NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do we know how much of Green Bay's offense was him and not just LaFleur or Rodgers? It's not like the Jags' 2016-2018 offense was anything worth remembering, as far as I can remember myself.

At the very least they finally get an offensive minded HC in and there's the obvious link with Rodgers and/or Adams now, so good hire I guess.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Do we know how much of Green Bay's offense was him and not just LaFleur or Rodgers? It's not like the Jags' 2016-2018 offense was anything worth remembering, as far as I can remember myself.

At the very least they finally get an offensive minded HC in and there's the obvious link with Rodgers and/or Adams now, so good hire I guess.
Well, he got a Blake Bortles led offense to over 400 points and one quarter away from the Super Bowl after putting a 45 spot on the Steelers in the Divisional round.

He‘s very well liked amongst both players and coaches, much like Dan Quinn, which I think is an underrated aspect. HCs that are liked and respected can attract better assistant coaches because those guys want to work for them, which can make all the difference.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Stats were different for QBs in those days, unless you were Dan Marino or on a Bill Walsh super-team. From the start he was a great athlete; both he and Marino were drafted by the MLB. Still the highest rated QB in the draft ever for some and was the 1st taken out of the best QB draft ever, so that reputation sticks.

Dragged some poor teams to 3 SBs with clutch play - including one of the most famous game-winning drives ever - before getting stomped by a stronger team from the NFC, which was in the middle of winning 13 straight SBs (until that streak was stopped by Elway). Then won 2, being the MVP in the second.

I was too young to really watch him in his prime, but somebody on twitter posted some clips the other day and I was like ‘Holy shit that looks just like Josh Allen!’, so that would be his modern day comp for me.
Thanks!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hackett has always struck me more as a motivator rather than some offensive mastermind. That's no bad for a head coach, but success will be limited by his OC/DC hires. And if he gets Rodgers of course.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well, he got a Blake Bortles led offense to over 400 points and one quarter away from the Super Bowl after putting a 45 spot on the Steelers in the Divisional round.

He‘s very well liked amongst both players and coaches, much like Dan Quinn, which I think is an underrated aspect. HCs that are liked and respected can attract better assistant coaches because those guys want to work for them, which can make all the difference.
I was gonna say. His QB was Blake Bortles and he was still a questionable call in favour of the Pats away from very likely helping the Jags to the fecking Super Bowl.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Cheers. Don't remember much from that good Jags season tbh, in my memory it was solely their stellar defense which carried them to the Championship game.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am a little confused as to why they traded Von Miller if the plan was to get Rodgers,you need as many win now players in your team as possible

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I am a little confused as to why they traded Von Miller if the plan was to get Rodgers,you need as many win now players in your team as possible
Because he was a FA at the end of the season and they got decent picks for him in a year they were never going to the playoffs and stood to potentially lose him for nothing. He also commented he’d be open to coming back, although he may want to stay in LA if they end up going all the way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hackett has always struck me more as a motivator rather than some offensive mastermind. That's no bad for a head coach, but success will be limited by his OC/DC hires. And if he gets Rodgers of course.
It’ll be interesting if he looks to bring Getsy in as OC.

RoadTrip

It’s a decent hire for the Broncos. As others said OC/DC will be key. And the hire will be even more important if it brings that kid Rodgers over.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I could see him staying with the Packers as the new OC
I somehow missed that we interviewed him already for HC. So we’ve already made inroads in that regard.
Yea I always figured Getsy was in the list as realistically a coordinator interview, and from what I’ve read those two are pretty tight and Rodgers has spoken very highly of both.

I’m really starting to think the three of them could all be coming.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yea I always figured Getsy was in the list as realistically a coordinator interview, and from what I’ve read those two are pretty tight and Rodgers has spoken very highly of both.

I’m really starting to think the three of them could all be coming.
Adams also name-checked Getsy in interviews regarding how important he’s been for that offense.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Adams also name-checked Getsy in interviews regarding how important he’s been for that offense.
If we have to include Jeudy in a Rodgers trade it would be incredible to land him too, but he’s nailed on to get tagged so would be mega expensive and when we’re fully healthy we have a lot of weapons already to justify the outlay.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I was gonna say. His QB was Blake Bortles and he was still a questionable call in favour of the Pats away from very likely helping the Jags to the fecking Super Bowl.
But on the other hand he also got fired by the jags the next year because they were crap.

