NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Bruce Arians has confirmed Wirfs has a high ankle sprain and won’t get out of the boot until Friday. Doesn’t sound likely he can play vs. the Rams.

That’s a big blow for the Bucs. The backup was on skates when he came in, and they are going up against Donald and Miller. Maybe they can devise a scheme with Gronk blocking more, but they also need him to catch passes.
That’ll be a huge loss for the Bucs. For the most part itll be manageable because Brady gets it out so fast. But unless they can get a good run game going, that becomes increasingly difficult. So Fournette will be key too. I think you’re right though, they’ll use a TE to get help there, probably chip blocking. Not sure how good Howard or Brate are on that front.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure this increases the Niners’ chances or not :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

If it has “surged” to -6, then the odds were fecked up to start with.
Yeah that part made me wonder how legit it was, because I checked this morning and GB was -5.5 so.. I honestly don’t know which way the line would move, probably think in GB’s favour, but it certainly hasn’t “surged” at all.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Bruce Arians has confirmed Wirfs has a high ankle sprain and won’t get out of the boot until Friday. Doesn’t sound likely he can play vs. the Rams.

That’s a big blow for the Bucs. The backup was on skates when he came in, and they are going up against Donald and Miller. Maybe they can devise a scheme with Gronk blocking more, but they also need him to catch passes.
We'll slide Kappa into RT, Stinnie into RG. It will hurt us, but it's not catastrophic. Another injury to the offensive line on Sunday, then we will be heading in that direction.

That said, the extent of the injury apparently isn't as severe as feared, but a HAS is still a HAS & immobilization can only do so much in the short term. Wouldn't be surprised to see him dress though knowing that kid.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

Did you see the cool stat that that was Von’s first playoff game since the 2015 season and he still leads the league in number of playoff sacks since then?
No I hadn’t, Jesus that’s mad!

I did see he turned up wearing a DT tribute T-shirt which was a nice touch.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
For all the Jerryworld shenanigans, that’s a truly horrific statistic. Brady won more playoff games last year alone :lol:

Putting yourself in Jerry’s shoes, how would / could you really justify keeping MM? I really don’t see how it’s possible unless you think paying Dak was the big mistake.
I could write a ten page paper on this subject dating back to 28 March 1994.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The playmaker was pretty wild before he found the lord.
Irvin was the start of the Cowboys resurgence way back when. The first of the big 3(Aikman, Smith,Irvin) That whole team was on the edge but such a good team.
Now we have a QB that is so inconsistent it’s scary. Zeke who should be behind Pollard in the depth chart.An aging Oline. A dumb as shit D line who constantly kill us with penalties. A friggin stadium that has the sun beaming into receivers eyes. Our window has passed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Irvin was the start of the Cowboys resurgence way back when. The first of the big 3(Aikman, Smith,Irvin) That whole team was on the edge but such a good team.
Now we have a QB that is so inconsistent it’s scary. Zeke who should be behind Pollard in the depth chart.An aging Oline. A dumb as shit D line who constantly kill us with penalties. A friggin stadium that has the sun beaming into receivers eyes. Our window has passed.
Agreed on Zeke. A ridiculous cap hit for a player who is already in decline

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Hephaestus

Seahawks are apparently asking to interview Ed Donatell and Sean Desai for the vacant DC job, having decided to make Ken Norton Jr the scapegoat for our failure this season (not saying he shouldn't have been fired, he 100% deserved to go, just annoyed he's the only change we're making). Would probably prefer the latter, think Bears defence was pretty good considering injuries/offence sucking and I don't know how much Donatell did in Denver given I think Fangio had control of the playcalling etc.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Think that's the right decision at the moment, he took over for a 4-12 team or something like that last season and had them in the playoffs this season. Poor weapons as well aside from Goedert and Smith (who they underused). Didn't look like himself in the last month or so but was clearly bothered by the ankle sprain and was in a walking booth right after the playoff loss last weekend.

Think if they upgrade the skill position players on offense and try to make sure he develops his passing ability, he can be a good starting QB in the NFL. Definitely needs to improve on his intermediate and deep passing game though, #1 priority for him. Could also make him more efficient as a runner if teams have to be aware of that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Think that's the right decision at the moment, he took over for a 4-12 team or something like that last season and had them in the playoffs this season. Poor weapons as well aside from Goedert and Smith (who they underused). Didn't look like himself in the last month or so but was clearly bothered by the ankle sprain and was in a walking booth right after the playoff loss last weekend.

