NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Bucs have kept a hold of Godwin and David so far. If they somehow keep Shaq as well that would be really annoying. I was certain they’d lose one of those three.

They added 3 voidable years to it too - meaning he only counts $3.5m to the cap this year.

Tampa haven’t kicked cap down the road at all so have the most cap for ‘22 I believe. This year is the year to kick cap down the road but hopefully not get into a Saints like situation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The innerwebs have been abuzz with Russ going to Chicago. Betting sites taking down prop bets on it happening, da Bears’ SB odds shifting, Josina Anderson tweeting ominous...tweets. All solid sources of info, of course.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rodgers & Russ in the same division would be fun.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The Chiefs have released Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz :eek: Did they... not watch the Super Bowl?

JJ12

The Chiefs have released Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz :eek: Did they... not watch the Super Bowl?
Wonder what they have up their sleeve - I thought Schwartz was their best guy on the o-line too

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are still over the cap, they couldn't afford them at those prices.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
They are still over the cap, they couldn't afford them at those prices.
The Chiefs could have gotten below the cap without releasing either of them though (particularly Schwartz).

JPRouve

Scout
The Chiefs could have gotten below the cap without releasing either of them though (particularly Schwartz).
I don't see it. From what I see they had 4 candidates for restructure/extension Mathieu, Hill, Schwartz and Fisher. It's not in Hill, Schwartz and Fisher interest to restructure their contracts because their current contracts are probably below their worth in the open market and cutting Mathieu alone wouldn't put them under the cap but Mathieu can be convinced to be extended and manage his current cap number because he is a 29 years backfield player and on a large contract.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Wonder what they have up their sleeve - I thought Schwartz was their best guy on the o-line too
Both were over 30 and coming back from major injury. They still won every game Schwartz’s replacement started at RT, and have a young opt-out coming back that they liked. It‘s also a deep OT class in the draft.

It‘s risky but more logical than it appears at first when you factor in you can’t be certain they’ll be back to full strength anytime soon; one was an Achilles and the other a back surgery.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Mahomes should have married a supermodel

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I don't see it. From what I see they had 4 candidates for restructure/extension Mathieu, Hill, Schwartz and Fisher. It's not in Hill, Schwartz and Fisher interest to restructure their contracts because their current contracts are probably below their worth in the open market and cutting Mathieu alone wouldn't put them under the cap but Mathieu can be convinced to be extended and manage his current cap number because he is a 29 years backfield player and on a large contract.
Extend Mathieu (saves $10.1m) and convert a portion of Mahomes' (saves $4.8m), Jones' (saves $5.3m) and Kelce's (saves $6.2m) roster bonus. That's over $26m saved on the cap without even restructuring Hill which was another option.

JPRouve

Scout
Extend Mathieu (saves $10.1m) and convert a portion of Mahomes' (saves $4.8m), Jones' (saves $5.3m) and Kelce's (saves $6.2m) roster bonus. That's over $26m saved on the cap without even restructuring Hill which was another option.
That's not enough, they wouldn't have enough money to sign their draft class, let alone replace some of their current free agents(Sorensen, Breeland and Watkins in particular). They needed to cut expensive players, convert some contracts and restructure someone.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
That's not enough, they wouldn't have enough money to sign their draft class, let alone replace some of their current free agents(Sorensen, Breeland and Watkins in particular). They needed to cut expensive players, convert some contracts and restructure someone.
It's not far off though (and as I said I didn't include Hill in those figures either) so cutting Fischer and Schwartz wasn't a must. Regardless, cutting Fischer probably makes sense. His cost against the cap was pretty high and he might have missed the entire season anyway with that achilles injury. Maybe Schwartz's injury issues played a part in him being cut too.

JPRouve

Scout
It's not far off though (and as I said I didn't include Hill in those figures either) so cutting Fischer and Schwartz wasn't a must. Regardless, cutting Fischer probably makes sense. His cost against the cap was pretty high and he might have missed the entire season anyway with that achilles injury. Maybe Schwartz's injury issues played a part in him being cut too.
The point wasn't about being far off but what they can actually do. Even if you restructure Hill, you still need a dozen of millions to replace two starters. Also you are just kicking money down the line because all the conversation that you made add up to future cap years.