Gandalf

Random question. As someone who never saw Elway (too young/didn’t watch NFL then), why is he rated so highly and in the HOF? His stats are not great, obviously has the Bowls though. Just interested
The stats are very misleading and the reality is that most of the QBs in the Hall of Fame have stats that look terrible by todays standards because of the way the game was played in their era. In the modern game it is practically impossible to touch the QB or his Receivers without drawing a penalty whereas when Elway was playing and in earlier eras a lot more contact was allowed which made it far tougher to complete passes and also interceptions were more likely. Elway did lift some talent poor rosters into the playoffs and made it to 5 Super Bowls but he might have missed the HOF if he had not won the last 2. The original 3 trips were so bad that Broncos fans almost dreaded going back as they came at a time when the NFC just dominated the AFC in the big game. I would say as a non Broncos fan but as someone who saw his entire career, he certainly deserves to be in the HOF and probably more so than some of the stat padders who are getting in now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The stats are very misleading and the reality is that most of the QBs in the Hall of Fame have stats that look terrible by todays standards because of the way the game was played in their era. In the modern game it is practically impossible to touch the QB or his Receivers without drawing a penalty whereas when Elway was playing and in earlier eras a lot more contact was allowed which made it far tougher to complete passes and also interceptions were more likely. Elway did lift some talent poor rosters into the playoffs and made it to 5 Super Bowls but he might have missed the HOF if he had not won the last 2. The original 3 trips were so bad that Broncos fans almost dreaded going back as they came at a time when the NFC just dominated the AFC in the big game. I would say as a non Broncos fan but as someone who saw his entire career, he certainly deserves to be in the HOF and probably more so than some of the stat padders who are getting in now.
Good post.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Random question. As someone who never saw Elway (too young/didn’t watch NFL then), why is he rated so highly and in the HOF? His stats are not great, obviously has the Bowls though. Just interested
Watched him from beginning to end.

Great QB with grit, leadership, very good scrambler, and a cannon of an arm. He was especially gifted at 4th quarter comebacks. The Dan Reeves teams he was apart of were good, but not great and yet he still managed 5 Super Bowl appearances which is 2nd only to Brady. Alongside Marino, comfortably the best of his generation. When I watch the likes of Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers; they all have a bit of John Elway in them.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Helpful context - thanks - and all makes sense!

I kinda was just surprised by Elways stats. But after a bit more exploring at QBs like Montana and Favre etc. it’s clear it’s just purely an era thing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Helpful context - thanks - and all makes sense!

I kinda was just surprised by Elways stats. But after a bit more exploring at QBs like Montana and Favre etc. it’s clear it’s just purely an era thing.
Look at Favre’s TD / INT stats, he makes Winston’s 30/30 season look far less horrendous.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But on the other hand he also got fired by the jags the next year because they were crap.
Yeah but by then the defence was in disarray, almost in revolt, because all their good work was being undone by an incompetent QB. Jalen Ramsey and co were firing indirect shots at Bortles and the management every week. The entire franchise descended into a circus act.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

And Quinn staying put. That's only the Dolphins, Texans and Vikings left for HC positions, right?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This makes me think MM is getting canned and Jerry has told Quinn he’s getting promoted.
That or Quinn wanted Denver and Hackett was our first choice. There was also talk he wanted the Giants but that’s down to Flores or Daboll, so who knows.

RoadTrip

I would be upset if Flores doesn’t get another shot elsewhere. Yeah he wasn’t perfect at the Phins, but by all accounts and his results I truly think he should be getting another shot quickly. Can see a team like the Giants going for him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Saints are putting the feelers out for Leftwich. I'd imagine the frontrunner for the job remains Dennis Allen.

RoadTrip

McDaniels seems to be a front runner for the Raiders. Has kind of come out of nowhere really, he hasn’t even talked of much in this cycle although has been a regular in previous cycles across the board.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don't really understand why Bieniemy was such a hot candidate last year, then puts in another excellent offensive season with the Chiefs, and now that a shitload of teams were looking for a new HC, he barely gets a look-in it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.