NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't get why everything needs to be decided so quickly. Just do it drive by drive starting from the 20 until one team is outcored.

Sylar

Seattle comeback against the Packers in 2014 NFC Championship game definitely worth a mention as well. 16-0 'till midway through the 3th when Seattle scored a TD on a fake punt, and it was 19-7 until right before the 2min warning. Then the recovered onside kick and Lynch TD, that 2PT conversion heave by Wilson, I'll never forget it.

The Julio Jones one at the end of the game was even better :drool:
That game gives me nightmares. Seriously
I was just shellshocked

The collapse was something else.even now it's the worst packers game I've ever seen, cos when they needed to score McCarthy finally allowed the offence to move and Rodgers got into FG range in no time

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Interesting thread, especially the comparisons to Burrow, Brady and Mahomes.

I thought he flat out sucked last Saturday though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Apart from this week, I don’t think he’s been bad in play offs at all. But stats like this can’t capture that ability to just drag a team to a win. Because it’s all so contextualised and intangible. Sometimes it just isn’t his fault - the Seahawks game for example. But sometimes you never get the impression he’s inspiring and elevating the performances of others to eek out close games.

I know it’s so subjective but if it happens over and over again it just can’t be ignored. It’s not just about making great stats over a game, but making great plays at specific times. Don’t know how you easily capture that in game - average stats like these

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Looks like Brady is seriously considering retirement based on his comments.

I wouldn't like it if this is how it ends. He deserves a proper send-off season.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

I wouldn't like it if this is how it ends. He deserves a proper send-off season.
He has already had like 20 of those. Should have picked one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If he won this year, I’d buy into it. But now I would bet on Tommy being back and playing until 45 like he said he wanted to.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If only Brady had retired after leaving the Patriots. His last ever play for them would have been a great way to bow out.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

He is still regularly watching the Superbowl on TV.
He often can not make the right play in decisive plays. That is not necessarily bad, but also not great.

EDIT: Also in this chart, to say that he has got just 4 below average games is not really the whole picture, because you would assume that he had 17 above average games - but of those at least 5 are just about above average. And how many are standout performances 4, 5, 6?

Last edited:

RoadTrip

I really think it’ll depend on what kind of team Tampa puts together. Similar in a way to Rodgers. I don’t think Brady will want to play if Tampa ends up going into a bit of a transition. I don’t think they will, if they know Brady is coming back contingent of having a championship roster, they’ll go all out to put it together. But I think that’s a key part of the equation. Obviously there will also be the private stuff with his family as part of the decision too, which will also be a critical part of the decision.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We’ll probably see him back for one more year to achieve his goal. Next year will be it.
WIll probably retire at the age of 55 with more rings than fingers when he finally sees alto post "hey, that Tom Brady's actually not too bad at this football stuff".

RoadTrip

WIll probably retire at the age of 55 with more rings than fingers when he finally sees alto post "hey, that Tom Brady's actually not too bad at this football stuff".
Alto would only ever write that if he was gonna be paid a million bucks, and even then it’s still an um and ah situation

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His last play for NE was a pick 6 wasn’t it?
If only he retired on that :lol:

Instead he had to go and win another superb owl after his magic powers kicked in and his team won 2 straight games while he did his level best to make them lose :(

Mike Smalling

We’ll probably see him back for one more year to achieve his goal. Next year will be it.
He's gotta be thinking long and hard about how this team will develop going into next season. There are some major names going into free agency. Godwin, Jensen, Fournette, JPP, Whitehead, Cappa, Ronald Jones.

Unless he is certain that they have a good shot at the Super Bowl, I can't see him coming back.

Sylar

He is still regularly watching the Superbowl on TV.
He often can not make the right play in decisive plays. That is not necessarily bad, but also not great.

EDIT: Also in this chart, to say that he has got just 4 below average games is not really the whole picture, because you would assume that he had 17 above average games - but of those at least 5 are just about above average. And how many are standout performances 4, 5, 6?
He had some good standout performances in the games when packers won the Super Bowl
Also in some of the OT losses too. Think he's lost three in OT, one which should have been a face mask call on him, and the other two where he didn't touch the ball
The falcons loss he was always behind and didn't stand a chance. Same with the Niners one where Kap just ran through our defence

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Wow, apparently Payton has informed the Saints he is walking away.
Wow. There were some people talking confidently enough about those rumors I thought they were shot down.

It’d be funny after everyone suggesting Jerry fire MM for Quinn he was actually waiting on Payton.

lsd

The Oracle

I would have liked seeing the Referees giving him a Guard of Honour had they known it would be their God's last season

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What the feck. One of the best out there, and still only 58. That'd be a huge miss for the Saints.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Best Saints insider out there saying it's a retirement (not that that means much, but he won't be coaching next season I guess).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He's gotta be thinking long and hard about how this team will develop going into next season. There are some major names going into free agency. Godwin, Jensen, Fournette, JPP, Whitehead, Cappa, Ronald Jones.

Unless he is certain that they have a good shot at the Super Bowl, I can't see him coming back.
Jensen has stated he wants to stay with Tampa Bay, so that's a plus. We can lose JPP with Troyinka (my mashup) in the wings. We are decent with salary cap issues so we might not need to franchise Godwin & use it on Davis. Don't see us keeping both Fournette & RoJo, we can lose one with how Vaughn emerged a bit late in the season. Fournette would be my choice & has made some overtures that he wants to stay with TB as well. Cappa & Whitehead would be great to reclaim. But, all that could get blown out of the water with Brady's decision. Bucs' beat writers are edging towards him coming back, but are admittedly mostly in the dark, having not developed much of a relationship with Brady due to Covid restrictions, etc.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Based on something I saw on Twitter: is Matt Stafford 2 wins away from becoming a HOF'er?

For context:
12th all-time passing yards
11th all-time completions
12th all-time passing TDs
All-time leader for all QB categories for the Lions
Supported the two highest yardage total seasons for WRs in history

Add a SB title and potential SB MVP to that resume, and a few more active years... Biggest knock on him is no MVP votes, no first or second team All-Pro votes whatsoever, and relative lack of noteworthy playoff performances (until this season).

I'd say no, but at least the discussion is there to be had should the Rams win it all this season imo. Might have a stronger claim than someone like Rivers who has never been to the SB. Manning and Big Ben are probably locks with 2 each, even if many disagree on that.

RoadTrip

Based on something I saw on Twitter: is Matt Stafford 2 wins away from becoming a HOF'er?

For context:
12th all-time passing yards
11th all-time completions
12th all-time passing TDs
All-time leader for all QB categories for the Lions
Supported the two highest yardage total seasons for WRs in history

Add a SB title and potential SB MVP to that resume, and a few more active years... Biggest knock on him is no MVP votes, no first or second team All-Pro votes whatsoever, and relative lack of noteworthy playoff performances (until this season).

I'd say no, but at least the discussion is there to be had should the Rams win it all this season imo. Might have a stronger claim than someone like Rivers who has never been to the SB. Manning and Big Ben are probably locks with 2 each, even if many disagree on that.
I think he has a great shot if he wins the SB. Those stats will only continue to climb the ranks as he continues playing, too. It’s not a slam dunk, but he will certainly be on the cusp.

Status
Not open for further replies.