NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So where do people stand on having a 2nd team in the NFL? It’s not another team to support like I do the Packers but another team to add a bit more interest into Sunday evenings when the Packers are on at silly o’clock.
My way around that is find teams to root against and just watch those games. I had great fun watching the Niners and the fecking Vikings lose this weekend. But to your question, especially if you're not US based, most of us have just picked teams we liked or developed an emotional connection with based something arbitrary, so by all means pick another team if its going to enhance your enjoyment of the sport.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Massive. Whoever wins will go a long way towards demonstrating their legitimacy as a contender. Though I have my doubts about the Pats; I don’t think a real rookie QB has ever lead a team to the SB before.
Yeah, I think we are well organised with a good game plan, but if we go behind by more than a score I can’t see us coming back against a big team. But we’ve exceeded my expectations so far, I hope to be surprised again. I certainly think we are a play off team although I expected wild card - not really sure what’s going on with the Bills.

RoadTrip

Yep. That post was from the first quarter when our offense looked formidable and completely disintegrated after. I think the problem stems from teams having a cohesive plan to stop Kelce and Hill getting free and the other receiving forwards are either not getting into the space vacated by the defense to track Hill or they are and they just drop the ball. I haven't looked at the stats but it looks like we aren't getting as many as those 30+ yard down the field catches that we were in the last 2 years. Earlier on in the season you could point to our OL being shit and allowing no time for Mahomes to make the big play but that hasn't been happening recently.
Teams have learnt to not blitz Mahomes. Stack the secondary. That’s what teams have learnt and executed this year against you.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why did the Bills not go for 2 there to tie the game? Seems odd to me.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You have got to be kidding me with these personal fouls on QBs. Josh Allen was still in play, and that call ruled out a 4th down.

If you don’t slide or have been ruled down, then you’re still fair game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
The decision not to do a 2 point conversion looking pretty bad now.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I'd be very surprised if there's a camera angle that would overturn that decision.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
There's a yeti in the crowd supporting the Bills

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Weirdly enjoyable game.

Don't think I've ever seen a team try a qb sneak on 3rd and 5.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Soooo, who's in the "wins are a QB stat" camp and who's not? :D

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mac Jones’ stat line :lol:

Big win in tough conditions.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Pats ran it on 32 consecutive plays. Ran it on 32 consecutive plays. 32 consecutive plays.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
2/3 for 19 yards and still got the W :lol:
Incredible. The ‘Brady carried Belichick to six Super Bowls’ narrative from last season is evaporating before our very eyes. Which it should do because it was dumb.

RoadTrip

Incredible. The ‘Brady carried Belichick to six Super Bowls’ narrative from last season is evaporating before our very eyes. Which it should do because it was dumb.
:lol:

I mean I agree - but speaking as a Pats fan, it wasn’t like some genius move to run it every play bar 3… it was simply playing the conditions and playing the odds that the Bills would beat themselves.

The whole it was him it was not him narrative was dumb from the beginning. They both contributed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
To dominate for 20 years the way they did it’s obvious Brady and BB were integral parts of the dynasty and wouldn’t have been as dominant without each other.

They are both also dominating without each other mind :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Belichick was an underperformer in his previous jobs before Brady entered his world and underperformed last year, the moment Brady left it as well. He will need to win a Super Bowl without Brady to break that narrative.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Belichick was an underperformer in his previous jobs before Brady entered his world and underperformed last year, the moment Brady left it as well. He will need to win a Super Bowl without Brady to break that narrative.
Nonsense.

Phil Jackson never won a title without MJ or Kobe
Red Auerbach never won a title without Bill Russell
Gregg Popovich never won a title without Tim Duncan

Arguably the 3 greatest coaches in NBA history.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nonsense.

Phil Jackson never won a title without MJ or Kobe
Red Auerbach never won a title without Bill Russell
Gregg Popovich never won a title without Tim Duncan

Arguably the 3 greatest coaches in NBA history.
This has nothing to do with Belicheck. He was average before Brady and had a losing record in his previous head coaching gig with the Browns. This would literally only be his 2nd winning season of his career without Brady.

Mike Smalling

This has nothing to do with Belicheck. He was average before Brady and had a losing record in his previous head coaching gig with the Browns. This would literally only be his 2nd winning season of his career without Brady.
This already is a winning season. Worst they can do is 9-8. Also, it would be fair to count the season where Brady was missing for 15 games - they went 11-5 that year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This already is a winning season. Worst they can do is 9-8. Also, it would be fair to count the season where Brady was missing for 15 games - they went 11-5 that year.
I factored this year into my previous post. He had one winning season out of 5 with the Browns

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Load of nonsense. Brady was nothing special for those first three superbowl seasons.