Think if they upgrade the skill position players on offense and try to make sure he develops his passing ability, he can be a good starting QB in the NFL. Definitely needs to improve on his intermediate and deep passing game though, #1 priority for him. Could also make him more efficient as a runner if teams have to be aware of that.
He’ll likely never be a starting QB quality passer. He’d need an absolutely loaded team around him to win championships, like back in his college days or another OU QB in Baker.

I know an obvious comp is Lamar who has had success, but he is a better passer (IMO) and has always been a more dangerous runner. And to go back to someone I’ve already mentioned, saying ‘if only he improves his intermediate and deep passing game’ is like saying ‘if only Baker could learn to put some touch on his passes and deliver in the clutch’. We’ve been waiting on it for years already and it hasn’t happened.

RoadTrip

Agree he’s earned the right. There really aren’t many others out there who could immediately come in and do better. Having said that, if they really believe in a young guy they have serious draft capital. Isn’t it 3 picks in the top 19? They could also use those to obtain some game changing players around Hurts and on the D. Personally I’d keep Hurts and use those 3 picks on top quality talent rather than bet the house on a better QB. Other than Wilson or Rodgers (or Carr, who the Raiders would be outright bonkers to let go, and Watson who may or may not be viable), there’s no one really worth getting. They could draft a QB with one of their 3 picks but they should not IMO begin trading up etc.

RoadTrip

He’ll likely never be a starting QB quality passer. He’d need an absolutely loaded team around him to win championships, like back in his college days or another OU QB in Baker.

I know an obvious comp is Lamar who has had success, but he is a better passer (IMO) and has always been a more dangerous runner. And to go back to someone I’ve already mentioned, saying ‘if only he improves his intermediate and deep passing game’ is like saying ‘if only Baker could learn to put some touch on his passes and deliver in the clutch’. We’ve been waiting on it for years already and it hasn’t happened.
I agree Lamar comp is silly at this point but I definitely wouldn’t say he can’t win a SB without a totally stacked team, yet. He has potential to develop and who knows, he might. It’s too early to make a call IMO on him being non-starter level. Some do go on and improve. Some don’t. Some regress. He’s only really had this season. I think he’s done enough to justify another year as starter. And at the end of next season, a more certain (although obviously never perfect) can be made of him, I think.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Don't disagree, but you really gonna take a QB in this class which no one is particularly raving about?

Disagree about Lamar though, who has improved his passing in the NFL imo and the Ravens have continually game planned their offense around his strenghts, which is something the Eagles haven't done yet or haven't done yet sufficiently at least. I'm also not saying Hurts need to become an elite passer, just "passable". Which is simply improving his current ability, not taking it to an unachievable level for him. It'd be too soon to give up on him for the Eagles imo after only one full season (in which they made the playoffs and showed some promise as well). I'd ride it out with Hurts for at least one more year.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Don't disagree, but you really gonna take a QB in this class which no one is particularly raving about?

Disagree about Lamar though, who has improved his passing in the NFL imo and the Ravens have continually game planned their offense around his strenghts, which is something the Eagles haven't done yet or haven't done yet sufficiently at least. I'm also not saying Hurts need to become an elite passer, just "passable". Which is simply improving his current ability, not taking it to an unachievable level for him. It'd be too soon to give up on him for the Eagles imo after only one full season (in which they made the playoffs and showed some promise as well). I'd ride it out with Hurts for at least one more year.
I agree with you entirely on running it back with Hurts, and using this draft to add talent outside of a QB and plug the holes in the roster. But that is with a view to building a team for another QB to take over later.

In college we had NFL talent around him and still had to change to a run-first team. I just don’t see it happening because you have to have a special team to win with only ‘passable’ performance from your QB in the air.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I mean the fining discrepancy for different incidents is bonkers, but it was out of order and I thought as much when I saw it! Surprised that a bigger thing wasn’t made out of it at the time to be honest!
It wasn’t Woody Hayes-esque, but it definitely was out of order.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Ends longest playoff win drought across the 4 major sports, and got done like that on the same night :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.