NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I like reading about the drafts but don't know the players so basically trust the media who report on it.... if they say "such and such needed X position, got it", ok.

But reading Raiders took three Safety's in five picks seems an odd one? Any reason?
It's the Raiders. They're kinda known for going off-script in the draft. Tbf, their secondary was in shambles last season. I remember watching them get constantly carved up in Dec.

Their biggest headscratcher in this year's draft came on day 1 when they picked Alex Leatherwood (OT) at #17. Most draft experts had him as a late round 2 or even round 3 selection.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's the Raiders. They're kinda known for going off-script in the draft. Tbf, their secondary was in shambles last season. I remember watching them get constantly carved up in Dec.

Their biggest headscratcher in this year's draft came on day 1 when they picked Alex Leatherwood (OT) at #17. Most draft experts had him as a late round 2 or even round 3 selection.
From what I see one of them could be a cover linebacker/big nickel. The fourth round guy is most likely just a depth pick and a better value than getting a free agent.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
From what I see one of them could be a cover linebacker/big nickel. The fourth round guy is most likely just a depth pick and a better value than getting a free agent.
Thanks.

Taking a 'depth pick' in round 4 still suggests "we're fine elsewhere, this is the next priority".

But I like I say, don't know the team squads, where they are in their 'plan' and the rationale. Just couldn't see another team picking 3 out of 5 in one position. Interesting.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks.

Taking a 'depth pick' in round 4 still suggests "we're fine elsewhere, this is the next priority".

But I like I say, don't know the team squads, where they are in their 'plan' and the rationale. Just couldn't see another team picking 3 out of 5 in one position. Interesting.
From the bottom of the third, you are picking with depth in mind, these rookies are unlikely to contribute as starters early in their careers at the exception of maybe safeties and running backs. For the most part you are picking for depth and bolster your special teams(returners, gunners, punt/kick coverage guys...).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Cowboys 2nd round pick Kelvin Joseph is in the running for the next Pacman Jones of the league. Watch this space. His rap studio moniker is Bossman Fat.

(from ESPN draft page)
Post-Draft Analysis
Joseph had five pass deflections and four interceptions at Kentucky in nine games before opting out of the final two games of the season. He started his career at LSU but transferred. Are there some focus worries? He has released six music albums and was suspended for the bowl game at LSU. But the Cowboys have yearned for speed and ball skills in the secondary. He has the speed (4.34 40-yard dash time) and he made plays last year before he opted out. -- Todd Archer

Anyone know why he transferred from LSU and the bowl suspension reason?

lsd

The Oracle
Cowboys 2nd round pick Kelvin Joseph is in the running for the next Pacman Jones of the league. Watch this space. His rap studio moniker is Bossman Fat.

(from ESPN draft page)
Post-Draft Analysis
Joseph had five pass deflections and four interceptions at Kentucky in nine games before opting out of the final two games of the season. He started his career at LSU but transferred. Are there some focus worries? He has released six music albums and was suspended for the bowl game at LSU. But the Cowboys have yearned for speed and ball skills in the secondary. He has the speed (4.34 40-yard dash time) and he made plays last year before he opted out. -- Todd Archer

Violating team rules whatever they were. Seems most of the Cowboys picks have had troubled pasts. Jerry does seem to love that.

Strange draft for us I am pleased with what we got especially Parsons and Cox.

Not sure we got our first choices by all accounts we wanted to trade up to number six but the price was too high and certainly lost out on some picks. However who knows ?

Time will tell

Tiber

(from ESPN draft page)
Post-Draft Analysis

Id be rather more worried about the other Cowboys draft pick who has 11 separate accusations of violence against a former girlfriend.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Id be rather more worried about the other Cowboys draft pick who has 11 separate accusations of violence against a former girlfriend.
Damn. How is that even possible, eleven accusations on the same victim? Wow.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That must be the one my buddy mentioned "dating violence" accusations. Why even consider drafting a player with that much potential legal baggage and probable aggression issues?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/c...marshall-ot-josh-ball-at-no-138-in-nfl-draft/
Cowboys select Marshall OT Josh Ball at No. 138, who brings a history of off-the-field issues
In November 2017, Ball and the victim reached a joint resolution in the domestic violence case. While Ball wasn’t charged with a crime, the victim filed a petition for an injunction for protection against Ball, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Court records revealed there were 11 incidents where Ball displayed aggressive verbal and physical abuse.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Super pumped for my Eagles. Love our picks. That offense is going to be special.
I loved Kenneth Gainwell. Went later than I expected probably due to him running a slightly slower 40 than expected.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That must be the one my buddy mentioned "dating violence" accusations. Why even consider drafting a player with that much potential legal baggage and probable aggression issues?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/c...marshall-ot-josh-ball-at-no-138-in-nfl-draft/
Cowboys select Marshall OT Josh Ball at No. 138, who brings a history of off-the-field issues
In November 2017, Ball and the victim reached a joint resolution in the domestic violence case. While Ball wasn’t charged with a crime, the victim filed a petition for an injunction for protection against Ball, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Court records revealed there were 11 incidents where Ball displayed aggressive verbal and physical abuse.
Their whole draft was basically targeting draft value by ignoring off-field concerns. Bold strategy.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Miami did something this year that we never do, added players who can make game breaking plays.
Read today that Miami was taking the UNC RB Williams before Denver jumped right in front of them. Then you really would’ve had some game-breakers.

Hephaestus

Must say, it's so much more fun to watch this kind of meltdown when it isn't your team/QB fighting.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The more I’ve had some time to digest it, the more I’m starting to feel like this will work out a la Carson Palmer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Plot twist - Deshaun's case gets settled, then gets swapped for Rodgers plus a few draft picks.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
AJ Hawk said today on the Pat McAfee show that he thinks there's zero chance Rodgers retires. I'm not sure how this plays out but I'm kinda hoping the Packers trade him and the Broncos would be a fun landing spot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
AJ Hawk said today on the Pat McAfee show that he thinks there's zero chance Rodgers retires. I'm not sure how this plays out but I'm kinda hoping the Packers trade him and the Broncos would be a fun landing spot.
Bayless suggested today that the Packers are impressed with Jordan Love's progression and that he's been looking mildly Mahomes-like in practice.

Tiber

Read today that Miami was taking the UNC RB Williams before Denver jumped right in front of them. Then you really would’ve had some game-breakers.
Alas yes. There has been talk we wanted to trade up into the bottom of the first for him, then it looked like he was about to fall to us with the Texans pick. Real shame.

Very happy with our draft, but still sad to miss out on Pitts and a rb

lsd

The Oracle

Yeah only good thing about him is i seriously doubt he will make it out of training camp but yeah strange pick especially with his record

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The bleeding hearts are saying we should do the right thing and still pay him; I’m like, we’ve already been paying him without him playing for almost 2 years!
Yea feck that, I don’t think we owe him a damned thing to be perfectly frank. 65 snaps and from what I remember hearing he made himself pretty unpopular in the locker room by opting out last year after his injury issues in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.