve ever seen at a collegiate level.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sanders to the Saints. Damn, that offense is gonna be explosive.

2 year, $16m deal. Same one as Gordon got from the Broncos.

Last edited:

Phil

Broncos seem to be shaping up pretty nicely this year after it seems like they made good strides towards the end of last year.

Now there's an extra wildcard place too, that's only going to help being in the same division as Pat Mahomes.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Broncos seem to be shaping up pretty nicely this year after it seems like they made good strides towards the end of last year.

Now there's an extra wildcard place too, that's only going to help being in the same division as Pat Mahomes.
Yeah, think so too. Jurrell Casey is an underrated addition, their front 7 is just scary if everyone’s healthy.

It all stands or falls with Lock though.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Well my mum went out and played half a round of golf with a couple of her friends yesterday. I understand and don't have a problem with this as she will not have a chance to do so again for probably a year.

Also a couple of weeks ago I was out for a family meal for my brother's birthday. Of course this was before self isolation and social distancing really set in. Again highly unlikely we'll be doing this for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.