Mike Smalling

I factored this year into my previous post. He had one winning season out of 5 with the Browns
Yeah, and one winning season in 2008 without Brady (he played one game and threw for 76 yards that year, so Belichick had a winning season with the back-up QB). So this will be his 3rd in my view.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can’t stand Belicheck but the idea that he was a passenger in that era is utterly ridiculous.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He had two Super Bowl rings as a DC with the Giants before Tom Brady was out of short trousers. Then when Brady was out injured one year he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell and then 3-1 with Jimmy G during Brady’s suspension. Now he’s 9-4 with Mac Jones. Yeah he didn’t do well at Cleveland but so what? That was early in his HC career. And Cleveland has been a dumpster fire for decades as we know. Also the 7/8 last year was with Cam, who is washed (sadly). And the Pats were retooling. The narrative is dumb, I’m sorry. Go look at Brady’s stats in those early years. They were winning games when the offence put up like 10 points.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I can’t stand Belicheck but the idea that he was a passenger in that era is utterly ridiculous.
Indeed. I’m not a fan of his either but we’ve got to stop the nonsense. He’s been in charge of coaching and the entire personnel of that team for years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He had two Super Bowl rings as a DC with the Giants before Tom Brady was out of short trousers. Then when Brady was out injured one year he went 10-6 with Matt Cassell and then 3-1 with Jimmy G during Brady’s suspension. Now he’s 9-4 with Mac Jones. Yeah he didn’t do well at Cleveland but so what? That was early in his HC career. And Cleveland has been a dumpster fire for decades as we know. Also the 7/8 last year was with Cam, who is washed (sadly). And the Pats were retooling. The narrative is dumb, I’m sorry. Go look at Brady’s stats in those early years. The were winning games when the offence put up like 10 points.
I wasn't talking about his assistant roles. He was a great assistant coach and is also a great head coach. Just drawing a distinction that when you decouple Brady and Belichick, its Brady that has won the Super Bowl in his first year with another team. Belichick can match that this year and rebalance the narrative of who was more important to New England's success.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I wasn't talking about his assistant roles. He was a great assistant coach and is also a great head coach. Just drawing a distinction that when you decouple Brady and Belichick, its Brady that has won the Super Bowl in his first year with another team. Belichick can match that this year and rebalance the narrative of who was more important to New England's success.
Bill Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bill Belichick, who was more important to the Giants’ success, Parcells or Belichick?

RoadTrip

It’s mad to think Brady drove the success by himself. How much each contributed can be debated but it is farcical to suggest it was one or the other, or even it was primarily one or the other. They both played a huge role.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s mad to think Brady drove the success by himself. How much each contributed can be debated but it is farcical to suggest it was one or the other, or even it was primarily one or the other. They both played a huge role.
Can you point me to where anyone said Brady drove the success by himself ? They were both integral to NE's success, but Brady's continued success after leaving NE suggests that he played a larger role in their 6 rings that some would like to give him credit for.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Can you point me to where anyone said Brady drove the success by himself ? They were both integral to NE's success, but Brady's continued success after leaving NE suggests that he played a larger role in their 6 rings that some would like to give him credit for.
Brady walked into a massively stacked team and played decently. Relax.

The Patriots lost way more than Brady last year, and had the rotting corpse of Cam Newton at QB, and still went 7-9.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Brady walked into a massively stacked team and played decently. Relax.

The Patriots lost way more than Brady last year, and had the rotting corpse of Cam Newton at QB, and still went 7-9.
The Bucs had a losing record the year prior to Brady's arrival. They won the Super Bowl the year he arrived. Maybe Belichick can match that this season.

RoadTrip

As someone who thinking Brady is the GOAT, and who thinks Bill is the GOAT, and being a Patriots fan, for once I feel I can be actually objective :lol:

I just think this debate is pointless. They both contributed. We can bicker who did more all day but we would never know. And it’s one of those debates where there really is no tangible evidence of what would have happened. Brady winning at Tampa is very impressive but doesn’t really say that much. Likewise if Bill wins this year, it also doesn’t say that much. People who like or don’t like Brady (@altodevil I’m looking at you) will always show confirmation bias in finding information that supports their view. It’s just a discussion which cannot ever be answered with any kind of evidence. So to me it’s pointless. In my mind neither wins 6 SBs without the other. I don’t even think they win 3 without the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.