JPRouve

Scout
Yay, come back to Santa Clara so Jimmy can overthrow you again.
Is he going to be the QB? There is the rumour about the Patriots, maybe you get Cousins, he is accurate.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
The point wasn't about being far off but what they can actually do. Even if you restructure Hill, you still need a dozen of millions to replace two starters. Also you are just kicking money down the line because all the conversation that you made add up to future cap years.
Why are you assuming they'll replace those two starters in free agency? Deandre Baker will likely replace Breeland, he's already on their roster. Someone who's already there could replace Sorenson too. Or they could draft someone to replace him with one of their 8 picks. And yes converting the roster bonus kicks money down the line but the salary cap continually rises year on year (apart from this year for obvious reasons).

YAMS49

Is he going to be the QB? There is the rumour about the Patriots, maybe you get Cousins, he is accurate.
Hopefully we move on from Jimmy. Shanahan plays his cards very close to his chest over roster situ's so it's tough to read too much in to gossip. He's always had a boner for Cousins so could be a possibility. Darnold had been floated around as well due to Saleh connections but it seems a lazy link to me. We have Rosen signed as back up so he could also be given a proper opportunity at a roster spot if he wants to get his head down & learn the system.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hopefully we move on from Jimmy. Shanahan plays his cards very close to his chest over roster situ's so it's tough to read too much in to gossip. He's always had a boner for Cousins so could be a possibility. Darnold had been floated around as well due to Saleh connections but it seems a lazy link to me. We have Rosen signed as back up so he could also be given a proper opportunity at a roster spot if he wants to get his head down & learn the system.
I wouldn’t say it’s a lazy Saleh connection; Kyle wanting to move on from Jimmy and Darnold probably being traded for a ~2nd rounder with the Jets are taking a QB at #2 are some of the NFL’s ‘worst kept secrets’. You might say it’s 2+2=...never mind, I couldn’t find a way to salvage that joke.

JPRouve

Scout
Why are you assuming they'll replace those two starters in free agency? Deandre Baker will likely replace Breeland, he's already on their roster. Someone who's already there could replace Sorenson too. Or they could draft someone to replace him with one of their 8 picks. And yes converting the roster bonus kicks money down the line but the salary cap continually rises year on year (apart from this year for obvious reasons).
I assume that they are going draft Olinemen this year because the draft is supposed to be full of talented prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if they replace Watkins throught the draft too. Safeties are relatively cheap in free agency, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's their choice and I don't if they are going to put their eggs in the Baker basket when he had a big injury in January and barely played since 2019, so here again I could see a team that is in a Superbowl window go with a veteran player.

But then again I'm only speculating.

YAMS49

I wouldn’t say it’s a lazy Saleh connection; Kyle wanting to move on from Jimmy and Darnold probably being traded for a ~2nd rounder with the Jets are taking a QB at #2 are some of the NFL’s ‘worst kept secrets’. You might say it’s 2+2=...never mind, I couldn’t find a way to salvage that joke.
If you take Darnold you get one years contract grace & then pay him for the 5th year. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I think he's had a real rough deal with Gase & is better than he's showing but I'd still prefer us pick up a Fitzmagic or Smith maybe and take a rookie in the 2nd/3rd. Someone like Trask or Newman perhaps. If we go QB at 12 I'd be surprised, unless Fields slides.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If you take Darnold you get one years contract grace & then pay him for the 5th year. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I think he's had a real rough deal with Gase & is better than he's showing but I'd still prefer us pick up a Fitzmagic or Smith maybe and take a rookie in the 2nd/3rd. Someone like Trask or Newman perhaps. If we go QB at 12 I'd be surprised, unless Fields slides.
One NFL comparison for Mac Jones is Matt Ryan, so that’s come up due to Kyle’s success with him - but that really is a lazy connection. Besides, the way some people are talking he might not be there at #12.

YAMS49

One NFL comparison for Mac Jones is Matt Ryan, so that’s come up due to Kyle’s success with him - but that really is a lazy connection. Besides, the way some people are talking he might not be there at #12.
Jones is overhyped to me, he's had elite weapons creating space for him. I also expect someone to reach on him before 12. Fields or Lance could slide definitely. The latter needs to sit for a year imo but has massive potential. I'd take Fields IF he fell to 12, otherwise I'd trade down if we could find a willing partner.

I expect us to either move Jimmy on next week or trade him during the draft. We need to hope there's competition for him, as does he actually.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Going off his performances last year, no way is Cam a starter anymore. Great deal for Cam, even if the $14m is mostly incentivised (which I’m hoping it is).

Let’s see what we do with WR/TE positions...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Welcome to QB purgatory, Bill. :cool:

Well, I say that, but watch him grab Mond from A&M and turn him into a superstar using his black magic.

JJ12

Status
Not open for further replies.